Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo)

+6
Dud Doodoo
Vigil
L0d3x
Ascendant Justice
CivBase
Felix
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo) Empty My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo)

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:35 pm

To start things off, yes I have the full game. You don't believe me, that's fine, you don't have to read this then, and pretend it doesn't exist. For those of you who do believe I have the game, here is my review of it. And no, its not all "its the best game evar" or "it suks" but somewhere in the middle...

Let me first say this, the 07 demo is gone, and you people need to let go. Stop being clingy little bastards and just put the 07 into the back of your mind. What you see, is what you get. Also, stop comparing Halo Wars to Starcraft, DoW, and other RTS games. Halo is different, get over it.

I also should add that this review is a little biased. Other people may not have been so...nice.

Lets start with the controls shall we?

controls

Ya, ya, I bet you've heard enough of the controls so here is my take on it. You have to be missing your left hand, and have a hook for your right hand in order not to get the controls. Even then, the controls should be simple enough to use.

Next up is campaign

Campaign

Let me start off with a question on this one. ES, wtf? Honestly, I don't know what you guys were thinking when you made the campaign. Don't get me wrong, you guys were good(to some degree) with the canon. I don't know what happened... Either you guys dropped the canon into a few thousand pieces, and tried to piece it back together with glue and scotch tape... And you seem to be forgeting the closer part with certain vehicles and units. Graheme once said as an example "The reason you don't see wolverines is because the factory was on Mars, and that factory was bombed in 2535 blah blah blah...". Either you guys forgot to add the reasons, or I'm not looking hard enough. Maybe the answers are in the black boxes that are scattered throughout the campaign, so I could be wrong there. Anyway, to get on a good note, the campaign is atleast fun. To make a long story longer, this campaign is only for a select few groups. If you like fun, and are not much into story telling, you'll have a blast playing the campaign. If you're one of those people who only played halo 3, never read any of the books, and basically know nothing of the story, like RTS games, you should like this campaign. If you like to watch things crash and burn, then you should also play the campaign. Also, you achievement whores should like the campaign, as most of the achievements are there.

Now, here are the people who should avoid the campaign. People who have an overly obsetion with the halo story line, that a single inconsistancy will send you into a frenzy and killing spree. If you like a good story that makes sense, stay away from this. If you are one of those achievement whores who are also a fan of the halo story, you'll more than likely tear yourself in two unsure if you should do the campaign or not. Although, you could always play co-op and have the other guy do all the work while you do something else.

Let me sum up those two paragraphs with this. If you like the halo story, then avoid this campaign. If you like fun, achievements, and don't care for the halo story, you'll enjoy the campaign.

Cutscenes

These are amazing, whoever worked on the cutsenes needs a pat-on-the back, or give them a raise, or something even better. If you need a reason to play the campaign, it's because of the cutscenes. They literarly blew me away...

skirmish

This, is what I feel the best part of the game(besides MP). The maps vary from size and certain objects on the map. They are a hell of a lot of fun to play, and there is serious re-playablity here(unlike campaign). To those that have the demo and played against the AI, I'm thinking you thought the AI was easy right? Well, the Legendary AI is more than a challenge. Plus, there is another difficulty level called automatic(40), which I assume means "In 40 seconds, you better have brought the lube". I was a little disappointed with the inclusion of only two gametypes, standard and deathmatch. Maybe some DLC will be some new gametypes, I hope.

To make this a short post, skirmish is fun, and there is serious enjoyment to be had in these maps.

Multiplayer

I can't really say much on this, as I have only tried twice to find a match, and both times I was the only one online. Maybe they were avoiding me because I am so awesome, that they didn't want to lose to me, or I just get on at the wrong times. I assume its the first. Anyway, if it's anything like skirmish, except with more people, then it will be even more fun than skirmish.

Halo Timeline

This is the cool part right here, the halo timeline. What it is, is the events that occuried throughout and before the human-covenant war. The irony that I find is that those events hold more canon credibility than the campaign, which is what you need to do in order to find these events. Irony is a funny thing isn't it? Anyway, they are pretty cool, and adds a nice backstory to the halo universe.

Let me sum it all up in these last few sentences. The game is fun, hell of a lot of fun. It falls short on the story though. You'll spend most of your time on the skirmish rather than the campaign.

If you're looking for a rating, here it is. Its good, but not awesome. You want a number rating, Q. I don't see the need for numbers, but if you want one, its about a 7, maybe 7.5.

All in all, this is a game you want to play with or agianst friends, rather than tell you a compelling story that makes sense. You can always wait for the price to go down to get this game. Maybe a month or two.

anyway, if you have any questions, feel free to ask me at anytime. I probably missed some stuff in this review, so feel free to point out anything.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo) Empty Re: My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo)

Post by CivBase Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:54 pm

Felix wrote:I can't really say much on this, as I have only tried twice to find a match, and both times I was the only one online. Maybe they were avoiding me because I am so awesome, that they didn't want to lose to me, or I just get on at the wrong times. I assume its the first.
ROFL

...or maybe if they want to play in their free time they'll go LAN.

Anywho, decent review. I was hoping the story itself would be better... even though they trashed cannon. Oh well, multiplayer should still be a blast.

Have you seen any problems with the leaders? Maybe one being unbalanced? Or are they set up pretty well?
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo) Empty Re: My personal review of Halo Wars(the game, not the demo)

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:57 pm

Nice review.....when are yuh gonna answer my PM? Assuming that things on the other website have died down a little.

And there will probably be a few people who wont believe you, but you should be able to explain it to them in a couple of sentences.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:59 pm

CivBase wrote:
Felix wrote:I can't really say much on this, as I have only tried twice to find a match, and both times I was the only one online. Maybe they were avoiding me because I am so awesome, that they didn't want to lose to me, or I just get on at the wrong times. I assume its the first.
ROFL

Anywho, decent review. I was hoping the story itself would be better... even though they trashed cannon. Oh well, multiplayer should still be a blast.

Have you seen any problems with the leaders? Maybe one being unbalanced? Or are they set up pretty well?

Yeah the one leader that seems overpowered is the arbiter. Simply because he can cloak for an infinite amount of time (or so Ive heard) and using that grav lift in your base, you can literally teleport an army to the back of your opponent's base without being seen.

How difficult is it to kill him?
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:00 pm

Hmm, can somebody tell me if this review has any spoilers about the story?
Else I'm not gonna read it.

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:01 pm

CivBase wrote:
ROFL

I am slowly trying each leader out, and each seem to have his/her checks and balances. But, I will look further into each leader to make sure
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:02 pm

No spoils.

*arbiter turns invisible, walks up to LH's base, and uses the grav lift to transport 39 suicide grunts right on top of the base*
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:03 pm

L0d3x wrote:Hmm, can somebody tell me if this review has any spoilers about the story?

I made sure not to put spoliers in my review. the one thing that I did mention was the black boxes, which everyone knows about
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 pm

CivBase wrote:No spoils.

*arbiter turns invisible, walks up to LH's base, and uses the grav lift to transport 39 suicide grunts right on top of the base*

^^ This is exactly what Im worried about. Because online, people (I can guarantee you) will abuse this 99.9% of the time and it will end up killing the game.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Felix wrote:
L0d3x wrote:Hmm, can somebody tell me if this review has any spoilers about the story?

I made sure not to put spoliers in my review. the one thing that I did mention was the black boxes, which everyone knows about

Damnit I don't know what the black boxes are Sad
I'm such an ass to myself when it comes to halo storylines, unfortunately I won't read the review.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:13 pm

L0d3x wrote:
Felix wrote:

Damnit I don't know what the black boxes are Sad
I'm such an ass to myself when it comes to halo storylines, unfortunately I won't read the review.

oh well, I actaully worked hard on this review...
anyway, i'll sum it up for you: avoid the campaign
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:15 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
CivBase wrote:No spoils.

^^ This is exactly what Im worried about. Because online, people (I can guarantee you) will abuse this 99.9% of the time and it will end up killing the game.

Because people are assholes. Very Happy

I really hope the Arbiter isn't overpowered.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:39 pm

Okay so I read the review, apart from the campaign (all I picked up is that it sucks, right?).

I just have a question about the skirmish/MP: in the bigger maps, is there a higher popcap (or a decreased one perhaps?).

I would also like to take the time to lol @ ES for having such a self-proclaimed great story that would be insanely cool, and you just shot it right down.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:43 pm

L0d3x wrote:Okay so I read the review, apart from the campaign (all I picked up is that it sucks, right?).

I just have a question about the skirmish/MP: in the bigger maps, is there a higher popcap (or a decreased one perhaps?).

I would also like to take the time to lol @ ES for having such a self-proclaimed great story that would be insanely cool, and you just shot it right down.

you'll basically be playing campaign for the achievements only.

I havent tried all maps yet, i'll be sure to check to pop out later today.

lol away
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:47 pm

Hmm it's strange, when I see all the cinematics that have been released, the campaign really seems like something I want to play.

Ah well, good marketing perhaps?

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:55 pm

lol, don't watch the cinematics! That spoils everything and makes it that much worse!
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:10 pm

I only was the viddoc's cinematics, I still don't have a clue what's gonna happen.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:40 pm

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8bkr9_halo-wars-cinematic-trailer-spoiler_videogames

Perhaps. LOd3x, don't worry at ALL about spoilers, the Halo Wars storyline is uncanon BULLSHIT, it's more along the lines of a crappy fan fiction.

And Felix, do you have proof that you own the game?

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:03 pm

Take a picture of the CD!
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:11 pm

well Microsoft owns halo canon and gave it to ensemble
but im not getting into that one

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8bkr9_halo-wars-cinematic-trailer-spoiler_videogames

Perhaps. LOd3x, don't worry at ALL about spoilers, the Halo Wars storyline is uncanon BULLSHIT, it's more along the lines of a crappy fan fiction.

And Felix, do you have proof that you own the game?

people can voucth for me, or you can check my profile TBD 357.

I could take a pic, but i dont know how to upload pics from a camera to a computer
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:06 pm

I have one question Felix:

Is the game worth Buying? It doesn't matter if the price is $60 to me, just is the game worth getting?
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Kasrkin Seath wrote:I have one question Felix:

Is the game worth Buying? It doesn't matter if the price is $60 to me, just is the game worth getting?

that depends what you are looking for really...

if you enjoyed the halo 3 experince which was mostly multiplayer based, then yes, it is worth buying. If you are looking for a compelling story that makes sense and fits the halo timeline, then you should wait to the price drops...

but, it really depends on what you want
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Im more interested in Skirmish and Multiplayer... so I guess that means I should buy based on what you are saying.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:20 pm

Kasrkin Seath wrote:Im more interested in Skirmish and Multiplayer... so I guess that means I should buy based on what you are saying.

dont buy or not buy because of me. all i am saying is my opinion. and that is, if you're more interested in skirmish and MP, then you'll enjoy halo wars
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next