Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits

+12
Lord Pheonix
TNine
Rasq'uire'laskar
Felix
RX
Gauz
PiEdude
Vtrooper
Kasrkin Seath
CivBase
tiny tim
KristallNacht
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits Empty Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits

Post by KristallNacht Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 pm

http://defensetech.org/2010/09/22/army-may-issue-iphones-to-new-recruits/

I'll let you guys form opinions before I bring my Marine viewpoint up
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits Empty Re: Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits

Post by tiny tim Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 pm

As someone who will likely e in basic training this time next year, I think it's a great tool. I think I already know what your viewpoint will be though.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits Empty Re: Army to begin issuing Iphones to Recruits

Post by CivBase Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:50 pm

Are they durable enough? Or do they intend to keep them off the field?

And.... while it might be a good idea to have a device like that, does it have to be the iPhone? They could make their own little gadget that is much more durable, a fraction of the cost, far more effective, and not subject to misuse and/or tampering.

I guess that would destroy their 'appeal to the younger generation' plan... but I just don't think the small increase in recruits would be worth the enormous cost, especially considering who is actually footing the bill (*cough* taxes *cough*)
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:28 pm

I pay taxes for this shit? I know its not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things, but couldn't it be better spent on something else?
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 am

tiny tim wrote:As someone who will likely e in basic training this time next year, I think it's a great tool. I think I already know what your viewpoint will be though.

A great tool, how?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:21 am

KristallNacht wrote:
tiny tim wrote:As someone who will likely e in basic training this time next year, I think it's a great tool. I think I already know what your viewpoint will be though.

A great tool, how?

It would condense all of the manuals and books and various other training implements into one source that modern teenagers are more comfortable with. I've never had a cell phone or PDA or anything, so it wouldn't make as much of a difference to me. But it's still very useful. Also allows for interactive guides to things.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:30 am

tiny tim wrote:
It would condense all of the manuals and books and various other training implements into one source that modern teenagers are more comfortable with. I've never had a cell phone or PDA or anything, so it wouldn't make as much of a difference to me. But it's still very useful. Also allows for interactive guides to things.

It also has a monthly bill, the ability to download angry birds, and the ability to call home (which all soldiers get in recruit training anyway). While those few things are good, all of that is already available online for the most part outside of recruit training, where they really won't be using any of it anyway, but where they still get to keep the government funded smartphone.

And isn't making the soldier more comfortable in training, reduce the ability to prepare them for their ultimate goal of combat and combat support?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:11 am

KristallNacht wrote:
tiny tim wrote:

It also has a monthly bill, the ability to download angry birds, and the ability to call home (which all soldiers get in recruit training anyway). While those few things are good, all of that is already available online for the most part outside of recruit training, where they really won't be using any of it anyway, but where they still get to keep the government funded smartphone.

And isn't making the soldier more comfortable in training, reduce the ability to prepare them for their ultimate goal of combat and combat support?

Did it say in that article that the soldiers would keep the phones after training? And if they are using technology they are more comfortable with, then they will likely learn the material better. And I'm sure there are ways to keep them from being able to download every app they want.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:46 am

isn't the IPhone's telecommunication lines unsecured? i find it a bad idea but should at least be tested to be sure.
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 am

The article specifically says "and use throughout their careers" or the like.

And being 'comfortable' all the time makes you more likely to choke when somethings uncomfortable.

And, on top of that, these iphones are planned to be issued out by the Army, while the Marine Corps doesn't even have enough money to give everyone a camelbak, a proper plate carrier, individual rifles, and ACOG scopes.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 pm

KristallNacht wrote:The article specifically says "and use throughout their careers" or the like.

And being 'comfortable' all the time makes you more likely to choke when somethings uncomfortable.

And, on top of that, these iphones are planned to be issued out by the Army, while the Marine Corps doesn't even have enough money to give everyone a camelbak, a proper plate carrier, individual rifles, and ACOG scopes.

Let's hope they never have to read a manual in the middle of a firefight then...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:01 pm

Fuck yeah Angry Birds for our soldiers!
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm

lol, the Iphones durability is utter shit. how do they expect them to withstand the usual punishment soldiers go through?
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:00 pm

Soldiers don't go through punishment, who has been lying to you?

and comfortability is a general thing. If you're never made uncomfortable, how are you going to be sure you can handle it when you are. They won't ever be reading a manual in combat anyway.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:21 pm

Gauz wrote:Fuck yeah Angry Birds for our soldiers!

Maybe the way to win all wars is to have a competition of Angry Birds
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:30 pm

CivBase wrote:And.... while it might be a good idea to have a device like that, does it have to be the iPhone? They could make their own little gadget that is much more durable, a fraction of the cost, far more effective, and not subject to misuse and/or tampering.
Trust me, Civ. You can have more durable/effective/secure, or you can have "Fraction of the Cost".
This is the United States Military. Haven't you seen their track record?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:34 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
CivBase wrote:And.... while it might be a good idea to have a device like that, does it have to be the iPhone? They could make their own little gadget that is much more durable, a fraction of the cost, far more effective, and not subject to misuse and/or tampering.
Trust me, Civ. You can have more durable/effective/secure, or you can have "Fraction of the Cost".
This is the United States Military. Haven't you seen their track record?
Of course, they are buying them through Apple, so good chance you can get a lower cost. Perhaps not more effective or more secure, but definitely for less.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:51 pm

but on top of that, there isn't any practical benefit to this. It's just another thing the Army is doing to reduce its own self-respect and soften itself.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:24 am

Felix wrote:
Gauz wrote:Fuck yeah Angry Birds for our soldiers!

Maybe the way to win all wars is to have a competition of Angry Birds
I would've loved to see Obama face off against the late Osama in an angry birds tournament. Sadly, this world does not operate like that Sad
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:59 pm

KristallNacht wrote:Soldiers don't go through punishment, who has been lying to you?

and comfortability is a general thing. If you're never made uncomfortable, how are you going to be sure you can handle it when you are. They won't ever be reading a manual in combat anyway.
Punishment was a poor choice of word then. I meant the wear and tear soldiers go through. Like, training being rough and so on. Or does training and usual soldier movements involve sitting all relaxed back in a comfortable chair? If the latter case is true, then the Iphone might make it through a soldiers career withouth getting broken.
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:01 pm

RX wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:Soldiers don't go through punishment, who has been lying to you?

Punishment was a poor choice of word then. I meant the wear and tear soldiers go through. Like, training being rough and so on. Or does training and usual soldier movements involve sitting all relaxed back in a comfortable chair? If the latter case is true, then the Iphone might make it through a soldiers career withouth getting broken.

every single teenage girl breaks phones though and Lord Pheonix knows barely any of them barely do fucking anything physcial.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:
RX wrote:

every single teenage girl breaks phones though and Lord Pheonix knows barely any of them barely do fucking anything physcial.
They just drop it a couple of hundred times >.>
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:05 am

RX wrote:

let's just say there is a reason that Army basic is the easiest in the US
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:12 am

dubs
KristallNacht
KristallNacht

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Well, at least they'll be able to track where they are at all times.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum