Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Walking Dead

+4
GreyApothecary
KristallNacht
CivBase
PiEdude
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The Walking Dead Empty The Walking Dead

Post by PiEdude Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:19 pm

Anyone watch this show?

I do, and it's amazingly good.

It has the perfect balance of spectacular action, and deep emotional drama. It's just a really good show, and each episode is movie quality. Not to mention the damn tension some times...

Trailer:
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

The Walking Dead Empty Re: The Walking Dead

Post by CivBase Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:24 pm

Only seen the first episode. It was pretty good as far as TV shows go.

It's just...

I understand that zombie stories are supposed to be unrealistic and all... but couldn't they try to keep it a little closer to reality? It seems like they go half way.

From the first episode, I could tell that the population densities were better than typical. The suburb had a few zombies (but nothing like L4D) and there were almost no zombies in the rural areas. There was one hic-up, though... right at the beginning, in the hospital full of dead bodies - where there should be a HUGE infection rate - there was nothing.

This brings me to another point. When he left the hospital he came across a massive pile of bodies; they were just that: dead. Later on, however, when he took the bike, the half-body of the dead girl started crawling after her.

Zombies are humans, just infected. They need vital organs to work. The heart, the lungs, the brain. This girl was missing half her face and her entire body below the waste, not to mention she was so crusted over that it was obvious she had been laying there for days already. How is she alive? Normally, I'd be okay with this, but what about all the bodies outside the hospital? Inconsistencies are bad.

My last criticism. He's going after his wife and kid, right? To make sure they're okay? And they're in the "safe zone"... ya follow? My problem is that the "safe zone" is in the middle of a huge city. WTF? Don't you want "safe zones" to have as little zombies as possible? That's not safe, it's suicide!

Why would you get a bunch of people together anyways? Like I said before, zombies are people. More people = more ways things can go wrong and more potential zombies.

BUT... it was still a TV show about a zombie apocalypse, and I liked the "Deputy gets shot and is out cold in hospital while the infection spreads" thing. It was good ^^
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:32 am

you liked the hospital thing? you mean the thing ripped directly from 28 days and inconsistent with the original story?

what I did enjoy is that in the first 30 minutes i saw one of the most disfigured bodies i've ever seen, and the scariest door i've ever seen...so good on that lol

the pile of bodies outside the hospital was more likely those shot than those infected, and the hospital was fairly empty due to the fact it was used as the local military's base of operations.

the short term reason for setting up a safe area in a population center is being able to get care to as many people as fast as possible. this benefit is just always trumped by a under prepared military being stretched too thin and a lack of adequate detection measures.

the fact the safe area was originally in a major population center isn't an issue. the issue is the fact one would actually think it's still there after transmissions stopped.

the part with the barely alive girl is hardly an issue as well, as its the brain that controls the zombie. organs don't make your muscles work. your nerve system does. organs just give the means to keep muscles working longer and better, hence the lack of runners thusfar in the show.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyApothecary Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:45 pm

looks interesting
GreyApothecary
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:28 am

Watched all the episodes. I saw nothing wrong with the show. It keeps to the basis of how the traditional zombie is suppose to be and NT does bring up a good point on the hospital.

The current "safe zone" is not in the city and NT's point still stands on the original in the city. Now, the fact he goes to the city is a logical choice. At this point, one could assume that the best chance of finding people would be in a city. Let's cast aside the fact that there would be zombies there, of course. It's just natural to assume it would be one of the first places one would look, because of it's previous status of once being filled with many people. And that there would be supplies there as well.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:36 pm

KristallNacht wrote:you liked the hospital thing? you mean the thing ripped directly from 28 days and inconsistent with the original story?
Never heard of 28 Days.

I guess the rest makes sense... though I still think the risk of being overrun would override the potential benefit of setting up a "safe zone" in a dense population area.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:07 am

you've never heard of 28 days later?

wtf?

and the 'risk' of being overrun is put behind the large benefits of providing care to a larger number of patients during a time when a mostly unknown virus spreads. One that isn't really understood.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:39 am

CivBase wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:you liked the hospital thing? you mean the thing ripped directly from 28 days and inconsistent with the original story?
Never heard of 28 Days.

Stop what your doing, I don't care what time it is, or how important what your doing is, and go see it.

It's one of the best modern zombie movies.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Also, CivBase, your point on all the dead people around the hosiptal in the body bags? It was explained in the 1st episode when the black guy (forget his name, I remember him from the show Jericho tho Very Happy) says that those were the ones they put down. Them being in the body bags goes with the 2nd episode, when they wore the trenchcoats to keep the blood from actually getting on them, as there was the fear that it could spread that easily.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:24 pm

no, them being in body bags is out of respect for the dead, moreso than hazmat
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:36 pm

Oh... I missed part of that discussion. That must be where they explained it.

Cool.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:07 pm

CivBase wrote:
Zombies are humans, just infected. They need vital organs to work. The heart, the lungs, the brain. This girl was missing half her face and her entire body below the waste, not to mention she was so crusted over that it was obvious she had been laying there for days already.
I would just like to point out that zombies are not real. Meaning that what you said is kinda pretty false. Resident evil zombies are humans that are dead and do not need any other vital functions besides motor skills and lower brain functions.

There are many kind of zombies. 28 Weeks Later and L4D zombies aren't the only kind.

CivBase wrote:My last criticism. He's going after his wife and kid, right? To make sure they're okay? And they're in the "safe zone"... ya follow? My problem is that the "safe zone" is in the middle of a huge city. WTF? Don't you want "safe zones" to have as little zombies as possible? That's not safe, it's suicide!
Maybe he really likes his family and wants to make sure they're okay? Love blinds people.

Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:34 pm

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:
Zombies are humans, just infected. They need vital organs to work. The heart, the lungs, the brain. This girl was missing half her face and her entire body below the waste, not to mention she was so crusted over that it was obvious she had been laying there for days already.
I would just like to point out that zombies are not real. Meaning that what you said is kinda pretty false. Resident evil zombies are humans that are dead and do not need any other vital functions besides motor skills and lower brain functions.

There are many kind of zombies. 28 Weeks Later and L4D zombies aren't the only kind.
The premise of the zombie remains constant, though. In this case, my description of the zombie applies to this show.

I always hated political correctness and that's not going to change just because I'm on the internet. If anything, it will only get worse.

Gauz wrote:
CivBase wrote:My last criticism. He's going after his wife and kid, right? To make sure they're okay? And they're in the "safe zone"... ya follow? My problem is that the "safe zone" is in the middle of a huge city. WTF? Don't you want "safe zones" to have as little zombies as possible? That's not safe, it's suicide!
Maybe he really likes his family and wants to make sure they're okay? Love blinds people.
I'm not questioning why he' going after them. I'm questioning why the people in charge of the safe zone decided it was a good idea to be in the middle of a city.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Sat Nov 20, 2010 11:16 pm

CivBase wrote:

Zombies were humans, now not just infected, but mutated. As Gauz said, zombies can vary from story to story. In the Zombie Survival Guide, for example, it claims that the zombies in that particular fiction develop a sort of organ in the frontal lobe of their brains that effectively robs them of both the need for oxygen, and higher thought.

That being said, the legless zombie in question was significantly weaker and more emaciated than any normal zombie. This seems to suggest that without a constant supply of food (which apparently can be any meat, not just human, as shown by the one eating sewer rats and the other eating a deer) they begin to wither and starve.

Whatever happens to them, it causes them to no longer need most of their vital organs, and rely almost solely on the brain and muscles (maybe creating some kind of system where nutrition is transferred only to the brain and muscles within their bodies).

Regardless, if it turns out not to be true Sci-Fi (Romero's zombies in particular just seem to change their habits and biology from movie to movie, and no real explanations are offered) then most of this won't really matter. Need I remind anyone that the original zombie lore originated with voodoo curses and the like?

He's trying to find them, not just make sure they're alright. He wants to find them alive, yes, but it's also logical to assume that if they actually are alive and safe, then it would only make sense to be where they are anyway. Though, to be honest, he probably hadn't even thought that far ahead. There's already been a few things so far to show that he doesn't really posses a whole lot of foresight.

And as for placing a safe zone within a city:
The whole Zombie Apocalypse probably happened rather quickly. As evidenced by the hospital, and the tanks and military emplacements in the streets, many places that were thought to be easily defensible at first were eventually (if not relatively quickly) overrun before a better plan could be devised.

The survivors so far are the people who have either gathered enough knowledge about the zombies and their habits to survive, or have followed those that have. The fact that just about everyone alive so far knows that they are attracted to noise is a good example of this.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:21 pm

This played at the end of the first episode.

My fav Very Happy

I thought this was a pretty good trailer. The music fits pretty well.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:27 pm

How many episodes is this onto now? Cause I missed the first one I know that much.

Are any of the episodes online to watch? If so then a link would be much appreciated.

I do wanna watch this series. It's on Sundays right?
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:06 pm

There are only 6 episodes this season. The 4th episode just aired this past Sunday. Episodes are on at 10-11 EST time on AMC on Sundays. A second season was announced after the 2nd episode, which appearently will have many more episodes than this first season.

I do believe they have the first and maybe the 2nd on the website.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:14 pm

It's OnDemand too, if you have Comcast.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:17 pm

PiEdude wrote:It's OnDemand too, if you have Comcast.
It is? Cool, I'll do that then. Thanks.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:19 pm

EDIT: I don't know why it double posted that...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:41 pm

and its always on torrents
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:58 pm

KristallNacht wrote:and its always on torrents

True, but I still like just watching it on TV more. Bigger screen, surround sound, and I have no idea how to move a torrent from a computer to a TV, besides maybe burning a DVD or something (is that even possible?), plus that whole moral thing I guess.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:02 am

I'm right with ya on that one Pie. More so the, better experience but also moral too.

That's just me...or us, I guess. Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:15 am

PiEdude wrote:

True, but I still like just watching it on TV more. Bigger screen, surround sound, and I have no idea how to move a torrent from a computer to a TV, besides maybe burning a DVD or something (is that even possible?), plus that whole moral thing I guess.

HDMI cable between laptop and hdtv, duh

or use your xbox as a media bridge
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:25 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
PiEdude wrote:

HDMI cable between laptop and hdtv, duh

or use your xbox as a media bridge

You mean I have to take apart my Xbox and use the parts to build a bridge from the computer to the TV? Do you have any idea how far away my TV is from my computer? I don't even think there are enough parts in a 360 to do that...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next