Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gay Marriage

+20
Jamiesway
BBJynne
Divine Virus
Ruski
Arty
Avenged
KristallNacht
TNine
Gauz
Angatar
KrAzY
Kasrkin Seath
RX
Rotaretilbo
Rasq'uire'laskar
CivBase
dragoon9105
Nocbl2
Lord Pheonix
A_Bearded_Swede
24 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Gay Marriage - Page 6 Empty Re: Gay Marriage

Post by Angatar Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:41 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Angatar wrote:This is almost entirely a religious debate already, so please, explain yourself.

No, it really isn't. While my opinions on this matter may be religiously based, my arguments on this matter have been based wholly in logic.
Yes, it is.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:46 pm

o... kay?

:/
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:47 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Gauz wrote:Mka Rot well just some advice maybe, how about you stop with the whole being rude thing? Insulting people doesn't make you look more intelligent it just makes you look like a twat.

Coming from the guy who busts into the thread, ignores all of the arguments, and then makes abrasive comments and insults at anyone with a particular viewpoint, that's rich.

I know I've been abrasive because this is something very important to me (tbh we're both kind of doing this) but I really never intended to be rude... even though I have. I'm honestly sorry for all the rude things I've said.

I'm not upset with anyone else either. It wouldn't be fair for me to be (I was being caustic), and I don't want to look like a victim either. Now that everything has been expanded on I understand why you hold your views, and I can respect that. I don't necessarily agree with them, but not everyone will.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:00 pm

Then it's settled. I want pizza. Who wants pizza? Let's get some pizza.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:30 pm

Is it over?
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:30 am

Until someone else necro's the thread with some tangent and we all go right back into it. I feel like we've had this same debate like five or six times, now. Razz
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:36 am

So...

This new thing happened and we should fight about it.

Actually, I was closing up at Subway today an a guy stopped by. He didn't want a sandwich, but he asked me if I knew anything about what was happening at CFA. I said "Yah, why?" and he said that there was a line wrapped all the way around our local food court at a local mall just for the CFA.

I don't think the boycot is working >.>
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:48 am

CivBase wrote:Then it's settled. I want pizza. Who wants pizza? Let's get some pizza.
Only if it has sausages. Big, long, huge sausages...
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:56 am

Divine Virus wrote:
CivBase wrote:Then it's settled. I want pizza. Who wants pizza? Let's get some pizza.
Only if it has sausages. Big, long, huge sausages...
That wouldn't be in your best interests.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:02 am

Angatar wrote:That wouldn't be in your best interests.
Sausages are delicious on pizza. I don't know what you're talking/thinking about...

Razz
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:51 am

Polish sausages?
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:21 pm

I've got a 12' Avian sausage for all interested.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Italian beef.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:33 pm

I think I'll just have pepperoni.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Jamiesway Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:36 pm

gay pride <3
Jamiesway
Jamiesway
Crimson Chick

Female Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-06-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:46 pm

No joke though, pineapple and ham.

That shit be ballin yo.

Doesn't sound largely appetizing, but it is awesome.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:30 pm

Buffalo Chicken, anyone?
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:45 am

I don't like hawaiian or buffalo chicken..

I'll just take classic chicago pepperoni deep dish Very Happy
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 pm

I'd like to start this one up again if I could, as my opinion of the issue has change a lot over the past couple years.

The issue of gay marriage is not an issue of whether or not religious beliefs should dictate public policy. The ideas and issues surrounding it are more complex than that.

One very important aspect of marriage involves marital rights, like hospital visitation, inheritance, authority over medical decisions, etc... and these things should be available to any two people who decide to call themselves a 'married couple.' This is the basis for 'civil unions'.

Another aspect of marriage is tax benefits, and the differences in how spouses can claim their respective incomes. Married couples receive these benefits because it is in the interest of just about everyone to encourage stable family environments. Such environments are essential to the proper rearing of children, and to the long term health and success of every family member, local and extended.

Generally, I don't like the idea of the government attempting to influence personal behavior through the tax code, but marriage is the one exception that I make. Strong families are the most important foundation to a healthy society. That's not just a cliche.

Homosexual couples do not produce children. They don't create families. The possibility of adoption exists. To be honest, I think a healthy heterosexual couple is much more ideal for child-rearing than a healthy homosexual couple, but obviously, kids in foster care don't exactly have the choice. Still, adoptive parents have to earn a certain income level as it is... so the gay people looking to adopt don't really need the tax incentives.

I don't think this is a huge issue, and I would never vote for a political candidate on the basis of gay marriage... but I don't think this is a civil rights issue, or an issue of religious tolerance. It's more complicated than that. I don't think it's 'wrong' that gay and heterosexual couples are treated differently under the law.

Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:09 am

Toaster wrote:I don't think it's 'wrong' that gay and heterosexual couples are treated differently under the law.

Then you have lost sight of what the founders of this country envisioned for this country and what it is to be a good person.

To not treat someone differently because they aren't the same as you.

That is what I hate most of all. Treating someone differently because they are a different skin color than you, because they believe in a different God than you, or because they live their lives in a different way than you.

But a great deal of people seem to find it is okay to treat other people worse than they would want to be treated because they are different. All I have to say is: Fuck You.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:15 am

We again see people appealing to the discrimination analogy that is so inherently flawed. If a man is traveling north, he is discriminated against in that he is required to drive on the east side of the road in almost all situations. If he is traveling south, he is required to drive on the west side of the road. If he should travel west, he is required to travel on the north side of the road, and were he to venture east, he would do so on the south side of the road.

Just because it is discrimination does not mean it is inherently wrong. It is the reasoning behind the discrimination that makes things wrong. It is wrong to look at one individual person and say "because that person has a certain outward physical trait, such as skin color or eye color or hair color, they should be treated differently." I do not believe it is wrong, however, to treat people differently if their situations are different.

For example, we currently tax people a different percent at different incomes. If you make greater than x annually, you will be taxed y%. Is this discrimination? Of course. It is, by definition, discrimination. Is it wrong? Not inherently, no. People at lower income brackets qualify for a lower percent of taxation. I view this as much the same. We're not looking at people and saying "you are gay, so fuck you." We're looking and saying "marriage is defined as a civil union between a man and a woman, so you do not qualify for these benefits." Do I agree with it? Not necessarily. I've made my viewpoint on it relatively clear throughout the debate. Frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of the progressive tax brackets either. But that's not the point.

The point is that if all you're going to do is regurgitate the litany that this is the same thing as the civil rights movement and that anyone who disagrees is a bigot, then get the fuck out of the thread, find a cliff, and throw yourself off of it. You'll be doing the world a favor. People who act like the opposition are all a bunch of bigots for disagreeing are just as bad as the actual bigots.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:36 am

Toaster wrote:
I don't think this is a huge issue, and I would never vote for a political candidate on the basis of gay marriage... but I don't think this is a civil rights issue, or an issue of religious tolerance. It's more complicated than that. I don't think it's 'wrong' that gay and heterosexual couples are treated differently under the law.
Wow. Never thought I'd see this.

Lord Pheonix wrote:
That is what I hate most of all. Treating someone differently because they are a different skin color than you, because they believe in a different God than you, or because they live their lives in a different way than you.

But a great deal of people seem to find it is okay to treat other people worse than they would want to be treated because they are different. All I have to say is: Fuck You.
That, though, I could have seen coming blindfolded.

Toaster wrote:One very important aspect of marriage involves marital rights, like hospital visitation, inheritance, authority over medical decisions, etc... and these things should be available to any two people who decide to call themselves a 'married couple.' This is the basis for 'civil unions'.

Now back to this. I got to keep it short, though, because it's running late and I still have to be doing homework.
Do you know about the civil unions in Washington State? We passed the "everything but marriage" law, which granted civil unions the same rights as marriage (visitation, property rights).

Now we have Referendum 74, which seeks to grant marriage to homosexuals, and keep the domestic partnership for senior citizens. What's fishy is that the literature I've seen claims that Ref 74 is necessary for homosexuals to have visitation rights, property rights, etc... bounce

I could be wrong, of course, because I never got around to fully researching the topic before quitting from the school newspaper.

So, one proposal in this thread (And backed by the American Libertarian Party, I think) is to have all marriages recognized by the state as "Civil Unions". What is your opinion on that?
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:32 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:The point is that if all you're going to do is regurgitate the litany that this is the same thing as the civil rights movement and that anyone who disagrees is a bigot, then get the fuck out of the thread, find a cliff, and throw yourself off of it. You'll be doing the world a favor. People who act like the opposition are all a bunch of bigots for disagreeing are just as bad as the actual bigots.

Oh yes quite, people who act like the opposition are bigots are DEFINITELY just as bad as a bunch of racist homophobic anti-islamic woman haters.

And someone is obviously an upper middle class white Christian who has never been discriminated against and probably thinks that "racism is barely even around anymore and people just need to stop mentioning it for it to go away"
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:38 am

Rasq wrote:So, one proposal in this thread (And backed by the American Libertarian Party, I think) is to have all marriages recognized by the state as "Civil Unions". What is your opinion on that?

I think that would be fine, but sort of beside the point. As you're aware, I'm not a religious person, so the specific value assigned to the word 'marriage' isn't something I place a whole lot of significance on. I think it's a very good idea for the government to encourage stable families. Marriage, at its core, is a child-rearing and life-long support system.

I suppose that it wouldn't be a horrible idea to encourage homosexuals to settle down into more stable lifestyles as well, and I'm not really opposed to that... I just feel like a lot of the underlying feelings and notions surrounding this whole debate (throughout the country I mean) are demonstrative of some more deeply rooted flaws.

I think, for example, that my comment about how "a healthy heterosexual couple is much more ideal for child-rearing than a healthy homosexual couple" would probably be met with opposition from around half of the US population... and I think that's troublesome. I don't like this trend of ignoring innate, subtle differences between men and women, and of completely doing away with cultural influences that have guided our's and past societies for all of recorded history.

Honestly Rasq, I think you'd be proud of my more recent position on religion. I don't and won't ever believe, but I think religion is generally a good force on society. It reinforces morals, gives meaning to life, builds communities, provides mental and emotional support. I don't like the modern trend of completely abandoning all of that. I don't think we're even close to being ready for it.

Last edited by Toaster on Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:53 am; edited 2 times in total
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:52 am

[quote="Toaster"Still, adoptive parents have to earn a certain income level as it is... so the gay people looking to adopt don't really need the tax incentives. [/quote]

.....what? So families that make above a certain amount also shouldn't get tax incentives for children?
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum: