Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MAG

+11
Cheese
Vtrooper
Toaster
A_Bearded_Swede
CivBase
Vigil
Gold Spartan
Death no More
Divine Virus
Felix
Dud Doodoo
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

MAG Empty MAG

Post by Dud Doodoo Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:29 pm

As you know, MAG promised to deliver massive online battles with 256 players at once. Many of you, and with good reason, were skeptical of these claims. As I am one of the few people on this forum to have experienced MAG first hand. I'll start off by assuring you this; it works.

I don't pretend to understand the engineering behind the system, but whatever they did the game runs flawlessly and out of the many sessions I have played I've only experienced minor lag in one of them.

Now on to the game itself. While the number 256 seems to be displayed on every add and brought up with every mention of the game, this is only one of the three game modes. There is also sabotage (64 players) and acquisition. (128 players)

While reviewing the information one would often come to the conclusion that the difference in faction is skin deep, and while this assumption has some technical weight to it, it would be incorrect for me to say that this difference is simply mere visuals. If there was evidence to support the categorization of personality, the difference between factions in MAG is it. When confronted with the choice, specific factions appeal automatically to the unconscious mind, and the similarly thinking players tend to end up on the same team. For example, members of Raven tend to be the COD type. These people have little to none team cohesion, while individually they are good players. Unlike Raven SVER players tend to operate as a group and coordinate attacks. Valor comes somewhere in between.

Which brings me to the next biggest part about MAG; the teamwork. I cannot count how many times we have been promised games that emphasize on teamwork and coordination, and how many times our expectations have not been met. Common, and accurate I might add, speculation is that the general gaming community is incapable of such a feat as "teamwork" MAG has challenged my views concerning this long held rule of mine. It would seem, that only certain kind of people are incapable of teamwork, and only certain kind of people go out on their own and snipe/rambo. These people seem to be focused mainly in Raven. In my experience playing as Raven I have never seen any remarkable display of coordination or communication among the team. However, playing as Valor certainly changed this streak. While Valor does not operate on the level of SVER, I have played several games where the chain of command was proactive on every level, and every occurrence where this happened we crushed the opposing team.

One glance at the global stats and it is evident that SVER rapes everyone up the shitter. This observation is correct. Why? While SVER players have no major advantage in the commons player's skill, they tend to work together. The game is set up so that every squad has a specific objective to complete that will benefit the group as a whole, and every platoon has a common goal. Coordination and communication between squad mates and squad leaders gives you a huge advantage over an unorganized enemy who aimlessly goes for kills first and objectives second. Making progress with CO given objectives gives you tones of experience which you can later spend on upgrading weapons and equipment. Often a squad will be assigned an objective that will not directly complete the mission at hand, but will give your team the edge and make the goal easier to reach. For example, instead of being ordered to secure the main objective, you would be told to destroy a bunker, destroy a sensors array, a mortar battery, a motor pool, or anti air. Accomplishing such tasks will benefit the group as a whole. Therefore those who are organized and can accomplish such missions better, working for the group instead of the individual, end up preforming individually better than the opposition due to the advantages that completing each objective brings.

If you have a PS3, buy it.

Last edited by Dud Doodoo on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 2 times in total

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1528
Registration date : 2008-06-29

http://www.moddb.com/mods/broken-arrow-the-world-in-conflict-vie

Back to top Go down

MAG Empty Re: MAG

Post by Felix Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:32 pm

Wait... is it out?
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Huh, funny...

When I went and pre-ordered AVP today at my local GS, I had a conversation with the store manager and several other people who all said whenever they played MAG it wouldn't work. They said the servers were bad.

I guess they just got to playing a bad day or something went wrong for them. Maybe their PS3's were bad. IDK.

Well, anyways, if it really does work and work well then more power to the PS3 for gettin' it done and havin' it.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:58 am

Shame its not for the xbox. At least if it was both I wouldn't have to hear all the Ps3 fanboys screaming into my ear about it.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:00 am

Death no more wrote:Shame its not for the xbox. At least if it was both I wouldn't have to hear all the Ps3 fanboys screaming into my ear about it.
Scream into their's about Mass Effect 2. Razz
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:13 am

Screams about the pointlessness of console wars.

I seriously didn't think they could pull it off, as the only game that even got close to proper 'teamwork' was Left 4 Dead, and even them it was too tempting to go Rambo and break off from the group.

It's an interesting premise, and looks promising if clans really set up a strong community, but right now I'm more in the mood for solo gaming.

If I ever get a PS3(Drop your price in Europe Sony, and have a few more good exclusives and we'll talk about it) I'll be sure to check this out.
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:51 am

Eh, I dunno. With a game that big, it seems like your involvement is pretty insignificant. At least with Battlefield, you can still get a ton accomplished by yourself.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:54 am

Eh, the only games i still want to play are Heavy Rain and every Team Ico game. =/
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:48 pm

Baconsen wrote:Eh, the only games i still want to play are Heavy Rain and every Team Ico game. =/

Yes. I really wish they'd put those damn Ico games on PSN though. I don't have a PS2 :/
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:55 pm

well ill have it, and i was already going to be SVER because of pre-order

dud ill see you on there
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Maybe I'm just naive but I thought people (with PS3s) might care more about this. It looks to me like a game of Battlefield that's not ruined by EA!

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Battlefield wasn't ruined that much by EA. In fact, that's one game that I think they may have done a decent job with.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:00 pm

Felix wrote:Wait... is it out?

Why has no one answered this? If it's out, please tell me, I can't wait to get this game.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:02 pm

CivBase wrote:Eh, I dunno. With a game that big, it seems like your involvement is pretty insignificant. At least with Battlefield, you can still get a ton accomplished by yourself.
No, normally an individual will not turn the tide of battle by himself. Winning a battle requires the group as a whole to operate as a team and for each individual to have no other goal than the betterment of his faction. An individual, can, however be responsible for a local breakthrough. He can single handedly hold the line when his squadmates could not, he could demolish a mortar battery that would have undermined their position. The knowledge that you yourself had enabled your team to accomplish that which they otherwise could not have, possibly effecting the outcome of the entire battle, gives one the satisfaction that he has played his part well.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Dud Doodoo Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:03 pm

Felix wrote:

Why has no one answered this? If it's out, please tell me, I can't wait to get this game.
Yes, it is out.

Dud Doodoo
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:04 pm

I'm seeing more and more reasons to sell the Wii we got and get a PS3. This is one of them.
Edit: Who else has realized the great potential for gaming on a whole new level if Sony and Microsoft would stop the console war and join together?(I would include Nintendo, but the Wii has killed my opinion of them being able to create consoles.)

Last edited by Gold Spartan5 on Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Dud Doodoo wrote:
Felix wrote:

Yes, it is out.

Then I'm off to get this on Feb 16.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:36 pm

My friend said it was awesome, and he said to join Raven....

Then again, he is an all-out COD fan. Is everyone joining SVER, or what?
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:37 pm

Felix wrote:
Dud Doodoo wrote:
Felix wrote:

Yes, it is out.

Then I'm off to get this on Feb 16.
... Which happens to be the day when I'll be getting it, too... (That's mah b-day)
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:33 am

Felix wrote:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=mag+release+date

Anyway, I'll pick it up eventually.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:My friend said it was awesome, and he said to join Raven....

Then again, he is an all-out COD fan. Is everyone joining SVER, or what?

yep but i got preorder guy thats also why
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen

Male Number of posts : 2885
Registration date : 2008-07-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:I'm seeing more and more reasons to sell the Wii we got and get a PS3. This is one of them.
Edit: Who else has realized the great potential for gaming on a whole new level if Sony and Microsoft would stop the console war and join together?(I would include Nintendo, but the Wii has killed my opinion of them being able to create consoles.)
Not a good thing....They would have a monopoly then.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:38 pm

CivBase wrote:Battlefield wasn't ruined that much by EA. In fact, that's one game that I think they may have done a decent job with.

The games was great. It was just the online service software that annoyed me.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by R!zZle BiZzl£ Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:42 pm

looks like a great game...now i have to save up to get AC2, uncharted 2 and MAG. lol
R!zZle BiZzl£
R!zZle BiZzl£
Minion

Male Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:57 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:I'm seeing more and more reasons to sell the Wii we got and get a PS3. This is one of them.
Edit: Who else has realized the great potential for gaming on a whole new level if Sony and Microsoft would stop the console war and join together?(I would include Nintendo, but the Wii has killed my opinion of them being able to create consoles.

Competition between companies forces them to each try to "one up" each other which in doing so gives us new and better things.
If they were just one company we'll get the same shit cause they're the only ones.
For example. Football Video Games. Ever since EA bought the license they've been making horrible football games. But since they're the only ones, we have to buy them. I hate Madden so much. >.<
Speaking of which, ESPN NFL 2K5 Best Football Game EVER.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: