Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

+18
KristallNacht
JB
L0d3x
Gauz
Vigil
Gold Spartan
Rasq'uire'laskar
Felix
KrAzY
Rotaretilbo
CivBase
dragoon9105
Archangel
RX
thane321
Cheese
PiEdude
Toaster
22 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence Empty News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:19 am

A while back, a young kid (12-13) named Brandon Crisp ran away after his father took away his xbox and cod4.

They later found him dead.

Months later, this news station decided to spin this tragic event into a piece of anti-gaming propaganda. She treats games like drugs, and gamers like addicts.

The majority of the show has the halo "believe" music playing in the background, and at one point, she says Halo is about killing "menacing robots."

Also, the minute those Avatars showed up on screen, I almost threw up. pale

LINK: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/

Last edited by ReconToaster on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence Empty Re: News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:05 am

Um, link?

(I know what you're talking about though)
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence Empty Re: News special blames game addiction for child dissapearence

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:15 am

Yeah me too.

+1 for link

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by thane321 Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:09 am

Cheese wrote:+1 for link
thane321
thane321
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

sorry guys, I had it copied and was ready to paste it. I forgot Sad

link is in the main post Smile
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:22 pm

Wow, that synopsis doesn't look biased at all!

Greig's prelude in D flat much...? Halo's 'Believe' music... My God - is this what we've become? Razz

EDIT - Ok yeah... maybe the 'Believe' thing is reinforced.

EDIT EDIT (17:34) - 'Ok, but there's not a banner on the front saying, "Warning Parents! This game is inappropriate for children under 17!"'

Yes! Yes there is! She keeps telling you there is and you keep repeating that sentence! It's like they've never heard of film ratings before!

EDIT EDIT EDIT (26:09) - Why is she so surprised they put in 800 hours into their career? That's only 100 days on a normal 8 hour shift.

More edits (38:50) - I like her answers. She calls on the bullshit.

Final thoughts - People should read the comment section. That pretty much sums it up. Although lol at the kid who says about his mum banning him. It's funny because the post is also riddled with typos and contains literally no grammar.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:53 pm

*Jack Thompson jumps in joy*
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Archangel Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:58 pm

SHE DARE MOCK MY HALO?!

Pity for her, she does not realize I live a 30 minute car-ride away from the CBC broadcasting station

Excuse me for the next week and if you see headlines similar to:

"Enraged gamer kills journalist after airing 'Anti-Gamer' Propaganda'"

You'll know who.
Archangel
Archangel
Most Holy Angel of the Flame

Male Number of posts : 574

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:59 pm

*rolls eyes* you can become addicted to anything, hell you can become addicted to chocolate.

What im angry about is people suddenly decide to pin a scapgoat on games, lets put a little blame on our public school systems as to why kids resort to smoking, obsessive gaming, drugs, gangs. ect

This is just another peice of "pin the blame on the popular media" the same way adults dont like what there children are watching but dont have enough brainpower to relize they can block a channel.

If you dont want your child buying or playing violent games like H3 or Cod4 then dont buy them the damn game, if they still want a violent game get them something with the proper rating.

And its very contradictory to play very familiar popular game music when your trying to bash video games. They are doing that to make anyone who knows that music to look up and go "Oh halo 3, oh nevermind its just the news"
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:20 pm

Cheese wrote:Final thoughts - People should read the comment section. That pretty much sums it up.

Yeah, but many of the comments just resort to the very frustrating "FIFTEEN YEAR-OLDS SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING M RATED GAMES" bullshit. I don't know what these people were like at the age of fifteen, but I find myself to be capable of handling grand theft auto.

Seriously, there is not definite age barrier. It should be the judgment of the parent, who should know whether their child is responsible, and stable enough to handle them.

I'm fifteen... but i'm not an emotional, fragile mess, who flips out over a form of media. I find the accusations insulting.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:21 pm

Games? No

Facebook and Myspace?... now that's another thing.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:22 pm

CivBase wrote:Games? No

Facebook and Myspace?... now that's another thing.

lol, that's just where the horrors of our generation are presented to the public, for the embarrassment of us all.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:26 pm

And its very contradictory to play very familiar popular game music when your trying to bash video games. [/quote]

It's not about Halo! It was written by a famous musician guy called Greig who was advised to go on holiday to Spain to overcome a fever in the warm weather, unfortunately it rained for weeks on end. This is what he composed in his lucid, depressed state - this is why it has been dubbed 'The Raindrop.'

It has often been said to depict the tragedy in monotony and depression, hence why it works rather well in the segment, even if nobody (including them) realises it.

So I'm pretty disappointed that this piece has been dubbed the Halo music because it would be like calling Ode to Joy, 'that one from Die Hard', or Shakespeare, 'that bloke from Medieval Total War.

So yeah, it's not just a piece directed at gamers. Lots of people know the song.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:32 pm

Video games now, are what rock music was in the 1950's.

Adults hate it, teenagers love it, and everyone thinks it's either just a fad, or something you can just get rid of with a lot of complaining.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:34 pm

I find it funny that this kid spent a year so heavily addicted to video games that he hardly slept, and his parents didn't notice or intervene that entire time, until he started ditching school and the school told them. Video games, or complete and total parental neglect, followed by complete and total parental indiscretion concerning the psychological effects it would have to take away a substance from a year-long heavy addict. Have you ever watched a person heavily addicted to a real drug go into withdrawal when they are forced to cold turkey in a jail cell? It isn't pretty. But it gets better. The kid told them he was running away, and they thought this so laughable, they went back to completely ignoring his existence and didn't even know he left? Come on. The true problem is pretty damned evident here, and video games isn't it.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:40 pm

oh noes

according to that video and the super unbiased lady doing the interviews I think that I may have an "addiction"

I just love killing the peoples so much!

I find it funny that she looks down on people who play games for money (something that takes skill and practice)... when her job is to talk to a camera... "I bet you never break a sweat infront of that screen" could be applied to her job just as much... if not more than to gamers
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:47 pm

I bet Oprah wrote this... after all, she's the ultimate source of evil.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by thane321 Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:02 pm

LOL at the comments saying 'i don't want my tax going to cbc'

i realy admire that cbc are raising awareness
'"1 in[i can't remember] gamers show signs of addiction."'

glad you are telling how parents could recognise these signs-.-

no let's just bitch, that'll solve everything
thane321
thane321
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1142
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Those damn video machines...

back in my day, we didn't have those fancy smacy machines, we had sticks...and rocks! And we had to share the rock!
/old person talking to himself
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:00 pm

Well, ma'am, if 9.99999 out of 10 movies that come out of Hollywood weren't crap, and they didn't charge 8 bucks a pop at the theater, I might do something other than play video games.
PiEman wrote:Video games now, are what rock music was in the 1950's.

Adults hate it, teenagers love it, and everyone thinks it's either just a fad, or something you can just get rid of with a lot of complaining.
And Comic Books were before that. And then Jazz before that. And then Talkies before that. And then Motion Pictures before that.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:04 pm

And of course the Theatre before that.

And before that they had rocks...and Onyx hogged them all.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:58 pm

Felix wrote:Those damn video machines...

back in my day, we didn't have those fancy smacy machines, we had sticks...and rocks! And we had to share the rock!

and dont forget that generation started 3 wars, almost blew up the planet on multiple occasions and made over half the world hate them to the point where they want to blow themselfs up, boy those were the days!
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:21 pm

dragoon9105 wrote:
Felix wrote:Those damn video machines...

and dont forget that generation started 3 wars, almost blew up the planet on multiple occasions and made over half the world hate them to the point where they want to blow themselfs up, boy those were the days!
What else are we gunna do? It's not like we can just simulate the violence over a harmless, yet entertaining screen!
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 pm

I swear to god, as long as the democrats control the media, we'll see more of this shit. But sooner or later it will end.....when all the "unbiased" media stations have been nuked once they take our video games away.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Cheese wrote:So I'm pretty disappointed that this piece has been dubbed the Halo music because it would be like calling Ode to Joy, 'that one from Die Hard', or Shakespeare, 'that bloke from Medieval Total War.

So yeah, it's not just a piece directed at gamers. Lots of people know the song.

But they showed clips of the halo believe trailer multiple times during the broadcast. I think they intended the connection.

Gold wrote:I swear to god, as long as the democrats control the media, we'll see more of this shit.

You're right, It's all those darn democrats. Fox News is democrat... right?
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum