Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by PiEdude on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:After watching the subtitled version, you are clearly playing as a Spartan III.

"Didn't think anyone survived Pegasi, sir."

Pegasi Delta was of course the covenant refinery which was attacked by the Spartan Threes in Ghost of Onyx, making the main character 12 years old.

Pegasi took place in 2545, and Reach takes place in 2552.

The Beta S-IIIs were born in 2533 (based on Tom-B292's age) and so that would make whoever that is (assuming it is a Spartan III) 19 at the time of reach.

Math skillz, FTW!
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Age : 26
Location : In the middle of a hollowed crust.
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:09 pm

Ringleader wrote:See, thats a PROBLEM, when you cant clearly identify who is who, despite this absurd amount of variability in appearance.
I agree with Ring here. Really, I thought at least a third was ODSTs... Wait a second...

Was that BUCK?!?
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Age : 20
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Ringleader on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised, remember in ODST they made that little aside? "HEY BUCK, HOW YOU MAKE IT OFF REACH?!!?!?!?!?111"

I have a feeling the story is about to get a bit to inclusive, and convenient, like Buck, and MC were long lost twins, and Halsey was their mom or something, some SHEAAAT, like animesqe story structure.

Remember when you could just, kill a grunt or to and not have to jump through an intellectual loophole? Dang....
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

CivBase wrote:I suppose that would make sense. Were they augmented enough to handle MJOLNIR?
Either that, or they were given a downgraded version.

Also, this explains why they had to check his file. He transfered from S-III to S-II.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Age : 20
Location : California
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Divine Virus on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Looks like we won't have to wait too long for the BETA...

Early Next year, Spring. http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/105/1054797p1.html
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:40 am

I don't know how feasible that is. SPARTAN-III Beta Company were all killed except Tom and Lucy in 2545, and then helped Kurt-051 train Gamma Company. Gamma Company was deployed in 2552, yes, but they received augmentation and were deployed some three weeks or so after Reach fell. They weren't in time for Reach.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:49 am

I have two theories.

1: It's Kurt, even though that makes little sense, I think I just want to be him.

2: There was one other survivor, which ONI covered up (Like Kurt's 'death',) and I heard some ideas say he was ackerson's personal spartan or something like that, which I think is possible, knowing Ackerson's record.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Death no More on Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:36 am

PiEdude wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote:After watching the subtitled version, you are clearly playing as a Spartan III.

"Didn't think anyone survived Pegasi, sir."

Pegasi Delta was of course the covenant refinery which was attacked by the Spartan Threes in Ghost of Onyx, making the main character 12 years old.

Pegasi took place in 2545, and Reach takes place in 2552.

The Beta S-IIIs were born in 2533 (based on Tom-B292's age) and so that would make whoever that is (assuming it is a Spartan III) 19 at the time of reach.

Math skillz, FTW!
But it couldn't be Tom or Lucy >.> They're training the next batch of Spartan III's, and they were the only survivors(Unless im getting one of their missions mixed up).
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Age : 24
Location : Spreading Holy convergence in the sprawl.
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by PiEdude on Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:13 am

Death no more wrote:
PiEdude wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote:After watching the subtitled version, you are clearly playing as a Spartan III.

"Didn't think anyone survived Pegasi, sir."

Pegasi Delta was of course the covenant refinery which was attacked by the Spartan Threes in Ghost of Onyx, making the main character 12 years old.

Pegasi took place in 2545, and Reach takes place in 2552.

The Beta S-IIIs were born in 2533 (based on Tom-B292's age) and so that would make whoever that is (assuming it is a Spartan III) 19 at the time of reach.

Math skillz, FTW!
But it couldn't be Tom or Lucy >.> They're training the next batch of Spartan III's, and they were the only survivors(Unless im getting one of their missions mixed up).

Oh, it's not, I was'n't implying that. Or at least I didn't mean to.

I'm saying that if it were another survivor from Pegasi (retconning bastards) he/she would be 19 years old.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Age : 26
Location : In the middle of a hollowed crust.
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:23 am

Not a retcon is ONI Covered it up

Gotta love ONI and their ability to fuck with canon

Razz

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:09 am

Except that there is no way Tom and Lucy would have missed another survivor, considering they had a TACMAP and were camping the escape vehicles.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:18 am

IT'S A COVERUP I SAY!!!!

ONI found a dead Spartan, and revived him.

Then they made him Ackerson's personal bitch.

ONI YOU CLEVER ANTICANON FOOLS!

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by CivBase on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:29 am

Clever girl...

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:40 am

CivBase wrote:Clever girl...

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:56 am

Vigil wrote:Not a retcon is ONI Covered it up

Gotta love ONI and their ability to fuck with canon

Razz
Actually, if you check, it never QUITE says that Tom and Lucy were the only ones left.
It just says that they were the only ones they could find immediately after the battle. Kinda like how the MC is the 'last Spartan left'.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Dud Doodoo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:47 pm

Even though Lucy was supposedly training the next generation, the main character clearly being the silent type makes me wonder...

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by KrAzY on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:51 pm

when did bungie fall into the "silent main character" archtype anyways?


the MC was fairly vocal... just because gordon freeman is popular and has less lines than the person who dies in scene one of a movie doesn't mean main characters shouldn't talk...
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by CivBase on Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:59 pm

It's easier as a game developer to not set a predetermined attitude for the main character.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:02 pm

KrAzY wrote:when did bungie fall into the "silent main character" archtype anyways?


the MC was fairly vocal... just because gordon freeman is popular and has less lines than the person who dies in scene one of a movie doesn't mean main characters shouldn't talk...

Krazy....where have you been?

The Protagonist from Marathon never talked, and the only interaction he had with anybody else was with the AI's like Durandal.

They've been doing the 'Strong Silent Type' years before Valve came along with the original Half-Life.

It's always been there thing with shooters.

Chief talks a little, but only when he's spoken directly too, it's to help with immersion.

The only exception I can think of was ONI, but that was because they were doing something completely different to their norm.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Dud Doodoo on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:17 pm

The Rookie didn't have a single line.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Death no More on Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:34 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:The Rookie didn't have a single line.
Its for Immersion, and really I'd rather have immersion than a character speaking.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Age : 24
Location : Spreading Holy convergence in the sprawl.
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by KrAzY on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

Vigil wrote:
KrAzY wrote:when did bungie fall into the "silent main character" archtype anyways?


the MC was fairly vocal... just because gordon freeman is popular and has less lines than the person who dies in scene one of a movie doesn't mean main characters shouldn't talk...

Krazy....where have you been?

The Protagonist from Marathon never talked, and the only interaction he had with anybody else was with the AI's like Durandal.

They've been doing the 'Strong Silent Type' years before Valve came along with the original Half-Life.

It's always been there thing with shooters.

Chief talks a little, but only when he's spoken directly too, it's to help with immersion.

The only exception I can think of was ONI, but that was because they were doing something completely different to their norm.


when marathon came out no main characters talked... in any game other than as a sound cue... now audio is advanced enough that they should be able to talk/... and as halo doesn't shy away from cutscenes there is absolutely no reason the characters shouldn't talk.

speechless characters aren't fun because they never feel real... speechless rookies are even worse as you don't feel real and you never actually feel like you are part of the team dynamic.

bungie is falling into the series of FPS pitfalls that are making the genre absolute shit






and death... you really feel more immersed by having a character that doesn't respond to the world around him? they are already removing the player from the character by having cutscenes... now they kill any possibility of the character feeling real by not having him react to the world around him... we already can't see his face, so we now have no way to read the emotions of the characters.

humans talk... robots don't... and the rookie didn't even talk when he was being spoken DIRECTLY to... he didn't comment when he was woken up by being punched in the face... he didn't comment when dare had no clue what his name was... fuck... he only screamed when he died in 1 in 4 deaths...

I didn't give a shit about the rookie... however, I did feel a connection to the Master Chief
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:47 pm

IIRC, the Lieut had a few lines.

Hopefully, Bungie got the hint from ODST. A lot of their reviews had a negative backlash against the silent protagonist.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Vigil on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:28 pm

KrAzY wrote:
Vigil wrote:
KrAzY wrote:when did bungie fall into the "silent main character" archtype anyways?


the MC was fairly vocal... just because gordon freeman is popular and has less lines than the person who dies in scene one of a movie doesn't mean main characters shouldn't talk...

Krazy....where have you been?

The Protagonist from Marathon never talked, and the only interaction he had with anybody else was with the AI's like Durandal.

They've been doing the 'Strong Silent Type' years before Valve came along with the original Half-Life.

It's always been there thing with shooters.

Chief talks a little, but only when he's spoken directly too, it's to help with immersion.

The only exception I can think of was ONI, but that was because they were doing something completely different to their norm.


when marathon came out no main characters talked... in any game other than as a sound cue... now audio is advanced enough that they should be able to talk/... and as halo doesn't shy away from cutscenes there is absolutely no reason the characters shouldn't talk.

speechless characters aren't fun because they never feel real... speechless rookies are even worse as you don't feel real and you never actually feel like you are part of the team dynamic.

bungie is falling into the series of FPS pitfalls that are making the genre absolute shit






and death... you really feel more immersed by having a character that doesn't respond to the world around him? they are already removing the player from the character by having cutscenes... now they kill any possibility of the character feeling real by not having him react to the world around him... we already can't see his face, so we now have no way to read the emotions of the characters.

humans talk... robots don't... and the rookie didn't even talk when he was being spoken DIRECTLY to... he didn't comment when he was woken up by being punched in the face... he didn't comment when dare had no clue what his name was... fuck... he only screamed when he died in 1 in 4 deaths...

I didn't give a shit about the rookie... however, I did feel a connection to the Master Chief

I'd like to call that out as bull. Duke Nukem 3D was out around the same time as Marathon was, and Duke 3D was filled with the Protagonist talking. It was a design choice.

I wish I could find the quote, but Bungie explained why he doesn't talk that often and doesn't have a face. The Master Chief is there to serve as a empty shell which the player can place their own personality and feelings into to enjoy the game. He's nothing but a set of eyeballs that we see the Haloverse in. It's a technique that's been used in games for years, especially RPG'S as they give you a blank slate so you can imprint your personality onto the protagonist.

Again, Bungie did it first, and it's a very common mechanic which has been around for donkey's years. Why are you complaining about it now? IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS. It only changed because in a book, you need the Chief to have a personality, so Nylund created one and made John-117, and sure when I play the games now, I do think in that mindset, but It still retains my thoughts and personality as well.

The point of a silent character is to get YOU involved in the world, not the character. YOU ARE THE CHARACTER. That's why the always wear helmets and we never see their faces, their vessels to our personality.

_________________
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Viggy
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 House

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Age : 30
Location : Unknown.
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by BBJynne on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:34 pm

Speaking of Marathon though

Dunderal was the shit

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Age : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum