Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cross-fics?

+7
Toaster
Lord Pheonix
XNate02
PiEdude
BBJynne
Rasq'uire'laskar
Kasrkin Seath
11 posters

Go down

I support...

Cross-fics? Vote_lcap6%Cross-fics? Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
Cross-fics? Vote_lcap82%Cross-fics? Vote_rcap 82% 
[ 14 ]
Cross-fics? Vote_lcap0%Cross-fics? Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Cross-fics? Vote_lcap12%Cross-fics? Vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 17

Cross-fics? Empty Cross-fics?

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:48 pm

A cross-fic is any piece of fiction that combines two or more settings(we call them universes) in some way during hte course of the story. It could be something as simple as a character making an appearance or some object making one; although the latter could simply be considered a cameo if its nothing to important.

Cross-fics can be good or bad, but tend to turn out ugly as the setting are not blended together properly or maybe they just dont fit together. I.E., something like... say... Inuasha or Pokemon should never, ever, be combined with a more serious or 'real' universe, such as Halo, unless its for a comedic purpose or to make fun of one or both.. There are of course exceptions, such as when canon would allow them to merge in some way. The best examples I have of this are D&D/Halo and WH:40K/Halo atm.

Let me explain: Halo and D&D dont exactly sound like they should go together. However, they easily could without destroying the storyline or canon of either. Because the D&D universe incorporates a sort of multi-dimnesional setting: the Prime Materium where most things take place and the other 'dimensions' called planes.

The Prime materium has both Magic and actuall matter, where as some planes have varying amounts of each or maby just one type of matter. The Halo-verse could easily fit in as a magicless plane of matter. Of course, this would mean that the Halo-Verse would be responsible for the method of cross-planar transportation, since all methods outside of it operate through magic which is non-existant in it.

For WH40K, its even easier. Since WH:40K is a future version of our universe, anything in Halo that doesn't null the set Wh:40K timeline could easily be merged in with it.

Basically, what is your stance, and what are your thoughts on cross-fics? I support the ones that dont destroy canon of each universe and actually make some sense.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Cross-fics? Empty Re: Cross-fics?

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:55 pm

Quite honestly, I've read very few crossovers that I like.

There are a few universes that fit together. The "dirty space" aesthetics of the Alien/Predator universe meshes very well with Halo. Star Wars is so expansive, so spotty, and so screwed up, that anything that's not explicitly magical can go in.

However, certain universes do NOT belong together. Take, for example, HaloXEragon. Yes, I have seen one of those, right next to a HaloXNaruto...
And even if the universes don't really go together, I see a lot of MCXSamus.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:00 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Take, for example, HaloXEragon. Yes, I have seen one of those

O_o

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:52 pm

AvC, FTW!

Acronyms, FTW!
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573

Back to top Go down

Post by XNate02 Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:10 pm

BBJynne wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Take, for example, HaloXEragon. Yes, I have seen one of those

O_o
XNate02
XNate02
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2345
Registration date : 2008-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Alien and Predator go together so well that they are considered in the same universe.

They have two movies together, more than a few video games, comic books, and even an appearance in Predator2,
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:58 pm

Rasq wrote:And even if the universes don't really go together, I see a lot of MCXSamus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Even if some cross-fics make sense. They turn out gay.

I remember making the Halostarwarcraft cross-fic. Funniest piece of shit I ever made.

http://www.halowars.com/forums/thread/199199.aspx

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:48 pm

What about HaloXMarathon?
I bet nobody has thought of that!
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:04 pm

TF2XHL2?
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:09 pm

CivBase wrote:What about HaloXMarathon?

some of us consider them the same universe

a MJOLNIR cyborg... who has been frozen in a cryotube for 200 years... with a wiped memory because of an AI with him when he was frozen.... when Halo 3 ends 200 years before marathon... while the MC is wearing MJOLNIR armor... with cortana 10 feet from him.... and then they float twoard a planet... that looks like marathon...
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:22 pm

KrAzY wrote:
CivBase wrote:What about HaloXMarathon?

some of us consider them the same universe

a MJOLNIR cyborg... who has been frozen in a cryotube for 200 years... with a wiped memory because of an AI with him when he was frozen.... when Halo 3 ends 200 years before marathon... while the MC is wearing MJOLNIR armor... with cortana 10 feet from him.... and then they float twoard a planet... that looks like marathon...
Bungie said that they are not in the same Universe.

A few people think that that Master Chief got transported in a different universe when the arch exploded... Somehow.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:27 pm

KrAzY wrote:and then they float twoard a planet... that looks like marathon...

erm... marathon is a moon.

and the S'pht planet was swamps that got destroyed or something (can't really recall what happened to it)

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Ukurse wrote:Bungie said that they are not in the same Universe.

A few people think that that Master Chief got transported in a different universe when the arch exploded... Somehow.

Holy shit! Were those the words they used? If so, then it's almost definitely true. MC getting sent to another universe when the portal collapsed sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:Alien and Predator go together so well that they are considered in the same universe.

They have two movies together, more than a few video games, comic books, and even an appearance in Predator2,
Yeah, I saw the Alien skull, but the combination doesn't make for very good movies. AvP was just weird and lukewarm, while AvPII sucked. It just relied on blood and guts to lure in the "Saw XVI" crowd.

ReconToaster wrote:
Rasq wrote:And even if the universes don't really go together, I see a lot of MCXSamus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL-mR79GErU
I don't have the bandwidth to download anything from Youtube, but I'll take a wild-arse guess and presume that's "Haloid". Fifty percent chance that it has the bonus scene with it.

ReconToaster wrote:
Ukurse wrote:Bungie said that they are not in the same Universe.

Holy shit! Were those the words they used? If so, then it's almost definitely true. MC getting sent to another universe when the portal collapsed sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
Which means that the Master Chief won't be recovered by UNSC forces...
Which means that the military will be able to make up anything it wants to about the Spartan IIs.
Which means that the Heinleinists, once they begin to be elected to government positions, will be able to publicly release information about the Spartan II training and augmentation... Turning public opinion in favor of an all-volunteer military, hopefully culminating in the establishment of a Heinlein Republic... Making Humanity the most kick-arse force in the Galaxy, combining strong political will with sound ideology and irresistible firepower. (Slipspace drives+Shields+Plasma containment tech+NOVA=Interplanetary Ballistic Missiles)

We win.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:38 pm

BBJynne wrote:
KrAzY wrote:and then they float twoard a planet... that looks like marathon...

erm... marathon is a moon.

and the S'pht planet was swamps that got destroyed or something (can't really recall what happened to it)

I know Marathon was a moon

I can say somebody is headed twoard a rock that looks like a car... that doesn't mean I think that the rock is a car...
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down