Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The fight against the dirty pirates rages

+16
Gold Spartan
Vigil
thane321
Kasrkin Seath
KrAzY
Rasq'uire'laskar
Angatar
BBJynne
PiEdude
KristallNacht
Lord Pheonix
Rotaretilbo
CivBase
Vtrooper
Dud Doodoo
Toaster
20 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

The fight against the dirty pirates rages Empty The fight against the dirty pirates rages

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:12 pm

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2009/02/16/trial-pirate-bay-operators-gets-underway-sweden

As posted on game politics ^

The Pirate Bay face operators (Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm, Peter Sunde and Carl Lundstroem) are beeing tried in sweedish court for profiting off of file sharing. For years, these guys have been making relatively heavy sums of money off of advertisements on their destructive website.

These douch bags have been slipping under the law for far to long. Go and read the wikipedia page on "The Pirate Bay." You will be astonished by their endeavors.

The servers for pirate bay are located in the same office building as the sweedish governments "Anti-Piracy" agency. AT one point, they even tried to purchase a micro-nation called Sealand so that they could operate their criminal activity outside of any lawful boundery.

The guys are also being sued by the Game/Music/Movie industries for millions.

God speed to prosecution.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

The fight against the dirty pirates rages Empty Re: The fight against the dirty pirates rages

Post by Dud Doodoo Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Toaster, you do know that most of this forum would gladly take up arms to defend the pirate bay right?

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

The fight against the dirty pirates rages Empty Re: The fight against the dirty pirates rages

Post by Vtrooper Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:43 pm

not me
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:05 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:Toaster, you do know that most of this forum would gladly take up arms to defend the pirate bay right?

Actually dud, a simple glance at the "Piracy" thread will tell you that the majority of members on these message boards are in full opposition to piracy. Even our great leader, Lord Phoenix, has agreed that it is bad, citing the fact that he has only pirated games that are no longer on the market.

Ask Rot, ask Rasq, ask Krazy, ask Pie, ask Mereel, ask qwerty, ask JB, ask Gold, ask Cheese.

Piracy is harmful towards the industry, and anyone who defends these guys needs to have a reality check. YOU DON'T DESERVE FREE CONTENT BECAUSE A GAME ISN'T WORTH FIFTY DOLLARS. If it's to pricey, or you don't think it's worth it... don't get it, and move on
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:52 pm

I don't care if you don't think I deserve free content, and you telling me it's wrong doesn't make me feel guilty either. As a whole, yes piracy is obviously bad for the industry. The simple fact is however, me pirating games that I WOULD NOT BUY is not going to force companies like EA and Ubisoft out of business. Don't even try the statistic crap, because if you actually knew the system you would know it is nothing short of impossible to track all, even the majority, of the downloads.

I'm tired of hearing about your "World of Goo" crap, because those statistics are either fake or completely wrong, and I am not adding to them.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:The simple fact is however, me pirating games that I WOULD NOT BUY is not going to force companies like EA and Ubisoft out of business.
He makes a good point...
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:23 pm

However, by supporting piracy in that sense, you also encourage those who pirate games they normally would buy, and if you know you can get the game for free, that may deter you from buying it. It's like going to a grocery store when you're full. You don't feel like you would buy the game normally because in the back of your mind, you know you can just pirate it.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Well, I'd never support piracy, but I don't have a huge problem with it.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:52 pm

Their taking down Pirate Bay?

damn...............
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote: I'm tired of hearing about your "World of Goo" crap, because those statistics are either fake or completely wrong, and I am not adding to them.

Try doing a little bit of research before you post stupid things.

“first, and most importantly, how we came up with this number: the game allows players to have their high scores reported to our server (it’s an optional checkbox). we record each score and the IP from which it came. we divided the total number of sales we had from all sources by the total number of unique IPs in our database, and came up with about 0.1. that’s how we came up with 90%.”

The statistic is accurate, if not an understatement, as some may have unchecked the box.

And as Rot says, the existence of piracy clouds your judgment. Were it impossible for you to pirate, I'm not convinced the effort would not translate to spending money on the products that bring you entertainment.

That's the whole point here. This is not just a financial issue, but an ethical issue as well. Whether or not you think a game is "teh greatest," you're still gaining enjoyment from the product without having compensated the creator.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:55 pm

I doubt that article is entirely legit.

Sweden doesn't HAVE any copyright laws that affected the Pirate Bay's operation.

NTM TPB isn't even in Sweden anymore, after Swedish authorities were pressured by American Companies to take action.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:02 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote: I'm tired of hearing about your "World of Goo" crap, because those statistics are either fake or completely wrong, and I am not adding to them.

Try doing a little bit of research before you post stupid things.

“first, and most importantly, how we came up with this number: the game allows players to have their high scores reported to our server (it’s an optional checkbox). we record each score and the IP from which it came. we divided the total number of sales we had from all sources by the total number of unique IPs in our database, and came up with about 0.1. that’s how we came up with 90%.”

The statistic is accurate, if not an understatement, as some may have unchecked the box.

And as Rot says, the existence of piracy clouds your judgment. Were it impossible for you to pirate, I'm not convinced the effort would not translate to spending money on the products that bring you entertainment.

That's the whole point here. This is not just a financial issue, but an ethical issue as well. Whether or not you think a game is "teh greatest," you're still gaining enjoyment from the product without having compensated the creator.

But wait, I thought Atheists had no ethics..
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:06 pm

NT wrote:Sweden doesn't HAVE any copyright laws that affected the Pirate Bay's operation.

Right, but i'm sure they have laws against profiting off of other peoples' work, which is exactly what the pirate bay is all about. Advertisements allow TPB's operators to make money off of piracy.

To be honest, I doubt this trial will amount to much. They've already dropped a few of the charges in an effort to make the case more "simple."

The operators are likely to claim that they only intended for legal torrents to be tracked on their site, and that they had no intention of sheltering illegal downloads. Despite their obvious criminal intention (and history) as well as blatant website name, they'll likely get away with it.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:21 pm

PiEman wrote:But wait, I thought Atheists had no ethics..
They're still holding on to the basic values and rules established by early religions, but they claim that it is just human nature. Rather laughable when considering the extreme downward spiral in morals that our society is facing. Just as science dictates, everything leads to chaos. [/debate]
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm

Well I got rid of the basic value of "kill all who don't believe the same thing as me" that religion programmed into people, so I believe what I have is societys ethics.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:Well I got rid of the basic value of "kill all who don't believe the same thing as me" that religion programmed into people, so I believe what I have is societys ethics.
Touche

However, that effected pretty much everyone around the same time (and more of a result of a lust for power). Really, the only reason it's connected with religion is because that was the most convenient way for people to enact this value. As you can see now, most religions have completely relinquished this idea (even the muslin world is slowing down on it a bit).

Last edited by CivBase on Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:34 pm

Civ wrote:They're still holding on to the basic values and rules established by early religions, but they claim that it is just human nature. Rather laughable when considering the extreme downward spiral in morals that our society is facing. Just as science dictates, everything leads to chaos. [/debate]

Religion did not determine that people should not kill or steal, it simply popularized the theme by implementing fear/reward tactics.

By now, the ideas have been forged into our society, and the use of Religion as a carrier has thus become obsolete.

Our society is not facing a "downward spiral in morals," you're just hearing more about it on the news than you used to. There didn't use to be 24 hour news stations that were desperate to cover even the most irrelevant stories of cat microwaving.

But, ya know, way to perpetuate the argument. I was gonna let it go...
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:38 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:They're still holding on to the basic values and rules established by early religions, but they claim that it is just human nature. Rather laughable when considering the extreme downward spiral in morals that our society is facing. Just as science dictates, everything leads to chaos. [/debate]

Religion did not determine that people should not kill or steal, it simply popularized the theme by implementing fear/reward tactics.

By now, the ideas have been forged into our society, and the use of Religion as a carrier has thus become obsolete.

Our society is not facing a "downward spiral in morals," you're just hearing more about it on the news than you used to. There didn't use to be 24 hour news stations that were desperate to cover even the most irrelevant stories of cat microwaving.

But, ya know, way to perpetuate the argument. I was gonna let it go...
Like I said, "they claim that it is just human nature."

No downward spiral in morals? ROFL
Have you been to a high school lately? (sex, violence, drugs)
What about a middle school? (pretty much the same as the high school, but in slightly smaller amounts)
Hell, they're swear'n at teachers in elementary school already!

How I wished teachers were still allowed to use the paddle...
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:56 pm

how the fuck did you guys manage to turn this into another religion debate?

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:01 pm

Cause Civ can't seem to shut up about it

and yes I point you out civ as you are the one who started it
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:06 pm

Civ wrote:Like I said, "they claim that it is just human nature."

The Romans invented their system of laws, and the twelve tables, long before Jesus supposedly came to be.

I'm saying that religious organizations were not the first to come up with the idea that maybe we shouldn't kill each other. Stop being an idiot. Religion didn't invent moral behavior, it simply encouraged it.

Civ wrote:Have you been to a high school lately? (sex, violence, drugs)

Teenagers have been having sex since the beginning of time. None of this is new.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:00 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:Like I said, "they claim that it is just human nature."

The Romans invented their system of laws, and the twelve tables, long before Jesus supposedly came to be.

I'm saying that religious organizations were not the first to come up with the idea that maybe we shouldn't kill each other. Stop being an idiot. Religion didn't invent moral behavior, it simply encouraged it.
Supposedly? Toaster there is absolutely no debate among any group(historians, Christians, aithiests, ect) that Jesus existed.

Keep in mind toaster that Christianity conquered the barbarians, not the Romans.

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:Have you been to a high school lately? (sex, violence, drugs)

Teenagers have been having sex since the beginning of time. None of this is new.
Toaster is right, this is definitely not new. In fact, we are genetically wired to start having sex as soon as we enter puberty, and we have been forever. However, this has certainly increased lately due to the pressure being put on teens by the media to have sex. It is absolutely unparalleled in history. Back when Christianity was taken more seriously, the pressure was MUCH lower, and thus the amount of teens having sex. From here on it looks like it will only get worse. I don't think violence or drugs will go away anytime soon either.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:20 pm

Christianity was adopted by the Romans though.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:45 pm

And...erm...Jesus didn't write the ten commandments...Moses did...a tad bit before the Roman Empire...I'm surprised no one pointed this out...
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:57 pm

The pirate bay will walk away as they always have before. Do I care? No. I have 3 private trackers I'm a member of.

Piracy isn't that rampant of a problem. By even charging the pirate bay, they're giving pirates a martyr to rally behind.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum