Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Reach

+39
Zaki90
MrX
Ruski
CivBase
KristallNacht
Elabajaba
noir
TYFIGHTER
Barbbachello
Offensive Bias
A_Bearded_Swede
Prasheed
PiEdude
Lord Pheonix
RX
Kasrkin Seath
Angatar
TNine
Onyxknight
Death no More
Vigil
Ringleader
Dud Doodoo
Ukurse
Rotaretilbo
BBJynne
Ziggy
Nocbl2
KrAzY
dragoon9105
Rasq'uire'laskar
JB
Felix
Cheese
Gold Spartan
XNate02
Vtrooper
Gauz
Divine Virus
43 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Halo: Reach - Page 10 Empty Re: Halo: Reach

Post by Felix Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Gauz wrote:And I am made of orange juice

Nope, you're made of apple juice.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:00 pm

TNine wrote:But how could they not know that a scratch obscures your vision? Do you think none of them have ever seen cracked or scratched glass before?
Bungie Developer #1: How about, to show how he is a cold sonofabitch, we make him have a scratched skull on his armour?
Bungie Developer #2: Wouldn't that obscure his vision?
Bungie Developer #1: It's 2552, i'm sure they can make visors that don't obscure your vision when cracked.
Bungie Developer #2: Oh, i guess. But still, it seems kinda ridiculous....etc

I don't think Bungie dug down deep into light physics to make sure everything they were doing is okay.[/quote]

Just because you do not understand basic precepts of physics, this does not mean that the entire development team on Bungie also fails to understand the basic precepts of physics.

TNine wrote:But wouldn't they also be fairly small, and easy to look through?

Thin, but not faint. Imagine, for a moment, a blank canvas. Now take a box opener and make scratches on it until you have a skull that resembles the one in the trailer. Now hold the canvas up to a light. All of the light that gets through represents blind spots.

TNine wrote:So where is that equal and opposite reaction?

Are you suggesting that if you shoot an incredibly dence metal cube that was hollowed out and had a person inside, and the bullet bounced off and the person barely felt it, that this would not be an equal and opposite reaction?

TNine wrote:Also notably on Newton's Third Law and Halo: Shooting a BR at the side of a mongoose that's moving will cause it to flip, while shooting a BR when riding a mongoose will not.

Because most of the recoil of the gun is forced vertical by the movement of the gun, whereas the bullets full impact is horizontal.

TNine wrote:But the scientific process existed even before we thought the world was geocentric.

No...no it did not.

TNine wrote:Except when you are looking at his visor, you could see the light difracted off of five or six different scratches while Emile was careful enough so that at any point in his visor, from his eyes, he could only see one or two scratches on top of eachother?

I want you to look at the visor again.

Halo: Reach - Page 10 Grenadier_%28Noble_Team%29

Now tell me again that that is five or six different scratches, and that Emile will only see two or three when looking in any one direction.

TNine wrote:How much kids are exposed to these things are not important after a very small amount, because it spreads much faster from kid to kid then from, say, video games to kids.

Point stands, if we eliminated the external sources of cursing, we would delay them from learning of it properly for another few years.

TNine wrote:If there are many more unexplainable things, then i will be worried.

What, you haven't noticed that they are colored like M&M's?

TNine wrote:Upset because a Spartan's visor is technically physics-defying?

Upset because Bungie has abandoned all aspects of the Spartans that they spent the last nine years hammering home just to make the game slightly more appealing to little kids who still think that skulls are "cool."

TNine wrote:I've really only seen this.

So you didn't notice the random SPARTAN-IIIs that are supposed to be dead, that are supposed to be physically much smaller than SPARTAN-IIs, that are supposed to be wearing SPI armor, but instead are wearing Mk.V Armor that is, for some reason, not green, and for some reason, is heavily customized (the fucking armor was juts created, and there are already more customizations for it than could possibly be useful?), and that these Spartans all have accents for some reason, despite having lived together from age 4-5, and that for some reason they are operating on Reach with a SPARTAN-II, who, aside from Kurt, is strictly forbidden from ever knowing that the SPARTAN-IIIs exist because the SPARTAN-IIs regularly have dealings with Halsey, who it is of the utmost importance does not know about Ackerson's new pet project, etc etc? HOW DID YOU MISS THIS?

TNine wrote:But the point is, Bungie hasn't fucked up canon in the past besides retconning Brutes in. And if this, as a standalone issue, is nothing to be worried about.

Open you eyes! This isn't a stand alone issue!

TNine wrote:Err...did i miss something?

YES!

TNine wrote:1.) I never had faith in ES that they would keep up canon, as they had never (to my knowledge) been trusted with canon before. Bungie has been fine with canon up to date, and i will continue to believe they will be until shown completely otherwise.
2.) Bungie had little to no control over what ES did, if ES wanted to do something, Bungie coud not say no nor disaprove publically.

But we didn't find out this until after the fact. Thus, we should have initially had faith in ES. The game looked good when they first started. Many of us had faith in Graeme.

TNine wrote:The problem is, he's more than that. He's a cruel, cold SOAB that doesn't say much and loves to kill. It's difficult to pull that off, the helmet certainly helps though.

No, it isn't difficult to pull that off. It's one of the most overused archetypes in existence.

TNine wrote:We know little about Noble Team to date, so making assumptions about their attitudes are ridiculous.

But we know lots about the SPARTAN-III program. There's a whole book about it. SPARTAN-IIIs are green, but they aren't bloody Marines.

TNine wrote:And the color was to make characters much easier to identify from eachother, and personify each character better.

What, because the fact that each will have a sillouette so drastically different from the other as to be laughable that they are supposed to even be wearing the same armor wasn't enough? SPARTANS AREN'T SUPPOSED TO BE PERSONIFIED DIFFERENTLY!

TNine wrote:I think it was more for gameplay reason than anything, and it looked cool, unfortunatly. Nonetheless, it wasn't an total canon-rape it could have been.

Bungie did it because they could.

TNine wrote:Right, quantum physics. Which, BTW, Einstein was vehemently against.

What myths have you been reading?

I don't know if you realize this, but Keplar, listed as one of the final people to help enstate the heliocentric model, is also the guy who invented the scientific process. That is to say, the scientific process was probably first used to disprove the geocentric model. So, you still fail at history.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:00 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
TNine wrote:
Rot wrote:But how could they not know that a scratch obscures your vision? Do you think none of them have ever seen cracked or scratched glass before?
Bungie Developer #1: How about, to show how he is a cold sonofabitch, we make him have a scratched skull on his armour?
Bungie Developer #2: Wouldn't that obscure his vision?
Bungie Developer #1: It's 2552, i'm sure they can make visors that don't obscure your vision when cracked.
Bungie Developer #2: Oh, i guess. But still, it seems kinda ridiculous....etc

I don't think Bungie dug down deep into light physics to make sure everything they were doing is okay.

Just because you do not understand basic precepts of physics, this does not mean that the entire development team on Bungie also fails to understand the basic precepts of physics.
There's a difference between the properties of light we observe and the physics of light, ones they probably don't observe. Besides, their game designers, not physics majors.
Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:But wouldn't they also be fairly small, and easy to look through?

Thin, but not faint. Imagine, for a moment, a blank canvas. Now take a box opener and make scratches on it until you have a skull that resembles the one in the trailer. Now hold the canvas up to a light. All of the light that gets through represents blind spots.
Wouldn't only the edges of those scratches be blind spots?

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:So where is that equal and opposite reaction?

Are you suggesting that if you shoot an incredibly dence metal cube that was hollowed out and had a person inside, and the bullet bounced off and the person barely felt it, that this would not be an equal and opposite reaction?
No, but a Jackal couldn't hold an sheild with that kind of mass. When you have mass in gravity, you have weight.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Also notably on Newton's Third Law and Halo: Shooting a BR at the side of a mongoose that's moving will cause it to flip, while shooting a BR when riding a mongoose will not.

Because most of the recoil of the gun is forced vertical by the movement of the gun, whereas the bullets full impact is horizontal.
Umm...no Rot. The reason recoil is upwards is because:
The Barrel is torward the top, meaning above the barrel is less heavy and thus will go further, causing pivot.
When the gun is on your sholder perfectly squared, the backwards force will be above the point where the gun is, causing pivot.
You have your hands under the gun, meaning that the energy going down has more resistance.

Additionally, that would be just as physics defying, ie equal and opposite reaction.

The recoil force will still, for the most part, go into the mongoose.

TNine wrote:Except when you are looking at his visor, you could see the light difracted off of five or six different scratches while Emile was careful enough so that at any point in his visor, from his eyes, he could only see one or two scratches on top of eachother?

I want you to look at the visor again.

Halo: Reach - Page 10 Grenadier_%28Noble_Team%29

Now tell me again that that is five or six different scratches, and that Emile will only see two or three when looking in any one direction.
Fair enough. But i still think the visor looks like it has a scratched off top layer.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:How much kids are exposed to these things are not important after a very small amount, because it spreads much faster from kid to kid then from, say, video games to kids.

Point stands, if we eliminated the external sources of cursing, we would delay them from learning of it properly for another few years.
If the things that will expose them to swearing before Halo would do it, then i'm all for it. However, kids are getting exposed to this kind of thing at 8-9 (at least where i live), so by the time they reach Halo's target audience they've already recieved the full force of swears.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Upset because a Spartan's visor is technically physics-defying?

Upset because Bungie has abandoned all aspects of the Spartans that they spent the last nine years hammering home just to make the game slightly more appealing to little kids who still think that skulls are "cool."
These are Spartan III's, so i still have a little faith. Anything with Spartan II's would be a let-down, in my opinion, they've been built far past the point of realism.

So you didn't notice the random SPARTAN-IIIs that are supposed to be dead
There was actually a hook in GoO with six unexplained Spartans, what more do you want? ONI Top Secret, my friend.
that are supposed to be physically much smaller than SPARTAN-IIs
They are, but that's still a bit far. I'm 14 and i'm already taller than my 52-year-old dad, and after augmentations that they have both undergone, they don't grow much more.
that are supposed to be wearing SPI armor, but instead are wearing Mk.V Armor
Which they were given because they are meant to stay alive much longer.
and for some reason, is heavily customized (the fucking armor was juts created, and there are already more customizations for it than could possibly be useful?)
It's hand-me-downs from all the recent Mark V prototypes. They were probably experimenting with what would and wouldn't work
and that these Spartans all have accents for some reason, despite having lived together from age 4-5
Why would they lose their accents? They aren't travelling to someplace where all the accents are the same and no theirs, there are a tone of different accents in that camp. You can't conform to a common accent if there's no common accent. Would these accents be watered down? Probably. Would they dissappear? No.
and that for some reason they are operating on Reach with a SPARTAN-II, who, aside from Kurt, is strictly forbidden from ever knowing that the SPARTAN-IIIs exist because the SPARTAN-IIs regularly have dealings with Halsey, who it is of the utmost importance does not know about Ackerson's new pet project, etc etc?
See: Kurt. Besides, Jorge was brought in later, because they needed a quick replacement of a KIA Noble Team. There was another mention of an MIA in GoO.
HOW DID YOU MISS THIS?
I didn't, i looked into it.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:1.) I never had faith in ES that they would keep up canon, as they had never (to my knowledge) been trusted with canon before. Bungie has been fine with canon up to date, and i will continue to believe they will be until shown completely otherwise.
2.) Bungie had little to no control over what ES did, if ES wanted to do something, Bungie coud not say no nor disaprove publically.

But we didn't find out this until after the fact. Thus, we should have initially had faith in ES. The game looked good when they first started. Many of us had faith in Graeme.
We had no reason to believe in ES, they had never had to upkeep to canon before. We only trusted them because Bungie was working with them, which, as Krazy pointed out, was a lie.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:The problem is, he's more than that. He's a cruel, cold SOAB that doesn't say much and loves to kill. It's difficult to pull that off, the helmet certainly helps though.

No, it isn't difficult to pull that off. It's one of the most overused archetypes in existence.
They obviously don't want him to be an obvious archetype. The Skull was supposed to show more than just silent and cold, it was supposed to know his near-suicidal love of killing.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:We know little about Noble Team to date, so making assumptions about their attitudes are ridiculous.

But we know lots about the SPARTAN-III program. There's a whole book about it. SPARTAN-IIIs are green, but they aren't bloody Marines.
If i recall correctly, we only saw glimpses of several Spartans training, and none of them was to regard about the situation as a whole. Whereas in FoR, we had John talking many times about or for the Spartans.

Rot][quote="TNine wrote:I think it was more for gameplay reason than anything, and it looked cool, unfortunatly. Nonetheless, it wasn't an total canon-rape it could have been.

Bungie did it because they could.[/quote]It could have been because they wanted to show off the flamethrower against Covie badies, and that if we removed turret walking it would fuck up the flamethrower? You'd have to ask Bungie.

Rot wrote:
TNine wrote:Right, quantum physics. Which, BTW, Einstein was vehemently against.

What myths have you been reading?
History channel special on quantam physics. Einstein said he didn't like Quantum Physics because it totally ignored the theory of relativity.

Rot wrote:

I don't know if you realize this, but Keplar, listed as one of the final people to help enstate the heliocentric model, is also the guy who invented the scientific process. That is to say, the scientific process was probably first used to disprove the geocentric model. So, you still fail at history.
Fine then. It was before we knew continents moved, the theory of evolution, what radioactivity did to people, etc etc. Not to mention, i'm sure if i went back in time and asked a Roman why he was so certain of what he was certain of when compared to Greeks, he could've come up with a equally valid excuse. Assuming our generation is more advanced than the previous than the next generations are from us is a very common, very stupid view in history. In 2000 years, i'm sure the future people will be laughing at us and saying "They didn't even know how to bend gravity! HAHAHAHA!"

To all comments about color: Green is easily the best camoflague...in green envioronments. Where green in a desert, in the arctic, in autumn in Vermont, you're going to stick out like a sore thumb. So they would design different armours for different occasions, and as these Spartan III's have hand-me-down armour, it's possible they were just getting some armour that would blend in to different envioronments rather than make totally new armour.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 pm

As one of the founders of quantum mechanics Einstein didn't particularly favor it, yes.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Some interesting Info I came across:

Info
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:18 pm

I don't get what all the hype is about, I think the scratches make his Visor look cool.
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

What are you? 8 or something?

No, just kidding, but seriously skulls aren't really that cool...
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Did anyone even look at what I posted Sad
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Ringleader wrote:What are you? 8 or something?

What are you? 68 or something?

No, just kidding, but seriously skulls are really just that cool...
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Felix wrote:Did anyone even look at what I posted Sad

Yes, it is still pretty ambiguous, but hey, so long as they will truly adhere to the story and don't mess things up too bad, then it works for me.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:26 pm

RockaHolicGameR wrote:

Yeah I think it looks pretty damn sweet. The scratches give it real texture. Actually reminds me of a skull.
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Felix wrote:Did anyone even look at what I posted Sad
I was going to, but then saw it was the escapist, and closed the tab as quick as possible.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by XNate02 Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 am

JB wrote:
RockaHolicGameR wrote:

Yeah I think it looks pretty damn sweet. The scratches give it real texture. Actually reminds me of a skull.

agreed
XNate02
XNate02
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2345
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:25 pm

...Nah, the skull looks pretty lame, it doesn't look bad ass, nor does it look appropriate, nor... well, its just pretty bad all around.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:35 pm

No...no it's pretty badass and cool. It's just awesome all around.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:40 pm

I love how everybody is stating their opinions like fact.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by XNate02 Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Gauz wrote:I love how everybody is stating their opinions like fact.

Aint it grand Very Happy
XNate02
XNate02
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2345
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:48 pm

It's rather weird actually. Everyone refuses to accept that everyone else doesn't share their opinion.
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

RX wrote:It's rather weird actually. Everyone refuses to accept that everyone else doesn't share their opinion.
And that is different from day-to-day life... how?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:14 pm

We're ment to argue, but saying that something is definately bad-ass (other than to you) is dumb, I think. You can argue your point how it is bad-ass to you and try to persuade someone else into thinking it looks bad-ass, but it is not written in stone that it is in fact "bad-ass".
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:33 pm

Gauz wrote:We're ment to argue, but saying that something is definately bad-ass (other than to you) is dumb, I think. You can argue your point how it is bad-ass to you and try to persuade someone else into thinking it looks bad-ass, but it is not written in stone that it is in fact "bad-ass".
Unless we happen to be talking about Colonel Quartich. ^^
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:35 pm

I don't even think it looks like a skull. More like the outline to a stereotypical demon's head, IMO.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Skulls are about as cool as this guy:

Halo: Reach - Page 10 Skull-tatoo-1

Who, clearly, is not very cool.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:45 pm

How about this?

Skulls can be bad ass when used in the proper way. In this instance, the skull is just cliche, and comes off heavily as an over-the-top attempt to make what is already bad ass even more bad ass in order to appeal to people who care more about bad ass-ness than about plot.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:08 pm

I can agree with that.
Ringleader
Ringleader