Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It Get's Better Project

+15
Ringleader
GreyApothecary
KrAzY
Ascendant Justice
Felix
Elabajaba
Nocbl2
Onyxknight
dragoon9105
Vigil
KristallNacht
Kasrkin Seath
Rotaretilbo
Dud Doodoo
Gauz
19 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

It Get's Better Project Empty It Get's Better Project

Post by Gauz Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:02 pm

http://www.itgetsbetterproject.com/

Justin Aeberg. Billy Lucas. Cody Barker. Asher Brown. Seth Walsh. Raymond Chase. Tyler Clementi. All the names of American teenagers who in recent months have taken their own lives after being bullied in school.

For too long, LGBT youth have been forced to struggle through their formative years suffering from bullies in their schools, churches and homes — and with no support system to provide them any help.

Statistics
9 out of 10 LGBT students have experienced harassment at school.
◦LGBT teens are bullied 2 to 3 times as much as straight teens.
◦More than 1/3 of LGBT kids have attempted to commit suicide.
◦LGBT kids are 4 times as likely to attempt suicide then our straight peers.
◦LGBT youth with “highly rejecting” families are 8 times more likely to attempt suicide than those whose families accept them.

It would mean a lot to many people if you took this pledge/oath. It simply shows your support of the LGBT community, if you do. The president himself has made a video to show his own support for the LGBT community. Never before has a previous president has ever done that. The lives of LGBT people in America will change for better soon, but we need the help of everyone in order to truly accomplish that.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

It Get's Better Project Empty Re: It Get's Better Project

Post by Dud Doodoo Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:14 pm

I don't support them. Not that I condemn them to death, and I agree that people should at the very least leave them alone. However, this whole thing is fucking stupid.

I think people need to realize that this problem is not limited to gays or bisexuals, and that creating groups, protests, awareness campaigns, etc for one specific group out of the entire pool of teenagers that take their lives due to bullying is insulting. My school protests against the bullying of gays and bisexuals two times a year yet I never hear a soul mention the vast amount of others outside of that group.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:29 pm

All teenagers who ever get bullied already has their own campaign i'm sure. Not to mention LGBT get overlooked when it comes to that. What you're saying is too broad.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:19 pm

Are you kidding me? I've sure there are activists against teen suicide in general, but to even suggest that the general group gets as much attention as this small subsection within that group would be an outright lie.

Not only this, but the majority of gays are not only socially accepted in high school but are given a gross surplus of attention from the opposite sex. Attention, I might add, that so many of them hold so dear. I wish not to insult those in the population that are legitimately attracted to the same sex by some obscure genetic anomaly. However, far too many gay or bisexual guys go out of their way to cross dress, speak in a "gay voice", or so flamboyantly call attention to their homosexuality by some other means. Simply being a bisexual female is an instant social status improvement, and I have never heard of a lesbian being made fun of.

The attention seekers I speak of make up the majority of those promoting the campaign, not the legitimate gays who tend to get bullied. As with many other minorities, these people preach of how they are the victims of a hateful, intolerant society and should be catered to. In reality, only a fraction of them have actually been persecuted for something they cannot help.

I mean not to insult the LGBT community, but I must make it clear that not only should we never put a small subsection of teenage suicides above the entirety of the group, but that even if we were to, the LGBT is not where we should be looking.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 am

As I recall, many schools observe a Day of Silence of bullied LGBTs. I can't think of any other social group that might be prone to bullying that gets its own Awareness Day.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:11 am

Well... I'll support it, but I think the whole damn thing is blown out of proportion
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:19 am

For example, when was the last time you heard about nerd bullying awareness? We're like the iconic stereotype for bullying!
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:28 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:For example, when was the last time you heard about nerd bullying awareness? We're like the iconic stereotype for bullying!
I've actually never heard about it Razz
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:41 am

y'all niggas is gay.

and this threads purpose is just supporting the pussy-ization of our nation.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:32 am

I personally wouldn't support this.

I was bullied for quite a lot of my school life, mainly because I was shy quiet, and clever. I had to fight my Primary school tooth and nail because they wouldn't accept that my bulling was real and they should do something to resolve it. I basically had to show it to the Headmaster DIRECTLY TO HIS FUCKING FACE for him to get off his ass about it.

Now where was my awareness day or rallies to defend me?

Bulling affects any group the purpetator thinks is different, sure Homosexuals do fall into this category, but so do Nerds, Goths, Emo's etc.

Ironically, Bulling is relatively a mutli ethinic and equality based practice.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:39 am

Basically, if you are not the 'norm' you get bullied
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:59 pm

Kasrkin Seath wrote:Basically, if you are not the 'norm' you get bullied
unless you have an outer shield of fake friends to make it seam like your popular even if your not in the norm
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:03 pm

It takes many layers of such shielding to become immune to bullying. And generally speaking, fake friends are hard to acquire when you're not in the norm.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:07 pm

Idk, I just shielded myself with a bunch of other equally-wierd people
theres strength in numbers, ya know
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Xbox live helps. Alot, at least in my school it did.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:Are you kidding me? I've sure there are activists against teen suicide in general, but to even suggest that the general group gets as much attention as this small subsection within that group would be an outright lie.

Not only this, but the majority of gays are not only socially accepted in high school but are given a gross surplus of attention from the opposite sex. Attention, I might add, that so many of them hold so dear. I wish not to insult those in the population that are legitimately attracted to the same sex by some obscure genetic anomaly. However, far too many gay or bisexual guys go out of their way to cross dress, speak in a "gay voice", or so flamboyantly call attention to their homosexuality by some other means. Simply being a bisexual female is an instant social status improvement, and I have never heard of a lesbian being made fun of.
A majority of gays are accepted? Says who?

dud wrote:The attention seekers I speak of make up the majority of those promoting the campaign, not the legitimate gays who tend to get bullied.
So you wont support the cause because you think that most of the ones that DO support it annoy you? Nice.
dud wrote:As with many other minorities, these people preach of how they are the victims of a hateful, intolerant society and should be catered to. In reality, only a fraction of them have actually been persecuted for something they cannot help.
No, they actually are bullied, a lot, that's why this started in the first place.

Dud wrote:I mean not to insult the LGBT community, but I must make it clear that not only should we never put a small subsection of teenage suicides above the entirety of the group, but that even if we were to, the LGBT is not where we should be looking.
I think it should be... considering we dont give those people all the rights they SHOULD have.

Vigil wrote:I personally wouldn't support this.
We're off to a good start.

Vigil wrote:I was bullied for quite a lot of my school life, mainly because I was shy quiet, and clever. I had to fight my Primary school tooth and nail because they wouldn't accept that my bulling was real and they should do something to resolve it. I basically had to show it to the Headmaster DIRECTLY TO HIS FUCKING FACE for him to get off his ass about it.

So because YOU didn't have any awareness day or support you wont show support for anyone else that may or may not need it?

Vigil wrote:Bulling affects any group the purpetator thinks is different, sure Homosexuals do fall into this category, but so do Nerds, Goths, Emo's etc.

Nerds, Goths, Emo's and geeks can all get married.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Gays not supported??? come to my school it has gays.lesbians bies, and they're accepted just fine. and there are some flamboyant people in my school and they are treated like the normal group. if anything its the nerds or geeks who are most bullied.
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:58 pm

Onyxknight wrote:Gays not supported??? come to my school it has gays.lesbians bies, and they're accepted just fine. and there are some flamboyant people in my school and they are treated like the normal group. if anything its the nerds or geeks who are most bullied.
That's nice, but i'm afraid your school isn't the only highschool in the world.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:36 pm

I know a fair number of LGBTs at my school and through family and other friends.

None of them are getting bullied, not at all.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:05 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:I know a fair number of LGBTs at my school and through family and other friends.

Am I not making myself clear?

Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:07 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:I know a fair number of LGBTs at my school and through family and other friends.

Exact same thing in all the schools in my area.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:09 pm

FYI: There is a world outside all your schools and communities!
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:36 pm

I support this, however do not condone the group (or any specific group)
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:56 pm

I'll support this as well.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:00 pm

Gauz wrote:A majority of gays are accepted? Says who?

From observations I have personally made at school, I do. After reading the responses in this thread, I'm not the only one either. TCF represents very wide range of separate locations in the US and otherwise. If this was an isolated community that drew its members from a rather homogeneous population, the validity of these claims could easily be questioned. This is not the case.

Gauz wrote: So you wont support the cause because you think that most of the ones that DO support it annoy you? Nice.
And here you must rely on misrepresentation as the only means to support your position. This has been taken out of context. I never said that it annoyed me, nor that this was the reason I don't support your "cause". I was speaking of how this whole campaign is at its core, an attention act put forth by those who are NOT being bullied into suicide. If it wasn't an attempt to victimize themselves, then why the hell would they gear it towards a specific fraction of all teenagers who take their lives?

Gauz wrote: No, they actually are bullied, a lot, that's why this started in the first place.
Some are, but most aren't. And no, this started because of an attention craving. If it wasn't, it would be focused on solving teen suicide as a whole, not just teen suicide among gays. Does being gay instantly elevate you to a higher importance than the majority of other teenagers who kill themselves because of bullying?

Gauz wrote: I think it should be... considering we dont give those people all the rights they SHOULD have.
Bullshit. They have all the rights in the fucking world, and are catered to far more than the average person because this generation is overly sensitive to discrimination, to the point where we have passed into positive discrimination. This is just as bad. Why should someone be considered special because they go out of their way to draw attention to themselves?

Gauz wrote:
Vigil wrote:I personally wouldn't support this.
We're off to a good start.
I think you read that wrong.

Gauz wrote:
Vigil wrote:I was bullied for quite a lot of my school life, mainly because I was shy quiet, and clever. I had to fight my Primary school tooth and nail because they wouldn't accept that my bulling was real and they should do something to resolve it. I basically had to show it to the Headmaster DIRECTLY TO HIS FUCKING FACE for him to get off his ass about it.

So because YOU didn't have any awareness day or support you wont show support for anyone else that may or may not need it?
No, he's saying that there is no reason why we should ignore the majority of bully victims in favor of exlusively campaigning for a minority group.

Gauz wrote:
Vigil wrote:Bulling affects any group the purpetator thinks is different, sure Homosexuals do fall into this category, but so do Nerds, Goths, Emo's etc.

Nerds, Goths, Emo's and geeks can all get married.
Yes, as marriage is the union between man and woman, and social groups mentioned above seek relationships with their sexual counterparts. It has nothing to do with denying a group a basic right, but more to do with the fact that "gay marriage" is an oxymoron. A partnership between two members of the same sex? Fine. Gay marriage? There is not and could not be such a thing.

Either way, this is irrelevant to why they should have an anti bullying campaign for themselves that trumps that for teenage suicides as a whole. That is my point and you have yet to address it.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next