Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway

+7
Nocbl2
MrX
Death no More
PiEdude
Angatar
Gauz
Ruski
11 posters

Go down

Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway Empty Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway

Post by Ruski Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:22 am

As from http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/eu_russia_subway_blast

MOSCOW – Two female suicide bombers blew themselves up Monday in twin attacks on Moscow subway stations jam-packed with rush-hour passengers, killing at least 37 people and wounding 102, officials said. They blamed the carnage on rebels from the Caucasus region.

The blasts come six years after Caucasus Islamic separatists carried out a pair of deadly Moscow subway strikes and raise concerns that the war has once again come to Russia's capital, amid militants' warnings of a renewed determination to push their fight.

Chechen rebels claimed responsibility for a deadly bombing late last year on a passenger train en route from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who built much of his political capital by directing a fierce war with Chechen separatists a decade ago, vowed Monday that "terrorists will be destroyed."

The first explosion took place just before 8 a.m. at the Lubyanka station in central Moscow. The station is underneath the building that houses the main offices of the Federal Security Service, or FSB, the KGB's main successor agency.

A second explosion hit the Park Kultury station about 45 minutes later.

"I heard a bang, turned my head and smoke was everywhere. People ran for the exits screaming," said 24-year-old Alexander Vakulov, who said he was on a train on the platform opposite the targeted train at Park Kultury.

"I saw a dead person for the first time in my life," said 19-year-old Valentin Popov, who had just arrived at the station from the opposite direction.

The iconic Moscow subway system is one of the world's busiest, carrying around 7 million passengers on an average workday, and is a key element in running the sprawling and traffic-choked city.

Russian TV showed amateur video from inside the Lubyanka station of wounded and possibly dead victims sitting and lying on the floor. The train platform was filled with smoke.

Outside both stations, passengers flooded out, many of them crying and making frantic calls on their cell phones. The wounded were loaded into ambulances and helicopters, some with their heads wrapped in bloody bandages, as sirens wailed.

The last confirmed terrorist attack in Moscow was in August 2004, when a suicide bomber blew herself up outside a city subway station, killing 10 people. Responsibility for that blast was claimed by Chechen rebels.

Russian police have killed several Islamic militant leaders in the North Caucasus recently, including one last week in the Kabardino-Balkariya region. The killing of Anzor Astemirov was mourned by contributors to two al-Qaida-affiliated Web sites.

The killings have raised fears of retaliatory strikes by the militants.

In February, Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov warned in an interview on a rebel-affiliated Web site that "the zone of military operations will be extended to the territory of Russia ... the war is coming to their cities."

Umarov also claimed his fighters were responsible for the November bombing of the Nevsky Express passenger train that killed 26 people en route from Moscow to St. Petersburg.

Emergency Minister Sergei Shoigu said the toll was 37 killed and 102 injured, but he did not give a breakdown of casualties at each station.

In a televised meeting with President Dmitry Medvedev, Federal Security Service head Alexander Bortnikov said body fragments of the two bombers pointed to a Caucasus connection. He did not elaborate.

"We will continue the fight against terrorism unswervingly and to the end," Medvedev said.

Neither he nor Putin, who was on an official trip in Siberia, announced specific measures and it was not clear if Russia has new strategies to unleash in the Caucasus, where violent separatism has spread from Chechnya into neighboring republics.

Although the Russian army battered Chechen rebels in massive assaults a decade ago, the separatists continue to move through the region's mountains and forests with comparative ease and launch frequent small attacks.

New York's transit system beefed up security as a precaution following the Moscow bombings. A spokesman for New York's Metropolitan Transportation Authority, Kevin Ortiz, said the agency has a "heightened security presence," but declined further comment.

The agency is in charge of New York City buses and subways, as well as suburban trains, and bridges and tunnels.

The Moscow blasts practically paralyzed movement in the city center as emergency vehicles sped to the stations.

In the Park Kultury blast, the bomber was wearing a belt packed with plastic explosive and set it off as the train's doors opened, said Vladimir Markin, a spokesman for Russia's top investigative body. The woman has not been identified, he told reporters.

A woman who sells newspapers outside the Lubyanka station, Ludmila Famokatova, said there appeared to be no panic, but that many of the people who streamed out were distraught.

"One man was weeping, crossing himself, saying 'thank God I survived'," she said.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway Empty Re: Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway

Post by Gauz Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:37 am

Ruski is now a russian informant.

That must really suck (no comment please). I mean, you're just going on with your buisness, and two bitches blow the fuck out of the subway. This just proves that not even the metro is safe

Russia is fucked.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway Empty Re: Double suicide bombings kill 37 on Moscow subway

Post by Angatar Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:58 am

They just can't catch a break, can they? They hide underground from the killer icicles only to be blown up by terrorists.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Angatar wrote:They just can't catch a break, can they? They hide underground from the killer icicles only to be blown up by terrorists.

That's terrible, but I still lol'd.

Anyway, that's awful (the attack I mean). It says that this came from Caucasus? I think my Government teacher (who is now my Econ teacher this semester, thanks to budget cuts) told us about this last semester. How the Islamic region (Caucasus) wants to separate from Russia.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:09 pm

Angatar wrote:They just can't catch a break, can they? They hide underground from the killer icicles only to be blown up by terrorists.
Oh god that was funny Laughing

Razz
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 pm

Gauz wrote:
Oh god that was funny Laughing

Razz
lol it is. Dang... stupid terrorists.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:57 pm

PiEdude wrote:

That's terrible, but I still lol'd.

Anyway, that's awful (the attack I mean). It says that this came from Caucasus? I think my Government teacher (who is now my Econ teacher this semester, thanks to budget cuts) told us about this last semester. How the Islamic region (Caucasus) wants to separate from Russia.

Chechen rebels are responsible for the attack.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:22 pm

LOL
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:13 pm

sargentbilco wrote:LOL
Why do you love it when innocent people die or are hurt?
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by MrX Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 pm

because im not Very Happy

it just shows how lucky i am and it makes me happy to know that
MrX
MrX
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3080
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:15 pm

Way to play into your stereotype Ruski.

Still sad though.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:59 pm

Vigil wrote:Way to play into your stereotype Ruski.

Still sad though.
Beat me to it.

Out of curiousity, has anyone ever been banned from The Crimson Flame?
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:37 pm

LH Justin

SOCOM
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:16 pm

sargentbilco wrote:because im not Very Happy

it just shows how lucky i am and it makes me happy to know that

Please, just go away.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Gauz wrote:LH Justin

SOCOM

You forgot one...
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am

PiEdude wrote:
Gauz wrote:LH Justin

SOCOM

You forgot one...
They're still banned if I'm not wrong.
You've just been banned a bajillion times but you're not permabanned so you don't count Razz
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:01 am

Russia's Medvedev promises 'crueler' measures

By ARSEN MOLLAYEV, Associated Press Writer

MAKHACHKALA, Russia – President Dmitry Medvedev made a surprise visit Thursday to the violence-wracked southern province of Dagestan, telling police and security forces to use tougher, "more cruel" measures to fight the "scum" responsible for terrorist attacks.

In his dress — a black T-shirt under a black suit coat — and rough language, Medvedev was following the lead of Russia's powerful prime minister, Vladimir Putin.

Twin suicide bombings this week in Moscow — which Islamic militants from the North Caucasus claim to have carried out — has refocused attention on the violence that for years has been confined to the predominantly Muslim republics in Russia's southern corner.

An explosion Thursday morning killed two suspected militants and wounded a third in Dagestan near the border with Chechnya. Police said the men may have been transporting a makeshift bomb. The day before, two suicide bombings in Dagestan killed 12 people, including nine policemen, a frequent target of attacks because they represent Russian authority.

The suicide bombings on the Moscow subway killed 39 people on Monday and have left nearly 90 hospitalized.

Federal Security Service director Alexander Bortnikov said the organizers of the Moscow attacks have been identified as "bandits" from the Northern Caucasus, and some have been detained.

"We know the personalities of organizers," he said in televised remarks. "We have detained a number of people, conducted interrogations, got evidence."

Medvedev said much more needed to be done to stop the attacks.

"The measures to fight terrorism should be expanded, they should be more effective, more harsh, more cruel," he said during a televised meeting with local officials.

In recent months, police and security forces have killed at least two high-profile Islamic militants, but they have been unable to capture the veteran Chechen militant Doku Umarov, who has claimed responsibility for the Moscow subway attacks.

"We have torn of the heads of the most notorious bandits, but clearly this was not enough. In any case, we will find them all and punish them," Medvedev said.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down