Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Half Life series vs. Halo series

+18
Ukurse
Angatar
LH Justin
czar
Felix
Gauz
TNine
PiEdude
KrAzY
Nocbl2
Toaster
Rasq'uire'laskar
MrX
Ziggy
Divine Virus
Rotaretilbo
BBJynne
Zaki90
22 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Half Life series vs. Halo series

Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_lcap28%Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 9 ]
Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_lcap47%Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_rcap 47% 
[ 15 ]
Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_lcap0%Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_lcap25%Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Vote_rcap 25% 
[ 8 ]

Total Votes : 32

Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Empty Re: Half Life series vs. Halo series

Post by Zaki90 Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:13 pm

KrAzY wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:OH! I KNOW!

How about that one time where you lured the Hulk into the electrical transformer in the first game? Or when you blew another one up with an artillery strike?

neither of those are physics puzzles

and I was mainly talking about the 2nd game for physics.

Half-Life 2 is a physics engine... meaning that things behave realistically.... but guess what? almost all next gen games are being built with physics engines that work as well if not better than Source does... when people called Half Life 2 a "physics game" when it was released, that was because physics engines hadn't become real big yet... not because you had to do physics puzzles ,aside from a pully and a bunch of see-saws...

Yes most of them have physics. But the way that Half Life 2 uses them is an innovation.

It is because of Half Life 2's physics engine, most games are rushing to get them. Do you remember playing any game with a physics puzzle other than Half Life 2 (includes ep 1 and 2)

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Half Life series vs. Halo series - Page 3 Empty Re: Half Life series vs. Halo series

Post by Rotaretilbo Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:14 pm

Better yet, do you remember any game using a realistic physics engine before Half-Life? Another thing I really though was innovative on Half-Life's part was the complete lack of cut scenes. The game still told an amazing, deep story, but without ever taking control away from the player.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:39 am

Some people say that Assassin's Creed had no cutscenes. Assassin's Creed did have cut scenes when you assassinate the important dude.

Also, the characters each had their own sense of personality. Not many games have all this.

Half Life 2 combined about every good game and then added their amazing ideas that they had built up over the years after Half Life 1.

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:49 am

czar wrote:
sargentbilco wrote:
KrAzY wrote:Rot

exlain in half life 2 any physics puzzle that isn't either a see saw, or a pully?

i've played through half life 2, episode 1, and episode 2. at least 4 times each.... and have never seen any puzzles besides those

episode 2 with the wires just before the hunter attack
OMFG THE HUNTER ATTACK WAS MY FAVORITE PART. Besides the end. Even though it was D'x

When your in the basement and that one Hunter busts through the door, that was so intense.

i was shitting my self doing that puzzle because i knew something bad was going to happen
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:50 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Better yet, do you remember any game using a realistic physics engine before Half-Life? Another thing I really though was innovative on Half-Life's part was the complete lack of cut scenes. The game still told an amazing, deep story, but without ever taking control away from the player.
Lets see here... I'd rather take a one-minute cutscene (Beginning of Halo) over a ten minute introduction, where you're confined to a narrow tram car.

Sure, not every walkthrough was like that, but cutscenes aren't necessarily bad because they take control away from the player.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:28 pm

Well there are small things that really make the difference. The way that the characters track your location; the way their eyes follow you. The advanced (even when compared to more recent games) facial structure in Half-Life 2 allows for the characters to really show emotion.

There's also little moments that Valve throws in. In one "scene", I was was wondering around Eli's work-space, and I came to this picture of him, Alyx, and his wife. Just as I started looking at it, Eli turned to me and said something about when it was taken or something. It really felt like he was talking to me.

I think you get a lot more connected to the Characters that way. The first time I played any of the half-life games was after episode 2 came out. I played all of them in something like a 2 week marathon all in a row, and by the time I got to that part in Episode 1 when the Stalker falls on-top of Alyx on the train... I was flipping out trying to get it off of her, and it took my what felt like a full minute of wrestling with the gravity gun to get it off of her.

Afterwards, I really just felt AWFUL. I've never felt that connection with a character in a game before. I think the way that the Half life games never take you out of the game really adds to that.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Go stare at a marine in Halo 3. They talk to you, but I never felt a connection for them.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:01 pm

I shot the marines to hear them yell at me.

Then I executed them.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:26 am

Uhh, Very Quick Summary.

Halo 1 was a really bad campaign.
Halo 2 was good because it had a bare-able singleplayer, with a good story, plus a mutiplayer
Halo 3 is good, but it makes a lot more controversy and publicity than it is worth. It did things well.

Half Life 1 was amazing for its time, but a bit dull nowadays. And the UGC is epic.
Half Life 2 just as awesome, and with the intro of the new Sourse Engine makes it better, and allows for even better UGC.
Half Life Deathmatch I haven't played, but I was told it was Okay.

I was say Half Life is better. But I understand it is just my opinion, and I can understand why someone would think otherwise.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:38 am

Ukurse wrote:Halo 1 was a really bad campaign.

I assume that you mixed up the words 'good' and 'bad' in a drunken stupor. If this is not so, prepare yourself for excommunication.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:14 am

Ukurse wrote:Uhh, Very Quick Summary.

Halo 1 was a really bad campaign.
Halo 2 was good because it had a bare-able singleplayer, with a good story, plus a mutiplayer
Halo 3 is good, but it makes a lot more controversy and publicity than it is worth. It did things well.
Prepare to be excommunicated if your serious.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:37 am

Umm, okay,
Bye.

Jk
I just think that the basic gameplay of Halo 1 boring and repetative, the only enjoyable parts are the vehicles.
Halo 2 and 3 were Good in the sense that they were worth buying for 100 NZL dollars (Normal Pirce for a game), I guess Halo 1 is worth buying now that it costs jack shit. And Halo 2/3 had a lot more time that could be spent playing the game and actually enjoying it.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:53 am

Wow. You really are retarded, aren't you?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:54 pm

I've spent more time on Halo:ce than halo2 and 3 together

we must have differnt ideas of fun i suppose

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Ukurse wrote:Halo 1 was a really bad campaign.

I assume that you mixed up the words 'good' and 'bad' in a drunken stupor. If this is not so, prepare yourself for excommunication.
Don't forget, Ukurse is "Special".

I sometimes think he's actually 'light' from the HWF. Remember that guy?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Why am I "Special"?

And I just think Halo 1 was quite lame and really overrated, even for its time. The series only got interesting at after that.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:43 pm

Ukurse wrote:Why am I "Special"?

And I just think Halo 1 was quite lame and really overrated, even for its time. The series only got interesting at after that.

What are you smoking?

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:20 pm

Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.

Drinking?

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:25 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.

Drinking?
Nope.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:40 pm

Well your opinion is wrong, so there.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:56 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Well your opinion is wrong, so there.
Oh, your very persuasive.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:24 pm

Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.

Drinking?
Nope.

Swallowing?

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:25 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.

Drinking?
Nope.

Swallowing?
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
Ukurse wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

What are you smoking?
Nothing.

Drinking?
Nope.

Swallowing?

Yes?

Zaki90
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum