Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Far Cry 2

+3
L0d3x
A_Bearded_Swede
Vigil
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Far Cry 2 Empty Far Cry 2

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 am

I was curious if anybody has this game, as it's going for half price in my local game store, and I wanted to know if it was worth it.

I played the Far Cry Instincts: Preadtor and hated it.

Is it exactly the same or have they changed it a bit?
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Far Cry 2 Empty Re: Far Cry 2

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:16 am

i have heard good things about it.

haven't played it though.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:23 am

Baconsen wrote:i have heard good things about it.

I heard good things about the last one and it drove me up the wall.

Super accurate soliders who can shoot you even if your crawling in tall grass 300 feet away.

Very, very frustrating indeed.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:32 am

Vigil wrote:

Super accurate soliders who can shoot you even if your crawling in tall grass 300 feet away.

Is there a demo of Far Cry 2?
If there is try that out.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:36 am

Baconsen wrote:
Vigil wrote:

Is there a demo of Far Cry 2?
If there is try that out.

Don't know, but I have a download limit to keep to and Operation Anchorage tomorrow is going to eat a lot into it.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:38 am

Vigil wrote:

Don't know, but I have a download limit to keep to and Operation Anchorage tomorrow is going to eat a lot into it.
i see..
well, good luck Very Happy
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:43 am

Baconsen wrote:
Vigil wrote:

i see..
well, good luck Very Happy
Damn stuff on Xbox Live!

Anchorage tomorrow, Halo Wars demo next week and The Lost and the Damned, and more Fallout 3 DLC next month.

It's just not fair! Evil or Very Mad
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:05 am

I have the xbox360 version and it's obvisouly a beautiful game. You have so much ways to tackle a mission. And you can also just randomly cruise the game world. It's also very cool to see a herd of zebras running in the wild.

One mission in particular that I remember was some villa I had to assault. I took my tactical map and saw that there was a river leading to the back of the villa. So I took a long detour, went up the riverbed. Found a shack and slept until it was dark. I then took my sniper rifle and took up position about half a kilometer away of the villa. I started procedurally taking out all the guards at the river "harbor thing". As it was dark, they never found out from where the fire was coming.

This took me a while, but was fun as hell. My sniper rifle however broke when I was nearly out of bullets, so I ditched it and took out a silenced smg. I then snuck up towards the base, meeting almost no resistance, as I had taken out the largest part of the force. It was then a piece of cake to complete the mission in the villa.

Alternatively I could have taken a jeep, driven up to the driveway and start going all rambo on them.

So Vigil, I highly recommend this game. You can play it any way you want. It's a beautiful game really (note that I hated far cry on the old xbox).

Oh and as for gameplay time, if you play like me...well let's just say that ive put in around 15 hours so far and I'm only at like 20 percent completion. I still have alot of the main story to do and I havent even visited the second part of the map!

L0d3x
Minion

Male Number of posts : 162
Registration date : 2009-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:06 am

L0d3x wrote:I have the xbox360 version and it's obvisouly a beautiful game. You have so much ways to tackle a mission. And you can also just randomly cruise the game world. It's also very cool to see a herd of zebras running in the wild.

One mission in particular that I remember was some villa I had to assault. I took my tactical map and saw that there was a river leading to the back of the villa. So I took a long detour, went up the riverbed. Found a shack and slept until it was dark. I then took my sniper rifle and took up position about half a kilometer away of the villa. I started procedurally taking out all the guards at the river "harbor thing". As it was dark, they never found out from where the fire was coming.

This took me a while, but was fun as hell. My sniper rifle however broke when I was nearly out of bullets, so I ditched it and took out a silenced smg. I then snuck up towards the base, meeting almost no resistance, as I had taken out the largest part of the force. It was then a piece of cake to complete the mission in the villa.

Alternatively I could have taken a jeep, driven up to the driveway and start going all rambo on them.

So Vigil, I highly recommend this game. You can play it any way you want. It's a beautiful game really (note that I hated far cry on the old xbox).

Oh and as for gameplay time, if you play like me...well let's just say that ive put in around 15 hours so far and I'm only at like 20 percent completion. I still have alot of the main story to do and I havent even visited the second part of the map!

Thanks L0d3x, that was very informative, I appreciate it.

So would you say the AI, is a little more balanced this time round?
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:17 am

Oh the AI is decent enough. It seemed to me that you have to be very careful when sneeking up on them.

For example, there was a sniper in a certain area. I snuck up on him and was about to take him out with my knife, but he managed to see me barely in time, and radioed (!) his problem through to the other AI!

By contrast, if you take him out with a silenced weapon from a few meters away, he won't get the chance to alert the others. And you remain hidden thus.

Yea the AI is decent enough. Pretty hard once they find you though.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:47 pm

I would definitely NOT recommend the game for a 360, because the game was built for the PC and it plays a million times better on it, visuals as well as gameplay.(presuming you have a PC that wasn't carved out of wood during the stone age)

As for the game itself, it it's pretty much the only PC FPS that I play, and it's my favorite FPS. There are so many options when it comes to carrying out missions it's insane, and the map and environment is as good as it gets.

As far as AI goes, lets just say that the first time they see you things get tense, as long as you get away quick no shots will go off, but they will be alert and looking for you. Yes, there are many occasions where they see you when they shouldn't but this doesn't always happen. If you're not in their line of sight most of the time you will go undetected.

Honestly though, I prefer pounding the fuck out of the objective with my auto grenade launcher before I charge in close with my uzi and destroy everything in sight. I find it much more fun to wipe out everyone in the base/outpost before I go after the objective itself, I mean what could possibly be more rewarding than walking out of a burnt out base with what you were after, 20 soldiers lying on the ground dead, completely powerless to stop you?

Get it, it's good.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:50 pm

its good very good i like using the pistols in it though
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Dud, did you ever consider the option that perhaps, some people do not have an UB4R 1337 PC? I don't know if this is the case with Vigil, but it is the case with me. I rather play a decent looking shooter on xbox360 (as I for one actually CAN use a controller to shoot stuff) than have a tacky experience on a mediocre PC.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:03 pm

dammit...............

I don't want to do this but.....

its UB3R, not UB4R
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:13 pm

L0d3x wrote:Dud, did you ever consider the option that perhaps, some people do not have an UB4R 1337 PC? I don't know if this is the case with Vigil, but it is the case with me. I rather play a decent looking shooter on xbox360 (as I for one actually CAN use a controller to shoot stuff) than have a tacky experience on a mediocre PC.

Indeed, I'm much more a console gamer than a PC, I truth, I've never played a PC FPS.

The last PC game I played was Battlezone.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:41 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:dammit...............

I don't want to do this but.....

its UB3R, not UB4R

Oh the shame...

Rave move Basketball

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:48 pm

L0d3x wrote:Dud, did you ever consider the option that perhaps, some people do not have an UB4R 1337 PC? I don't know if this is the case with Vigil, but it is the case with me. I rather play a decent looking shooter on xbox360 (as I for one actually CAN use a controller to shoot stuff) than have a tacky experience on a mediocre PC.
It only takes a mediocre PC to run the game on medium settings, which is still slightly above that of a 360. It's not that I prefer all my games on the PC, it's that Far Cry 2 is meant to be played on the PC, and believe me, it makes BIG difference.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Vigil wrote:Indeed, I'm much more a console gamer than a PC, I truth, I've never played a PC FPS.

Sad, seeing as the genre originated on the PC...
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:21 pm

Everything gaming originated on the pc lol

Using a controller originated on the computer, but doesn't mean you still use one with games on it right?
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:03 pm

LP wrote:Everything gaming originated on the pc lol

Not really. Platformers, JRPGs, and a lot of third person games owe their origins to Consoles. First Person Games are the legacy of PC gaming.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:56 am

ReconToaster wrote:
Vigil wrote:Indeed, I'm much more a console gamer than a PC, I truth, I've never played a PC FPS.

Sad, seeing as the genre originated on the PC...

I'm aware of that. I have the original Quake somewhere, I think I played that a bt as well, so that statement isn't completely correct.

I just more used to console controls now.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by L0d3x Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:07 am

Dud Doodoo wrote:
It only takes a mediocre PC to run the game on medium settings, which is still slightly above that of a 360. It's not that I prefer all my games on the PC, it's that Far Cry 2 is meant to be played on the PC, and believe me, it makes BIG difference.

I doubt medium settings on a mediocre PC surpass the 360.

I played Crysis on PC a while ago on medium settings, it still looked pretty great but is was nowhere near the quality I'm seeing with Far Cry 2 now. Now if only I had a decent tv...

And I'm sure it was created mainly with the PC in mind, though like I already said, some people actually are better with a controller (and driving vehicles is certainly easier with a controller).

Y'all are just a bunch of PC fanboys if you can't accept the fact that some actually prefer console shooters.

L0d3x
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:46 am

I know they are more PC oriented, the amount of times they mentioned SC or other big PC RTS titles.

The main problem is the half-price deal is for the console versions only, and I'm not going to pay full price for a game I'm not sure about.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:19 am

L0d3x wrote:And I'm sure it was created mainly with the PC in mind, though like I already said, some people actually are better with a controller (and driving vehicles is certainly easier with a controller).

I'll give you that. It's just as easy with mouse and keys... but it doesn't feel as good.

L0d3x wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of PC fanboys if you can't accept the fact that some actually prefer console shooters.

Sad
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:12 am

ReconToaster wrote:
L0d3x wrote:And I'm sure it was created mainly with the PC in mind, though like I already said, some people actually are better with a controller (and driving vehicles is certainly easier with a controller).

I'll give you that. It's just as easy with mouse and keys... but it doesn't feel as good.

L0d3x wrote:Y'all are just a bunch of PC fanboys if you can't accept the fact that some actually prefer console shooters.

Sad

I wouldn't worry I'm a 360 fanboy Very Happy
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down