Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+28
Carlos Spicyweiner
KrAzY
Angatar
Yam Head
Ziggy
RX
Lord Pheonix
Vigil
Nocbl2
dragoon9105
Ringleader
Felix
LeafyOwNu2
Toaster
Gold Spartan
CivBase
Dud Doodoo
Divine Virus
Rasq'uire'laskar
Gauz
TNine
Cheese
BBJynne
Kasrkin Seath
Ukurse
PiEdude
Death no More
kslidz
32 posters

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

Post by kslidz Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:32 pm

saw with my friends at midnight

i thought it was really good i didnt see in imax or 3d
but i thoroughly enjoyed my self

learning about a made up culture was very entertaining and the fighting was really cool

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:37 pm

Looked pretty beast, I want to see it Very Happy
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:40 pm

I want to see this movie so bad it's not even funny..
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:41 pm

the detail is ridiculous and the story and immersion into a, albeit fake, cultural is awesome

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:18 pm

I saw Avatar, 2 days ago in 3D and it was quite good.

I thought it being 3D was going to be very gimmicky as most 3D movies are, with things popping out of the screen every 5 minutes or so, totally breaking the immersion. But it wasn't like that, Avatar suited 3D as it seemed more blended into the experience. All the beautiful scenery and explosions were made even better by it, and most of all, it didn't have any fists, swords or arrows, trying and failing to jump out of the screen at you.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:01 pm

I've heard good things about it from many people.
However, that is besides the point that I think Human's would

NUKE IT FROM ORBIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:03 pm

I think they wanted to use it for a mining colony or something though.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:18 pm

so?
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Wanna go see that soon.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:01 pm

So good. Didn't see it in 3D.
Spoiler:
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm

I loved the movie, the visuals were beautiful, and the story even better.

The story was quite awesome, with the Na'vi, imperialistic company, and the main character. The movie was long, but it was so great you barely noticed.

I made a connection with the doctor in the movie to Doctor Catherine Halsey. They both were amazing minds, both scientists, both civilians working for a... higher power. The higher power was a company in search of making big bucks on Pandora by mining a very valuable mineral from the ground. They hired mercenaries, ex-marines most of them. The movie was spectaculer, I highly reccommend you see it.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:05 am

I just got back from Avatar, and I must say, it is a success on every level. I feel like I'm supposed to dig deep into the Thesaurus to find ways to bestow divinity upon it without coming across as sacrilegious, but I find myself unable to do so.

When I saw the previews, I thought it would be a fun romp, Terran Marines versus Night Elves. It was so much more than that, showing how James Cameron is willing to go to extraordinary lengths to create a new world, replete with alien flora and fauna, as well as extrapolating past human behavior into the future, where mecha, space travel, and VTOLs haven't stopped us from being ourselves: Monkeys with machine guns. Although the Na'vi were dangerously close to being inserts of idealized Native Americans, I believe that James Cameron pulled it off, successfully giving the Na'vi a sort of "Purity of Essence" even though they looked a lot like... purple skinned, three meter tall humans. Despite my instinctual dislike for nonhuman sapients, this movie fit the "Humans are Bastards" trope to a T, a trope I regard as true to life and have attempted to write it into my own material.

The Humans are a complex cast of characters. I expected much of the focus of Jake Sully's enthusiasm to be the regaining of his lost legs, and it was true for a while, until he began to delve into the culture of the Na'vi. Sigourney Weaver picked up another starring role as a Ph.D running the Avatar program, and probably got the best lines in the movie. She plays a sort of "Dian Fossey" (Guess who played her in 'Gorillas in the Mist'!) as a doctor who is studying the Na'vi, and is torn between protecting the tribe she is studying and backing the company that backs her. Finally, Stephan Lang plays the Colonel, a Big Bad who, if slightly lacking in the 'deep motivations' department, pulls off an EXCELLENT job as an unkillable badass who takes more killing to put down than an entire platoon of Marines. Not only does he SOUND like Sarge from RvB, but he also LOOKS like the Sarge that Luke McKay drew.

So, this movie gets ten stars out of ten from me, a person who is not only hard on movies, but also a xenophobic speciesist (I'm not sure if I've written that into Gui Montag, or Gui Montag has written it into me.) The technology exhibited by the humans, the complex morality and characterization, the superb dialogue, and the irreproachable camerawork make this an instant favorite of mine, perhaps my most favorite movie of all. But if you do see it, I recommend seeing it in 2D. Sadly, perhaps because of the equipment I was given, some of the closer sections were out of focus or seemed out of place. Ultimately, while the 3-D was never exploited, just tastefully utilized, I feel that it doesn't help with immersion, and prefer the silver screens of yesteryear.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:01 am

For some reason, I couldn't stop think of David Hasselhoff when ever I saw Colonel Quaritch. They don't even look very similar...

Hasselhoff
Quaritch
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:34 am

When I was at work today at my local Mall, there were SOOOOOOOOOO MANY PEOPLE waiting in line to see it. They were handing out the 3-D glasses with a push cart to the people in line. When I saw them I was like, Shocked oh meh gawd.

Anyways, I'm very exited to be seeing this soon. They said it was supposed to change the way we view movies. Not sure about that, but it sounds like people are really enjoying it and having a great time. Can't wait. Very Happy
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:16 pm

The 3-D glasses were out of focus unless you stared straight at the object in 3-D, and I thought it was just my eye condition.

I plan on seeing the movie again, like many reviewers said, you couldn't really .... see everything it had to show with just one viewing.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:40 pm

Gauz wrote:Na'vi

hey, listen!

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 pm

Pocahontas in space with a battle at the end. Ground breaking and amazing? Hardly. The story line was dull and predictable, the movie had to rely on good CGI and testosterone pumping for appeal.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:43 pm

Just saw it.

Movie of the year? Hands down.
Movie of the decade? I can't think of a decent competitor.
Best movie ever? Well... there's the original Star Wars trilogy... but that's still pretty good.

The movie was just about three hours long, but it could have easily been longer. They were so strapped for time that they had to cut two thirds of the time in the story into about ten minutes on screen. I wish it was five hours instead, but three is awful long as is, so I wont complain.

The visuals were simply breathtaking. The only problem I had was the Na'vi face, but there simply isn't technology to improve that (at least, not without quadrupling the movie's cost budget). This movie has definitely raised the bar for sci-fi and the like.

The story left very little out of place. Everything was etched in stone and it was simply amazing. You feel like an expert on the movie by the end. Every i was dotted and every t crossed. I'd like to say more, but you gotta see it for yourself.

10/10 from me, no contest.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:24 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:Pocahontas in space with a battle at the end. Ground breaking and amazing? Hardly.
So... the CGI flew right by your head?

As for the story, I doubt there's another movie out there that was nearly as daring and audacious as this one. A lot of people compare it to Pocahontas, Dances with Wolves (Which James Cameron acknowledged as an influence) and Ferngully (I hope to GOD nobody else had to suffer through that) because of the story elements. Again, how many movies out there are 100% original? I'm looking at my shelf of favorite movies, and only a few stick out as completely original. Red Dawn, the Prestige, Forrest Gump, and the Final Cut... That's it. The reason Avatar is 'So unoriginal' is because it's based ON OUR OWN HISTORY. Hell, we can call it more original than most because, unlike so many of the events in history, the Natives WON the battle. Ala "Little Bighorn" and the battle of Isandlwana.

Apocalypse now, V for Vendetta, A Bridge Too Far, and Flags of Our Fathers have been disqualified because they borrow upon historic events or previous stuff that wasn't very original to begin with.

And, again, Avatar is completely incomparable when it comes to camera work, CGI, and scope of battle.

Dud Doodoo wrote:The story line was dull and predictable, the movie had to rely on good CGI and testosterone pumping for appeal.
Dull and predictable? I found myself drawn into it actually. As for predictable, while certain elements were predictable, (I mean, come on! You saw the preview and drew your own conclusions! And how many movies keep you guessing 100% of the time?) there was a lot of stuff that ended up surprising me when it happened.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:Pocahontas in space with a battle at the end. Ground breaking and amazing? Hardly. The story line was dull and predictable, the movie had to rely on good CGI and testosterone pumping for appeal.
So Dud is part of the 1-100000 of the critics who were disappointed by Avatar. Razz
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:35 pm

Really Civ? It felt more to me like a glorified Fern Gully.

In Fern Gully, a lumber jack stumbles upon a tribe of nymphs who live in trees. He eventually becomes one of them, and falls in love with one of their women. Later into the movie, the Nymphs discover Red "X" marks some of the trees. The ex-lumber jack tells them what they mean, and they suddenly hate him. After that, he re-unites with the nymphs, and helps them fight back against the evil, Earth raping lumberjacks.

Sound familiar?

The movie "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" Also follows that same basic formula.

Aside from being entirely unoriginal, the movie was extremely predictable, the alien models were ugly, and most of the characters were... very typical. Could you ever have guessed that Michele Rodriguez would play a masculine female in a male dominated work force?

The visuals were pretty. Aside from that...

Movie of the year? No way
Movie of the Decade? Are you fucking kidding me?
Best movie ever? wat?

4/10 woooot
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:41 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Really Civ? It felt more to me like a glorified Fern Gully.

In Fern Gully, a lumber jack stumbles upon a tribe of nymphs who live in trees. He eventually becomes one of them, and falls in love with one of their women. Later into the movie, the Nymphs discover Red "X" marks some of the trees. The ex-lumber jack tells them what they mean, and they suddenly hate him. After that, he re-unites with the nymphs, and helps them fight back against the evil, Earth raping lumberjacks.

Sound familiar?

The movie "Atlantis: The Lost Empire" Also follows that same basic formula.

Aside from being entirely unoriginal, the movie was extremely predictable, the alien models were ugly, and most of the characters were... very typical. Could you ever have guessed that Michele Rodriguez would play a masculine female in a male dominated work force?

The visuals were pretty. Aside from that...

Movie of the year? No way
Movie of the Decade? Are you fucking kidding me?
Best movie ever? wat?

4/10 woooot

I haven't understood a single word Toaster has said since he stuck Ken Kutaragi's cock in his mouth.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:45 pm

lawl, I've been blowing Kutaragi since 2006. Guess you've never understood my posts. Razz
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:46 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Really Civ? It felt more to me like a glorified Fern Gully.
More people would rather watch Avatar over "Fern Gully", so I don't think that matters.

ReconToaster wrote:Sound familiar?
So like Rasq said, all movies have to be totally original?

ReconToaster wrote: the movie was extremely predictable,
I would hardly say 'extremely predictable'.

ReconToaster wrote:the alien models were ugly,
1) Thats your opinion, I thought they looked exotic.
2) When you think of aliens, do you think of beautiful beings?

ReconToaster wrote:and most of the characters were... very typical.
How?
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:59 pm

Gauz wrote:More people would rather watch Avatar over "Fern Gully", so I don't think that matters.

Which is why I called it "glorified." Be that as it may, I thoroughly enjoyed Fern Gully as a child.

Gauz wrote:So like Rasq said, all movies have to be totally original?

Not at all. Halo, for example, completely took the idea of "halo's" from Larry Niven. That's okay. Reusing an entire story line on the other hand, is not okay.

I would hardly say 'extremely predictable'.

Really? When they first introduced that giant flying thing, did you not immediately know that he would end up flying it? When they first introduced the military general guy, did you not immediately know that he was going to be a heartless ass hole? When wheelchair man first met that girl, did you not immediately predict that they were going to fall in love, and that he was going to switch sides and help them fight back?

I did. Both of my friends who I saw it with did. That makes a movie extremely predictable.

Gauz wrote: 1) Thats your opinion, I thought they looked exotic.
2) When you think of aliens, do you think of beautiful beings?

1) of course it's my opinion....
2) I shouldn't say ugly. I mean to say that they looked... silly. When you think of Aliens, do you think of perfectly humanoid beings with blue pigments and flat ass noses? It's not a matter of what we imagine aliens to look like. I just think the ones in Avatar look dumb.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 13 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next