Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gears Vs. Halo

+20
Zaki90
TNine
kslidz
Nocbl2
Onyxknight
Dud Doodoo
MrX
Angatar
Ukurse
Ringleader
Barbbachello
Avenged
Cheese
Felix
Ascendant Justice
Death no More
Vtrooper
Gauz
KristallNacht
Divine Virus
24 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Gears Vs. Halo - Page 2 Empty Re: Gears Vs. Halo

Post by Ascendant Justice Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:40 pm

Nuking EPIC Games would be a bad idea. They make excellent games and losing them would put a dent in MS's profits. EPIC has the Gears franchise, and Unreal Tournament to name a couple. Both of those are really popular.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:44 pm

yes, it's very emotional... where might I ask?
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:53 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Death no more wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:
RockaHolicGameR wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:it doesn't matter if you know he never takes off his helmet or not

the fact you never get to view the emotions and character on a humans face DRASTICALLY reduces the amount of emotional connection you can have with the character.

Not true. Even though you can't see his face, you know wheather or he is felling excitment, dread or whatever because that's how connected you are to the character. Body motions, tone of voice and stuff like that all plays a vital roll.

Example: When he finds out the way Halo destroys the flood in Combat Evolved. He turns around slowy with his head down and says to the moniter, "is it true?".

Or when he watches the video from Jenkins helmet camera.

Or when he was about to retrive the ID thing from Keys when Keys was flood formed.

Gears of War has more emotion than Halo.
I disagree, there where some amazing moments in halo, some just totally gut wrenching. Others that made your blood boil, and making you scared out of your wits. Though I am mostly talking about the first halo Razz

"Gut wrenching" and "blood boil" made me lol because there is none of that. Even though Halo 1 did have the best story out of all the halo games, Gears still does better for the sole fact that all its characters have visible faces.
It was gut wrenching when I saw Captain keyes as a horribly disfigured flood form. It made my blood boil when I heard that the sqauds on the beach of the silent cartographer were slaughtered.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 pm

Gauz wrote:I don't see how really, many people are connected to the master chief still. Unless you are talking about his emotional connection, not if like he died, would anyone care. Well because you can't see his face, you can't read his emotions. I would say that you are less emotionally connected to him, but he is still a character many people are attached to through the series.

but thats because you ARE him, thus you get connected via that route. He's YOUR place in the universe.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:Nuking EPIC Games would be a bad idea. They make excellent games and losing them would put a dent in MS's profits. EPIC has the Gears franchise, and Unreal Tournament to name a couple. Both of those are really popular.

ntm the Unreal engine brought us Batman Arkham Asylum and Shadow Complex and Mirror's Edge and many others to name a few.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:09 pm

Death no more wrote:It was gut wrenching when I saw Captain keyes as a horribly disfigured flood form. It made my blood boil when I heard that the sqauds on the beach of the silent cartographer were slaughtered.

none of which was emotion sparked by the your emotional investment to the Master Chief.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
Death no more wrote:It was gut wrenching when I saw Captain keyes as a horribly disfigured flood form. It made my blood boil when I heard that the sqauds on the beach of the silent cartographer were slaughtered.

none of which was emotion sparked by the your emotional investment to the Master Chief.
I never said the master chief was my focus of emotion, I was simply saying that there are many more moments in halo that are far more emotional than anything Gears of war could muster.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:11 pm

Lightsabers and Guitars.

Nuff said.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:25 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
Gauz wrote:I don't see how really, many people are connected to the master chief still. Unless you are talking about his emotional connection, not if like he died, would anyone care. Well because you can't see his face, you can't read his emotions. I would say that you are less emotionally connected to him, but he is still a character many people are attached to through the series.

but thats because you ARE him, thus you get connected via that route. He's YOUR place in the universe.

And what's wrong with that? Everyone knows Gordon Freeman is supposed to be the player.

So what you get connected to Cortana and Guilty Spark and even Foehammer! It's still pretty damn emotional.

And I don't think I could even argue gears has more emotion in it than Halo. Unless of course that emotion is 'Awww... come on!!'

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:33 pm

Death no more wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:

I was simply saying that there are many more moments in halo that are far more emotional than anything Gears of war could muster.

The scene with Maria tops all 3 Halo games and then some. Even though it was rather instant when in Gears 2 Dom is all like "WHERES MAH WIFE!?!" and in Gears 1 there is only like one or two references, the scene is more emotional than anything in all 3 Halo games.

Also the last scene in Gears 2 on the Raven when Anya doesn't respond. Watch Marcus's face during that scene.

You are letting the inner Halo fanboy get between you and the cold hard facts again.
Let me give you a swift kick to the ABC to bring you back to reality.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Avenged Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:55 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Death no more wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:

I was simply saying that there are many more moments in halo that are far more emotional than anything Gears of war could muster.

The scene with Maria tops all 3 Halo games and then some. Even though it was rather instant when in Gears 2 Dom is all like "WHERES MAH WIFE!?!" and in Gears 1 there is only like one or two references, the scene is more emotional than anything in all 3 Halo games.

Also the last scene in Gears 2 on the Raven when Anya doesn't respond. Watch Marcus's face during that scene.

You are letting the inner Halo fanboy get between you and the cold hard facts again.
Let me give you a swift kick to the ABC to bring you back to reality.

The moment in COD 4 whenever you are dieing also kicks ass.

Avenged
Minion

Male Number of posts : 983
Registration date : 2009-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:55 pm

THATS WAS AWESOME, someone make a frigging halo movie all ready!
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:00 pm

Cheese wrote:
So what you get connected to Cortana and Guilty Spark and even Foehammer! It's still pretty damn emotional.

but that's GAME logic, not movie logic.

why do you think most video game movies suck? because they forget they're making a MOVIE and not a GAME.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:05 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
Cheese wrote:

but that's GAME logic, not movie logic.

why do you think most video game movies suck? because they forget they're making a MOVIE and not a GAME.

Good point there.

I for one hope they'd leave the MC alone anyway.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:39 pm

kick ass

did it seem like they weren't even speaking English in the whole trailer? I couldn't make out a single word.

Why exactly do you believe you cant have an emotional connection with the master chief? Remember in D9 when the guy was in the exosuit and he looks up to the mothership as he realizes that he left behind his only true friend which was a bug, are you telling me that you cant read body movement or understand what other people are thinking? That scene was beautiful, and really brought out the main characters transition from a dopey weakling to a galactic savior.

Lets see, V for Vendetta was pretty good, and you can understand what he was thinking and all pretty easily despite his facial absence. The ODSTs are likely to be armored and masked a lot too.

I really think that they should make the Halo movie, but actually have it pertaining to a Halo ring, at least in the first film, to introduce the two sides, and the title of the movie is pertinent to what it is about. I would not only like it to occur first, I would like it to actually occur more so then an ODST movie. They have just, built up the ODSTs way way to high, there almost like, Super-Spartans or something, it's kind of ridiculous.

They had better make the Spartans on Reach 10 times better then the ODSTs, like having a squad of Spartans fight off hundreds or maybe even thousands of Covenant in a single battle.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:39 pm

I don't like Gears of War so much as Halo, so I don't know which is more emotional, but I like Halo more. I personally would rather have the Halo movie more dramatic rather than emotional, maybe a little emotional. Halo doesn't do emotional so well because.... there isn't much love connections/bonds, its mainly just friendship. Aaaaaaand they're co-workers...
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:33 pm

Yeah, Gears and ESPECIALLY Gears 2 did not approach the level of story that Halo brought to the table.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:11 am

Ringleader wrote:Remember in D9 when the guy was in the exosuit and he looks up to the mothership as he realizes that he left behind his only true friend which was a bug, are you telling me that you cant read body movement or understand what other people are thinking? That scene was beautiful, and really brought out the main characters transition from a dopey weakling to a galactic savior.

but was he in the exoskeleton the entire movie? no he wasn't. You got to see him as a human and get emotionally invested in his struggle during that period.

Ringleader wrote:Lets see, V for Vendetta was pretty good, and you can understand what he was thinking and all pretty easily despite his facial absence.

In case its been ages since you last actually watched V for Vendetta there are absolutely ZERO scenes in that movie where you feel emotion from V's point of view. Every emotion in that movie is pretty much made by Eevee (i prefer to spell it that way). V's mask served a reverse connection to force you away from V's character as a person and see him instead as a symbol.

which is how the Master Chiefs mask should serve the story. Because in the REAL Halo universe, the SPARTANs aren't people, but weapons and beacons of hope for humanity.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:15 am

Gauz wrote:I don't like Gears of War so much as Halo, so I don't know which is more emotional, but I like Halo more. I personally would rather have the Halo movie more dramatic rather than emotional, maybe a little emotional. Halo doesn't do emotional so well because.... there isn't much love connections/bonds, its mainly just friendship. Aaaaaaand they're co-workers...

wtf? since when did 'emotional' instantly mean 'love interest'?

Dramatic is emotional.

ALL good movies are emotional in some aspect, specifically in that they provide an Emotional connection between the viewer and the characters.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:37 am

Well, Halo: ODST has fail to make me excited even a little bit, and this trailer hasn't done anything.
The only possible reason for buying this game is for the multiplayer, and I know every body in the worlds will buy this game weather it is good or not, so there is a 0.01% chance I will buy it.

So far ODST is a serious Waste O' Money

KristallNacht wrote:
Gauz wrote:I don't like Gears of War so much as Halo, so I don't know which is more emotional, but I like Halo more. I personally would rather have the Halo movie more dramatic rather than emotional, maybe a little emotional. Halo doesn't do emotional so well because.... there isn't much love connections/bonds, its mainly just friendship. Aaaaaaand they're co-workers...

wtf? since when did 'emotional' instantly mean 'love interest'?
It never did
But love interest is a big part of Emotions, when people refer to things that are emotional.
And something being dramatic pretty much means conflict, which can be a type of emotion towards someone.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:38 am

Saw it already. Thought it looked cool.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:49 am

Ringleader wrote:Yeah, Gears and ESPECIALLY Gears 2 did not approach the level of story that Halo brought to the table.

At least Gears didn't repeat the same story three times in a row...

That automatically makes it better.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:07 am

Ascendant Justice wrote:At least Gears didn't repeat the same story three times in a row...

That automatically makes it better.

this.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:43 am

The books are emotional.... kind of.
Gauz