Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo Legends: The full Review.

+12
Offensive Bias
BBJynne
Vtrooper
Rasq'uire'laskar
Ruski
Ringleader
Rotaretilbo
Felix
Gold Spartan
Gauz
Ukurse
Vigil
16 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Halo Legends: The full Review. Empty Halo Legends: The full Review.

Post by Vigil Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm

Found this lurking on That Guy With the Glasses. Pretty much exactly what we thought.

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/community/blog/17481

Or here it is copied below

As the title suggests, I'm a huge Halo fan, so naturally I felt I had to buy the anime DVD Halo: Legends. It consists of 7 different "segments" each created by a different studio. I'm not sure how good it is as a review, but here it is.

1. Origins.

Origins is techically 2 segments, which is probably because it was made to sum up the Halo backstory for viewers. It's narrated by Cortana (Flaw #1: The voice actors sound nothing like the characters from the games), who is talking to Chief after Halo 3. Yes, after Halo 3, but not counting the Legendary ending. There's only one thing that gives any hint at all about how the story will continue is that Cortana is reaching the end of her 7-year lifespan.

The first segment is about the Forerunner-Covenant war, and we see alot about the Forerunners that we've never seen before, which for me is what I've always wanted. There are a few plot holes, but I'm going to blame them on the fact that Origins doesn't have much time to sum up the events of the Halo Universe. But overall, this was well done. The art was good, and I'm glad it's twice as long as the other installments.

Origins II talks mostly about the Human-Covenant war, but it's summed up too briefly. It could have been much better if it didn't spend so long talking about Human advancement and making a giant anti-war statement. Apparently Cortana has dropped every ounce of her sense of humour and has begun to think humanity has few other feelings than violence. Although I did like the epic ending, and only one of the other segments can even try to compete with the fact that we see.....things....(SPOILERS): Such as Halo firing and the Forerunners...although we still don't see the actual Forerunners, they're completley covered in armor.

2. The Duel.

This was by far the worst segment. The first reason is the art. If I made this out correctly, it looks like the studio first created the segment in 3-D CGI, then drew over all the frames so it looked more animated. Outcome: It sucked, and a third of the time it was hard to see what was actually happening. The story could have been interesting, but it was too confusing (Flaw #2: Use of flashbacks. Almost every segement flashes between different events. The Duel did this the worst, but most segments did this to some degree, and it never pullled off) (Flaw #3: Halo Waypoint. I think one problem is that the segments were originally released in chunks over a certain amount of time. In some cases, it's obvious that the segment wasn't originally made to be watched at once. Which is very frustrating.) This segment was about the Arbiter. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't the Arbiter from the games (it better not be), but between the voice acting, constant (more like immediate) flashbacks, and confusing art, it's hard to tell. The ending is depressing, and starts an aweful cycle of repetition that's seen in 3 or 4 of the segments. The endings are virtually identical, and in each case depressing.

And there are so many plot holes/inconsistances: Unrealistic fight sequences, A single Hunter the size of a Scarab, Elites not having double sets of mandibles, and we see a female Elite. Since I don't think one has ever been shown before, I'll let it slide, but she looks very little like the male counterpart. In fact, she looks like she should be in Avatar, only gray.

Aweful, aweful segment.

3. Homecoming

Personally, I think this was the first segment was made, as a test, and then half of the other studios tried to copy it. It seems very similar to other segments.

This is where we see Spartans and Marines. Halsey (Apparently I've been pronouncing her name wrong the whole time) makes her first appearance...in a Hornet (the scene makes no sense plotwise). I won't say too much, other than we see some good Human-Covenant action. And the studio clearly tried (unlike the creators of the last one).

There are a couple flaws. 1 being the first of many Halo: Wars references. You see alot more direct Halo: Wars homages then Bungie ones, and I think that's because 343 Studios has direct control on that game. So sadly, we don't see that many shout-outs to Halos 1-3, other than those of the universe they created. There are also some major discrepancies with the canon. And I think the ending is supposed to be a twist, but it happened so fast that I wasn't exactly sure what it meant, other than the ending was a depressing repeat of the Duel. Oh, and the other flaw is the anime. I'm not a fan, so when I see a Spartan do graceful flips in the air, I cringe. And the faces. They're good in some segments, but not in this one.

4. Odd One Out

Oh God....this halfway point was supposed to be a break between the depressing storylines. So it's a parody. At least, it tried to be. To me, it's what Halo would have been if it was an anime show instead of a videogame. It follows Spartan 1337 after he falls out of a ship that also contains Chief and Cortana (the segment is not nearly worthy of their precesence). The segment tries to be funny, but it isn't. The art is very anime-ish, and it's just....bad. The only scene I got a chuckle out of was a scene with the Prophet (I'm guessing) of Truth. If I ever wrote a parody of him it would be somewhat like that. And I enjoy my own humour.

5. The Prototype

This (serious/canonical) segment continues my theory that other than origins, the segments are ordered from worst to best. Prototype continues the repetition of similar endings and flashbacks (although they only have one this time), and repeated music. (the music overall in Legends is good, but it's really repetitious. They take 3 or four themes from Marty, and in fact you only hear Halo's actual theme once, change a couple of them, and play them over and over again. One song, which is actually good, was played 3 different times over the course of Legends. The "Never Forget (Halo 3 menu)" theme and "Under Cover of Darkness (in Halo 3 you hear it when you land on Halo at the end)" theme were played so often I want to strangle the composer...if he can be called that).

Past those flaws, this segement wasn't bad. We see alot of fighting, and a plot that actually sees closure (this hasn't happened since Origins). The animation was good, and the only problem I have is that the Protoype seems to be a cross of Mjolnir armor and the villain from Iron Man. If UNSC even had this as a prototype, the UNSC should have won the war long before Reach took place. 1 other thing. He's not credited, but I swear that Nathan Fillion (Buck) is the voice actor at the end. But if he is, why didn't they use him in The Babysitter?

6. The Babysitter.

This was good. It repeats a few things AGAIN, but it's not nearly as bad as the others. It's basically about a Spartan and ODSTs (including Dutch, who I wish had a bigger part in this) on a major mission. I loved it. It showed the human side of the Halo story sucessfully, unlike the others where there was no happy element at the end. We see a few interesting ways to kill grunts (sadly there's no confetti), and a nice fight with a Brute Chieftan.

That's one of the few problems with this. It's really minor, but this story clearly took place before Halo 2. The Brutes shouldn't have had anything to do with the operation they were performing in the segment. Also, there are Forerunner ruins in this segment, but they make absolutley no sense whatsover. There was a slight hint that MAYBE this may be explained in the future, but still...it's really wierd. I don't want to give anything away, but......what the hell!?

7. The Package

We finally see John given a large role in a segement. And it's CGI (and JUST CGI, unlike the Duel). We finally SEE a Halo space battle, but it feels more Star Wars-esque than the books portray them. We see 7 Spartans, 3 being John, Kelly, and Fred.....which I'm very happy about. We also see Dr. Halsey, who looks 20 years younger than in Homecoming, which took place 20 years earlier.....strange. There's 2 scenes that try to pay homage to earlier scenes in the Trilogy, but they seem so forced that I didn't get that much joy out of them. I think I'll blame that on the voice actors. We see Elites, acting as they should, and there's very few things I can complain about. But I will complain.

1. There's a female elite on the bridge of a Covenant system. She looks nothing like the one in the Duel (but nothing looks right in that anyway), but she seems eerily familiar to that Nemedonian in Episode I. You know, the one with the mask? Uh...I guess you'd have to see it. Also, the way the Chief "beats" the Elites at the end makes no sense. And none of the Covenant have green blood, but they all bleed green anyway.

But it was still much better than the last 5 segments, so I'm happy.

Overall, though? I was dissapointed. And that was after being "meh" before watching it. I'm glad I did, as a Halo fan, but still. It's no Clone Wars (aka an aweful continuity-destroying wreck that kills the fan inside of you), but it's barely worth the money I spent on it. Everything except for Origins makes me fear for how else 343 Studios will try to milk the franchise for every cent they can.

6/10...out of generosity.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Halo Legends: The full Review. Empty Re: Halo Legends: The full Review.

Post by Ukurse Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:54 pm

Never bothered watching Halo:Legends, never will.
Ukurse
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:31 pm

I thought it was more like... halo on an acid trip.

Don't like a lot of it, some is tolerable.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:33 pm

I like everyone's comments on it.
You can tell who the fanboys are.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Sad I can't find the full vids any where.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:54 pm

Felix wrote:Sad I can't find the full vids any where.
Keep it that way, you'll live longer.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:09 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:

I'd rather not, I enjoy halo legends (for the most part anyway). And since I can't buy it, I was hoping to watch it somewhere.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:10 pm

Felix wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:

I'd rather not, I enjoy halo legends (for the most part anyway). And since I can't buy it, I was hoping to watch it somewhere.
You are beneath contempt.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:13 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:
Felix wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:

And you are beneath my care.

Care here -> *

you here -> *
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:20 pm

Felix wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:
Felix wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:

And you are beneath my care.

Care here -> *

you here -> *
Your opinion's credibility died when you typed the part in bold.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:25 pm

I guess because opinions are bad? You lost all your credibility when your ignorance blinded you.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:53 pm

You are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't mean that all opinions are automatically intelligent, and that no opinion can be bad. In this case, your opinion is that Halo Legends was enjoyable, and that's fine. Your opinion is clearly bad, and you are far too easily entertained, but whatever.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:10 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:You are entitled to your opinion. That doesn't mean that all opinions are automatically intelligent, and that no opinion can be bad. In this case, your opinion is that Halo Legends was enjoyable, and that's fine. Your opinion is clearly bad, and you are far too easily entertained, but whatever.

I am actually not easily entertained. But whatever, I don't feel like arguing over this.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:24 am

Halo Legends sucked, pretty badly.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 am

With Legends sucking horribly, Halo Wars sucking terribly, Evolutions being meh and ODST being good yet too short, 2009 wasn't a good year for the Halo Franchise.

2010 could go either way.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 am

Haven't watched it all yet, but I saw Halsey in Homecoming, they did a better job of potraying her at least.

Give my favorite character justice Sad
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 am

Evolutions was good. In fact, the best of Halo this year, other than ODST.

I'll admit that some of Halo: Legends was decent, but the most of it was absolute shit. Canon, appearently, cannot hold in the future.

Halo: Reach is already making me happy and angry at the same time.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Meh.
My two cents on the newer stuff I have seen in the past week:

Homecoming: It was good.
Of course, after seeing "Babysitter", "The Package", and "The Duel" all in a row, "Borat" would have been positively enjoyable.

Nevertheless, I thought that it was done rather well for a 15-minute, low budget anime. Whereas it was clearly non-canon with the Spartan deaths and the escape after the augmentation, I thought it was rather deeper than the other shorts, and actually carried a poignant, if fluffish, message.
So, I'd happily consider it an AU addition to the Halo universe, like the Believe campaign.

Prototype: Well, this one was a toss-up, but I must admit that the "OMFG! MECH BATTAL!" was largely made up for by the "Be Human" and atonement aspect. Could have benefited from being thirty minutes longer...
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:55 pm

agreed packedge was the best
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:07 pm

The package had some major flaws and since I've seen it I've been using it as a runninh joke.

Their distortion of Halsey is unforgiveable. As is their poaching of classic Halo lines.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:21 pm

yes i know

but it was one of the few good ones in my opinion
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 pm

the package loses points for X-wings

they were cool in starwars though

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:45 pm

I thought the package was the worst one, that's the one with the space Harley's right?

So many lines crossed, so many rules broken, and these aren't the rules that were meant to be broken either, these are the rules that are just randy as is.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:43 pm

You need to go back and rewatch The Duel before you call any other the worst. Razz
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:13 am

Ah yes, who can ever forget the classic double quick attack? And of course...

THE ARBITER USED SURF!
Offensive Bias
Offensive Bias
Minion

Male Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next