Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Homeworld Remakes

+2
Vigil
KristallNacht
6 posters

Go down

Homeworld Remakes Empty Homeworld Remakes

Post by KristallNacht Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:16 am

so, notorious video game company super villian Gearbox has said they are workign on high quality modern remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2.

Your thoughts?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Homeworld Remakes Empty Re: Homeworld Remakes

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:18 am

The problem with Gearbox is their a company of two extremes of quality, either it's pretty solid and fun like Borderlands and Brothers in Arms, or it's a complete disaster like Colonial Marines and Duke Nukem.

If it's a simple port and uprezing job, it'll be difficult for them to mess that up... hopefully.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:20 am

gearbox is generally good, they did the Halo PC port and Borderlands which are both great, I wouldnt call them supervillians just because they dropped the ball on colonial marines (likely due to publishers pushing for a too-quick deadline)
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:30 am

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:gearbox is generally good, they did the Halo PC port and Borderlands which are both great, I wouldnt call them supervillians just because they dropped the ball on colonial marines (likely due to publishers pushing for a too-quick deadline)

Ehh...kinda a grey area there, as a lot of the talk post release from alledged inside sources (Which legitmatecy can easily be questioned) that Gearbox took Sega's money for the game and put into making the first Borderlands game, which is why the game was so delayed. I think Sega at one point was threating to sue them for this.

There's also a lot of questions about false advertising lying around as the E3 demo from a year or two ago, looks and plays significantly better than the same area in the shipped in the final copy.

Throw some accusations of plagiarism for Borderlands 1+2 (For stealing the premise from an animated movie I've completely forgotten the name off and the inside box art being stolen from an artist online, which they did acknowledge and sort out). There has been some real ugly stories written about them in the last few months. We'll see if they can bounce back from this.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:00 am

"stole the premise"

as if every premise for a story hasnt already been told in one way or another before, people get accusations of stealing premises all the time, if they actually win a lawsuit about it then there is maybe something but there is not one successful game/story who hasnt had someone say that they came up with the idea first. borderlands is just the road warrior in space, not exactly a ground breaking premise anyways.

as for the false advertising, I doubt gearbox had their hand in marketing at all, that is a publishers job, not a developers, whoever the publisher was probably asked for a "what you hope the game will look like" video and then they marketed that as the finished game, that happens all the time as well.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:13 am

From what I recall (It's been a while since I read the original article) the issue was the artstyle, character designs and story were pretty much identical to those found in Borderlands, which is why the creator took offense. The line between homage/inspiration and theft is pretty thin, so I can see the argument either way.

I think it was a 2K marketing gaff, as Gearbox got it sorted pretty quickly, as they didn't seem aware of it at the time. A similar kinda thing was thrown against Naughty Dog as a Tube Map in the Last of Us seemed to be an exact copy of a custom one on some map maker's website. It's probably just a simple mistake in what the artist probably thought was the offical metro map, and didn't check the sources. Happens all the time.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:47 pm

And about advertising not matchimg the final game, look at every halo video. Lots pf the advertising isn't even canon!
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jul 22, 2013 1:00 pm

Wasn't the canon but that they showed an exact scene side by side with the game and the demo looks like a final fixed up product and the actual game looks like a Beta build.

They spent a fuck ton of time making this demo to look good and then the game was no where even CLOSE to the quality of the DEMO that came out a YEAR OR TWO before hand.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:08 pm

http://blackbirdinteractive.com/

The game formerly known as Hardware: Shipbreakers was allowed to use the Homeworld license by Gearbox a few weeks ago. The game will no longer be f2p now with Gearbox helping them out. From the trailers, it looks decent. Not a whole lot to go on now though.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:14 pm

http://www.homeworldremastered.com/

If anyone still has any interest in these games, Homeworld 1+2 are getting hd remakes from gearbox. Might finally go through and beat the campaigns when they're released.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JumpingJet Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:03 pm

I've got my heart set on these remakes Smile

Managed to get a copy on Homeworld 1 and spent an entire weeks leave from work playing it, I then lost in when moving house :/

Can't find a decent copy of #2 anywhere so I'm looking forward to this Smile
JumpingJet
JumpingJet
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: