Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Fanon

+10
CivBase
Rotaretilbo
Death no More
Vigil
Rasq'uire'laskar
Elabajaba
laxspartan007
Gauz
Vtrooper
Ringleader
14 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Fanon

Post by laxspartan007 Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:00 pm

yes, but he wants a free board, you cant make a free board from scratch (to my knowlage) and if you can than someone must make it...

and the Invision free forms dont seem THAT cluttered, you have Categorys, than Fourms in that, than Topics in that...

i dont know, but thats just me...
laxspartan007
laxspartan007
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:46 pm

Hey, lets cut down on the shit festival, no need to pick on Lax, after all, he actually has brought something to the table.

DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT YET...

I will draw up plans for it later, so no need to get worked up over what is currently nothing.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:15 pm

I'm pretty sure I made another post here. Did it get deleted?

Anyway, if any forum is needed, don't go with Invision. Go with phpBB, or even vBulletin if you have some cash to splurge.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:20 pm

Question: How much does it take to host a website? Because I'd rather not have advertising on it.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:26 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Question: How much does it take to host a website? Because I'd rather not have advertising on it.

Depends on your bandwidth requirements, and storage space. Shouldn't be more than $10 a month or so for something as small as this, possibly even less. And a domain will cost $5-$15 a year, depending on providers and quality and what not.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by laxspartan007 Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:48 pm

invision free without advertisemesnts is 5$ a month...thats all i know...
laxspartan007
laxspartan007
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Ok, so now that I had some time to think about it (and how simple it should be) I have made a concept of the site, keep in mind this is not final at all, but it should look something like this, (in terms of simplicity in layout, not simplicity in backgrounds or content):

The home page:

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Home

...and from the home page, we navigate to the art section:

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Art1

selecting one image should darken the background and bring the image along with the surrounding box into the foreground, like so:

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Art2

So that is how the art section should function, remember it is quite basic, but still, you get the idea.

Now starting from the Home page, I navigate to the fanon section:

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Fanon1

and select one of the stories, (keep in mind this is the extent of my understanding in terms of fanon, I was hoping rasq would organize it to his liking/understanding):

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Fannon2

Okay, what an adventure that was, now starting again from the Home page, I go to the source tab. This new page should show our sources and such, and also our prioritized view on halo canon, such as Halo CE:1 integral to abide by, while Halo Wars: not very important to abide by:

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Source

and finally, from the home page, we navigate once more to the contact page, this page will display all of our contact information and such, as well as questions comments and concerns.

Halo Fanon - Page 3 Contactinfo

Please offer any suggestions or comments, as I am somewhat of a virgin when it comes to website design, also I would like Rasq's input. We should get all this sorted out before we go into the actual creation of the site.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:28 pm

I'm near completion of my website design class, so I could probably make a site. I don't know how to make the enlarged picture with the grayed out background as you suggest, but I'm getting into some javascript in the class, so a google tutorial should clear that up.

I'm so busy, though, that even though the project sounds fun... I'd be more of a liability than an asset. However, if nobody else takes the job, I'll work on it when I have the chance. Really, the hardest part would be creating the images, but there are plenty of quick GIMP tutorials for cool website designs.

Just two questions:

1.) Where do you intend to get the information and how do you intend to sort through it? We obviously can't read through every Halo fan-fic online and check each for errors, but we can't only use stuff from TCF users for the site to ever get any attention.

2.) How do you intend to host the site? Do you have a free, reliable server in mind? Webspace usually doesn't come cheap now-a-days.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:45 pm

CivBase wrote:1.) Where do you intend to get the information and how do you intend to sort through it? We obviously can't read through every Halo fan-fic online and check each for errors, but we can't only use stuff from TCF users for the site to ever get any attention.
I know people who know people. It's not a big issue.

If we can do the lines and menus thing, I'd like that. Way better than the common drop-down menu.
Also, if we can get some cross-sections going, like in the Star Wars and Star Trek encyclopedias, that would be awesome. I really missed those in the Halo Encyclopedia.

Also, I would be able to put up some money for server space. It's not like it costs 100 dollars a month.
Seriously, if it cost more than 15 dollars a month for a server, dishing out the low level of bandwidth we'd need, I'd be surprised. How would WoW be so profitable?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:57 pm

A file tree system? Kinda like the folder system that computers use? The lines and stuff would require some javascript, but I already know that I will definitely learn that by the end of the year.

As for the price, you can get some decent servers for around $5 a month pretty easily, but that translates into $60 a year. It only builds from there, so if this goes through, it better get finished unlike 3-5 Random Gamers and many others projects that members of this forum start.

The end result would be awesome, though. Sorta like BZ Scrap for Battlezone, but easier to navigate, constantly updated, and used for fannon.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:00 pm

I'm near completion of my website design class, so I could probably make a site. I don't know how to make the enlarged picture with the grayed out background as you suggest, but I'm getting into some javascript in the class, so a google tutorial should clear that up.

I'm so busy, though, that even though the project sounds fun... I'd be more of a liability than an asset. However, if nobody else takes the job, I'll work on it when I have the chance. Really, the hardest part would be creating the images, but there are plenty of quick GIMP tutorials for cool website designs.

No problem, in fact a lot of people seem to have the skill or desire to create websites, I hope that maybe you could work together on this one.

Just two questions:

1.) Where do you intend to get the information and how do you intend to sort through it? We obviously can't read through every Halo fan-fic online and check each for errors, but we can't only use stuff from TCF users for the site to ever get any attention.

Well, most of the information I would get from the Halo games and novels and such. I think perhaps we will establish a kind of council and look for some well written fan made content, and we wouldn't really read through all of them, preferably we would seek out the best of the best, and tell them to assemble their best works, or to make new ones that fit our guidelines.

2.) How do you intend to host the site? Do you have a free, reliable server in mind? Webspace usually doesn't come cheap now-a-days.

Free is good, but depending on how good/popular it's going to be, then I suppose it wouldn't be a waste.

If we can do the lines and menus thing, I'd like that. Way better than the common drop-down menu.
Also, if we can get some cross-sections going, like in the Star Wars and Star Trek encyclopedias, that would be awesome. I really missed those in the Halo Encyclopedia.

I emailed Microsoft about the same thing, like suggesting that kind of cross sectional study of halo vehicles and such, but they said they didn't take unsolicited advice.

I guess it will be up to us to get the cool stuff done while they flippy-flop around with Halo Legends.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:25 pm

Ringleader wrote:
Just two questions:

Well, most of the information I would get from the Halo games and novels and such. I think perhaps we will establish a kind of council and look for some well written fan made content, and we wouldn't really read through all of them, preferably we would seek out the best of the best, and tell them to assemble their best works, or to make new ones that fit our guidelines.
Perhaps a form for submitting works is in order?

Then, of course, you'd have to figure out what constitutes as "fannon." You can't just pick and choose at your own digression. Are you going to count every cannon error as fatal? If so, you'd need one helluva determined group to comb through it all. If not, you'd need a clear rubric for what is and isn't fannon.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:33 pm

CivBase wrote:
Then, of course, you'd have to figure out what constitutes as "fanon." You can't just pick and choose at your own digression. Are you going to count every cannon error as fatal? If so, you'd need one helluva determined group to comb through it all. If not, you'd need a clear rubric for what is and isn't fanon.
Fanon:
Though it is distinct from canon, fanon is an interrelated concept in that the term encompasses invented (non-canon or not verified as being canon) facts or situations, especially those which are used so frequently in fan fiction that they become seen by many as an extended part of the canon. They become memetic within the fandom as many writers and fans adopt the same fanon, often within a relatively short time frame.

Anyhow, I have a slightly broader definition of fanon, but I guess we're out to make it, as per the definition above.
An example of fanon would be an explanation for the BR messup (Which, by the way, I DO have.)
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:26 pm

I would classify artistic fanon as design that fits into the Halo universe cohesively and logically.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:30 pm

Wait Im confused. You guys are making a Halo fan site or something?

Sorry I don't really want to read all 5 pages of this thread. :/
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:55 pm

Yeah
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:35 pm

Oh, awesome.

Well if you need some graphics done I'd be happy to help in anyway.

Cause that's about all I could do. Razz

Good luck on it. What would you call it? (the name of the site)
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Not "the Library". Too overused.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:44 pm

This sounds like a good idea.
You should divide it into confirmed Halo Canon, Fanon and then fanfiction sections

Have what is 'accepted' as fanon. Have any and all fanfics(just let people upload them at will like at FF.net). distinguish good from bad, and as following accepted Fanon and those that dont(I.E. elite/human hybrid should never be part of Fanon)
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:55 pm

Here's an interesting question: what actually is Halo fanon? Like not the definition, but examples of it.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:03 am

Well, I guess if you made up a UNSC planet which was sound and fit existing Canon, it could be considered Fanon
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:26 am

But to be fanon, it would be widely accepted as unofficial canon.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:18 am

yeah... that too
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:21 am

That's what I was worried about, Rot.

I guess we can consider just about anything as fanon if it does not contradict what has already been established in the books and games (other than the widely accepted retcons).

And I suppose with Fan Fics, a system can be worked out where they submit their stories and the stories get put up automatically. If they are deemed fannon later on, they can be put in a special section, or given a mark of approval.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:05 pm

How about we just put them in and label them on fanon based on the quality of the story?

Aaaaand who is going to read all the stories that are being requested to be put in? Moderators?
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next