Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xbox Motion Sensors

+5
Zaki90
Toaster
Gauz
Yam Head
JB
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Xbox Motion Sensors Empty Xbox Motion Sensors

Post by JB Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:19 pm

As you may or may not know Microsoft's "Project Natal" is the new project that it's been trying to push for a couple of months now, and announced that it's going to be a top priority. First really announced to the public at 2009's E3 confrence. I think it might be worth while, but who knows?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31050924/?GT1=43001

'Project Natal' will track player's full body movement, and shift of vocal emotion
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Xbox Motion Sensors Empty Re: Xbox Motion Sensors

Post by Yam Head Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:41 pm

I hate the whole idea...
Yam Head
Yam Head
Minion

Male Number of posts : 730
Registration date : 2009-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:43 pm

I love it.

This is creativity at its prime, the ammounts of oppurtunity this has to offer is about endless.

The 'Milo' AI thing was a complete breakthrough IMO, and has serious potential. I just really hope the people who will be using this technology will not hinder what it can truly do...
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Tired of fucking peripherals. People who yearn so hard to innovate controls simply lack the creative ability to innovate on game design.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:03 pm

It isn't the controller they want to change recon...
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:27 pm

Microsoft is just jealous.

The Xbox 360 is fine! Project Natal can't do any real hardcore gaming. How do you run!

The Wii controller was meant for running in mind. (Zelda)

Though the vocal emotion is good. I like that, but how will it be used. Traditional games will not be compatible.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:33 pm

Maybe the Xbox's ability to update will allow it to be compatible with new equipment, although running would indeed be a problem I would think. But I think that you would have to get an upgraded game (which I wouldn't find useful). So long as it isn't a complete risk upon ruining console gaming and they also allow traditional gaming styles I'm okay with it.
JB
JB
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:58 pm

x Gauz x wrote:It isn't the controller they want to change recon...

They want to change the way in which we control games because they lack the ability to make games within the already existing realm of interaction BETTER...

I never said they were equipping the camera with a flamethrower to burn up our old 360 Gamepads.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:06 pm

Project NATAL is not going to try to re-invent the controller, or try to replace it.

Think of it sort of like Guitar Hero, it comes with that guitar controller.

This is merely an attempt to open a new world of creativity to gamers.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:07 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
x Gauz x wrote:It isn't the controller they want to change recon...

They want to change the way in which we control games because they lack the ability to make games within the already existing realm of interaction BETTER...

I never said they were equipping the camera with a flamethrower to burn up our old 360 Gamepads.

everyone wants to be in the game

i know when i was a kid i dreamed(literally) of a mind hooked up to me and playing a game in a created dream world
this is a step in that direction
although im not sure how i would feel about something being hooked up to my head now
<_<
>_>

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:16 pm

Kslidz wrote:everyone wants to be in the game

Until virtual reality is a reality... no, I really DON'T want to.

Gauz wrote: Project NATAL is not going to try to re-invent the controller, or try to replace it.

Think of it sort of like Guitar Hero, it comes with that guitar controller.

Have you not heard my feelings on guitar hero?

Gauz wrote:This is merely an attempt to open a new world of creativity to gamers.

Really? Because, from what they showed, it seemed as if they were just interested in bland, 'family gaming.'
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 pm

JB wrote:As you may or may not know Microsoft's "Project Natal" is the new project that it's been trying to push for a couple of months now, and announced that it's going to be a top priority. First really announced to the public at 2009's E3 confrence. I think it might be worth while, but who knows?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31050924/?GT1=43001

'Project Natal' will track player's full body movement, and shift of vocal emotion
I'm disappointed in the fact that you people cannot read.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:25 pm

well recon what you want someone to just come out with virtual reality

you want someone to just make a huge project taking ten years but no source of income to make virtual reality

what im saying is at this point VR is out of reach so what we do is make stuff that is increasingly better until it gets to that point

although the wii sucks if they hadnt done motion controls niether sony or microsoft would get off their lazy assess and start researching

so recon quit complaining about it
you may not like it
but it is a step forward so it is good although it is not something you would put money in

just remember
that although graphics didnt become true 3d until N64 and PS1 and SEGA without games like starfox that werent 3d but trying we wouldnt have gotten 3d

all it may be to you is a stepping stone but it is a stepping stone, it isnt all bad

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:43 pm

Angatar wrote:I'm disappointed in the fact that you people cannot read.

I'm disappointed in the fact that you people cannot elaborate?

Kslidz wrote:well recon what you want someone to just come out with virtual reality

No. But if and when somebody DOES make it, and takes decades to produce an open game world within it, I may be somewhat inclined to let go of my mouse and keyboard. Until that happens (if it does) I'm good with everything the way it is.

How is motion sensing at all related to reading your thoughts, and feeding the video straight through your optical networks?
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:45 pm

Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:47 pm

Oh yes. I WAS wondering when somebody was going to mention to him that there was already a thread about this.

Still, I'm happy to argue about my cynical feelings towards just about everything in any thread.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:00 pm

ReconToaster wrote:
Angatar wrote:I'm disappointed in the fact that you people cannot read.

I'm disappointed in the fact that you people cannot elaborate?

Kslidz wrote:well recon what you want someone to just come out with virtual reality

No. But if and when somebody DOES make it, and takes decades to produce an open game world within it, I may be somewhat inclined to let go of my mouse and keyboard. Until that happens (if it does) I'm good with everything the way it is.

How is motion sensing at all related to reading your thoughts, and feeding the video straight through your optical networks?

you idiot you can not take a apart an arguement without looking at the rest of it i elaborated

you cannot afford to embark on a project like that without money and natal is a stepping stone to thought reading

because NAtal leanrs to translate real world objects into a virtual reality
every control scheme is meant ot do that and we get closer and closer to thought reading by translating different things into the virtual world and as we learn that we can implement those things into a larger project
just like face recognition voice recognition and full body capturing comes together to create natal
natal is a brain that could be implemented into a larger plan for bigger and better things

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:01 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Oh yes. I WAS wondering when somebody was going to mention to him that there was already a thread about this.

Still, I'm happy to argue about my cynical feelings towards just about everything in any thread.

who are you talking to?

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:09 pm

Kslidz wrote:you idiot you can not take a apart an arguement without looking at the rest of it i elaborated

Damn... I'm an idiot...

Kslidz wrote:you cannot afford to embark on a project like that without money

You can if you live in the StarTrek Universe. If game companies need so much money to do these sorts of things, why are they wasting money on risky projects when they could be making billions from quality software on the current level of interaction?

Kslidz wrote:natal is a stepping stone to thought reading

no it's not. The technology is not nearly the same. Motion sensing is nothing like the process of re-interpreting and translating ones' thoughts.

Kslidz wrote:because NAtal leanrs to translate real world objects into a virtual reality

Which is nothing like reading your mind. Thoughts are not physical objects. They are data streams.

Kslidz wrote:who are you talking to?

The person who posted before me...
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:32 pm

you are impossible

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:13 am

ReconToaster wrote:
Kslidz wrote:you idiot you can not take a apart an arguement without looking at the rest of it i elaborated

Damn... I'm an idiot...
That's one of the first times you've ever admitted defeat.

Kslidz wrote:you cannot afford to embark on a project like that without money

You can if you live in the StarTrek Universe. If game companies need so much money to do these sorts of things, why are they wasting money on risky projects when they could be making billions from quality software on the current level of interaction?

Microsoft has control over the hardcore and casual console fanbase, and so it aims to not just tap into but dominate the other markets as well. Natal shit all over the wii and killed Sony's attempt at augmented reality before it was born with a single, well aimed punch. I would say the money they could be making greatly increased with Natal.

Kslidz wrote:natal is a stepping stone to thought reading

no it's not. The technology is not nearly the same. Motion sensing is nothing like the process of re-interpreting and translating ones' Neural impulses.

This is true.

Kslidz wrote:because NAtal leanrs to translate real world objects into a virtual reality

Which is nothing like reading your mind. Thoughts are not physical objects. They are data streams.

No, they are electrochemical messages that travel from one neuron to the next. I would not call it a data stream.
Kslidz wrote:who are you talking to?

The person who posted before me...

If you don't recognize the potential toaster, at least acknowledge that the technology behind Natal will allow just about anyone to do full character motion capture, which was previously only possible with TONS of equipment and thousands of dollars. How's that for helping the industry?

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 am

Yeah you used to have to have those suits with the balls everywher now they can cut down on that

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:52 am

who cares?

Even if it was brought up once already people bring up old arguments all the time. Why do you choose this one to blugeon?
JB
JB
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:34 am

When it comes to the matter of basically inserting ones self into a game, you guys do realize they already have implants that translate digital signal into sound and sight(still in infancy for sight)?

They are also mapping brain waves, more or less figuring out what signals make the body do what, and what signals are recognized as pain, touch, etc.

I think Natal is a good step in the right direction, however, its not really for most gamers. For some reason I can see possible military applications in the future however.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:37 am

Yeah, they've had this stuff in the making for a long time, but this is probably the first time it may actually be used in gaming. I'd just like to see where they go with it.
JB
JB
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next