Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio.

+8
Lord Pheonix
KristallNacht
dragoon9105
PiEdude
Gauz
Rasq'uire'laskar
Divine Virus
Vigil
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio. Empty The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio.

Post by Vigil Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:57 pm

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/greg-zeschuk-ray-muzyka-are-leaving-bioware/4373/

Dr Greg Zeschuk and Dr Ray Muzyka have both confirmed they are leaving Bioware, and it appears games for the time being.

I wonder how this will effect the studio in the future and given their recent problems with their games.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio. Empty Re: The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio.

Post by Divine Virus Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:13 pm

Especially sence there's supposedly a new Mass Effect game coming soon...

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/09/18/bioware-hints-at-new-mass-effect-game-names-dlc
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio. Empty Re: The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio.

Post by Vigil Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:21 pm

And more DLC for Mass Effect 3 which has us return to retake Omega.

In the industry this is called damage control.

Seriously though I'm having a hard time justifying any return to the ME universe. Sure they have a rich universe with a lot of interesting conflicts and characters, but they burned a lot of people with ME3.

They'd have to do something radically different to pull people back.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:27 pm

^I agree. ME3 was still a great game but a lot of aspects about it did rub people the wrong the way. Doing something different etc is necessary I think too.

I'll still play and give chances though. You know me. Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:11 pm

Vigil wrote:And more DLC for Mass Effect 3 which has us return to retake Omega.

In the industry this is called damage control.
In this case, it's damage control that I accept. Should have been one of the first DLCs to come out.

Vigil wrote:Seriously though I'm having a hard time justifying any return to the ME universe. Sure they have a rich universe with a lot of interesting conflicts and characters, but they burned a lot of people with ME3.

They'd have to do something radically different to pull people back.
So long as EA is at the helm and Casey Hudson is in charge, I doubt we'll get anything new.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:24 pm

I believe it probably should of been in the shipped game but that's just my opinion.

They confirmed that Casey Hudson is:
Overseeing the additional Mass Effect 3 content and the untitled new Mass Effect game, while also overseeing the creation of a brand-new world.

So those problems that persisted through the series and culminated in 3? Yeah probably going to still be in there sadly.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:35 pm

Vigil wrote: Sure they have a rich universe with a lot of interesting conflicts and characters,

hehehe so did halo
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:04 pm

They pretty much ruined ME3 for me with the whole ending deal, and the fans supporting the ending on BW's forums just drove a few nails into that coffin.

The Extended Cut instead of coming up with a near-decent ending just cremated it.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:25 pm

The ending was Allegory and im sticking to that theory. It makes a hell of alot more sense than an AI using a paradox to explain its beliefs.

Also from what i understand the founders of bioware have been pretty hands off with development for a while now havent they?
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:05 pm

It wasn't even a paradox. More a passing of the mantle.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:14 pm

Thinks he means the:

"I send in synthetics to kill all the civilizations so that the civilizations don't create synthetics that will kill all the civilizations.

.......seems like it should have a "yo dawg" in there don't it?
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:22 pm

.......clearly people are missing the subtleties of that discussion.

The Reapers only kill off top tier life, because the top tier life will create synthetics that will kill ALL life.

It's pretty simple.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:03 pm

It's showing vs telling.
We've been shown that peace between the Geth and the Quarians is possible. Hell, we did it ourselves, as Commander Shepard.

And then reincarnation of Wesley Crusher comes along in the last five minutes and tells us "It's not going to work." We don't get to argue, because our actions don't matter.

Any way you cut it, that's terrible storytelling.

I think more rage came from the fact that Deus Ex Beiber used Space Magic to combine organic DNA and nonexistent synthetic DNA to create... something. And the fact that absolutely none of our actions mattered because the whole galaxy gets destroyed.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:29 pm

I don't really see how the whole galaxy gets destroyed, but yes, I understand the whole "our actions didn't change anything" but they never really did in any of the other games either.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote: "It's not going to work." We don't get to argue, because our actions don't matter.

Any way you cut it, that's terrible storytelling.
Totally depends on the setting. For a game like Mass Effect, "your actions don't matter" is literally the exact opposite of everything Mass Effect stands for. But removing choice and giving not-options can also be very effective to create a feeling of powerlessness. Look at Gordon Freeman's choices in Half-Life, for example.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:40 pm

To break the Microwave or not to break the microwave... decisions decisions.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:45 pm

http://www.giantbomb.com/news/bioware-montreal-building-next-mass-effect-game/4447/

So the next Mass Effect game will be made by a different studio, and using Frostbite 2 over the Unreal engine.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Well, the new studio is bad news, but the new engine might be good news. Is it moddable?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:29 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Well, the new studio is bad news, but the new engine might be good news. Is it moddable?

After the mess ME3 was, I think a new studio would be better.

Frostbite 2 has been used a lot of late for EA games, the Need for speed games since Hot Pursuit have used it, Medal of Honor used it and Battlefield 3 used it.

So it might have some, but not official mods.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Last I recall, DICE refused to release mod tools for Frostbite 2 because it was "too complicated". It was quite disappointing, coming from Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2, where mods were quite prominent.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:44 pm

it may just be time. It's too complicated right now, and as they refine their developer tools to work with it, they can then release them.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:18 pm

The Frostbite engine has been around for coming on five years now, the Frostbite 1.5 engine coming on four, and the Frostbite 2 engine coming on two. To my knowledge, none of these engines have had mod tools released.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:31 pm

thats also lots of time in there rewriting the engine.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

The co-founders of Bioware are leaving the studio. Empty Next mass effect game

Post by Vigil Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:57 am

It has a rough launch date now.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/12/12/next-mass-effect-gets-a-rough-launch-window-through-2015/

So 2-3 years again. Let's hope they don't rush it this time.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 am

inb4MassEffectMMO
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next