Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors

+12
Rotaretilbo
Rasq'uire'laskar
CivBase
dragoon9105
Vtrooper
Archangel
Felix
Angatar
Vigil
Cheese
Ascendant Justice
L0d3x
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors Empty Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors

Post by L0d3x Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:43 am

So I decided to PM our good friend Dave, and ask him about the unit colors in halowars. I thought some of you may be interested to read his response:

Hey,

You probably don't know me (unless you monitored the forums a while back as well), but I know you're the lead dev so I have one question
pertaining to a design decision you guys took.

Why did you guys choose to make all the Covenant units purple and all the UNSC units green in campaign? I understand this for skirmish and
multiplayer in general, but campaign should stay true to its source material. In the halo games, grunts are orange and red. Elites are blue and red, and other spec-ops variants. Hunters are blue as well.

I understand you probably won't reply to this, as it is critique on your game. But a man can dream right?

Regards,
L0d3x

And here's his response:

Why wouldn't I reply?

In any event, it's a fairly un-exciting answer: Ease of recognition.

When we had the "right" Halo colors in the campaign, it was confusing people. Some of them expected the minimap colors to match the color in the world, some didn't. Some expected all the enemies to be the same color, etc.

We did try to strike a balance between Halo expectations and the RTS issues, though. From an RTS standpoint, I would always choose to make the human player blue, but that's a Cov color (vs. the standard UNSC green). Ditto for red being the enemy, but purple is a much more dominant Cov color.

It was the best compromise we could strike.
Dave Pottinger
Lead Designer, Halo Wars

I still think a better solution could have been found, the minimap could just have a symbolic representation of enemies for example. Not that it matters. Anyways, hope some of you found this interesting.

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors Empty Re: Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors

Post by Ascendant Justice Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:50 am

Im astounded by the fact that he replied in the first place. Did you PM him on the official HWF?? If so I may have a few questions and issues that I would like to bring up as well...
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors Empty Re: Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors

Post by L0d3x Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:51 am

Yeah I PM'd him after I noticed he was replying on certain topics.
His username is "godgib"

http://www.halowars.com/members/godgib.aspx

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:18 am

Good of him to answer, and it was a pretty good answer. Did seem as though they had a legitimate problem as well as a good attempt of fixing it. Dave Pottinger gets a plus one in my books - where this leaves his total score I'm not sure...

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:26 am

Urge to send angry PM about Flood combat forms rising.....................
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:58 am

Well I asked him about the Jackal and Flood Combat forms and this is what he said:

'Why wouldn't I reply? Smile

Anyhow, I get what you're saying. The 'official' lore reason is actually internally debated somewhat. If those two races can't be infected by the Flood, it causes some other serious issues with the overall universe.

In any event, that aside, the main reason for us is gameplay. We simply could not make the game work w/o those races getting infected. We knew better than to cross the line with the Hunters, but we couldn't have the entire Cov infantry system be Flood-proof.'
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:29 pm

They do get infected, but aren't combat forms, they become carriers.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:57 pm

next question:

the plasma rhino, on the PoA, which was supposed to be in storage...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:05 pm

Angatar wrote:They do get infected, but aren't combat forms, they become carriers.

That's how I replied. Very Happy
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:34 pm

Felix wrote:
the plasma rhino
What's that?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:55 pm

a rhino that fires plasma....
Archangel
Archangel
Most Holy Angel of the Flame

Male Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:57 pm

Archangel wrote:a rhino that fires plasma....

i think the UNSC didnt have enothe covie junk at that time for them to fire plasma
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 pm

its a campaign unit

hell, you're the one with the game.
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:02 pm

Archangel wrote:its a campaign unit

hell, you're the one with the game.

yes BUT anders said they knows covie shields are weakend by plasma but thats all that makes sence
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm

what the.... a unit that fires plasma... for the unsc.... WTF2?

and thats not a reasonable excuse for the crayon colors they were just being lazy, notice how forge has unique colors now they could do that with any other unsc unit.

For the minimap use halo motion tracker colors Red for enemies and yellow for allies, halo players would regonize it and RTS players would adapt. on the feild unit visibility should not be a problem, hell i can see enemy stealthed units in starcraft fine, is a winter camoflauge warthog to much to ask?
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:36 pm

I gotta admit though that Dave is a friendly chap.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:41 pm

dragoon9105 wrote:and thats not a reasonable excuse for the crayon colors they were just being lazy, notice how forge has unique colors now they could do that with any other unsc unit.

For the minimap use halo motion tracker colors Red for enemies and yellow for allies, halo players would regonize it and RTS players would adapt. on the feild unit visibility should not be a problem, hell i can see enemy stealthed units in starcraft fine, is a winter camoflauge warthog to much to ask?
Other RTS players wouldn't need to adapt. That's general team colors for almost every game (though blue and green are often substituted). Even AoE, Ensembles own game, had the capability to use that system.

It's a better answer than we've been getting... but it sounds like they're going to far. A few gamers got confused? They didn't even release it to the public! They're just being lazy... Let a player play through 10 games, they'll be sure to learn by then. If not, they're probably not old enough to play on anything above normal, meaning it won't really matter if they have to take an extra five seconds to identify a marine.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Angatar wrote:They do get infected, but aren't combat forms, they become carriers.
Not the Jackals.

In any case, they could have had the Jackals get KILLED by the infection forms. They just didn't devote enough thinking time to this game.

Going to see if Graeme is as friendly, but I might send Pottinger a PM.

Last edited by Rasq'uire'laskar on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:47 pm

Ask about the Pillar of Autumn.
Archangel
Archangel

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Dave is rather friendly.

Don't know about Devine.

I'm sure he love the question about the PoA.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:38 pm

Dave Pottingner about campaign covenant colors Weee
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:44 pm

CivBase wrote:
It's a better answer than we've been getting... but it sounds like they're going to far. A few gamers got confused? They didn't even release it to the public! They're just being lazy... Let a player play through 10 games, they'll be sure to learn by then. If not, they're probably not old enough to play on anything above normal, meaning it won't really matter if they have to take an extra five seconds to identify a marine.

You must remember that Halo Wars was marketed at more casual RTS folk (or in the gaming industry apparently... idiots)

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:36 pm

OK, people, let's not swarm the two guys with PMs. Let's post what we want to ask, and we'll consolidate it into two PMs.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:58 pm

What he said ^
It's great to finally have such a chance, let's not scare them off.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:01 pm

I get to do the one for Graeme!
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum