Sherlock Holmes

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ziggy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:22 am

RockaHolicGameR wrote:This is why I don't think I would be a good reviewer/critic. I tend not to overthink movies/games etc. People here complain about every last little itsy-bitsy detail.

IMO, that just anoys me.

It depends on what you want from a movie, and the level of depth in terms of detail and plot that you expect. If you're happy to watch movies with very little plot, with little to no analysis of the plot at all, then that's fine. But some people enjoy the analysis of a much more elaborate plot, and observing the finer details in films. I for one fall into the latter category, cos I can't stand shitty teen comedies or your standard action films. I found The Hangover pretty unfunny (not a word derp) and pretty boring.

But yeah, as I said, it's all about personal preference. Watch what you want, and analyse however you want. The main thing you need to realise is that you shouldn't let other peoples' opinions of movies affect yours.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Age : 26
Location : Melbourne
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Divine Virus on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:15 am

Oh believe me. There is no way in hell others negative opinions is going to effect anything I feel about a movie. If anything I laugh at them most of the time. But yes it all does come down to personal preferences. Simple as that.

It just really bothers me when people just sit there and not even watch "the movie" but rather just watch for the errors or anything that they can use negative against it. Like it's there life goal. This is especially true is very popular movie like Avatar and District 9 etc etc. (not saying people here on TCF do that, this is just from experience with other people)

But your other point is important too. You have to know what you should be especting from a movie. For Example, from seeing trailers of The Hangover, you should of expect some sex jokes, sexual moments you know, guy comedy. Expecting anything else or more is setting yourself up for disapointment. But from seeing District 9 or Avatar trailers, you should be able to see the large forcus on story and characters and setting etc etc.

You get my point. So yeah, I agree. But I think you can see my side as well. Smile
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Gauz on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:32 pm

Ziggy wrote:I found The Hangover pretty unfunny
Ziggy wrote:And Tropic Thunder was unbelievably shit. I struggled to watch the entire thing.
I'm afraid everything you say should now be ignored completely.




aaaand on topic: I went to school tiday and one of my teachers said it wasn't worth seeing ^ ^ So imma skip it Very Happy
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Felix on Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Gauz wrote:
Ziggy wrote:I found The Hangover pretty unfunny
Ziggy wrote:And Tropic Thunder was unbelievably shit. I struggled to watch the entire thing.
I'm afraid everything you say should now be ignored completely.




aaaand on topic: I went to school tiday and one of my teachers said it wasn't worth seeing ^ ^ So imma skip it Very Happy

Indeed. The Hangover was hilarious.

And it was good. I thought it was very well down, and deserves at least a look.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:40 pm

I haven't seen Avatar yet, so I can't comment on a comparison, but I found Sherlock Holmes to be brilliantly executed. The story was just intricate enough to usually stay half a step ahead of you, but not so intricate that you were too busy paying attention to actually enjoy the experience. Both lead actors performed very well, and the accents throughout the movie were lovely.

_________________
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ziggy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:14 pm

Gauz wrote:
Ziggy wrote:I found The Hangover pretty unfunny
Ziggy wrote:And Tropic Thunder was unbelievably shit. I struggled to watch the entire thing.
I'm afraid everything you say should now be ignored completely.




aaaand on topic: I went to school tiday and one of my teachers said it wasn't worth seeing ^ ^ So imma skip it Very Happy

It's good to see you've got your own individually formed opinion and taste of films.

/sarcasm

I think you're strongly missing the point of opinion, and personal taste.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Age : 26
Location : Melbourne
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ringleader on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:41 pm

Ziggy wrote:
Gauz wrote:
Ziggy wrote:I found The Hangover pretty unfunny
Ziggy wrote:And Tropic Thunder was unbelievably shit. I struggled to watch the entire thing.
I'm afraid everything you say should now be ignored completely.




aaaand on topic: I went to school tiday and one of my teachers said it wasn't worth seeing ^ ^ So imma skip it Very Happy

It's good to see you've got your own individually formed opinion and taste of films.

/sarcasm

I think you're strongly missing the point of opinion, and personal taste.

Yeah, the Hangover was the least funniest comedy I have ever seen, I don't think I laughed once during the entirety of the film...

NOT

ONCE!!!

I mean, how could you have a brain and find the Hangover funny? Thers no intellectual humor, theres hardly any humor at all, its just a bunch of mildly random situations with lame ass resolutions...


[sticky wicket]

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

[/sticky wicket]




I could only guess that Tropic Thunder is also not at all good, but I haven't seen it (I'm guessing it would be a lot like Land of the Lost, which wasn't very entertaining, with more con's then pro's). I'm guessing because it is a Vietnam-comedy film with mediocre comedian/actors, it is worshiped here (Good morning Vietnam, the lamest Robin Williams film I have ever seen), because, Nam, is Vietnam, is Vietnam...SO POWERFUL, AND PYSCHOLOGICAL, IT IS JUST SO AMAZING 500 YEARS LATER!!!, oh, and it's cool to associate something with Vietnam, or be a Vietnam expert, or just, Vietnam, NAM!!!

:face:

Nazis too, its always cool to associate something with Nazis, or reference or be an expert on them on the internet(z).

Oh, and I showed up to school today, and my teachers told me that there was no school today, so I left...

...

...

...

[/sticky wicket]

...

...

...

BAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHHHAH
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:58 pm

Excuse me, The Hangover was hilarious
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ringleader on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:06 pm

mhhh, hm, hmm, no, I am afraid, I am going to have to disagree with you there sir...












NOT FUNNY!


Not funny...
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:13 pm

You do realize that just because you have a severe lack of a sense of humor, it does not mean that things you do not find funny are, indeed, not funny.

Quite the contrary, what is and is not funny, especially in medias like the film industry, is determined by the majority, and sad to say, the majority found The Hangover to be quite hilarious. I didn't particularly care for the premise of the movie, nor did I particularly like Tropic Thunder or any host of comedies, but you cannot deny that they are funny, even if you personally require an extreme level of wit just to get a chuckle in (which is ironic, because Sherlock Holmes was more focused on a more intelligent humor, and you and Ziggy didn't seem to care for it, either).

_________________
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ziggy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:18 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:You do realize that just because you have a severe lack of a sense of humor, it does not mean that things you do not find funny are, indeed, not funny.

Quite the contrary, what is and is not funny, especially in medias like the film industry, is determined by the majority, and sad to say, the majority found The Hangover to be quite hilarious. I didn't particularly care for the premise of the movie, nor did I particularly like Tropic Thunder or any host of comedies, but you cannot deny that they are funny, even if you personally require an extreme level of wit just to get a chuckle in (which is ironic, because Sherlock Holmes was more focused on a more intelligent humor, and you and Ziggy didn't seem to care for it, either).

You're missing the fact that humour is not objective in any way, especially not by the logic of "if a large number of people in society find this funny, then it must be objectively funny". I can't lack a sense of humour for not laughing at something.

And since when did I not care about Sherlock Holmes? I loved it.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Age : 26
Location : Melbourne
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:20 pm

Ziggy wrote:You're missing the fact that humour is not objective in any way, especially not by the logic of "if a large number of people in society find this funny, then it must be objectively funny". I can't lack a sense of humour for not laughing at something.

My point was that just because you and Ringleader didn't find something funny, that doesn't mean that it wasn't funny, and that you two (especially Ringleader) should go around scorning us (yes, us, because despite what I felt about the films, I could not help but laugh throughout both) just because we found something funny that you didn't. If it wasn't funny, it would not have been a success. Full stop.

Ziggy wrote:And since when did I not care about Sherlock Holmes? I loved it.

Who was the bugger who didn't like Sherlock Holmes, then? Could have sworn some bugger came in here and found the whole thing to be subpar and a waste of time or something like that...maybe it was just Ringleader that didn't like it?

_________________
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by A_Bearded_Swede on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

_________________
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Skyrimr

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Ironmanl
.:Live Life, Love Life:.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Age : 27
Location : Jersey
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ziggy on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:25 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:

My point was that just because you and Ringleader didn't find something funny, that doesn't mean that it wasn't funny, and that you two (especially Ringleader) should go around scorning us (yes, us, because despite what I felt about the films, I could not help but laugh throughout both) just because we found something funny that you didn't. If it wasn't funny, it would not have been a success. Full stop.

I never said that it wasn't funny for everybody. I was more saying that I personally didn't enjoy it. I don't think that I ever said it wasn't funny for everybody, and that anybody who did laugh at it was stupid and unintelligent.
In my post prior to that (or maybe it was that post, I forget), I was actually saying that taste is entirely subjective and that nobody is in any position to say somebody else's taste in movies is right or wrong, good or bad, etc etc.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Age : 26
Location : Melbourne
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Felix on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by kslidz on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Felix wrote:
Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.

i thought it sucked... a lot

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Age : 28
Location : your pants
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Felix on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:47 pm

kslidz wrote:
Felix wrote:
Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.

i thought it sucked... a lot

How...? How are you human?
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Gold Spartan on Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:53 pm

Felix wrote:
kslidz wrote:
Felix wrote:
Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.

i thought it sucked... a lot

How...? How are you human?
Meh, parts of it were funny, like when they find the drugged tiger in the bathroom. didn't particularilly enjoy the movie, but other people odviously do.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Age : 24
Location : Kentucky, where else?
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by kslidz on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:06 pm

Felix wrote:
kslidz wrote:
Felix wrote:
Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.

i thought it sucked... a lot

How...? How are you human?


IDK three of my friend and I watched it, had high hopes, but sadly laughed only two or three times. Not only that but when we watched it, it was about three a.m. which is when we laugh the most and at almost anything. At one point we paused the film and started talking about something and were laughing . I say to show that we were in the mood to laugh but none of us found it funny.

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Age : 28
Location : your pants
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Ringleader on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 pm

Felix wrote:
kslidz wrote:
Felix wrote:
Baconsen wrote:
Ringleader wrote:

-DUDE, theres a tiger in the bathroom...

-NUH UH, imma go check... *checks bathroom*

-Dude... hes right, there is a tiger in the bathroom...

-...

-...

-...

I have yet to see the hang over, but just saying from reading that bit, i'm going to find it pretty funny.
^.^

It is the funniest comedy I have ever seen. You have to watch it.

i thought it sucked... a lot

How...? How are you human?

It was lame, the jokes didn't suggest much, nor where they particularly witty, just random situations with predictable outcomes, which does not leave anything in terms of being surprised or zinged.

It was like comedy in reverse, instead of regular situations with a smart or ironic twist, it was random, obscure situations, with dull outcomes that quickly and ruthlessly bring you back to reality, things are funny because you think about them in a different way, take the following jokes:

"I was watching Pirates of the Carribean 2 last night, and there was a big crack in it."

"Have you heard of the new Techno-Rapper?...Ni**abytes" :face:

Two guys sat down for lunch in the office cafeteria. "Hey, whatever happened to Pete?" one asked.
"He got this hare-brained notion he was going to build a new kind of car," his coworker replied.
"How was he going to do it?"
"He took an engine from a Pontiac, tires from a Chevy, seats from a Lincoln, hubcaps from a Caddy and well, you get the idea."
"So what did he end up with?"
"1 1/2 years in jail and 100 hours of community work."



These are funny (not much though) because there is an "aha" moment, that makes you think about something differently, or makes a connection, a rewarding feeling that undoubtedly served primitive man well while developing and learning in a competitive, harsh world.

Though orthodox, the general premise of comedy and humor are the same, and I feel that The Hangover does not satisfy even these basic prerequisites to being mildly funny, much less hilarious.


Please point out what was so funny so I can see what you mean?


Was it the part where he was tazered in the face?

Or Mike Tyson saying the F-word, I bet that got a lot of people laughing...





























You know, because, Mike Tyson said the F-word, Get It? IT'S FUNNY.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Age : 27
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Felix on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm

I lost a tooth, and I married a whore.

HEY! SHE'S A NICE LADY!

That was funny.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Age : 27
Location : Unlocking Alchemy
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Divine Virus on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:41 pm

Rot's point is the best here.

I mean look at me. I fucking HATE most rap/hip-hop songs. I find them to be very boring and without talent. To me, it's just retarded beats and some guy talking.

BUT! I can not deny the fact that the Rap genre has been very succesful. There's a large majority of people out there who like the music. So much so that it is it's own genre and style and is in fact, music, be it whatever my sig says down there. Razz

The point is. Voice your opinion. Yeah, that's fine and dandy. But quit trying to convert us to follow your opinion.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:54 pm

Actually, rap is the exception to my rule, and should be destroyed whatever the cost. Razz

_________________
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Divine Virus on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:56 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Actually, rap is the exception to my rule, and should be destroyed whatever the cost. Razz

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Highfivers2
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Age : 29
Location : Seattle, WA
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Gauz on Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:05 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:Actually, rap is the exception to my rule, and should be destroyed whatever the cost. Razz
Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 N502092683_124530_3770
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Sherlock Holmes - Page 2 Empty Re: Sherlock Holmes

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum