Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things

2 posters

Go down

FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things Empty FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:50 am

So Phil Fish, Creator of Fez went apeshit on twitter last night after Marcus "anoyed gamer" Beer from gametrailers Invisble walls podcast accused him and Johnathan Blow of being "fucking hipsters" because they refused to comment on the recent announcement about the Xbox One having self-publishing.

It escalated quickly.

http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/so-fez-ii/1100-4700/

So now FEZ II is cancelled, and he's taking an indefinite break from the games industry.

http://www.edge-online.com/features/phil-fish-and-the-hate-mob-an-internet-tragedy/

I never played Fez, but what I know about it made it seem like a unique and interesting game compare to your standard platforming title, and while I don't always agree with his outbursts Fish clearly had passion for what he believed in.

On the flip side, I used to listen to the IW podcast a lot and while Beer has been known for angry outbursts like this, I think this is the first time he's personally attacked someone.

In the end we have more pointless internet drama, which ends up with a promising game getting cancelled and everybody involved coming across as an asshole.

It's times like this I fucking hate the internet.

Last edited by Vigil on Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Found a better source that explains what happened in full.)
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things Empty Re: FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things

Post by CivBase Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:15 am

Most of the things I've heard about Phil from the past two years point to him being a tad immature. Yah, it sucks when journalists and media hosts attack people over trivial things, but you need to have some thick skin if you want to be in the public light and Phil's skin was made of kerosene-soaked paper mache.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things Empty Re: FEZ 2 canned-This is why we can't have nice things

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:50 am

CivBase wrote:Most of the things I've heard about Phil from the past two years point to him being a tad immature.  Yah, it sucks when journalists and media hosts attack people over trivial things, but you need to have some thick skin if you want to be in the public light and Phil's skin was made of kerosene-soaked paper mache.

To be fair, he spent over 5 years trying to make Fez, and made a lot of finnacial and personal sacrifices in getting it done, some of which were his own doing (His partner who helped make the game and him fell out not long after release over who did what and what money they were entitled to, usual stuff).

I think the second article I put up sums up his issue perfectly, and I understand the need to have thick skin when in the public spotlight as your going to a ripe target of abuse in that light, but some of the backlash he got because of things he said were probably taken out of context.

Dude is very immature and it's very grating sometimes watching him lash out at people in response to people, but you'd hope he would of kept his professional life seperate from private life.

I mean in comparsion Johnathan Blow's response is pretty civil as he calmly explains they were asked to comment on a rumour about the self publishing, prior to it being confirmed. He also pointed out how difficult it is to make an indie game as all the responsibility for it lies on you, so being constantly shit on by people who know nothing about game development can really make developers like him and Fish consider quiting. He also brought a lot of decent examples and ideas of how to fix this, which is probably how Fish should of gone about it.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down