Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

+3
KristallNacht
Death no More
Vtrooper
7 posters

Go down

CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured Empty CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

Post by Vtrooper Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:18 pm

Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured Empty Re: CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

Post by Death no More Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:53 pm

It still needs to be confirmed with other tests but I think they found something very interesting, it changes what we thought we know about science if this turns out to be true. They've been checking the data for a while though so I have the feeling they are right. 50 nanoseconds faster is a minuscule amount of time but with how fast light travels that translates into a large distance.

Last edited by Death no More on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured Empty Re: CERN claims faster-than-light particle measured

Post by KristallNacht Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:54 pm

theoretically though, doesn't the theory of relativity kind of suggest something that goes fast than light, can time travel?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:24 pm

Essentially. But I believe it also suggested that anything approaching light speed would basically be converted into light, the closer it got to light speed.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:15 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Essentially. But I believe it also suggested that anything approaching light speed would basically be converted into light, the closer it got to light speed.
No, that's not in the theory.
As you approach the speed of light, you experience time and mass dilation.
Traveling faster than the speed of light would violate causality, so I'm definitely interested in this.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:54 pm

Well from what I learned in my Astronomy class, If you reach the speed of light you will, theoretically, turn into energy. Which can be light. But anyway, we've suspected for a while now that there are particles that travel faster then light *cough*tachyon*cough* but since they are moving so fast we just can't detect them. I don't really see this as being a huge deal.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbbachello Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:53 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:Essentially. But I believe it also suggested that anything approaching light speed would basically be converted into light, the closer it got to light speed.

I was told that as you approach light speed your mass increases and once you achieve it your mass becomes infinite so you need infinite energy to maintain it which at the moment is unachievable
Barbbachello
Barbbachello
Minion

Male Number of posts : 877
Registration date : 2009-06-15

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:48 am

Barbbachello wrote:

I was told that as you approach light speed your mass increases and once you achieve it your mass becomes infinite so you need infinite energy to maintain it which at the moment is unachievable

But then your mass transforms into energy, which has no mass and therefore can travel faster than the speed of light.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down