Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Reach

+39
Zaki90
MrX
Ruski
CivBase
KristallNacht
Elabajaba
noir
TYFIGHTER
Barbbachello
Offensive Bias
A_Bearded_Swede
Prasheed
PiEdude
Lord Pheonix
RX
Kasrkin Seath
Angatar
TNine
Onyxknight
Death no More
Vigil
Ringleader
Dud Doodoo
Ukurse
Rotaretilbo
BBJynne
Ziggy
Nocbl2
KrAzY
dragoon9105
Rasq'uire'laskar
JB
Felix
Cheese
Gold Spartan
XNate02
Vtrooper
Gauz
Divine Virus
43 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Halo: Reach - Page 9 Empty Re: Halo: Reach

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:31 pm

I would prefer to mail them one of Frankie's fingers.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Im confused by the transferring it into Entropy thing... energy doesn't turn into entropy. Entropy isn't a form of energy. Anybody know where the energy is going?

thats about energy shielding, btw
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:I would prefer to mail them one of Frankie's fingers.

*slowly backs away from Rot*
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

While I say that perhaps this is being marketed towards the wrong audience, with M&M Spartans and all, you don't need to go into physics as to whether it's possible or not.
THE POINT IS THAT IT"S USELESS AND IS COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR SPARTANS!

As for lifting and wielding the turrets in ODST...
You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

Flipping Elephants, anyone?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:47 pm

Hey.... don't diss the elephant flipping

one handed scorpion flipping... with your back to the scorpion however
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

I always figured the spartan would just push him/herself into the ground if they tried to flip an elephant, especially in the sand.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Felix wrote:I keep my contacts secret...

But seriously, I mean you can ask Bungie questions on B.net (I don't know how, and I don't care to find out). You'll most likely (if answered) will just be something along the lines "we can't revel info on that topic yet".

Even if they did answer, I doubt it would be serious. When asked why ODST could life and wield those stationary chain guns after Halo 3 specifically said only Spartans could on Spike TV, Frankie O'Conner revealed that it was "in the spirit of fun" and that the ODST were "inspired by how much fun the Spartans were having" and such bullshit as that.
Bungie cannot be thought to think every single small thing right to it's end. As these Spartan III's are obviously more rebellious than Spartan II's, they thought a great to demonstrate it would be a skull in one of their helmets. I doubt these game creators know about the physical characteristics of light (BTW, is it a particle or a wave? Have they even decided?).

TNine wrote:He could, of course, have done the scratching with a really sharp knife, and therefore wouldn't get all the paint, and there would still be "borders" along the scratches. And the non-scratchable layer would be for durability, while the top layer would be direct shielding from light, which may not work behind the thicker more durable layer.

If the scratches are too thin, there would have to be a lot of them close together to make the skull, and they would still obscure one's view just as bad.
...I can't say your wrong, and i can't say i don't understand, it just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the removal of the material next to material not removed just mean that the view would constantly be changing colors?

TNine wrote:Therefore transferring it into entropy. Which i commented on in my post.

Fair enough.
I still don't understand what happened to Newton's Third Law though...even if most of the energy was transferred to entropy, wouldn't that transfer still use Newton's Third Law? It would actually be even more so with Energy Sheilds, cause you don't have penetration or blowing apart. If a bullet hits you IRL, it transfers some kinetic energy and keeps the rest to keep on going through you. With the energy sheild, it doesn't keep on going, so you get all of it's kinetic energy. That would make Jackal sheilds useless, they can't take the punishment a sniper or AR would put up.

TNine wrote:I still don't see how having a hovering shield that's not solid but has the properties of a solid is not defying the logic of physics more than my air-glass hybrid.

Energy has different properties than material. Manipulating energy to make it solid doesn't defy physics. Creating a material that refracts light like a gas does, because it is the very fact that it is a gas that allows gases to refract light less than solids.
Fair enough.

TNine wrote:I still don't see why not. It's hardly like any of the laws of physics are set in stone, we see changes to science daily.

That's not true. Many of the basic laws of physics are pretty much set in stone. The what is set in stone, but not the how or why. You are talking about a change in what light does, not how it does or why it does what it does.
Nonetheless, science has shown again and again it's inability to stay the same. We also thought the earth was the center of the universe, that the earth had existed for 20,000 years, etc. It is ingnorant to assume that 2000 years from now they will think of us as any more enlightened than jus few hundred years ago.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:I also don't know why my auto-flattening glass that wouldn't allow for dents, only clean cuts, wouldn't work.

A scratch-proof glass is certainly possible, but it isn't an explanation for the skull visor.
Why wouldn't it be? It even has the characteristic of possibly being one way, though i am not certain about the last part.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:They would be exposed to it by movies their older siblings/parents are watching, the older siblings/parents themselves, or movies they see uncensored on their TV, the internet (ah, the internet), or any kid at school who has been exposed to any of these things. And this marketing is mainly for the preteen to early teen range (10-15), who have probably been exposed aplenty to this type of thing.

That's unfair. You're blaming all of the other sources, but not accepting responsibility for gaming. Gaming is just as much an introducer of swear words as movies, TV, or radio. It would be just like if the movie industry blamed video games for being a bad influence.
They start getting exposed to this stuff at around 8-9, and definitely at 10-11. This is before they reach Reach's target audience.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Also, there isn't much swearing in Halo. I've never heard any of the dirtier swear words, "hell" and "damn" are pretty much as far as it gets.

not as much as some games, but I think they drop shit once, maybe twice.

TNine wrote:Edit: I still don't understand why we are making the assumption that Bungie dug this deep into physics to make sure something that wasn't directed at use was okay by us. They probably thought that some materials could do this, and put it in. Because, in the long run, who gives a fuck if some character's visor didn't follows the physics of light?

But that's the issue. They should have thought it through. They are old enough that they should know that this doesn't make sense and looks like a lame attempt to look "cool."
At the end of the day, Bungie is just a game company trying (and succeeding fantastically) to make some money. If a little thing here or there can maximize their audience (read: their sales), they will go ahead and do it. Bungie could certainly say that this material didn't difract one-way, and 90% of their hardcore fanbase (people who actually care about campaign) won't be overtly upset. The fact that on this forum, a forum of absolute canon nazis, this fact is still under dispute should be proof enough. Not to mention, if this game is good and holds to canon everywhere else, i don't think more then 1 of every 100 people that care about campaign (which is, in itself, like 1 in 1000) will even care about it. You don't beat a child for having a temper tantrum once, even if he knows better. It's only a problem if it becomes a habit.

I can see you're afraid this will snowball, i am too. But i have enough faith in Bungie in that i don't believe they'll just go and totally butcher canon for the sake of looking cool. I believe that Emile's armour is more of a one-time thing to personify a character, who is already extremely silent and wearing armour that hides most body language. Because cut-scenes in this game are fairly few, seeing how most of the storyline is told in-story by dialouge, it makes it extremely hard to personify someone as both silent and cold. And perhaps there will be a new customizable feature in mutliplayer, who knows?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:While I say that perhaps this is being marketed towards the wrong audience, with M&M Spartans and all, you don't need to go into physics as to whether it's possible or not.
THE POINT IS THAT IT"S USELESS AND IS COMPLETELY OUT OF CHARACTER FOR SPARTANS!
These are Spartan III's, not Spartan II's. They've already been shown to be far more rebellious.

As for lifting and wielding the turrets in ODST...
You've. Got. To. Be. Kidding. Me.

Flipping Elephants, anyone?
Yeah, the turrets were a bit wierd, especially since you walked faster. But the Elephants was just an easter egg.

Last edited by TNine on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 pm

damnit, entropy isn't a form of energy
energy doesn't miraculously dissapear

I think what may happen is the energy shield spreads the energy along itself, so the force would compress inwards while the shield pushed outwards.

That would null the kinetic force
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 pm

TNine wrote:Bungie cannot be thought to think every single small thing right to it's end. As these Spartan III's are obviously more rebellious than Spartan II's, they thought a great to demonstrate it would be a skull in one of their helmets. I doubt these game creators know about the physical characteristics of light (BTW, is it a particle or a wave? Have they even decided?).

But how could they not know that a scratch obscures your vision? Do you think none of them have ever seen cracked or scratched glass before?

TNine wrote:...I can't say your wrong, and i can't say i don't understand, it just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the removal of the material next to material not removed just mean that the view would constantly be changing colors?

Basically, the light would hit the edges and create millions of tiny lines all over your view. Because the scratches are thin, they would be very close together, meaning the lines would be very plentiful.

TNine wrote:I still don't understand what happened to Newton's Third Law though...even if most of the energy was transferred to entropy, wouldn't that transfer still use Newton's Third Law? It would actually be even more so with Energy Sheilds, cause you don't have penetration or blowing apart. If a bullet hits you IRL, it transfers some kinetic energy and keeps the rest to keep on going through you. With the energy sheild, it doesn't keep on going, so you get all of it's kinetic energy. That would make Jackal sheilds useless, they can't take the punishment a sniper or AR would put up.

Imagine shields as being an incredibly dense material. The kinetic energy is transfered to the shield, which disperses it, and the round bounces away. You feel the kick, but most of the energy is dispersed.

TNine wrote:Nonetheless, science has shown again and again it's inability to stay the same. We also thought the earth was the center of the universe, that the earth had existed for 20,000 years, etc. It is ingnorant to assume that 2000 years from now they will think of us as any more enlightened than jus few hundred years ago.

However, we use a much more efficient process, known as the scientific process, where we must prove things before we state them.

TNine wrote:Why wouldn't it be? It even has the characteristic of possibly being one way, though i am not certain about the last part.

Either the scratches are visible from the outside and the inside, thus obscuring one's view, or they are not visible on either side.

TNine wrote:They start getting exposed to this stuff at around 8-9, and definitely at 10-11. This is before they reach Reach's target audience.

8 and 9 year olds aren't nearly as exposed to this sort of thing as pre-teens and teenagers. Not to mention that 8 and 9 year olds would probably find a skull carved into a helmet as cool, so they would fall into Halo Reach's audience. Strange that Bungie is trying to attract them, but is also trying to make Halo "darker."

TNine wrote:At the end of the day, Bungie is just a game company trying (and succeeding fantastically) to make some money. If a little thing here or there can maximize their audience (read: their sales), they will go ahead and do it.

When you make games just to maximize sales, you lose the creative touch that allows you to create games that are truly great. Halo is succeeding right now because the first game was amazing, because Bungie did it right. You could put shit in a box with the Halo label on it and it would sell like hotcakes (i.e. Halo Wars). Bungie's behavior is clearly moving towards that of a money hungry publisher, and I guarantee you that their games will be affected by this.

TNine wrote:Bungie could certainly say that this material didn't difract one-way, and 90% of their hardcore fanbase (people who actually care about campaign) won't be overtly upset. The fact that on this forum, a forum of absolute canon nazis, this fact is still under dispute should be proof enough.

The fact that this site is filled with people who actually know what canon is, you mean. I'm sure at least 50% of the people who ever read the Halo novels will be upset with the changes in Reach. The mindless masses will buy the game, regardless, but that doesn't mean that we who actually give a shit about Halo are wrong when we say that this is a turn in the wrong direction.

TNine wrote:Not to mention, if this game is good and holds to canon everywhere else, i don't think more then 1 of every 100 people that care about campaign (which is, in itself, like 1 in 1000) will even care about it.

But TNine, think about it! We've seen almost nothing of Reach, and yet already there are multiple examples of Bungie clearly abandoning canon in favor of making things "cooler."

TNine wrote:You don't beat a child for having a temper tantrum once, even if he knows better. It's only a problem if it becomes a habit.

If you beat a child for having a temper tantrum once, do you think he'd ever do it again?

TNine wrote:I can see you're afraid this will snowball, i am too.

Afraid? IT ALREADY IS SNOWBALLING! The helmet is just one of many issues, and that's just from a trailer and a few pages from a magazine!

TNine wrote:But i have enough faith in Bungie in that i don't believe they'll just go and totally butcher canon for the sake of looking cool.

Did you have that same kind of faith in Ensemble Studios? Because they readily butchered canon just for the fuck of it. Bungie is letting this happen. They were supposed to be making sure everything ES did was ok. They clearly don't care about us anymore.

TNine wrote:I believe that Emile's armour is more of a one-time thing to personify a character, who is already extremely silent and wearing armour that hides most body language. Because cut-scenes in this game are fairly few, seeing how most of the storyline is told in-story by dialouge, it makes it extremely hard to personify someone as both silent and cold.

Do you realize how easy the strong silent type is to pull off? All he has to do is say little to nothing!

TNine wrote:And perhaps there will be a new customizable feature in mutliplayer, who knows?

I can't wait for all the n00bs who will find a way to run around with a penis on their face...

TNine wrote:These are Spartan III's, not Spartan II's. They've already been shown to be far more rebellious.

No. Not to this degree. Besides, if this is hand-me-down Mk.IV armor, how the fuck did they get it colored in the first place?

TNine wrote:Yeah, the turrets were a bit wierd, especially since you walked faster. But the Elephants was just an easter egg.

I remember being so happy that Bungie specifically came out and said that regular soldiers couldn't lift turrets, because that would have been ridiculous. And then they stabbed me in the back and had regular soldiers lifting turrets!
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
TNine wrote:But i have enough faith in Bungie in that i don't believe they'll just go and totally butcher canon for the sake of looking cool.

Did you have that same kind of faith in Ensemble Studios? Because they readily butchered canon just for the fuck of it. Bungie is letting this happen. They were supposed to be making sure everything ES did was ok. They clearly don't care about us anymore.
Rot, I'd say it's rather premature to say that.
And Bungie had zero control whatsoever over what ES was doing. Microsoft owned the IP, ES couldn't even get old concept art from Bungie.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
TNine wrote:Yeah, the turrets were a bit wierd, especially since you walked faster. But the Elephants was just an easter egg.

I remember being so happy that Bungie specifically came out and said that regular soldiers couldn't lift turrets, because that would have been ridiculous. And then they stabbed me in the back and had regular soldiers lifting turrets!
Rot...
Flipping. Elephants.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:07 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:...
And Bungie had zero control whatsoever over what ES was doing. Microsoft owned the IP, ES couldn't even get old concept art from Bungie.

I could have sworn ES specifically said that Bungie came over multiple times to give them a thumbs up or down on their stuff...

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Rot...
Flipping. Elephants.

But that was different. You can't do it in single player, and even when you do it in multiplayer, it is clearly made out to be funny. It was an easter egg.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:...

I could have sworn ES specifically said that Bungie came over multiple times to give them a thumbs up or down on their stuff...
And they said the Cyclops wasn't a Mech.
And they later admitted that they had no input from Bungie (Well, very little input) because Bungie was undergoing a quasi-separation from Microsoft... Remember? They weren't even sure if they could LEGALLY get concept art from Bungie.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Rot...
Flipping. Elephants.

But that was different. You can't do it in single player, and even when you do it in multiplayer, it is clearly made out to be funny. It was an easter egg.
Ok...
And in Halo 2 and Halo 3, Marines can wield Fuel Rod Cannons... when an ODST had trouble picking one up in First Strike.
And in Halo 3, Marines could run around with flamethrowers unencumbered, when they slowed you down.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:20 pm

marines could use flamethrowers?
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:30 pm

There was one you encountered using a Flamethrower. I think it might have been on the Ark level.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:And they later admitted that they had no input from Bungie (Well, very little input) because Bungie was undergoing a quasi-separation from Microsoft... Remember? They weren't even sure if they could LEGALLY get concept art from Bungie.

I wasn't aware of this. It explains a lot, I suppose.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Ok...
And in Halo 2 and Halo 3, Marines can wield Fuel Rod Cannons... when an ODST had trouble picking one up in First Strike.

A fair point. Grunts were said to have amazing upper body strength, which was why they could wield the heavy weapons. I'd forgotten about Marines using them.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:And in Halo 3, Marines could run around with flamethrowers unencumbered, when they slowed you down.

I don't recall Marines using Flamethrowers...
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:42 pm

Quote from Halopedia.

Strangely, even though UNSC remarks claim that their comrades wield the Flamethrower, you can't give it to them in game. This may be due to game-balance issues. The only time when a Marine is seen wielding one ever is at the Halo 3 level Floodgate, it is seen being used inside the factory, (the spot where your surviving Marines hold position) holding it like Master Chief. You need to be in camera mode or playing on a lower difficulty to see the Marine holding it, because he dies in a few seconds.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:51 pm

Well, on the level Cortana in Halo 3 you can find a flamethrower by a dead marine it that counts for anything, you might be able to see him if you use camera mode to get up to him. Idk, might be worth a look.
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I guess it all comes down to Nylund being better at this stuff than Bungie.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:And in Halo 3, Marines could run around with flamethrowers unencumbered, when they slowed you down.

I don't recall Marines using Flamethrowers...

There was one level in Halo 3 with a Marine with a flamethrower if you manged to save him from the flood in time he follows you until he dies. Floodgate(the level after the storm) is the level if i remember right.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:46 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:
TNine wrote:Bungie cannot be thought to think every single small thing right to it's end. As these Spartan III's are obviously more rebellious than Spartan II's, they thought a great to demonstrate it would be a skull in one of their helmets. I doubt these game creators know about the physical characteristics of light (BTW, is it a particle or a wave? Have they even decided?).

But how could they not know that a scratch obscures your vision? Do you think none of them have ever seen cracked or scratched glass before?
Bungie Developer #1: How about, to show how he is a cold sonofabitch, we make him have a scratched skull on his armour?
Bungie Developer #2: Wouldn't that obscure his vision?
Bungie Developer #1: It's 2552, i'm sure they can make visors that don't obscure your vision when cracked.
Bungie Developer #2: Oh, i guess. But still, it seems kinda ridiculous....etc

I don't think Bungie dug down deep into light physics to make sure everything they were doing is okay.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:...I can't say your wrong, and i can't say i don't understand, it just doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't the removal of the material next to material not removed just mean that the view would constantly be changing colors?

Basically, the light would hit the edges and create millions of tiny lines all over your view. Because the scratches are thin, they would be very close together, meaning the lines would be very plentiful.
But wouldn't they also be fairly small, and easy to look through?

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:I still don't understand what happened to Newton's Third Law though...even if most of the energy was transferred to entropy, wouldn't that transfer still use Newton's Third Law? It would actually be even more so with Energy Sheilds, cause you don't have penetration or blowing apart. If a bullet hits you IRL, it transfers some kinetic energy and keeps the rest to keep on going through you. With the energy sheild, it doesn't keep on going, so you get all of it's kinetic energy. That would make Jackal sheilds useless, they can't take the punishment a sniper or AR would put up.

Imagine shields as being an incredibly dense material. The kinetic energy is transfered to the shield, which disperses it, and the round bounces away. You feel the kick, but most of the energy is dispersed.
So where is that equal and opposite reaction?

Also notably on Newton's Third Law and Halo: Shooting a BR at the side of a mongoose that's moving will cause it to flip, while shooting a BR when riding a mongoose will not.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Nonetheless, science has shown again and again it's inability to stay the same. We also thought the earth was the center of the universe, that the earth had existed for 20,000 years, etc. It is ingnorant to assume that 2000 years from now they will think of us as any more enlightened than jus few hundred years ago.

However, we use a much more efficient process, known as the scientific process, where we must prove things before we state them.
But the scientific process existed even before we thought the world was geocentric.

TNine wrote:Why wouldn't it be? It even has the characteristic of possibly being one way, though i am not certain about the last part.

Either the scratches are visible from the outside and the inside, thus obscuring one's view, or they are not visible on either side.
Except when you are looking at his visor, you could see the light difracted off of five or six different scratches while Emile was careful enough so that at any point in his visor, from his eyes, he could only see one or two scratches on top of eachother?

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:They start getting exposed to this stuff at around 8-9, and definitely at 10-11. This is before they reach Reach's target audience.

8 and 9 year olds aren't nearly as exposed to this sort of thing as pre-teens and teenagers. Not to mention that 8 and 9 year olds would probably find a skull carved into a helmet as cool, so they would fall into Halo Reach's audience. Strange that Bungie is trying to attract them, but is also trying to make Halo "darker."
How much kids are exposed to these things are not important after a very small amount, because it spreads much faster from kid to kid then from, say, video games to kids.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:At the end of the day, Bungie is just a game company trying (and succeeding fantastically) to make some money. If a little thing here or there can maximize their audience (read: their sales), they will go ahead and do it.

When you make games just to maximize sales, you lose the creative touch that allows you to create games that are truly great. Halo is succeeding right now because the first game was amazing, because Bungie did it right. You could put shit in a box with the Halo label on it and it would sell like hotcakes (i.e. Halo Wars). Bungie's behavior is clearly moving towards that of a money hungry publisher, and I guarantee you that their games will be affected by this.
If there are many more unexplainable things, then i will be worried.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Bungie could certainly say that this material didn't difract one-way, and 90% of their hardcore fanbase (people who actually care about campaign) won't be overtly upset. The fact that on this forum, a forum of absolute canon nazis, this fact is still under dispute should be proof enough.

The fact that this site is filled with people who actually know what canon is, you mean. I'm sure at least 50% of the people who ever read the Halo novels will be upset with the changes in Reach. The mindless masses will buy the game, regardless, but that doesn't mean that we who actually give a shit about Halo are wrong when we say that this is a turn in the wrong direction.
Upset because a Spartan's visor is technically physics-defying?

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Not to mention, if this game is good and holds to canon everywhere else, i don't think more then 1 of every 100 people that care about campaign (which is, in itself, like 1 in 1000) will even care about it.

But TNine, think about it! We've seen almost nothing of Reach, and yet already there are multiple examples of Bungie clearly abandoning canon in favor of making things "cooler."
I've really only seen this.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:You don't beat a child for having a temper tantrum once, even if he knows better. It's only a problem if it becomes a habit.

If you beat a child for having a temper tantrum once, do you think he'd ever do it again?
But the point is, Bungie hasn't fucked up canon in the past besides retconning Brutes in. And if this, as a standalone issue, is nothing to be worried about.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:I can see you're afraid this will snowball, i am too.

Afraid? IT ALREADY IS SNOWBALLING! The helmet is just one of many issues, and that's just from a trailer and a few pages from a magazine!
Err...did i miss something?

Rot wrote:

1.) I never had faith in ES that they would keep up canon, as they had never (to my knowledge) been trusted with canon before. Bungie has been fine with canon up to date, and i will continue to believe they will be until shown completely otherwise.
2.) Bungie had little to no control over what ES did, if ES wanted to do something, Bungie coud not say no nor disaprove publically.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:I believe that Emile's armour is more of a one-time thing to personify a character, who is already extremely silent and wearing armour that hides most body language. Because cut-scenes in this game are fairly few, seeing how most of the storyline is told in-story by dialouge, it makes it extremely hard to personify someone as both silent and cold.

Do you realize how easy the strong silent type is to pull off? All he has to do is say little to nothing!
The problem is, he's more than that. He's a cruel, cold SOAB that doesn't say much and loves to kill. It's difficult to pull that off, the helmet certainly helps though.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:And perhaps there will be a new customizable feature in mutliplayer, who knows?

I can't wait for all the n00bs who will find a way to run around with a penis on their face...
I'll be using a smiley face, personally.

TNine wrote:These are Spartan III's, not Spartan II's. They've already been shown to be far more rebellious.

No. Not to this degree. Besides, if this is hand-me-down Mk.IV armor, how the fuck did they get it colored in the first place?
We know little about Noble Team to date, so making assumptions about their attitudes are ridiculous. And the color was to make characters much easier to identify from eachother, and personify each character better.

Rot wrote:

I think it was more for gameplay reason than anything, and it looked cool, unfortunatly. Nonetheless, it wasn't an total canon-rape it could have been.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:11 am

Tnine...
You Fail Physics Forever.

Light is observable as EITHER a wave or a particle. It's an aspect of quantum physics that has not been up for debate since we proved Einstein right. We're not trying to decide which it is.

TNine wrote:
Rot wrote:

But the scientific process existed even before we thought the world was geocentric.
You Fail History Forever!
Johannes Keplar, perhaps one of the most influential scientists of all time, pioneered the scientific process and applied it to astronomy. This was a full CENTURY after Columbus sailed the ocean blue, and even then we knew that the earth was round. (the debate back then was whether the earth was large enough to sail around the other side to India. Columbus was saved from his poor math by America.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:23 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Tnine...
You Fail Physics Forever.

Light is observable as EITHER a wave or a particle. It's an aspect of quantum physics that has not been up for debate since we proved Einstein right. We're not trying to decide which it is.
Right, quantum physics. Which, BTW, Einstein was vehemently against.

Rasq wrote:
TNine wrote:
Rot wrote:

You Fail History Forever!
Johannes Keplar, perhaps one of the most influential scientists of all time, pioneered the scientific process and applied it to astronomy. This was a full CENTURY after Columbus sailed the ocean blue, and even then we knew that the earth was round. (the debate back then was whether the earth was large enough to sail around the other side to India. Columbus was saved from his poor math by America.
You fail vocabulary forever!
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:20 am

I'd like to clear that Einstein was not against quantum physics/mechanics, considering he often used it to his advantage.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:48 pm

As far as im concerned, I am at the center of the universe.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:52 pm

And I am made of orange juice
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic