Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Reach

+39
Zaki90
MrX
Ruski
CivBase
KristallNacht
Elabajaba
noir
TYFIGHTER
Barbbachello
Offensive Bias
A_Bearded_Swede
Prasheed
PiEdude
Lord Pheonix
RX
Kasrkin Seath
Angatar
TNine
Onyxknight
Death no More
Vigil
Ringleader
Dud Doodoo
Ukurse
Rotaretilbo
BBJynne
Ziggy
Nocbl2
KrAzY
dragoon9105
Rasq'uire'laskar
JB
Felix
Cheese
Gold Spartan
XNate02
Vtrooper
Gauz
Divine Virus
43 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Halo: Reach - Page 16 Empty Re: Halo: Reach

Post by Dud Doodoo Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:11 pm

Vigil wrote:We have a date for the beta

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/11/halo-reach-beta-dated-may-3-only-for-odst-owners/

I know you're all thrilled about this................not.
The box art doesn't even show the fucking protagonist, which supports Krazy's theory that we will have yet another silent character to play as. He will simply melt into the background, not being a part of the squad, whose overdone personalities he depends on to make up for the lack of his own. He plays no real part in the story line and is never in the center of attention, acting more as a camera to move around the battlefield with than an actual character. I don't think this style of protagonist appealed to anyone in ODST, I don't know why they would fucking do it again.

Last edited by Dud Doodoo on Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm

After watching that video i just want the game more.

I love the melee animations and finally being able to sprint. The new DMR is pretty sweet. We finally get the proper BR from Halo 2
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:18 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:
Vigil wrote:We have a date for the beta

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/02/11/halo-reach-beta-dated-may-3-only-for-odst-owners/

I know you're all thrilled about this................not.
The box art doesn't even show the fucking protagonist, which supports Krazy's theory that we will have yet another silent character to play as. He will simply melts into the background, not being a part of the squad, whose overdone personalities he depends on to make up for the lack of his own. He plays no real part in the story line and is never in the center of attention, acting more as a camera to move around the battlefield with than an actual character. I don't think this style of protagonist appealed to anyone in ODST, I don't know why they would fucking do it again.
Or it's because we have campagin customization. The Spartan you play as in MP and the Spartan you play as in SP is the same, so the character on the front wouldn't be the character in game.

It's unfortunate, but i agree that we will likely have a silent protagonist.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:35 pm

What the hell is "Halo"?
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:31 pm

A gutted whore in the video game industry.

That video looked nice, and by looked nice I mean the graphics were great. Canon wasn't so much...
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TYFIGHTER Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:07 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:
The box art doesn't even show the fucking protagonist, which supports Krazy's theory that we will have yet another silent character to play as. He will simply melt into the background, not being a part of the squad, whose overdone personalities he depends on to make up for the lack of his own. He plays no real part in the story line and is never in the center of attention, acting more as a camera to move around the battlefield with than an actual character. I don't think this style of protagonist appealed to anyone in ODST, I don't know why they would fucking do it again.
I agree 100%. I HATE the way ODST handled the silent protagonist. "The Rookie" wasnt even an actual character. Just a suit of armor that could fight. They need to take a page from Half-Life if they want to do a silent main-character well. But in the end Id rather have no silent lead at all. Just have him talk. The whole reason to have a silent lead is to make it feel like YOU are the main character. However, Halo doesnt even try doing that.
TYFIGHTER
TYFIGHTER
Minion

Male Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2010-02-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:13 pm

TYFIGHTER wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote:
I agree 100%. I HATE the way ODST handled the silent protagonist. "The Rookie" wasnt even an actual character. Just a suit of armor that could fight. They need to take a page from Half-Life if they want to do a silent main-character well. But in the end Id rather have no silent lead at all. Just have him talk. The whole reason to have a silent lead is to make it feel like YOU are the main character. However, Halo doesnt even try doing that.
to be fair, up until ODST, The main protagonist DID talk.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:58 am

When
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:14 am

Barbbachello wrote:When
Halo 1:
He talks to Commander Keys.
He talks to Cortana
He talks to Spark

Halo 2:
He talks to Johnson
He talks to Lord Hood
He talks to Miranda Keys
He Talks to Cortana
He Talks to The Gravemind
He talks to the Prophet of Mercy
He talks to The Arbiter

Halo 3:
He talks to Johnson
He talks to The Arbiter
He talks to Miranda Keys
He talks Spark
He talks to Lock Jaw
He talks to Cortana

Halo Novels:
He talks multiple times to many characters.

I probably missed some but that's off the top of my head.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:34 am

OH, i thought you meant The Rookie talks.
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:17 am

The master chief talks, but it's hardly enough to make him anything more than a silent protagonist. You could replace it with "BEEP BOOP" and i'm pretty sure the game wouldn't change.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:28 am

But MC does talk, enough so that he doesn't seem way to quiet but still let's you play as him.

I've already answered the box art question, it's because of campaign customization, everyone's Lone Wolf will look different.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:38 am

If that was the case then they wouldn't have shown him in the trailer.

Customization isn't an excuse to leave the protagonist off of the front cover.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:19 pm

So you argument is based on the fact the Protagonist isn't on the cover?

I could think over 30 games that don't have the protagonist on the front cover, and has no effect on the game.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:40 pm

do those games show the rest of the protagonists squad on the cover? because I can't think of any games that show the squad, but not the protagonist
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:40 pm

Bad company 2
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:44 pm

well unless the new definition of "squad" is "nondescript soldier concept" then that is not a good example for your argument
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:48 pm

Ghost Recon Island Thunder
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:04 pm

who exactly is the protagonist of Ghost Recon? the "protagonist" of that series is the squad itself... not any particular character like the Rookie or the Lone Wolf.

find a valid example
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:13 pm

Scott Michele kinda is the main character

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:13 pm

KrAzY wrote:who exactly is the protagonist of Ghost Recon? the "protagonist" of that series is the squad itself... not any particular character like the Rookie or the Lone Wolf.

find a valid example
And the Rookie or Noble 6 is not the main protagonist of Halo Reach. He is just a suit of armor for you to play as. The Squad ITSELF is the main focus. Noble Team. Remember this is more squad based Halo rather then a lone wolf. They covered this already.

Find a valid subject to complain about then this nit-picky crap that is a pefectly good box art.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:17 pm

BBJynne wrote:Scott Michele kinda is the main character

you are thinking of Ghost Recon 2 there

RockaHolicGameR wrote:
KrAzY wrote:who exactly is the protagonist of Ghost Recon? the "protagonist" of that series is the squad itself... not any particular character like the Rookie or the Lone Wolf.

find a valid example
And the Rookie or Noble 6 is not the main protagonist of Halo Reach. He is just a suit of armor for you to play as. The Squad ITSELF is the main focus. Noble Team. Remember this is more squad based Halo rather then a lone wolf. They covered this already.

Find a valid subject to complain about then this nit-picky crap that is a pefectly good box art.

I'm not complaining about it.. I am arguing against Vigil's claim that lots of other games do this... and no, Noble Squad is not the protagonist, as a Single protagonist has been set for the character to play as in the game. Ghost Recon 1 did not have a single protagonist, it had class types to choose from and play as
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:18 pm

So Scott Mitchell is now not a 'Valid' protagonist?

Besides, so a game about Noble team, a definite 'Squad' based game is supposed be about them, not just the solo protangonist.

Why do you think it was said in the trailer 'No more of that lone wolf stuff.' It's obviosuly about Noble team and their story, as seen through the lone wolf.

And honest to good bitching about a silent protangist which has been a staple of halo games since the begining is one of the most assine complaints I've seen on this forum.

We should be concerning ourselves with the canonical problems, not over things as trival as the fucking BOX ART.

I said this for ODST and I say it again, it was a gameplay desicion, they characterised the squad and not the main character. And the whole 'the main character is a floating camera' is a complaint you could aim at every single FPS in the last 10 years. For christs sake Gordon Freeman has NO CHARACTERISATION, NO DIALOGUE AND NO EMOTIVE ACTIONS.

Seriously guys this argument is pure Self satisfying bullshit which is completely missing the main problems of reach.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:25 pm

KrAzY wrote:
I'm not complaining about it.. I am arguing against Vigil's claim that lots of other games do this... and no, Noble Squad is not the protagonist, as a Single protagonist has been set for the character to play as in the game. Ghost Recon 1 did not have a single protagonist, it had class types to choose from and play as
How is Noble Team not the focus?

Why do you think they said there trying to make a more human approach to the Spartans? Why do you think the Spartans have characterized armors? Why do you think the Spartans have been in every single image and screen-shot every released? Why do you think there on the game cover? Why do you think there spending so much time and effort on the Spartans?

Noble Six is not the main focus. The whole team itself is. Noble Team, is a character itself. Noble Team is the main focus.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:32 pm

Scott Mitchell is indeed the protagonist of the Ghost Recon series... STARTING WITH GHOST RECON 2

the first game DOES NOT HAVE A PROTAGONIST... have you ever even played the first game? the game which you showed the expansion for and tried to claim that it doesn't show a protagonist?

the difference here, which you morons are not getting, is not the "main focus", it is the LACK OF AN IDENTIFIABLE MAIN CHARACTER in the ghost recon 1 series that makes the whole squad the protagonist, NOT THE FOCUS ON THE SQUAD ITSELF.

Reach has a protagonist, and by leaving him off of the cover, leaving him OUT OF THE SQUAD. I fear this is going to turn out EXACTLY like ODST did squad wise.... anyone who claims they felt as if they were part of the squad in ODST has never known real human contact... this is what I fear is going to happen in Reach.

that is the ONLY fucking thing I am arguing about right now, the feeling of being included into the fucking squad. maybe YOU GUYS want to be a camera who follows the cohesive squad around, but never gets any damned recognition from said squad, but I don't. If I am going to be forced into fighting with this squad I want to feel as if I am part of it, not "hey you go do this" and "hey you, come help me" like I was in ODST.

also @ vigil about gordon freeman... Freeman has also never been taken out of first person or put into a cutscene... cutscenes already break the flow of keeping a person in character by yanking them and forcing them to watch every few minutes, the Rookie didn't even act like a human during cutscenes... Most characters are just a blank slate WHILE YOU PLAY THEM... but if I am forced out of the character, and have to watch what he does... he had better show SOME LEVEL of characterization

Last edited by KrAzY on Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next