Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!!

+20
Gold Spartan
dragoon9105
Felix
Ukurse
Lord Pheonix
PiEdude
TNine
Rotaretilbo
Vigil
Indecisive One.
Divine Virus
Ascendant Justice
Gauz
BBJynne
RX
KristallNacht
Cheese
Elabajaba
Kasrkin Seath
Ruski
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!! Empty GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!!

Post by Ruski Tue May 11, 2010 1:23 pm

From a Yahoo Article:

If you buy your sports games used and enjoy playing them online for free, EA would like to have a word with you.

And that word would be "no."

The mega-publisher announced Monday that beginning with the June 8th release of Tiger Woods 11, all future EA Sports games for the Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 will include a one-time, game-specific "Online Pass" code, which grants access to "online services, features and bonus content."

Sounds fine and dandy, but for one catch: while the code comes free with new copies of any EA Sports game, it can only be used once. Buy the game used -- or even just rent it through a service like GameFly -- and you'll be unable to play it online beyond a free seven-day trial period...unless you cough up $10 for an additional Online Pass.

"This is an important inflection point in our business because it allows us to accelerate our commitment to enhance premium online services to the entire robust EA SPORTS online community," said EA Sports president Peter Moore.

According to the official Online Pass site, online services that will be affected by the feature include "multiplayer online play, group features like online dynasty and leagues, user created content, and bonus downloadable content for your game including, for example, a new driver in Tiger."

The move is part of EA's so-called "Project Ten Dollar" initiative and is considered another attack on the used game market, which many publishers see as a financial black hole. EA has made prior attempts to dissuade the practice, although it remains an affordable solution to gamers looking for a bit of a bargain at the cost of owning new.

Interestingly, leading game retailer GameStop, who enjoy substantial revenue from selling used games, is seemingly supportive of the new program.

"This relationship allows us to capitalize on our investments to market and sell downloadable content online, as well as through our network of stores worldwide," said GameStop CEO Dan DeMatteo.

So is this a smart move by EA, or merely another case of a publisher gouging its customers?

And now I ask, What the Fuck is this shit EA? Trying to take more money from us? Fuck sakes....
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!! Empty Re: GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!!

Post by Kasrkin Seath Tue May 11, 2010 1:39 pm

its fucking bullshit
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!! Empty Re: GODDAMN IT EA!! NOT ANOTHER THING!!!

Post by Elabajaba Tue May 11, 2010 1:42 pm

They don't get anything from used game sales, so it makes sense to me. This is just them trying to discourage people buying used games, which causes them to lose lots of money.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Tue May 11, 2010 1:53 pm

Elabajaba wrote:They don't get anything from used game sales, so it makes sense to me. This is just them trying to discourage people buying used games, which causes them to lose lots of money.

This is pretty much my stance as well. At least they're offering the chance for second time users to get in online instead of just blanking them entirely. It may not be great for the consumer, but the second hand market is a pretty big deal.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Tue May 11, 2010 2:48 pm

If someone bought an old shirt at a garage sale, should they still have to pay the store that originally sold it just to wear it?
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 pm

but is the maker of the shirt coming and making sure the shirt is functioning properly? no

EA still has to support the games online.

many developers already do this with one time use codes for lots of extended content.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Tue May 11, 2010 3:19 pm

Good thing I don't buy any EA sports games then
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Tue May 11, 2010 3:20 pm

I haven't bought a new console game in my life.
I also have never tried to get online with any of them, so this really doesn't affect me unless they start having paid usage for PC/Mac online.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue May 11, 2010 3:36 pm

I don't play EA sports games.

Let alone play them online.

Go ahead EA.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Tue May 11, 2010 4:02 pm

RX wrote:Good thing I don't buy any EA sports games then
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue May 11, 2010 4:19 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
RX wrote:Good thing I don't buy any EA sports games period then
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Indecisive One. Tue May 11, 2010 4:31 pm

I play madden sometimes but besides that nothin.
Indecisive One.
Indecisive One.
Minion

Male Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue May 11, 2010 4:32 pm

Good thing EA servers are some of the worst in the business that they barely function.

I expected this after Mass Effect 2 and Bad company 2 doing similar things.

To be fair the developer and publishers don't get any return on a used game, and it hurts the industry a lot.

It's a dickish move, but from a business stance it makes sense.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue May 11, 2010 4:34 pm

While the shirt company may not have to come over every few weeks to ensure that the shirt is still functional, the shirt company also doesn't release a shirt that requires weekly maintenance to remain functional. The shirt company makes a shirt, and it will continue to function properly as long as you don't physically break it for years.

And I would hardly qualify EA customer service as real customer service. I mean, have you ever actually tried to use it? Their customer service representatives are surely automated, and it pisses me off. My got flagged for a typo in a Spore creature description because I accidentally typed "tits" instead of "its". I got an email saying that I could dispute the flag by going to the customer service area. So I went down and asked if obvious typos counted as profanity under the terms agreement, and I got back a regurgitated message that basically just referred me to a section of the terms agreement that I had already read and was referring to. When I told him that I had read that section and that he had not answered my question, another representative posted the section of the terms agreement in question. When I again pointed out that this had nothing to do with my question, that I had read it, and that I was asking a question pertaining to it that simply reading it would not answer, they marked my question as answered and locked it.

So no, EA has no real legitimate claim to having to maintain their games, because most of the issues they are maintaining are also caused by them. It would be like if you bought a shirt at a garage sale and every few weeks, a guy from the shirt company would come and tear a hole in it, and only customers who bought the shirt new would get access to tailors to fix it.

Not to mention that even if EA had a legitimate claim to customer service, it doesn't matter. Do you know why? Because EA got their money. EA was paid once for the game to maintain that game. It isn't like when the game is resold, there are now two copies of it, and so EA has to maintain extra games. They are maintaining one game per purchase, and whether that game is owned by the originally buyer or a new buyer has nothing to do with whether EA has a legal obligation to support the game.

At the end of the day, this is pure greedy corporate bullshit, and just another reason why I am going to murder every member of the management of EA when I snap and become a serial killer.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue May 11, 2010 4:40 pm

They're corporate assholes, but they're only doing because used games are the scourge of the industry.

The fact you can get a relatively new game are nearly half the price very quickly drops a lot of money from their pockets. Gamestop lives of it's used game sales, and not a single penny goes to the people who made the game.

I have no love for EA, and their only second to activison as my most hated game publisher, and as much as I hate this move, I can understand why they did it, and it's just an expansion of the shit they've been pulling for the last couple of months.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue May 11, 2010 4:41 pm

Vigil wrote:Good thing EA servers are some of the worst in the business that they barely function.
Battlefield: BC2 works great. But I guess that would be the one that works right out of many that don't work properly, huh?
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Indecisive One. Tue May 11, 2010 4:43 pm

I had no idea EA made BFBC2. But then again I never played it.
Indecisive One.
Indecisive One.
Minion

Male Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue May 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Let me see.

Army of Two, and Army of Two the 40th day

C&C 3 and Kanes wrath has a poor system- only good for friendly games.

Godfather and Godfather II

LOTR: Battle for Middle earth 2.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue May 11, 2010 4:53 pm

Out of those that you listed the only one(s) I've played and owned is CnC3 & Kane's Wrath & RA3. And I never had any problems when playing online. Even when playing against randoms. Call me lucky.

Not saying that the EA servers are great or anything just that my experience with a few of their online games has been more then fine with me.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue May 11, 2010 4:57 pm

They range from decent to absolute failures.

Army of the Two is the biggest offender. That game was region locked, so I can only play with other players in europe, AND IT STILL LAGS TERRIBLY.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue May 11, 2010 5:01 pm

Oh! I got another one...

Burnout Paradise. That games online is fantastic.

And I could care less about games like Army of Two, that's just me. Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue May 11, 2010 5:08 pm

The way I see it is this

If they have a thrid party develop it, they're usually okay (Or superb if your Dice)

If they make them, they're terrible (e.g Army of two)
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue May 11, 2010 5:29 pm

I don't see the problem. It's not like they are giving a big "Fuck you" to their loyal fans, MW2 style.

They are simply returning a favor to those that choose to buy second-hand. I've never done this, so no problem here.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue May 11, 2010 7:47 pm

basically, they're just making more pirates, so I don't give a fuck.

Just wait for Google to appear as a publisher and all will be good.

ps. for those that never noticed, Google tends to start stepping into the territory of every company that starts overstepping their bounds when it comes to serving the people.

VIVA LA REVOLUTION!!
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue May 11, 2010 7:50 pm

This is only gonna hurt Blockbuster.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum