Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Man of Steel

+6
Lord Pheonix
dragoon9105
CivBase
Rotaretilbo
KrAzY
Rasq'uire'laskar
10 posters

Go down

Man of Steel Empty Man of Steel

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:20 pm

Ok. Watched it last night and I have a question.

Did we finally get a great Superman film?
The original Superman movie was good, but still campy. I mean, Lex Luthor's organization totaled three people, including himself and his girlfriend. =P

This time around, the movie is aware of how unrealistic Superman is, but they're playing it straight and making it work. Superman's name and his symbol were nicely lampshaded, but used well. Clark Kent is too much of a humble Kansas farmboy to call himself Superman, so others bestow the name upon him. His symbol is a Kryptonian symbol for hope (Is there something similar in the comics, or has it always been 'S for Superman'?) that coincidentally happens to look like an S.

My only complaint was how boring the superhero origin story was at times. Great editing saved it by spreading it throughout the movie via flashbacks, so we didn't have to sit through it all at once.

Anyhoo, Russel Crowe was great as Jor-El, and Toombs was awesome as General Zod. And Faora... hottest female character ever to star in a superhero movie, hands down.

Thoughts?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Man of Steel Empty Re: Man of Steel

Post by KrAzY Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:33 am

I'm not going to see it, superman is already the most boring superhero in my opinion and your review is the first positive one I have read.

maybe ill rent it once its out on dvd.

if any of yall think it is worth the money, please try to convince me to see it, I havnt seen a decent movie in theatres in months (more because I rarely see movies in theatres than because of bad films)
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:12 am

Iron Man's assistant was awarded hottest female ever or something like that not a few months back, so unless she is Faora, I contest your claim! That is all I have to add.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:43 am

All I know is that I only cared about the last superman because I actually knew the actor.  Had no plans to see this one but if it ends up being decent, I might rent it like Mr.Inferior of the two Admins said.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I might just check this out then.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:36 pm

Too busy reading OUTBOUND FLIGHT.

IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING RASQ.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:28 pm

I was actually surprised by this movie.  I expected it to be a lot worse than it actually was.  Dare I say that I enjoyed this movie?!  Well I did.  This is definitely one Ill be picking up on DVD when it comes out.  Soooo much better than some of the other releases Ive seen this year like After Earth and Oblivion.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm

Honestly, i was expecting something great (i had heard that it was the same guy as Inception and The Dark Knight), and was sorely, sorely dissappointed.  I thought it was godawful.

The cinematography was beautiful, i'll admit.  But i never at any point in the movie found myself caring for any of the characters, least of all Superman.  It's fitting that he was an alien, cause he certainly didn't feel human, neither did the others.  They kept using flashbacks and screwing with the chronology, which could have been interesting but instead left me with a really minimal view of what drove any of the characters.  A lot of the plot points seemed contrived.  Some of the lines were absolutely awful.  Any individual scene felt pretty good and could have been awesome, but they felt disjointed, like the writers wanted to write really big moments, but didn't feel like writing anything to get from point to point.

It's also a great demonstration of why Superman needs Kryptonite.  There was no real Kryptonite, so most of the time Superman was fundamentally indestructible.  The action scenes were filled with huge overblown shots that i never really cared about, since all of the participants were never in any danger to begin with.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:37 pm

Saw it. Liked it.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:26 am

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Ok. Watched it last night and I have a question.

Did we finally get a great Superman film?
The original Superman movie was good, but still campy. I mean, Lex Luthor's organization totaled three people, including himself and his girlfriend. =P

This time around, the movie is aware of how unrealistic Superman is, but they're playing it straight and making it work. Superman's name and his symbol were nicely lampshaded, but used well. Clark Kent is too much of a humble Kansas farmboy to call himself Superman, so others bestow the name upon him. His symbol is a Kryptonian symbol for hope (Is there something similar in the comics, or has it always been 'S for Superman'?) that coincidentally happens to look like an S.

My only complaint was how boring the superhero origin story was at times. Great editing saved it by spreading it throughout the movie via flashbacks, so we didn't have to sit through it all at once.

Anyhoo, Russel Crowe was great as Jor-El, and Toombs was awesome as General Zod. And Faora... hottest female character ever to star in a superhero movie, hands down.

Thoughts?
 I agree with Rasq, this is the best Superman movie i've seen and Faora was pretty damn hot. Her fight scene vs the Special Forces in smallville was pretty fucking awesome too. Looked like Wesker from Resident Evil 5 which is an ability I fucking love if they make it look awesome (which they did).

I think this is the movie with the best superhero fighting i've ever seen, but that is considering that no one else has really done it and if they did it was an old ass movie. Avengers didn't have 2 superheros really duking it out cept for everyone vs hulk and that didn't feel like a real fight but more of a "oh fuck, run away". Hancock tried to do it but they didn't very well. Batman doesn't have any "Super" heros so it didn't happen there.

Superman vs Faora and Giant Fucking Krypton was one of the better super hero'd fights i've ever seen and I enjoyed the movie considering I didn't think much going in. Was long as FUCK being like 2 and a half hours though.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:15 pm

Are you kidding? Avengers had Captain America & Iron man vs Loki, Captain America & Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk, and Hulk vs Loki. And that's ignoring the huge battle scene at the end.

Superman has always and will always be an incredibly bland hero. A sort of Gary Stu whose only weaknesses are an incredibly rare McGuffin and being too nice of a guy. Even if there is a great fight scene in the movie, the rest of the movie was dull, the dialog predictable, the characters one-dimensional. It may have been better than past Superman movies, but the bar wasn't exactly set very high, now was it?
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:52 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Are you kidding? Avengers had Captain America & Iron man vs Loki, Captain America & Iron Man vs Thor, Thor vs Hulk, and Hulk vs Loki. And that's ignoring the huge battle scene at the end.
Oh god yes, Loki getting hit by his own blast, hit by a frisbee and punched in the face before hitting him with his staff then juking 2 of his punches for 2 1/2 seconds before kicked in the face before iron man showed up was one of the greatest fights of our millennium.

Captain America and iron man vs Thor was better but not that great.

Thor vs hulk was Hulk punched Thor through wall, Thor hit Hulk through Plane, Thor dodged plane wing, Hulk can't pick up hammer, Thor does a pansy fucking knee hit and attempts to choke out the Hulk before he smashes through the ceiling and then fucks off to fight planes. Not really a hall of fame fight.

Hulk picking up Loki and smashing him in all of 4 seconds isn't really a fight. Funny and a great moment, but not a fight.

And like I said about that last scene, SUPER heroes fighting does not include a bunch of super heroes beating the shit out of a few hundred disposable mooks by the dozen at a time. That was awesome and one of the best scenes in movies in a long while, but not what I was referring to previously.

Superman movie was the first movie where two Super powered people are duking it out and i'm like "fuck, they are strong and going the fuck at it" and not just "alright, two strong dudes fighting". Though the last fight vs Zod did feel like that.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:51 am

The Superman vs Faora fight was more like Superman getting his ass kicked because he's never actually been challenged before, and then Faora gets bored and goes and fights a bunch of disposable mooks. The scene is barely longer than the Iron Man/Captain America vs Thor fight, is considerably more one-sided, and repeatedly loses focus of the actual fight so that we can watch Faora fuck up some soldiers. Superman spends more time lying on the ground than he does fighting.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:20 am

I don't think you watched the same fight with Superman taking on both Faora and giant fucking mechanical man at the same time. He even grappled with both of them on the floor and used her as a bat to hit the big guy. That is not one sided and the whole fight in smallville was much longer than the 3 way in the woods in avengers.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:13 am

If you cut out Faora getting bored because Superman was getting his ass kicked so hard and fighting disposable mooks instead, the scene was maybe four or five minutes. The Iron Man/Captain America vs Thor scene was three or four minutes.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:43 pm

I can't believe that we are arguing about this. The fight scenes in Man of Steel were godly. As far as superhero movies go, I think it's second only to the Dark Knight.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:28 pm

The video you linked is just about 3 and a half minutes long and the fighting doesn't even start until 1 minute in and ended with another 30 second left in it. So really it's a 2 minute fight.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:I'm not going to see it, superman is already the most boring superhero in my opinion and your review is the first positive one I have read.
Honestly? I just don't get some of the negative reviews.

Some reviews criticized the lack of romance between Superman and Louis Lane. I just don't get that; the romance subplot is usually what drags superhero movies down. Thor was an excellent movie until Thor thanks (whatserface) for being his inspiration to do good and not be such a meathead. Captain America's relationship with the female lead worked better as a professional relationship than a personal one. Dark Knight Rises had no chemistry between Bruce Wayne and Talia Al-Ghul, but he sleeps with her because she just happens to know where he lives.

Superman and Louis Lane? Friends, allies, maybe a little more there, but it wasn't overplayed.

OK, there were other criticisms, but that was the one that annoyed me the most. Well, except for the Guardian review which accused MoS of being 'cryptofascist'. >.<

I'd recommend seeing this movie.
My only complaint with the movie was how some of the destruction scenes went over the top. Zod's final battle should have ended sooner and with slightly less collateral damage, and the battle over Krypton would have been good enough with precisely zero dragons being ridden.

Rotaretilbo wrote:If you cut out Faora getting bored because Superman was getting his ass kicked so hard and fighting disposable mooks instead, the scene was maybe four or five minutes. The Iron Man/Captain America vs Thor scene was three or four minutes.
Hey, Rot?

That last battle between Superman and Zod lasted three minutes longer than it should have. A fight scene between Faora and Superman that only lasts four or five minutes? Long. Enough.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 pm

I saw that dinosaur thing and I laughed out loud in the theater. Loudly. People I went with looked at me while I was saying "what is this shit?"
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone else part way through the Superman v Zod final fight think "oh man, this would be a fucking awesome Dragon Balll Z movie"?

Cause I totally did.

And it would.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content