Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3D Alien Prequels???

+4
Vigil
Divine Virus
PiEdude
Ringleader
8 posters

Go down

3D Alien Prequels??? Empty 3D Alien Prequels???

Post by Ringleader Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:20 pm

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa????
http://screenrant.com/ridley-scott-alien-prequel-details-sandy-64396/

So it's about the merger between Weyland and Yutani, and I guess the backstory to the Space Jockeys. Because EVERYTHING needs a backstory...

I don't blame his choice though, There ain't a whole lot to make an alien prequel about. I guess we get to see what happens on the cargo ship before it crash lands, now won't we Rasq?

3D technology may be the way of the future, but He's Ridley Scott, he's got his target audience in the bag already, no need to alienate them with silly, eye popping 3D effects.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

3D Alien Prequels??? Empty Re: 3D Alien Prequels???

Post by PiEdude Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:28 pm

Well, at least Ridley Scott's making them.

Though, I would prefer James Cameron.

And yes Ring, EVERYTHING does need a backstory.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:29 pm

Yeah, I made a thread about this a good while ago. At the time, I don't think they mentioned 3D. But at this time, it's almost a given.

I hope they choose not to make it 3D. It will probably just hold it back if they do. Predators had no 3D and never intented to from the start. And it worked out great. Imagine if they did, we'd get shots of Predators thowing spears at the screen and their arm blades coming right at us. No doubt humans would be doing the same with their guns.

Yeah, if Alien prequals happen, hope no 3D but if there is, I'll still see it. It is Ridley Scott after all. Smile

As far as backstory, wouldn't it be interesting to see some deeper meaning/origin/backstory to the Xenomorpths rather then them just being really good survining animals? I think it would be. But that's just me.

Last edited by Divine Virus on Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:40 pm

Yeah I remember hearing about this a while ago.

A little peaved about the 3-D thing. It's a desperate gimmick trying to keep the theatre industry alive.

It didn't work in the 50's and it won't work now.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:41 pm

Ringleader wrote:Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa????
http://screenrant.com/ridley-scott-alien-prequel-details-sandy-64396/

So it's about the merger between Weyland and Yutani, and I guess the backstory to the Space Jockeys. Because EVERYTHING needs a backstory...
Yes, Ringleader. Everything needs a backstory.

Ringleader wrote:I don't blame his choice though, There ain't a whole lot to make an alien prequel about. I guess we get to see what happens on the cargo ship before it crash lands, now won't we Rasq?
The Space Jockeys are a race of omnicidal maniacs who have taken the sane route to survival in outer space. The sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

Ringleader wrote:3D technology may be the way of the future, but He's Ridley Scott, he's got his target audience in the bag already, no need to alienate them with silly, eye popping 3D effects.
So far, all 3D films have been offered in 2D. Why not?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:11 pm

No, everything definitely does not need a backstory...

Here are some testimonials for people who understand this:
Ijust hope he doesn’t touch on the Alien’s origins and completely ruin the creature.
As I read this post I wished Ridley Scott kept his mouth zipped.
I don’t NEED to know where the Space Jockey came from (film wise), nor do you. I don’t NEED to know where the Aliens came from.

Some things are best left to mystery.

As for space exploring, I wished he kept mum about that too- for the other reason. It’s such a good idea, why spoil it?

The only good thing is that these films will abolish the AvP abominations, after this summer’s Predators helps out in that department.

So, the 'comic book' definition of a Space Jockey is some kind of evil, planet raping alien that drops xenomorphs on fledgling planets because they think it's funny or something, but nothing in the surprisingly revealing reveal of the Space Jockey in Alien supported this. Firstly the presentation of the Space Jockey fossil, it was sitting/laying down on it's back, in a completely harmless repose no less. It's a pretty big life form, and large creatures are not known for scrappy, aggressive behavior which would translate to their interstellar policy I'd bet. For a civilization to escape their planet, they probably have to be somewhat civilized, even the Predators only hunted for a reason, and I'd wager that they would kill each other with nuclear missiles before they killed off entire entire planets with advanced bioweapons.

So, what would be a more reasonable portrayal of the Space Jockey? As benign, peaceful explorers that work for a living and don't kill millions of people for no reason.

There is literally a million different explanations as to why they were ferrying Xenomorph eggs to wherever. They could have been seeding a desolate planet, for all we know, that could have been their livestock and they were tacking down a new colony, the point is, putting it into the scope of human understanding makes for a pretty weak backstory, I'm sure their intentions would have been far more alien then would have made sense to us (at least they should be, for a convincing, realistic story), which is again why something like this is better left a mystery.

The Space Jockeys are a race of omnicidal maniacs who have taken the sane route to survival in outer space. The sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.
ACCORDING TO A F&^$@#% COMIC BOOK!!!

It would be like if Bungie 343 STUDIOS came out and explained the origins of the Forerunner, and they turned out to be some kind of space snail creature, well not really, I'm sure they couldn't mess things up that badly, but the point is, no matter how well they explain the origins, they bulldoze over the mystique. Mystery is an important part of every story and although some things should be elaborated in later installments, other things shouldn't.

So far, all 3D films have been offered in 2D. Why not?
No particular reason, it's just a confusing act on his part, 3D films usually cater to a certain type of moviegoer, not normally the ones that appreciate Alien as a Sci-Fi Horror as much as a minimally action intense movie.

*Rasq enjoys the thought of the Alien face popping out of the screen, and then the tongue popping out even farther*
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:59 pm

Divine Virus wrote:

I hope they choose not to make it 3D. It will probably just hold it back if they do. Predators had no 3D and never intented to from the start. And it worked out great. Imagine if they did, we'd get shots of Predators thowing spears at the screen and their arm blades coming right at us. No doubt humans would be doing the same with their guns.

you haven't seen a 3D movie lately have you? all that shit is pretty much done with.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:38 pm

Ridley Scott as director? This could go either way. I mean, I love Scott as a director, but his main focus is historical fiction movies, so I'm left wondering how he's going to adapt to Sci-Fi.
So yeah, I'm not really sure if it's going to be good or bad at this point, only time will tell.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:39 pm

Gold Spartan wrote:Ridley Scott as director? This could go either way. I mean, I love Scott as a director, but his main focus is historical fiction movies, so I'm left wondering how he's going to adapt to Sci-Fi.
So yeah, I'm not really sure if it's going to be good or bad at this point, only time will tell.

He did the original Alien movie.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:40 pm

PiEdude wrote:
Gold Spartan wrote:Ridley Scott as director? This could go either way. I mean, I love Scott as a director, but his main focus is historical fiction movies, so I'm left wondering how he's going to adapt to Sci-Fi.

In case you missed that. Razz
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

Gold Spartan wrote:
PiEdude wrote:

In case you missed that. Razz

What?
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:28 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
Divine Virus wrote:

you haven't seen a 3D movie lately have you? all that shit is pretty much done with.
No it's not. They still do it.

@Ring: Needs a backstory. Very Happy
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Ridley Scott is older now, and therefore a lot more likely to screw up.
3D Alien Prequels??? Original

This has to be one of the dumbest things you have ever said.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Ring, Ridley may be old, but he's still a great director.
Lets just hope this isn't as awful as most prequels are.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Offensive Bias Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm getting really annoyed at everything being 3D now. 3D glasses don't even work with me, because I have a problem with one of my eyes.
Offensive Bias
Offensive Bias
Minion

Male Number of posts : 416
Registration date : 2009-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:47 pm

I'm pretty sure there will be a 2d option, no need to get offensively biased.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:04 am

All I know is Ridley's latest movies seem to be doing well.

The latest I've seen by him was Body of Lies, I thought that was a great movie.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:48 pm

Offensive Bias wrote:3D glasses don't even work with me, because I have a problem with one of my eyes.
Same here.

They work sometimes, but only the kind I had to use to watch Avatar, the ones that don't just use red for one eye and blue for the other. One eye is weaker, so my brain has adapted to predominantly using the other.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Ringleader wrote:Ridley Scott is older now, and therefore a lot more likely to screw up.

Are you fucking high?

Have you even seen a Scorsese film lately?
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:53 pm

Well, statistically speaking, there are a lot more directors screwing up now then back in the day.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down