Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo: Reach 2.0

+34
Offensive Bias
Cheese
squirrelboy
A_Bearded_Swede
TNine
Death no More
Carcarius
KristallNacht
Zaki90
dragoon9105
Gold Spartan
KrAzY
tiny tim
Felix
Avenged
Rasq'uire'laskar
Ruski
BBJynne
PiEdude
Ascendant Justice
Dud Doodoo
Onyxknight
Angatar
Lord Pheonix
Rotaretilbo
Vtrooper
Vigil
Carlos Spicyweiner
Ukurse
Divine Virus
Gauz
Ringleader
Nocbl2
CivBase
38 posters

Page 30 of 37 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next

Go down

Halo: Reach 2.0 - Page 30 Empty Re: Halo: Reach 2.0

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:And the Spartan III's certainly weren't her Spartans. But remember her reaction to Jorge? She stopped browbeating Carter just to say "Hello, Jorge. It's been a long time."

But half the argument is that she didn't immediately recognize them as not being her Spartans, otherwise, she wouldn't have been so surprised to see that Ackerson had all that stuff in his computer. Hell, if she had seen S-IIIs up close and known they were probably S-IIIs, there would have been no need to kidnap Kelly and go investigate Onyx in the first place during the middle of Earth's darkest hour.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:That explanation is what makes it easier for me to accept how Cortana interfaced with Halo's Control room so fast. If she had prior experience, it would've been a breeze.

It is interesting that Cortana seems to have no knowledge of the ring, the Forerunner, or anything like that until after being put into Installation 04's computer, but I guess I can move on from this.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:She had her suspicions. And from what I saw, she didn't ignore them. She didn't interrogate them because they had no info to give her, most likely, but she did some digging on her lonesome.

I can't imagine that they had no info to give her, since they would be readily acquainted with pretty much the entire S-III program. Halsey didn't even hint at intrigue.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:From what we've seen, the weak point on those Corvettes is probably the roof.
Anyhow, I think the whole idea behind dropping a MAC round on a Corvette is limiting the collateral damage, and the velocity of those SMAC rounds can probably be scaled up and down. So, while the flash from the initial impact upon the shields should have been bigger, and the splash from hitting the water should have been larger, I'm not exactly displeased with the lack of a Hiroshima-style explosion.

We all did the math, back in the day. If you just dropped one a standard MAC round from space to a planet's surface, without any initial velocity, it would still have a devastating effect on the planet.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:That was a guess. And I don't like them either, but it's not going to ruin my enjoyment of the Haloverse a whole lot, when 90% of TFOR is still valid.

Except for the whole Reach part.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Actually, she was blinded by the explosion. Although not having a very camou color probably didn't help.

Seriously. Why did Bungie choose to make their colors unique? Where could they even get weird colored armor in a Haloverse where the armor was all an identical sage color?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:We know they have active camo for stuff as big as the Phantom, and stealth craft even larger (Small enough to be rammed by the Iroquois, but still)

And yet, the Covenant never use these giant stealth ships in combat until the end of the war, and then, only once?

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:And why can't both the towers and the Supercarrier have cloaking properties? The towers were blanketing a large area, which was probably beyond the Carrier's ability. And the Carrier might have been relying on the towers for cloaking after arriving on Reach's surface, after which it makes sense to shut down redundant systems. Or maybe it was using it's own cloaking system (the ground troops weren't invisible after all; their energy signatures were undetectable to satellites) and losing a large portion of the ground force and having a Human Frigate RIGHT BENEATH it prompted the Supercarrier to decloak, guns blazing.

That doesn't answer how the ship got passed sensors. Either you'd have a giant hot spot or a giant dark spot on sensors moving towards Reach. For a military planet that was supposed to be the most defensible before Earth, I just can't buy that a ship of that size could just waltz right in complete unnoticed.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Not sure where you got that. Reach was a military stronghold with a well-established military-industrial complex, and it was rapidly advancing because it was so easy to terraform, but it was a young colony yet. It wasn't anywhere near as populated or urbanized as Earth.

Reach was the crown jewel of the UNSC with an atmosphere almost identical to Earth's. I highly doubt a planet like that would not be a hot spot of urban centers.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:As KrAzY said, the reentry pack was VISIBLE in several cutscenes, with the serial/model number/name clearly legible when Jorge throws Six off the Corvette.

Hmm, I didn't even pay much attention to it, though I'm curious how a tiny little guy like that could be of much use when you fall from space, likely hurtling in an uncontrollable manner, reentering the atmosphere of a planet, likely reaching extreme temperatures. I mean, why use HEV pods at all if Spartans can just mount a little pack and walk away like it was nothing? A shame that Red Team didn't know about these convenient packs when they were coming down to Reach's surface.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:What character did the MC have at the end of Halo: CE? He was just a gruff supersoldier, type 2-A. Cortana? Aside from being Mrs. Exposition, she just told you to go there and do this. Captain Keyes? Stereotypical Dutiful Leader.

Stereotypical in character, but their characters were much better fleshed out. And I don't mind Spartans that are stereotypical gruff supersoldiers. They were practically programmed from a very young age to be that way. They are often referred to as Halsey's wind-up soldiers because of the efficient, almost robotic manner that they perform. Hell, many soldiers actually thought they were robots. That was one of the fascinating things about the Spartans. Their uniformity.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Of course, they were better-established in Halo: CE, but that's what happens when you try and cover five characters over a 7-hour video game. Didn't care much for Carter, because he WAS stereotypical, and Jun was pretty bland. Jorge was a big softie, but I still liked him, and I think he was the best-done character. Emile... well, let's just say that I think I figured out what made him tick, and that is what made his character alright for me.

I liked Jorge best, too, probably because he was one of the only characters who really got any development.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Is "Moodie Female Techie" a stereotype? Where else have we seen it?

It's a sci-fi stereotype. I mean, combining "moody" and "female" itself is rather stereotypical, but there is a substereotype for moody female scientist types. First thing that comes to mind as an example is the lead female in Deep Blue Sea, though that's mainly because I was watching that the other day.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Pretty sure it was a sheet of metal, but that's just what I've gathered from conversation. I don't have the game itself (Yet. I did buy an Xbox for Reach.) but once you're high enough to hit terminal velocity, it doesn't matter if you're jumping from Very Low Orbit or Lunar Orbit.

I would imagine that reentry is quite a different between very low orbit and lunar orbit. And Forerunner metal has shown to be rather resilient. I mean, in Halo 3, every ship available fires on that Dreadnought and doesn't even scratch it.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:44 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Is "Moodie Female Techie" a stereotype? Where else have we seen it?

Hackers, with Angelina Jolie.

and its not a Stereotype. It's an Archtype
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:55 am

But half the argument is that she didn't immediately recognize them as not being her Spartans, otherwise, she wouldn't have been so surprised to see that Ackerson had all that stuff in his computer. Hell, if she had seen S-IIIs up close and known they were probably S-IIIs, there would have been no need to kidnap Kelly and go investigate Onyx in the first place during the middle of Earth's darkest hour.

Oh she knew they were Spartans, and she knew that they came from another project, she wringly assumed that they were a sub-inferior offshoot project from her work such as the JAVELIN project, and it's the reason why she treats them with such scorn, as in her eyes they are a representation of ONI trying to supercede her and copy her work against her will and guidance to make inferior and more mentally dangerous Spartans.

As for Ackerson, she had a lot of suspicions, ever since Mendez left. She noticed her files and records on her augmentations and Spartan II techniques being used for some other motive by ONI. She knew about the Hopeful being moved during the augmentations of the Spartan III's gamma company, as well as all the equipment that was one it. She probed the captain of the ship once he got back only to be stonewalled by restricted access and tip-lippedness. She knew something was up, it's just confirmed it, and she probably went to Onyx for the Forerunner tech, not entirely due to the spartans, as the discoveries of SWORD and CASTLE base had really been a breakthrough for her.

It is interesting that Cortana seems to have no knowledge of the ring, the Forerunner, or anything like that until after being put into Installation 04's computer, but I guess I can move on from this.

Well they didn't know much, they had decipted some of the language and very little else. It helped her, but she didn't know everything at that point.

I can't imagine that they had no info to give her, since they would be readily acquainted with pretty much the entire S-III program. Halsey didn't even hint at intrigue.

She didn't seem to know much in the Journal, as she had made inquires to Colonel Holland, only for him to tell her to be patient and go through the proper channels, and all she got was Jorge's service record which was completely blacked out.

Not going to bother with the MAC, as that not defendable as they been clearly nerfed over the last few years.

READ THE JOURNAL. Everything that happened on Reach in TFOR happened. The Covenant in Halo Reach until about LNOS was an archelogical force. The main force was the one that followed the Iriqious. Remember how badly the Covenant is when two different sections of their forces are doing missions? Cole protocol showed there was a lot of miscommunication between departments and Prophets.

The colours are stupid, but are there purely for easier recognition in game, though I honestly thought it would of been easier just to give them a secondary colour of slightly different modules on their armour ala ODST.

I personally think the corvettes were stealthed and they set up a beachhead, knocking out communications and preparing the area to conceal the rest of their force. Halsey noted that there had been a lot of slipspace anomolys and sensor giltches at the time, which was properly not logged or underestimated.

1. Maria-062 Jumped in low atmosphere in MJONLIR MARK VI with a reentry pack and was fine in the graphic novel.
2. Chief managed to survive a fall like that on a peice of debris from the Forerunner Keyship.

It's not unprecedented.

All explained in the Books Rot, outside of them, Chief comes of as a hollow brick.

Will explain more later.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 am

The way that the Battle of Reach begins, is reported, and takes place is completely changed. In the book, the Covenant warp an entire fleet in, and that is the first indication that the Covenant are there. Immediately, the Pillar of Autumn, which is not only not on the ground, but not even in orbit around Reach, as it was preparing to leave for its own private mission. All but three Spartans are deployed to Reach via Pelican, knowing that their chances of making it to the surface are slim. Yet not a one dons a HALO Reentry Pack. Meanwhile, John and two others board a private ship dock because some ONI ship didn't observe Cole Protocol. This is where Johnson and his squad are picked up. The Pillar of Autumn takes part in the space battle, even destroying a powerful Covenant Supercruiser, but the battle is clearly lost, and without landing, picks up John and his group and leaves.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Banshees in space.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:32 pm

Why use Banshees? They could have put in the Tarasque(sp?) And Gigas fighter-bomber in. Also deploying Phantoms like that in space? Maybe, but whatever happened to the boarding craft of Halo 2? I think that would have been more pratical. Rot's point on the PoA stands though.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:48 pm

Well, Reach really fucked up.

There are SO many plot holes, and they're obvious too. When you first play a game or watch a movie, if there are no, few, or several WELL-DISGUISED plotholes, no one cares. But when something glaringly obvious is done wrong...

It has a 'negative effect'.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:16 pm

With respect, Canon wise Reach was a WTF until i did some checking

also, don't diss Kat Rot, shes the community favoret because she danced so much at PAX, to quote myself from youtube (Awful) "Spartans never Die, There just Dancing in Action"

also, why did TotS force have 2 Supporting ships, and why weren't there Crusiers in Researve for counter fire? and as Ruski said, WHY WAS THE SARATOGA SITTING ON ITS ASS WHEN THE CARRIER SHOWED UP!?!!?!?!!?!?

also, Shouldn't the crew of the Super Carrier been smart enougth to say "A Corvetts under attack, think the Heretics will try something?"
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:35 pm

By the last part, do you mean boobytrapping the Corvette? I was under the impression that the Corvette was being jammed and you took out it's comm systems when you first entered the ship.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:40 pm

Angatar wrote:By the last part, do you mean boobytrapping the Corvette? I was under the impression that the Corvette was being jammed and you took out it's comm systems when you first entered the ship.

Yes, they jammed the communications. That's why they had such a short time frame before the carrier became concerned and send a a fighter squad (or itself) to invastigate.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:19 pm

Felix wrote:
Angatar wrote:By the last part, do you mean boobytrapping the Corvette? I was under the impression that the Corvette was being jammed and you took out it's comm systems when you first entered the ship.

Yes, they jammed the communications. That's why they had such a short time frame before the carrier became concerned and send a a fighter squad (or itself) to invastigate.
And when they saw the Savannah go boom, they probably got the message.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:19 am

Nocbl2 wrote:
Felix wrote:

Possibly, if they actually saw the Savannah get destroyed, thought the threat was dealt with and didn't need further help.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:03 am

Nocbl2 wrote:
Felix wrote:

Not true, as you killed the communications crew as you came in, as well as anybody heading in that direction.

The supercarrier would have vapourised the corvette if it had gotten the message.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:44 pm

So the supercarrier received no hails from the corvette, despite being in complete visible range of the entire scuffle. If that didn't tip them off, I'm not sure what would have, I mean it probably had some advanced telescopes and what-not that would have allowed them to see the sabres physically landing on the corvette, and even to peer inside the uncanonically exposed observation deck full of dead elites.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:23 pm

Ringleader wrote:So the supercarrier received no hails from the corvette, despite being in complete visible range of the entire scuffle. If that didn't tip them off, I'm not sure what would have, I mean it probably had some advanced telescopes and what-not that would have allowed them to see the sabres physically landing on the corvette, and even to peer inside the uncanonically exposed observation deck full of dead elites.

I think since it was just one UNSC ship, they might have thought they could handle it (which they did) and assumed the rest were wiped out by the crew.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Felix wrote:
Ringleader wrote:So the supercarrier received no hails from the corvette, despite being in complete visible range of the entire scuffle. If that didn't tip them off, I'm not sure what would have, I mean it probably had some advanced telescopes and what-not that would have allowed them to see the sabres physically landing on the corvette, and even to peer inside the uncanonically exposed observation deck full of dead elites.

I think since it was just one UNSC ship, they might have thought they could handle it (which they did) and assumed the rest were wiped out by the crew.

everyone was wiped out except you and jorge, my marines never live till the end unless i go out of the way to keep them alive and then they dissapear once the cutscene starts anyway. So basically what would have happened was "oh shit were under attack..... oh nevermind guys we got them all.. wait why is the ship on a refueling course..... WTF! *BOOM*"
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:30 pm

When Blue Team suddenly takes control of the Bloodied Spirit in GoO, they kill everyone in the ship without anyone on it alerting any nearby ships, yet the ships nearby still question what is going on and pursue them.

So in Halo: Reach, when you attack the ship, jam the Communications, and don't kill everyone onboard, and set the course to the Assault Carrier, I think they would be very particular in not letting you approach before inspection. Especially since Humans have boarded and comms are down.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:54 pm

So what would you suggest, blow up the ship and let the burnt out husk ram you? I dont think thats likely considering a supercarrier full of bloodthirst elites would easily handle anything that could be aboard.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:55 pm

Ruski wrote:When Blue Team suddenly takes control of the Bloodied Spirit in GoO, they kill everyone in the ship without anyone on it alerting any nearby ships, yet the ships nearby still question what is going on and pursue them.

So in Halo: Reach, when you attack the ship, jam the Communications, and don't kill everyone onboard, and set the course to the Assault Carrier, I think they would be very particular in not letting you approach before inspection. Especially since Humans have boarded and comms are down.
That was against Brutes, and it kind of shows that they learn from their mistakes, somewhat. They might not be willing to modify the machinery because it came from their Gods, but the fighters themselves are willing to adapt their tactics.

Now, if it happened afterward, then it would be an inconsistency.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:56 pm

a little off topic here, but looks like the Halo Wars site is dead now, anyone else want to take a look?
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:49 am

dragoon9105 wrote:
Felix wrote:

everyone was wiped out except you and jorge, my marines never live till the end unless i go out of the way to keep them alive and then they dissapear once the cutscene starts anyway. So basically what would have happened was "oh shit were under attack..... oh nevermind guys we got them all.. wait why is the ship on a refueling course..... WTF! *BOOM*"

You never see the sabres after the Savanah is destroyed, so I assume they either bug out or are destroyed. I think the Supercarrier thought they had dealt with the humans and were going to resupply after the engagement.

Not to mention the fact that not long after this, an even smaller team managed to board and capture an entire Supercarrier
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:15 am

Vtrooper wrote:a little off topic here, but looks like the Halo Wars site is dead now, anyone else want to take a look?

Can't, still banned from it.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

Vtrooper wrote:a little off topic here, but looks like the Halo Wars site is dead now, anyone else want to take a look?
Doesn't look dead to me. Other then the fact that n00bs rule, mods are gone, etc. Razz
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Ruski wrote:mods are gone, etc. Razz

o rly?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:21 pm

KristallNacht wrote:

o rly?

Yeah. The mods that had been appointed to the forum showed up for their first three days then......POOF!
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:46 pm

Ruski wrote:
KristallNacht wrote:

o rly?

Yeah. The mods that had been appointed to the forum showed up for their first three days then......POOF!
I looked at it a while back, its dead alright, I mean what else do they have to talk about?
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 37 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 33 ... 37  Next