Windows 7

Go down

Windows 7 Empty Windows 7

Post by Toaster on Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:58 pm

Widows 7 isn't out yet, but Microsoft put the latest release candidate on the internets some time ago. I finally decided to try it out. The release candidate is essentially good until march 1st of 2010, at which point it will begin shutting down every 2 hours before eventually ceasing to operate entirely.

Anyways, here's the before/after comparison. Aside from performance improvements, the most prominent update that Windows 7 brings to the table is the new super-amazing-taskbar.

At first, I didn't think I'd like it. I'd seen demos of it, and it seemed a little too much like the mac task bar. However, after getting over the initial shock, I've come to really like it. It's smooth... and crisp.... and elegant. It just feels nice. If, for example, you have your steam games list, AND your steam friends list open at the same time, it will group them both under one icon on your taskbar. When you mouse over that icon, you can preview the two open windows, and choose which one to interact with from there. [EXAMPLE]

The only problem with this is that it makes a previously one step process into a two step process, and I suppose that has the potential of slowing you down a bit, but it feels nice enough to get away with that, and if it's REALLY a problem, you can turn off the grouping... but it looks pretty ugly if you do that.

They also got rid of the Vista sidebar, so now you can place gadgets anywhere on the desktop... if you use gadgets.

Aside from that, and a few low key additions, Windows 7 is pretty much a really well performing Vista. I'd purchase it right now, but unfortunately that nice '58% Off' deal on the windows 7 upgrade has expired, and it now costs around $120. I'm hoping that price will drop at some point in the next 6-ish months, 'cause I'm REALLY liking Windows 7.

Windows 7 Release candidate can be found here.... but probably not for much longer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the smallest desktop icon size for windows 7 is a little bit bigger than the smallest desktop icon size setting in Vista... which is kinda silly... but once you get used to it, it's fine.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by KristallNacht on Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:35 pm

I would if I wasn't afraid my computer would explode.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Barbbachello on Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:50 am

I found the RC to be more buggy than the beta for me. Hopefully it was just a thing
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Age : 26
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Toaster on Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah, I've actually been having a lot of problems with my microphone. Even at MAXIMUM BOOST it sounds VERY quiet. It seems to be a driver issue... I think.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Cheese on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:39 am

I've always had that problem with all microphones.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Age : 29
Location : Wales
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Barbbachello on Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:35 am

Yeah i had a problem with my mic, but i have to use a sound card cause i cant be bothered figuring out why my onboard doesnt work. So im guessing it was a driver issue to
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Age : 26
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Dud Doodoo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:06 am

I haven't found a problem with it.

I love 7. It's pretty as fuck and much faster, I don't know what else I could ask for.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 am

did you install it on a vista-made computer or an xp-made computer?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Dud Doodoo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:25 am

Vista made.

Either way, you can run it in XP compatibility mode and all is fine. (also solves 64 bit issues)

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by noir on Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:36 am

I shall stay faithfull to XP 'till the day it dies. Who needs fancy-ass graphics? If i wanted that i'd get a mac.
noir
noir
Minion

Female Number of posts : 361
Age : 30
Location : London
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Barbbachello on Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 am

XP is dead, your not supposed to be able to buy it and there is no more support for it. Unless you mean no more compatibility
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Age : 26
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by czar on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:07 am

noir wrote:Who needs fancy-ass graphics? If i wanted that i'd get a mac.
LOL WUT ? You better be joking.

WTF?
czar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Age : 25
Location : ohio
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Dud Doodoo on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:54 am

noir wrote:I shall stay faithfull to XP 'till the day it dies. Who needs fancy-ass graphics? If i wanted that i'd get a mac.
Graphics add to the overall appeal of the operating system, just like a game.

The thing I find funny though is that you think macs look good?! Joke?

Oh and you should also notice that I said...
Dud Doodoo wrote:I haven't found a problem with it.

I love 7. It's pretty as fuck and much faster, I don't know what else I could ask for.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Age : 25
Location : Okinawa, Japan
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 am

Dud Doodoo wrote:]Graphics add to the overall appeal of the operating system, just like a game.

thats not called graphics though.

thats a UI

lol


he was saying it was a joke that Macs coudl produce nice graphics, since in general they have shitty GPUs ntm a lack of games that can actually be played.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Spartan15 on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:12 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Widows 7 isn't out yet, but Microsoft put the latest release candidate on the internets some time ago. I finally decided to try it out. The release candidate is essentially good until march 1st of 2010, at which point it will begin shutting down every 2 hours before eventually ceasing to operate entirely.

Anyways, here's the before/after comparison. Aside from performance improvements, the most prominent update that Windows 7 brings to the table is the new super-amazing-taskbar.

At first, I didn't think I'd like it. I'd seen demos of it, and it seemed a little too much like the mac task bar. However, after getting over the initial shock, I've come to really like it. It's smooth... and crisp.... and elegant. It just feels nice. If, for example, you have your steam games list, AND your steam friends list open at the same time, it will group them both under one icon on your taskbar. When you mouse over that icon, you can preview the two open windows, and choose which one to interact with from there. [EXAMPLE]

The only problem with this is that it makes a previously one step process into a two step process, and I suppose that has the potential of slowing you down a bit, but it feels nice enough to get away with that, and if it's REALLY a problem, you can turn off the grouping... but it looks pretty ugly if you do that.

They also got rid of the Vista sidebar, so now you can place gadgets anywhere on the desktop... if you use gadgets.

Aside from that, and a few low key additions, Windows 7 is pretty much a really well performing Vista. I'd purchase it right now, but unfortunately that nice '58% Off' deal on the windows 7 upgrade has expired, and it now costs around $120. I'm hoping that price will drop at some point in the next 6-ish months, 'cause I'm REALLY liking Windows 7.

Windows 7 Release candidate can be found here.... but probably not for much longer.

EDIT: Oh yeah, the smallest desktop icon size for windows 7 is a little bit bigger than the smallest desktop icon size setting in Vista... which is kinda silly... but once you get used to it, it's fine.
There is nothing wrong with the latest installment of windows. Do they really need to keep trying to upgrade it?
Spartan15
Spartan15
Minion

Male Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2009-01-12

http://www.halowars.com

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by LH Justin on Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:22 pm

I'm downloading Windows 7 now, it looks good and I can't wait to use it.
LH Justin
LH Justin
Crimson Annoyance

Male Number of posts : 700
Age : 24
Location : United States
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Barbbachello on Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:53 am

you wont be disapointed
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Age : 26
Location : Australia
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by noir on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:01 am

There is nothing wrong with the latest installment of windows. Do they really need to keep trying to upgrade it?

Capitalism ect.

Also guys, once you grow up a bit and games get less important, you'll want a 'smoother' OS, which does what you damn want and dosn't bitch back, believe me.
noir
noir
Minion

Female Number of posts : 361
Age : 30
Location : London
Registration date : 2009-06-28

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Toaster on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:34 am

And on top of that, Windows 7 should run games more smoothly do to it being less of a resource hog than Vista.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Windows 7 Empty Re: Windows 7

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum