Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

+18
KristallNacht
JB
L0d3x
Gauz
Vigil
Gold Spartan
Rasq'uire'laskar
Felix
KrAzY
Rotaretilbo
CivBase
dragoon9105
Archangel
RX
thane321
Cheese
PiEdude
Toaster
22 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence - Page 3 Empty Re: News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

Post by Felix Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:45 pm

I blame television...

anyway, we all have our personal opinions, but I don't see the need to bring religion(again) into a non-religious topic(unless you're one of those select few that view video games as gods...)
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence - Page 3 Empty Re: News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

Post by L0d3x Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:39 pm

Eh, when I was 15 I had to work in the yard.
It was far from ideal but at least I'm tough as a rock now. Happyface.

OT: I actually find the lady had some points here, especially about the MLG stuff and the peer pressure. Though there was some bullshit in it as well.

All in all I enjoyed watching it.

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:50 pm

what im a bit angry about is they complain about an overly dramatic kid running away with no survival plan or some sort, with neglectful parents.. hold on lets rewind that, neglectful parents... hmm maybe the kid wasnt running away becuase his video games were tkane away but that me might have wanted his parents to show some affection and look for him? (and found him), or to at least notice he actualy ran away?. Becuase logicaly running away from home wont get you your games back as you are most likely going to watch your parents smash them with a baseball bat for running away becuase they took your games away

what im surprised about is how this creates more controvery then say the lethal 72 hour korean starcraft binges we here about, now thats what i call competetive devotion.

Or the people who MMO themselfs to death and have died infront of the game, this kid just ran away thats his and his parents fault not the games.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:53 pm

Felix wrote:anyway, we all have our personal opinions, but I don't see the need to bring religion(again) into a non-religious topic(unless you're one of those select few that view video games as gods...)
Not trying to start an argument, just saying that he and Recon have very similar views regarding the subject. And, well, being as he used to love the guy...
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:56 pm

in short... video games didn't cause his death at all

his dad took him off of the hockey team (the only sport in canada) ... and bought him an xbox... and didn't limit what he could play or how much he could play

the kid was spoiled with neglectful parents... he ran away and fell out of a tree
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by thane321 Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:04 pm

KrAzY wrote:he ran away and fell out of a tree
fell or jumped?
thane321
thane321
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:10 pm

I think fell.

Also, didn't his Dad take him off the hockey team because he was too small? And I don't know about you, but I spent a lot of time when I was his age playing games until the wee hours - with or without friends. It was just before internet so it never got in the way of dinner or stuff.

They really do need to find a pause substitute in those.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:14 pm

I balance games with exercise.

For example, right now, after school 4 days a week, I do Football workouts.

When working out, you need rest time too inbetween work out days, if you want the muscle to have time to recover and grow stronger.

So, I balance working out, and playing video games.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:30 pm

most people balance games and excercise and still consider themselves gamers...

I personally rowed crew in HS... and now I run and lift weights... as rowing isn't really a big sport in the mountains

hell... a lot of hard core gamers I know are very physically fit, and intelligent
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:34 pm

Like me.

I run 2+ miles each weekend, 5 if I can get into the gym on Saturday and Sunday.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:49 pm

Woo parkour for me!

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:50 pm

CivBase wrote:
Felix wrote:anyway, we all have our personal opinions, but I don't see the need to bring religion(again) into a non-religious topic(unless you're one of those select few that view video games as gods...)
Not trying to start an argument, just saying that he and Recon have very similar views regarding the subject. And, well, being as he used to love the guy...

Are you confusing Bill Maher with Carl Sagan? 'Cause I still love Carl Sagan... despite his non-responsivness. Sad face.

As for physical activity... meh. The most I do is snowboarding, which I'm getting quite god at... but that's only in the winter. The rest of the year is spent at the computer. Cool
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:05 pm

I wait till the summer months where I swim from dawn till dusk on some days.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:29 pm

ahh yes... swimming...

swim team or just for fun?

competative swimming is tiring as fuck... I did it for 7 years... but as soon as I started rowing I vowed never to race in a pool ever again (although ontop of it in a boat is okay ^^.... if the pool was a mile long...)
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:42 pm

My thoughts:
alright if your going to let someone who is easily influenced play video games you have to explain to them about addiction, and that the video games arent life, AND that video games do not pertain to real life
if you are willing to let your child play a game you should explain this to them or they could end up getting horribly addicted.
Also if you know your kid is becoming addicted to a game ween them from it make them go play outside or something. When i was younger i only got 1-2 hours of gaming a day and as i got older i was able to play more and more, now i can play as long as a i want as long as my grades are in check

If you aren't willing to take the time to explain these things to your kid thats bad parenting, either that or you shouldn't be letting them play the games till you know they're ready

Personally im gonna let my kids play games just like my parents let me, but im going to tell them about the do's and don'ts of gaming, and keep telling them till they realize the difference between the two.
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:44 pm

well at least until virtual reality sets in, or a virtual reality MMO, oh boy will the addicts drop like flies thinking they are satifising their thirst by drinking virtual health potions, mwuhahahahaha :twisted:
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by JB Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:54 pm

I work out every other day, to stay in moderate shape, i dont really work out till sports seasons or summer time rolls around, cause if u muscle up and dont keep working at it, it'll turn into fat
this is my schedual for summer workout
Monday: Weightlift, swim, rest/fun
Tuesday: Run, Paintball, swim, rest/fun
and it goes every other day like that.
I enjoy my workout time as well
i might not be "really book smart" but i manage
plus im going into Graphical design and im already studying up on it
JB
JB
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1183
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:21 pm

KrAzY wrote:ahh yes... swimming...

swim team or just for fun?
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Meh, I'm terribly out of shape. Conversely, I haven't gained a pound in the last five years, so I haven't really bothered to try and stay in shape.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:52 am

I started conditioning in November to get my climbups faster and my jumps higher (which it very much has done). It is bizzarely fun. Now it seems I can't go an hour without playing on my pull up bar or more than two days without taking a run.

But yes, what JB first said before we all got distracted by training. Razz

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:22 am

JB wrote:
Tuesday:Paintball
I love you.
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Meh, I'm terribly out of shape. Conversely, I haven't gained a pound in the last five years, so I haven't really bothered to try and stay in shape.

I've gained over 10lbs just since I started going to marine physical training
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:12 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:Meh, I'm terribly out of shape. Conversely, I haven't gained a pound in the last five years, so I haven't really bothered to try and stay in shape.

I've gained over 10lbs just since I started going to marine physical training
I'm sorta jealous on you Razz Always been intersted in the U.S. Marines. Even tough I live in Norway.
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:29 pm

o.0

RX, you don't want to be jealous of NT, EVER.

Plus, you cannot be a God.
Archangel
Archangel
Most Holy Angel of the Flame

Male Number of posts : 574

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:50 pm

I used to do Marine Corps "pool functions" with the recruits at the recruiting center. We'd do as many pull ups as we could, then as many of these nifty little sit ups as we could in two minutes, and then we'd run a mile and a half around the mall complex. We were given thirteen and a half minutes to do so. If one person went over time, we all got thrashed, which was the recruiting officers' term for us doing nonstop exercises until one of the recruiting officers (usually a corporal) got tired of shouting exercises. These spanned from lunges to supermans to push ups to monkey fuckers (which are like really fast squats) to jumping jacks to just about anything else, and we weren't allowed any breaks during thrashing, which normally lasted half an hour to an hour, depending on the mood of the recruiting officer issuing the thrashing. If we all made it under time, well, we still got thrashed, but we were allowed to go inside into a maintenance hallway (rather than out in the Arizona heat) and the thrashing usually lasted half as long.

I stopped going because, at the time, I was asthmatic (which pretty much killed my hopes and dreams of joining the Corps), and I nearly passed out during a particularly grueling thrashing.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next