Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Thing's point of view from "The Thing"

3 posters

Go down

The Thing's point of view from "The Thing" Empty The Thing's point of view from "The Thing"

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:59 am

This came out in 2010 from a Mr.Peter Watts who is a science fiction writer that has written a few books.

What I bring to you now is a not so short story written by this man going over the events of the film "The Thing" (original version, the prequel had not yet come out I believe) from The Thing's point of view.

I found it quite fascinating to read the story from a point of view that was written WELL of how alien a being could think compared to us. Not with black or white morality but with blue and orange. Our thoughts and ways just do not compute and fail to have any sense. And while i've seen that trope in a few works this one actually portrays it well with showing it's thought process and the way the author makes it think using words wrong or it's speech in general(I am being Cooper; referring to humans as a collective being of "The World" since it's only concept of life is of many beings, one mind; of our physcial make up being alien while it's is normal)

Is a good read (also a listen if you prefer with the audio version up top)

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/watts_01_10/
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Thing's point of view from "The Thing" Empty Re: The Thing's point of view from "The Thing"

Post by Ascendant Justice Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:43 pm

This is actually pretty darn cool.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

The Thing's point of view from "The Thing" Empty Re: The Thing's point of view from "The Thing"

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:31 pm

Wow.

I haven't seen John Carpenter's "The Thing", but I know the basics. And that short story was pretty good.

Incidentally, it's the second media from the Thing's point of view that I have seen. The first was a sort of Jazz or Rockabilly song where the Thing was singing about itself.
"I'm just a dog, for all you know.... ... hey, look, ya found me! I'm impressed!"
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down