Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mah Halo mods :(

+9
KristallNacht
Angatar
Elabajaba
Rasq'uire'laskar
CivBase
Felix
Lord Pheonix
KrAzY
Dud Doodoo
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Mah Halo mods :( - Page 2 Empty Re: Mah Halo mods :(

Post by KristallNacht Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:19 pm

CivBase wrote:I wish ComputerCraft used java... sure, it would absolutely destroy everything with lag... but java is niiiiiiice...

java is not nice. its clunky and laggy. Unity is a better browser based gaming engine
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:29 pm

Games and large programs in java are laggy because they operate through the Java virtual machine. You essentially run an operating system on an operating system. In addition to the added processing, the virtual machine is only allocated so much memory to work with.

It's a very very VERY pain-free language to write code in. It's powerful, adaptable, and programmer friendly. The virtual machine nature even allows it to work on almost any system. In fact, java-based systems like Android are fairly efficient (in theory) because you don't run into the OS-ception problem.

However, it's not memory efficient and is sometimes choked by the virtual machine.

It's not a good language to design games in, but it's great for the kinds of things one would do in Minecraft.

Lua was probably just easier to setup with ComputerCraft, more easily customization, and prevented the problem of having an OS (java) in an OS (craftOS) in an OS (java) in an OS (windows/mac/linux/whatever). With Lua, the first two OSs were essentially combined. With Java, the CraftOS shell would probably have to have been created from scratch, too.

Point is, Java is nice, but has its place. Don't you be dissin my favorite language.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:18 am

Just to be clear, are we talking about Java or javascript? I'm too lazy to educate myself.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:41 am

KristallNacht wrote:
CivBase wrote:I wish ComputerCraft used java... sure, it would absolutely destroy everything with lag... but java is niiiiiiice...

java is not nice. its clunky and laggy. Unity is a better browser based gaming engine

Now you're confusing engines and languages.

Rotaretilbo wrote:Just to be clear, are we talking about Java or javascript? I'm too lazy to educate myself.

Java

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:00 pm

For some reason, I associate javascript with the coffee mug, which is where my confusion stems from.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Javascript is heavily based on java, but it doesn't work outside of a web browser.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2