Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 2 Empty Re: Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW!

Post by Rotaretilbo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:25 am

But neither truly killed the series. Maybe Bungie is going to get everyone's hopes up, and then the game is going to be so completely terrible that no one will ever play a Halo game ever again. It will be Bungie's farewell fuck you to Microsoft.

Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:28 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:But neither truly killed the series. Maybe Bungie is going to get everyone's hopes up, and then the game is going to be so completely terrible that no one will ever play a Halo game ever again. It will be Bungie's farewell fuck you to Microsoft.

I'd really have more respect for them if they did that.

Razz

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 am

KrAzY wrote:this trailer has finally convinced me that I am no longer a fan of Halo or of Bungie any more.

Yeah, unfortunately, I have the same feeling. I mean, it wasn't horrible, but there was so much in it that was, just, ugh (those Spartans made me think, ODST: 2, and what was the deal with those Ospreys?). Most of that stuff will not make it into the final anyway, so I am keeping my hopes up.

I hate how the graphics are all washed out grunge. It's Halo, it is supposed to look unrealistically pretty, clear and colorful, now it looks like, GOW or something, which doesn't fit at all.

Last edited by Ringleader on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:45 am; edited 3 times in total
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 9:41 am

Vigil wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:But neither truly killed the series. Maybe Bungie is going to get everyone's hopes up, and then the game is going to be so completely terrible that no one will ever play a Halo game ever again. It will be Bungie's farewell fuck you to Microsoft.

I'd really have more respect for them if they did that.

Razz
Yeah. Early congrats, Bungie, for handing Microsoft its own ass.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:45 am

Well aside from the trailer being generally anti-climatic, diversity and individuality of the spartans pisses me off. It seems to me like they are going down the ODST path with a squad filled with polar opposites. This style annoyed me enough when it was with ODSTs, but now they are doing it to those who are supposed to be cold, efficient killing machines. Spartans aren't supposed to try to look cool, spartans aren't supposed to stick out from eachother. Spartans aren't supposed to be anything more than a uniform force that functions as a single entity. This is not something that is apparent to just the hardcore fans who read the books and know the canon, but to any softcore asshole that has ever seen the manner in which the Master Chief conducts himself.

I don't think I can emphasize enough how much the customized spartans bother me. The strictly disciplined, organized, coordinated, uniform look of the spartan team on the cover of FoR is arguably what pulled me into the Halo verse to begin with.
Halo Reach: on Spike, NOW! - Page 2 Fallofreach
The customization of the ODST armor annoyed me in the last game, but seeing as they were ODSTs not spartans this did not bother me. Now that they have continued this in a legitimate installment of the series, I must say that I am thoroughly pissed off.

Before seeing this trailer I was of the opinion that the apparent complete disregard for canon was an accolade wielded exclusively by the third party developers. However, as this teaser shows, Bungie has jumped on the bandwagon to destroy their own creation and effectively strip the game from a large portion of it's appeal. (for me at least)

Even so, I didn't think the trailer demonstrated that the game will be bad. I am very excited about the new, darker artstyle that bungie seems to have adopted as it is (at least in my mind) much better than the opposed bright and shiny style they used in the last game. While I didn't like the fact that the spartans wore customized armor, I did like the look of said armor. I think that if all the spartans wore the armor the main character was wearing they would look great.

I must say though, the elite looked GREAT. I'm so happy about fighting them, and at least it looks like Bungie isn't going to shove brutes in places they don't belong again. I could go on for pages on how much better the elites are than brutes, how much better of a foe they were. In fact, the elite at the end almost made me forget about the spartans.

Last edited by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafyOwNu2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:05 am

I honestly feel nothing for this trailer. It wasn't good. It didn't make me want to get the game and it didn't want me to go back to Halo. Halo is dead, plain and simple. Halo died when Microsoft turned it into anime. Halo died when Microsoft allowed other companies to screw with the cannon.

Halo is dead, I will not purchase this game due to the simple fact that they will find another reason to add the flood into the game, which just wont make sense.

Honestly Bungie of all companies could have done a better job.
LeafyOwNu2
LeafyOwNu2
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:08 am

Well, for all we know. This could a reverse of Halo Wars, and look bad at the start and good better. (hopeful)
Anyways, Halo died with Halo: Legends. I will decide to buy Halo: Reach or not depending on further updates.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:13 am

LeafyOwNu2 wrote:I honestly feel nothing for this trailer. It wasn't good. It didn't make me want to get the game and it didn't want me to go back to Halo. Halo is dead, plain and simple. Halo died when Microsoft turned it into anime. Halo died when Microsoft allowed other companies to screw with the cannon.

Halo is dead, I will not purchase this game due to the simple fact that they will find another reason to add the flood into the game, which just wont make sense.

Honestly Bungie of all companies could have done a better job.
We don't know if they will put flood in or not, I mean, they kept it out of ODST, they could keep it out of Reach.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Sun Dec 13, 2009 12:02 pm

Since it hasn't been done in a while, let me just say:

Dud Doodoo wrote:
at least it looks like Bungie isn't going to shove brutes in places they don't belong again.
Bow chicka wow wow!
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by LeafyOwNu2 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:21 pm

I will make my determination if I want to play the game from the beta in the spring. Thats about it.
LeafyOwNu2
LeafyOwNu2
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I posted this yesterday on B-Net after seeing the trailer and talking with KrAzY about it over Xfire.

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=39617743

I recently watched the VGA trailer on Spike and at first, I was impressed. It wasn't anything more than a slightly more revealing teaser, but I was happy. At least, I was until I examined it more in depth (well, my friend did).

Each spartan had a different armor variants and colors. Bungie dismissed armor variations as multiplayer only upon the release of Halo 3. Since then, the only variation to be seen in the story other than Mark variants has been EVA, which is only used in space combat (makes sense). Otherwise, aside from Halo Legends (which already shatters cannon), no variations in color or armor has been used.

In this video, however, I saw EVA (with a skull painted on it, wtf?), Mark VI (or something like that...), ODST (even though they're spartans), EOD, CQB, even Hayabusa. Only one thing can sum this up: WTF?

As my friend put: "Spartans are soldiers, not -blam!- football players."

As some others have mentioned, the spartans also showed much more emotion in the video than expected. These are the toughest soldiers the UNSC has to offer, abducted at the age of six and forced to serve the military with suicidal missions for their whole lives. A nervous breakdown is the last thing they should be going through.

After Halo Reach, I'm giving up on the Halo franchise as Frankie and 343 Studios have proven themselves incompetent and unable to carry the torch. I'd really like it NOT to be riddled with cannon breakers and retcons.

EDIT:

I'm seeing a lot of two things.
Spartans should have emotion. The story isn't as good without them.
What of the Halo trilogy? MC showed almost no emotion, yet he was the main character. Did anyone actually feel that the story could have been better if he showed emotion? The best part about the chief is that he puts his emotions aside to do what has to be done. Same thing goes for Kurt and all the other Spartans mentioned in the books.

The skull was definitely scratched in. Helmet emblems would be BA.
What kind of moron soldier, much less a spartan, would be stupid enough to limit his vision in order to look BA? He's already a 7-foot walking tank. How much more BA could he get? Seriously, spartans didn't want to be looked up to; they just wanted to do their job.

While I'm at it, what's with the whole "I checked your file even though they told me not to" thing? WTF? Spartans don't disobey orders. It took Master Chief every fiber of his being to not turn in Johnson as a flood survivor, so why would a spartan break the rules just to check a file?

Why doesn't he know the other spartan anyways? They were all trained together from the age of six. What happened to spartans being a big family? Is Bungie out to reinvent the soldiers that they have been perfecting for the past decade?

By the way, how could the one spartan be a lieutenant? Kurt was the only spartan to be an officer, and that was a very special occasion.

Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:09 pm

I wasn't sure if any of them were spartans, so I'll just assume that some where and some weren't.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:14 pm

See, thats a PROBLEM, when you cant clearly identify who is who, despite this absurd amount of variability in appearance.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:15 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Vigil wrote:I may have an answer for that. We know that 300 children were orignally listed for the Spartan II program. Out of these 150 were conscripted and trained. I seriously doubt they went 1-150, so they probably took them from Dr Halsey's personal choices, so I doubt they were all in numerical order.

But that's the thing. They originally had 150 children listed, and only chose 75. And even if there had been 300 originally, one of the Spartans is #320!
Well...
It is ENTIRELY possible that the numbering might be something other than the number of cadets.
Indeed, I wouldn't be surprised if ONI numbered them one through five hundred, and here's why:

A few years ago at my high school, some seniors got two pigs, marked one of them "#1" and the other "#3", and set them loose in the school.
The administrators and some teachers were looking for "#2" for hours. HOURS.

So, lets say they assign numbers from one to five hundred. That let's ONI lie on defense appropriations bills, and gives Innies and Covies a right headache trying to figure out how many they're up against.

KrAzY wrote:well I want to hear their explanation for this "leuteniut" and how the fuck nobody knows him
As would I.

KrAzY wrote:number 320 is fucking BLUE
He has a point.

KrAzY wrote:one spartan has massacred his helmet by scratching in a skull... obscuring 80% of his vision
That's getting my blood up, true.

KrAzY wrote:NONE of the spartans are identical in their armor as described in the books
Ahem.
Hasley couldn't tell who they were UNDER their armor.
You assume that the armor is there permanently. If they were switching their armor around from battle to battle, however, then the end result would be the same.

Customization =/= personalization.

KrAzY wrote:they all have different accents... not just slightly different like they would be having lived separately for 6 years.... but having been RAISED and TRAINED with the same group for 20 years would have erased that heavy russian and british accents
I'll have you know that those accents are indestructible.

Jokes aside, while they have been abducted and raised by english-speakers, they would still have been around a polyglot of people, where it's easier to retain accents.

I'm willing to give the Ospreys the benefit of the doubt... I want an explanation.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:30 pm

You want to know why their armour was different? I'll tell you.

Orignally posted on B.net

Furthermore, the is a very simple reason why they look the way they do. It's essential to gameplay. Why? Well if the game is a squad based shooter, like we think it is, it would be very difficult to pick a specific team member if they all wore the same armour and colour.

Look at ODST. In the previous games ODST's looked virtually identical. In this game however they all had like tweeks to them so you could distinguish each team member and know a little about their personality, as it's harder to emote when you have a bucket over your head. The little tweeks, like the stripe for buck to show he was the authorative leader. The Skull face on Dutch to show him as a tough badass. The huge backpack and bandiolers on Mickey to show he was the demo man, and the more slender armour with extra vison googles, to show Romeo as the sniper.

It would much harder to do this if they all looked identical.

Now I don't like it, but for gameplay sense, I understand why it has been done.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:35 pm

They could have done it the Repblic Commando way and have slight color alterations instead of an armor change.

Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by XNate02 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:40 pm

Different armor! My life is over! *suicide*
seriously dont loose sleep over it
XNate02
XNate02
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2345
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Angatar wrote:They could have done it the Repblic Commando way and have slight color alterations instead of an armor change.

Clones might be a bit different since they're all clones...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:44 pm

Angatar wrote:They could have done it the Repblic Commando way and have slight color alterations instead of an armor change.

You could, but its a similar thing.

Sev's armour is slightly different to Fixer's and Scorch's, and not just the colour, weapon placement, ammo packs and slight design alterations.

It's subtle but it's there.

Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:07 pm

After watching the subtitled version, you are clearly playing as a Spartan III.

"Didn't think anyone survived Pegasi, sir."

Pegasi Delta was of course the covenant refinery which was attacked by the Spartan Threes in Ghost of Onyx, making the main character 12 years old.

Last edited by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:10 pm

The cloak perk also makes more sense if they're S-IIIs, but then their armor makes absolutely no sense. That's definitely NOT Infiltration armor. Infiltration's key points were camo and flexibility, not protection.

Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:22 pm

Well SPI armor was used for spartan IIIs instead of MJOLNIR because of the monetary issues involved with equipping 300 men with MJOLNIR. However, now that there are only a handful left, I'm sure they would be equipped with full MJOLNIR.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:25 pm

I suppose that would make sense. Were they augmented enough to handle MJOLNIR?

Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:28 pm

^Oh, makes sense.^

Furthermore, the is a very simple reason why they look the way they do. It's essential to gameplay. Why? Well if the game is a squad based shooter, like we think it is, it would be very difficult to pick a specific team member if they all wore the same armour and colour.

Look at ODST. In the previous games ODST's looked virtually identical. In this game however they all had like tweeks to them so you could distinguish each team member and know a little about their personality, as it's harder to emote when you have a bucket over your head. The little tweeks, like the stripe for buck to show he was the authorative leader. The Skull face on Dutch to show him as a tough badass. The huge backpack and bandiolers on Mickey to show he was the demo man, and the more slender armour with extra vison googles, to show Romeo as the sniper.

It would much harder to do this if they all looked identical.

Now I don't like it, but for gameplay sense, I understand why it has been done.

Well, if they didn't decide to obscure the hell out of the visual game play, it probably would be a tad easier to distinguish between Spartans. In addition to this, if you are seeing them through an interactive visor, they wouldn't have too look so different in order to tell them apart, as you could simply see their FOF tag floating above their digital personhood (which could easily show some 3 letter distinguishor, or symbol). In ODST, either it was dark, and you had to turn on an obscure, blooming, ugly looking night vision mode, or you played a mission where you were either by yourself, or too far away from your allies to see what they actually look like, which is why the FOF tag obsoletes the need for having customized appearance, not that customized appearance is a bad thing all the time, but it definitely does not belong in Reach so pronounced.

Seriously, like someone was saying earlier, you are supposed to be one mechanism in a killing machine, and having your own little personality, with your own little story, and your own little armor tattoos, it detracts from the imposing facelessness and inhumanity that is integral to the badass facade of a Spartan I, II, or III.

Remember the days where you would play on an extremely beautiful map, that was so clean, and so vibrant, and so ... MAGNIFICENT affraid , you would get shot up sumth'n FIERCE, just because you were staring off a cliff overlooking an infinite sea sloping up the graceful curve of the horizon? I want that back, so bad... And dark, obscure, cloudy, hazy visuals are not going to revive the majesty of the original Halo, I want to battle on the edge of the abyss, I want to fight over a bridge infinitely high off the ground, alongside a squad of identical, shiny green killing machines, mowing down thousands of Covenant, until they decide to leap off the edge to save themselves from the humiliation of getting blown to colorful ribbons.

And I could do for an audio re-tune as well, It should sound like, sci-fi Bad Company, and look like the bastardized brain child of Crysis 2, and that new Medal of Honor game (which looks spectacular I might add)
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus on Sun Dec 13, 2009 8:25 pm

XNate02 wrote:Different armor! My life is over! *suicide*
seriously dont loose sleep over it

Seriously.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next