Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Legends 'The Package' review.

+15
Gauz
Dud Doodoo
Rasq'uire'laskar
JB
Nocbl2
BBJynne
PiEdude
A_Bearded_Swede
Vtrooper
CivBase
Ringleader
Felix
Divine Virus
LeafyOwNu2
Vigil
19 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Halo Legends 'The Package' review. - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Legends 'The Package' review.

Post by CivBase Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:52 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
I think we can agree that this idea was shot out the window with The Babysiter, at least as far as Halo Legends goes.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
I was wondering that myself. Perhaps they have an entire fleet on standby, but only the prowler de-cloaked to release the little fighter things. Though why it had to de-cloak at all to do this is beyond me.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
Well, they were wearing Mark VI armor, so.... so.... the armor doesn't fit anywhere. There was no gap between Halo 2 and 3 for this to occur.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
Indeed. I still can't figure out why it de-cloaked in the first place.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
Other than the flagship, they're all decoys.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Spoiler:
EVA armor has made multiple appearances at this point. I think it's safe to assume that EVA is now part of the cannon. EVA's wide field of vision would make it a good choice for piloting missions, so I don't really have a problem with it.

Rotaretlibo wrote:
Spoiler:
Wait... the count on reach only includes Spartan-IIs, right? Maybe they're throwing some Spartan-I replacements in... you know, the guys we know virtually nothing about.

Rotaretlibo wrote:
Spoiler:
Meh, it's better than in "The Duel."

Rotaretlibo wrote:
Spoiler:
Not sure about the flagship... perhaps the ship master is just that confident?

As for the UNSC having shields, you got me. My question is why put shields on those things, but not a freaking cockpit!?

Rotaretlibo wrote:
Spoiler:
Perhaps it was stolen tech? Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

Rotaretlibo wrote:You're definitely right. This whole series is going down hill.
They're not even trying at this point.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Halo Legends 'The Package' review. - Page 3 Empty Re: Halo Legends 'The Package' review.

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 am

Gauz wrote:Theory about sheilds: Perhaps they were too close? The sheilds are not skin tight, they are over the ship. Thats one explanation, a rather stupid one I know.

Then the Spartans wouldn't have been able to get that close, per the Battle of Chi Ceti IV.

Felix wrote:To maybe make a theory at the destruction of the entire fleet, I'm taking a guess they have a NOVA or two to blow the shit out of everything.

I'm curious how we slipped planet killers that haven't been invented yet into a fleet that is aware that the UNSC is going to be coming soon.

Felix wrote:But, wouldn't the destruction of an entire fleet be worth more than a "package" anyway?

Guess we'll find out when we find out what the package is.

PiEdude wrote:The NOVA is what you're thinking of.

Actually, I think he was thinking of the HORNET nuclear mines, but even then, Prowlers can sneak around fleets, but I doubt one could fly into the midst of a fleet, lay a bunch of mines, and get out, completely undetected.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Anyhow, Frankie confirmed that the Covenant shields were up

Then how the hell did the Spartans fly so close? Frankie does realize that the Spartans can't just magic through those shields, right?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:and the ONI ship wasn't a prowler.

Which means its probably a larger ship, meaning even less change of it slipping amongst the fleet unnoticed.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:According to Frankie: Artistic license.

Frankie has betrayed us, then.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:We'll have to wait for the second one. I don't have my hopes up.

Maybe they decided to conveniently forget that a Covenant fleet of this size could easily destroy hundreds of UNSC ships without breaking a sweat?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Retcons ahoy!

Guess I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, they gave Spartans shields in Halo Wars. It's really too bad, because the fact that Spartans fought without them for so long was what made them truly badass. But then, that was back when there were only a handful of Spartans that died prior to Reach.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:In case you missed it, EVA armor was featured in GoO.
I think Bungie was thinking along the lines of ODST, Recon, and the Hayubashi.

No, it was not. SPI armor was featured in GoO, and SPI armor was specific to SPARTAN-IIIs.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:I thought that was pretty good.

I appreciated that it wasn't as bad as The Duel, but there was just something about it, like the animation for the mouth movements was just two or three frames, featuring: closed, open, and wide open.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:The Covenant do, apparently. Tie Fighter Effect.

It was quite evident that they did not, whether Frankie likes to say they did or not. The Spartans were able to fly right up against the hulls, to the point that one was crushed against the hulls (not shields, but the hulls themselves). And they didn't even make an attempt to give the Seraphs shields like they should have. In GoO, a Seraph can survive a direct hit from a rocket launcher in atmosphere with only minimal damage. Now a chain gun can destroy them in a couple shots? Hell, I still haven't figured out how the chain gun can fire in zero atmosphere. Seems like it would be pretty hard to have combustion when the entire apparatus is so exposed like that.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Thus giving Halo a worse cliffhanger than "Sir, finishing the fight!"

Nah, Halo 2 was still worse. Razz

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:I always figured that Brutes raided a huge stockpile of them. Just like they got those nukes.

I guess that would make sense if UNSC forces ever had them. I don't think I even saw a UNSC NPC use a piece of equipment, but it seemed like every single Brute above bottom rank carried some kind of equipment.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Not it's not...
HALO EVOLUTIONS!!!

I meant Halo Legends as a whole, though Halo isn't fairing much better.

CivBase wrote:I think we can agree that this idea was shot out the window with The Babysiter, at least as far as Halo Legends goes.

I guess I had just hoped it would be a one time mistake...

CivBase wrote:I was wondering that myself. Perhaps they have an entire fleet on standby, but only the prowler de-cloaked to release the little fighter things. Though why it had to de-cloak at all to do this is beyond me.

I'm more interested to know why it decloaking didn't result in it being utterly destroyed immediately, to be frank.

CivBase wrote:Well, they were wearing Mark VI armor, so.... so.... the armor doesn't fit anywhere. There was no gap between Halo 2 and 3 for this to occur.

Especially since Solomon and Arthur would have died prior to the events of Halo: Combat Evolves...

CivBase wrote:Indeed. I still can't figure out why it de-cloaked in the first place.

Maybe so that we knew it was cloaked? Who knows what 343 Studios is thinking anymore.

CivBase wrote:Other than the flagship, they're all decoys.

I don't know about you, but while a cunning trap is, well, cunning, I think it would be just as cunning if you kill all of your query in space by denying them easy access to the ships. It involves less blowing up your entire fleet to kill a handful of Spartans. Razz

CivBase wrote:EVA armor has made multiple appearances at this point. I think it's safe to assume that EVA is now part of the cannon. EVA's wide field of vision would make it a good choice for piloting missions, so I don't really have a problem with it.

Hmm, going back, I guess GoO does mention it once in passing. I had always read Variant V as being Mark V, but the particular passage occurs prior to Mark V armor, so I guess you're right. But then, one must wonder, why aren't all of the Spartans wearing EVA armor during an EVA operation?

CivBase wrote:Wait... the count on reach only includes Spartan-IIs, right? Maybe they're throwing some Spartan-I replacements in... you know, the guys we know virtually nothing about.

I doubt the Spartan-Is can operate MJOLNIR Armor or jump out of a crashing Pelican a mile up and generally survive.

CivBase wrote:Meh, it's better than in "The Duel."

Well yes, but that's because they have mandibles to move hideously in this one. Razz

CivBase wrote:Not sure about the flagship... perhaps the ship master is just that confident?

I'm wondering why the entire fleet was traveling with shields down in the first place.

CivBase wrote:As for the UNSC having shields, you got me. My question is why put shields on those things, but not a freaking cockpit!?

So the Spartans can jump out of them and defy zero gravity with their intricate little maneuvers, of course.

CivBase wrote:Perhaps it was stolen tech? Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

I suppose that makes sense.

CivBase wrote:They're not even trying at this point.

Oh, they're trying. Trying to milk Halo until it comes up dry, that is.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:33 am

Honestly, I don't consider Haro Regends to be canon at all.

It's just some stupid M$ stunt (of course, in cooperation with the Japs who they should know are really they're only competitors in console gaming, yet the bastards work with them anyway) to milk Halo like the cash cow it's becoming.

Yeah, that was a nice little Haloverse we had once...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:14 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:

Felix wrote:To maybe make a theory at the destruction of the entire fleet, I'm taking a guess they have a NOVA or two to blow the shit out of everything.

I'm curious how we slipped planet killers that haven't been invented yet into a fleet that is aware that the UNSC is going to be coming soon.

Hey, if we have Mark V armor, shielded weapons(Mind you, the "X-wing" bikes are not considered vechicles, they are considered weapons) unshielded Conevant ships and fighters, two dead spartans and wrong sounding Master Chief; I think we can let the NOVA fly under the radar.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:30 am

Felix wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:

Hey, if we have Mark V armor, shielded weapons(Mind you, the "X-wing" bikes are not considered vechicles, they are considered weapons) unshielded Conevant ships and fighters, two dead spartans and wrong sounding Master Chief; I think we can let the NOVA fly under the radar.

They don't. That was Mark IV. And while if EVA is canon is questionable, it was created BEFORE Mark V. The bikes are retarded and shouldn't have shields.

Not really, the only known NOVA was the original prototype that had only just been created when Reach fell.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:57 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Anyhow, Frankie confirmed that the Covenant shields were up

Then how the hell did the Spartans fly so close? Frankie does realize that the Spartans can't just magic through those shields, right?
I really don't know. He hasn't been very helpful.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:According to Frankie: Artistic license.

Frankie has betrayed us, then.
Agreed.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Retcons ahoy!
Guess I shouldn't be surprised. I mean, they gave Spartans shields in Halo Wars. It's really too bad, because the fact that Spartans fought without them for so long was what made them truly badass. But then, that was back when there were only a handful of Spartans that died prior to Reach.
Actually, in that case, they admitted that Spartans didn't have shields at that point, and added them "To improve gameplay".
Like hell it did.

Rotaretilbo wrote: Hell, I still haven't figured out how the chain gun can fire in zero atmosphere. Seems like it would be pretty hard to have combustion when the entire apparatus is so exposed like that.
Hey, Rot? Guns can fire in space. The propellant carries its own reactant, like plastic explosives. It doesn't need air to ignite.
Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Not it's not...
HALO EVOLUTIONS!!!

I meant Halo Legends as a whole, though Halo isn't fairing much better.
Before you jump to conclusions, go read Halo Evolutions. The worst story in there is non-canon, and Tobias actually managed to write a better story than the last time around. Still pretty bad, but the rest are VERY good.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:12 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:I really don't know. He hasn't been very helpful.

It's too bad because Frankie used to be so awesome.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Actually, in that case, they admitted that Spartans didn't have shields at that point, and added them "To improve gameplay".
Like hell it did.

If they wanted to improve gameplay, couldn't they have changed the color of the "shield" bar and removed the shield noises, and called it Biofoam or something?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Hey, Rot? Guns can fire in space. The propellant carries its own reactant, like plastic explosives. It doesn't need air to ignite.

Fair enough.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Before you jump to conclusions, go read Halo Evolutions. The worst story in there is non-canon, and Tobias actually managed to write a better story than the last time around. Still pretty bad, but the rest are VERY good.

Well of course. Nylund wrote one of them. That immediately increases value right there.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Vigil wrote:
Felix wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:

They don't. That was Mark IV. And while if EVA is canon is questionable, it was created BEFORE Mark V. The bikes are retarded and shouldn't have shields.

Not really, the only known NOVA was the original prototype that had only just been created when Reach fell.

Woops. I meant to put Mark IV. I have nothing against EVA. I didn't say the bikes weren't retarded.

And the only known flying bikes in space were where? Or the two extra dead spartans? And the shields were created when(well, before) Reach fell. So, a NOVA wouldn't be too far of a stretch.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:17 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote: Hell, I still haven't figured out how the chain gun can fire in zero atmosphere. Seems like it would be pretty hard to have combustion when the entire apparatus is so exposed like that.
Hey, Rot? Guns can fire in space. The propellant carries its own reactant, like plastic explosives. It doesn't need air to ignite.
But wouldn't the moving metal parts freeze or melt from the heat or lack of it?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:20 pm

Uh... no.
Space isn't THAT extreme.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:22 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Actually, in that case, they admitted that Spartans didn't have shields at that point, and added them "To improve gameplay".
Like hell it did.

If they wanted to improve gameplay, couldn't they have changed the color of the "shield" bar and removed the shield noises, and called it Biofoam or something?
That would require a little more imagination than the troglodites at ES had.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Uh... no.

You can't get more extreme than space...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Between stars the average temperature is -433 farenheit or something, that's pretty extreme if you ask me.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Felix wrote:

Space on a skateboard.....on fire...
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:38 pm

Baconsen wrote:
Felix wrote:

Space on a skateboard.....on fire...

You just blew my mind...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:01 pm

Angatar wrote:Between stars the average temperature is -433 farenheit or something, that's pretty extreme if you ask me.
Except there's no convection or induction to cool stuff down to that level, so things don't freeze automatically.

In addition, gun parts need oil and water to freeze. Guess what has a hard time staying as a liquid in space?
Not to mention that, in Halo 2... YOU WENT INTO A VACUUM AND WERE ABLE TO FIRE SHOTGUNS, BATTLE RIFLES, NEEDLERS, HANDGUNS AND SMGS!
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Yeah, some organisms can survive in space for extended periods of time, like the water bear.

Halo Legends 'The Package' review. - Page 3 Tardigradasm
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:11 pm

And in Call of Duty: World at War... NAZI ZOMBIES TAKE OVER THE WORLD!
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:19 pm

Ringleader wrote:Yeah, some organisms can survive in space for extended periods of time, like the water bear.

Halo Legends 'The Package' review. - Page 3 Tardigradasm

Irrelevant, because nothing can kill the Water Bear (it's name should remain capitalized at all times due to its epicness). Not even death can kill this thing. It can literally revive itself.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:29 pm

LOOK HOW CUTE AND CUDDLY IT IS

Halo Legends 'The Package' review. - Page 3 Water-bear
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:05 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Angatar wrote:Between stars the average temperature is -433 farenheit or something, that's pretty extreme if you ask me.
Except there's no convection or induction to cool stuff down to that level, so things don't freeze automatically.

In addition, gun parts need oil and water to freeze. Guess what has a hard time staying as a liquid in space?
Not to mention that, in Halo 2... YOU WENT INTO A VACUUM AND WERE ABLE TO FIRE SHOTGUNS, BATTLE RIFLES, NEEDLERS, HANDGUNS AND SMGS!

Needlers are of a crystalline structure ammo. They would probably have a better chance of maintaining that structure than the other two.

A sniper rifle is definately gas operated, but Linda has used one in space combat, like Reach.

Also if the guns were to fire in space they would look and sound differently. The muzzle flash indicates a chemical reaction of gunpowder, which causes the projectile to be fired. Unless they have found another way to do a similar chemical reaction in a vaccum, there wouldn't be an muzzle flash. It would also have no sound as there are no air particles in space.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:28 am

1: You went into a vacuum in Halo 2 and heard explosions and plasma pistols firing. Halo has the sounds in space, just like Star Wars and Star Trek.

2: Muzzle flash happens anyway as gunpowder ignites. It's not just the heated particles combusting with air.

I don't like these other shorts, and a lot of other people on HBO don't either, but let's stick to what's REALLY wrong.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:46 am

True, this is just nitpicking about little asthetics that sci-fi frequently uses.

I think this was the best one so far, but even then the ignorance for pre-established canon is staggering.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:51 am

I don't know. The Babysitter only had like a handful of primary issues, and most weren't too serious.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:21 am

The hair was worth a 9001 point detraction, though.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next