Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Afterlife

+11
Ringleader
RX
Elabajaba
KrAzY
Felix
TNine
tiny tim
A_Bearded_Swede
Gauz
Lord Pheonix
BBJynne
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Afterlife Empty Afterlife

Post by BBJynne Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:08 pm

There have been many interpretations of hell, paradise, or the afterlife. Without bringing up whichever may be the most correct (as obviously this will vary based on people's deeper beliefs), what is the best afterlife in fiction or real life?

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Afterlife Empty Re: Afterlife

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:18 pm

I believe I am well equipped to discuss this matter.

Throughout my existence I have died and been reborn a multitude of times and all throughout the centuries I have been able to skirt any responsibility of having to pay for my sins (except for those few years I lived in New Jersey) by not staying dead long enough to stay in hell.

Unfortunately Death finally was able to decide on a punishment that would make me suffer for years and years without any sign of halting.

And so I was made Administrator for this website.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:24 pm

So in conclusion: This site is my own personal hell
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:28 pm

Paradise in Oblivion.

not Razz
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:46 pm

I believe that the afterlife is made of many levels, the higher being the better, or and the lower being worse. Depending on your actions through your life you will be placed in a certain level. Then you are presented with a choice. Either you can stay on your designated level for eternity, or you may go back and live out another life, giving you the chance of rising in the levels.

The levels pretty much go like this...

Highest - Being one with the Gods

Higher Levels - Great Wisdom and Peace

High Levels - Happiness and Joy

Middle - Earth, normal life.

Low Levels - Sadness

Lower Levels - Pain and Anguish

Lowest - Punishment
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:49 pm

Spekwyse wrote:I believe that the afterlife is made of many levels, the higher being the better, or and the lower being worse. Depending on your actions through your life you will be placed in a certain level. Then you are presented with a choice. Either you can stay on your designated level for eternity, or you may go back and live out another life, giving you the chance of rising in the levels.

Low Levels - Sadness

Lowest - Punishment

So if they are sent to Punishment or Pain/Anguish you believe they are allowed to say no to staying their and restart with a clean slate or CHOOSE to be in a level called "Pain and Anguish" for eternity?
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:53 pm

I like the way the afterlife works in the Dresden Files. It's pretty chill.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:55 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:
Spekwyse wrote:I believe that the afterlife is made of many levels, the higher being the better, or and the lower being worse. Depending on your actions through your life you will be placed in a certain level. Then you are presented with a choice. Either you can stay on your designated level for eternity, or you may go back and live out another life, giving you the chance of rising in the levels.

Low Levels - Sadness

Lowest - Punishment

So if they are sent to Punishment or Pain/Anguish you believe they are allowed to say no to staying their and restart with a clean slate or CHOOSE to be in a level called "Pain and Anguish" for eternity?

Nah, I should've typed it down, but i'll just say it here. Once you hit the Lowest, there is no second chance. But the only way you can reach the lowest level, is by being placed and a really low level and on your second chance either be worse, or show no effort in improvement.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:22 pm

I'm Christian, so i kinda assume just accepting Hay-Zeus into your life and regretting your sins means you go to the fluffy place.

More deeply, i don't think there is a point where you can't accept Hay-Zeus into your life and repent your sins. You go to hell until you can fully accept the evil you inflicted on the world, then you can continue on to the fluffy place. Eventually, everyone goes to heaven, which i think suits Jesus's MO more perfectly than "you guys go to heaven, but you other guys are fucked."
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:02 am

I don't really believe in an afterlife. I hope there is one, but there is no reason to believe such a place exists.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:12 pm

thread isn't about what you believe.
it's about what's awesome.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm

not sure I would want an eternal afterlife.... maybe one that lasted as long as I wanted then let me stop existing
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:38 pm

Most correct: none of them.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:52 pm

BBJynne wrote:There have been many interpretations of hell, paradise, or the afterlife. Without bringing up whichever may be the most correct (as obviously this will vary based on people's deeper beliefs), what is the best afterlife in fiction or real life?

Gauz wrote:Most correct: none of them.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Some versions of being a ghost are pretty cool. They have like responsibilities and chill. Otherwise it's kind of depressing though.

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:08 pm

Valhalla if you're a badass warrior.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 pm

You see, I just saw the words "most correct" and started assuming things from there.

But the best afterlife is....

dying and becoming a Lord Pheonix. Which is popular in some religions real and fictional...

EDIT: Like Arkantos in the end of AoM.

Last edited by Gauz on Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 pm

Elabajaba wrote:Valhalla if you're a badass warrior.
Pretty much a no across the board, then.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Gauz wrote:dying and becoming a Lord Pheonix. Which is popular in some religions real and fictional...

Worked out for me
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Wed Sep 07, 2011 10:59 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:
Gauz wrote:dying and becoming a Lord Pheonix. Which is popular in some religions real and fictional...

Worked out for me
>.<
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:13 pm

Religious debates will never be the same now...
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 pm

Best afterlife = finite afterlife, or no afterlife at all.

Who would want their consciousness to extend on forever? That would be, like, the most horrendous thing to ever happen to you.

Every second of every minute of every hour of every day of every year would be infinitely less valuable in your eyes. How would you even perceive time? Our finite lives on earth rely on cumulative events and experiences that build us up, whereas if you lived on forever, you would, by the very nature of infinity, experience every possible experience, think every possible thought, do every possible thing, an infinite number of times. What would make us unique or special?

Impossible to say how our tiny, 3 lb brains would handle these scenarios, or which would be best for us. If I had to guess, I would imagine infinite amounts of bliss or infinite amounts time would be detrimental to our mental well being without serious modification to our personalities.

Consider this example, you could theoretically manufacture a drug that's 100 times more potent than even the strongest narcotics on the market today, in that it makes you feel really really REALLY good. For the sake of argument, let's say it doesn't kill you on the spot after taking it. What will you want to do after trying it just once?

Maybe one day, when medical technology allows us to translate people's minds on to computers, you could live on in a digital world of your own preference and design, while also being able to interact with the real world via robots should you chose to. You could literally make any sort of afterlife you want, unconstrained by the this physical world, or whatever afterlifes may possibly exist beyond. Kinda like the Matrix.

Heavenly bliss? No problem, I'll just upload you into our heavenly bliss server.

Wanna burn in hell? Hey, to each his own, I'll set you up, and remember, you can cancel the program any time you like.

Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:43 am

If existing forever causes you to devalue your existence, what adds value to your existence in the first place?
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:49 am

what makes a steak dinner matter if you have infinite steak?

its the limit of something that makes it worth anything. Personally I can think of no greater torture than to exist eternally, no matter what condition I am in
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:58 am

CivBase wrote:If existing forever causes you to devalue your existence, what adds value to your existence in the first place?

Obviously not existing for ever, given that the average human lifespan nowadays is 67 years (globally).

Yet, I would say most of us value our lives enough to take decent care of ourselves and not fuck everything up. Valuing your life, self preservation is something hard wired into the brains of living things, because we once lived in a world that could very easily kill us at any moment. It's a favorable route to take on an evolutionary basis, value fleeting experiences, value life, increase the chances of survival and proliferation.

The finite aspect of your existence makes it more valuable, like how the finite supply of certain materials make them more valuable. If gold paved the streets, would it really be worth that much? Same goes for years in your life. Think if you shared your afterlife with your kids, and your grand kids, and your great grand kids, and your great great grand kids, and so on and so forth into infinity...
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next