Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discworld

3 posters

Go down

Discworld Empty Discworld

Post by TNine Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:20 pm

Does anyone read these books? If not, i would really highly recommend it, they are very funny and just generally very good books.

Wikipedia link.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Discworld Empty Re: Discworld

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:49 pm

^.^

I read the first four this summer, and I want to hack down my reading list before starting up on them again. But I must say, Terry Pratchett has a genius for character comedy.

The only bad thing I can say is that the setting reminds me of Xanth (Except it's actually good. And funny. And the author isn't just crapping the books out for a paycheck)
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:04 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:^.^

I read the first four this summer, and I want to hack down my reading list before starting up on them again. But I must say, Terry Pratchett has a genius for character comedy.

The only bad thing I can say is that the setting reminds me of Xanth (Except it's actually good. And funny. And the author isn't just crapping the books out for a paycheck)
Yeah, Pratchett gets a lot of good characters. I personally love Vimes and Susan Death, but i guess you haven't gotten to them yet.

I've been jumping around the series depending on what books are in the library, but i find that the first few books were some of the worse ones of the series (which doesn't say much, the worst of Discworld is still really good). The City Watch books are my personal favorites.

Edit: The later books are actually kinda interesting to put in a genre, they take place in a fantasy parody settings but they are often not really of that genre, most City Watch books are police procedural things, The Fifth Elephant is about politics, The Truth is about newspapers and the media, Unseen Academicals (the newest book) is about foot-the-ball (soccer).
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:24 pm

TNine wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:^.^

Yeah, Pratchett gets a lot of good characters. I personally love Vimes and Susan Death, but i guess you haven't gotten to them yet.
Death is, hands down, the best character. I've loved him since his first part, where he and Rincewind were parodying the parable about the Servant Who Saw Death.

Rincewind comes in a close second, though.

TNine wrote:I've been jumping around the series depending on what books are in the library, but i find that the first few books were some of the worse ones of the series (which doesn't say much, the worst of Discworld is still really good). The City Watch books are my personal favorites.
Yes, the first four were kind of lacking given the raving reviews on TVTropes, but I imagine they do get better.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:25 pm

Never read the Discworld series or heard of it for that matter.
Might pick it up, but it's pretty low on my list of books to read.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:00 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Death is, hands down, the best character. I've loved him since his first part, where he and Rincewind were parodying the parable about the Servant Who Saw Death.

Rincewind comes in a close second, though.
Susan Death (or Susan Sto Helit) is possibly better. She is Death's granddaughter, and inherets some of his traits (somewhat skeletal features, nonchronological memory, the ability to not be seen, the nasty habit of moving in more than three dimensions, etc.) She normally is in books that also have Death, which is a double-whammy, since it is now up to here to fulfill Death's duties. The entire premise is hilarious.

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:Yes, the first four were kind of lacking given the raving reviews on TVTropes, but I imagine they do get better.
Yeah, i didn't really like The Color of Magic, and The Light Fantastic wasn't my favorite either. The City Watch is introduced much later in the series, and yet have 8 books already (as well as cameoing in many others) and i just love them. Rincewind gets funnier as he becomes more Genre Savvy, and the wizard subplots are pretty silly as they became more light-hearted.

Do you tend to skim a little? I noticed that a lot of the humor comes from some little sentences that are hilariously true. I missed a suprising amount of the jokes on the first readthrough.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum