Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Classic Halo books reprinted and updated.

+11
RX
Grey101
Ringleader
Dud Doodoo
Nocbl2
PiEdude
Rasq'uire'laskar
Divine Virus
Felix
Vtrooper
Vigil
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Classic Halo books reprinted and updated. - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Halo books reprinted and updated.

Post by TNine Sun May 23, 2010 3:41 pm

We didn't even know how to refuel Covenant Plasma Rifles in 2552, twenty years after the war began. How did we already master Plasma Rifles in 2531, hardly a year after the retaking of Harvest?

Also, the PoA was not in service at that time according to FoR.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Classic Halo books reprinted and updated. - Page 2 Empty Re: Classic Halo books reprinted and updated.

Post by Grey101 Sun May 23, 2010 4:01 pm

TNine wrote:We didn't even know how to refuel Covenant Plasma Rifles in 2552, twenty years after the war began. How did we already master Plasma Rifles in 2531, hardly a year after the retaking of Harvest?

I don't see how re-fueling a plasma rifle stops the studying of plasma technology. Seeing how it was early in the war i am leaning to the fact the plasma rhino's used human plasma technology, not covenant. meaning we might understand our plasma rhinos, but not an aliens plasma weapon.

And the PoA was in service if i remember correctly, if not that will be fixed in the new issue. What page in the book did it say that?

Grey101
Minion

Male Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-03-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Sun May 23, 2010 6:39 pm

TNine wrote:We didn't even know how to refuel Covenant Plasma Rifles in 2552, twenty years after the war began. How did we already master Plasma Rifles in 2531, hardly a year after the retaking of Harvest?

Yeah, Halcyon class cruisers were declassified in... 2511? Idk.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sun May 23, 2010 6:45 pm

Grey101 wrote:

I don't see how re-fueling a plasma rifle stops the studying of plasma technology. Seeing how it was early in the war i am leaning to the fact the plasma rhino's used human plasma technology, not covenant. meaning we might understand our plasma rhinos, but not an aliens plasma weapon.

And the PoA was in service if i remember correctly, if not that will be fixed in the new issue. What page in the book did it say that?
But we didn't have Plasma in the Haloverse. We still used all ballistic weaponry.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey101 Sun May 23, 2010 7:54 pm

Nocbl2 wrote:

constructed in 2509 but removed from service in 2511? that makes no sense at all and you have to be joking with that attempt. Halcyon class cruisers were just put on the sidelines, used to patrol outer UNSC space, or used for storage. Sure they were replaced due to costs, but they were still active and once the war started they were brought back from the sidelines.

TNine wrote:
Grey101 wrote:

But we didn't have Plasma in the Haloverse. We still used all ballistic weaponry.

Just becuase we didn't have standard plasma weaponry doesn't mean we weren't researching it independently. We are researching plasma and laser weaponry now but we don't have it standardized. And what we do have is on a large scale. I think giant tanks being used as prototypes would be a pretty nice step towards standard weaponry.

Grey101
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Sun May 23, 2010 8:09 pm

Grey101 wrote:
Nocbl2 wrote:

constructed in 2509 but removed from service in 2511? that makes no sense at all and you have to be joking with that attempt. Halcyon class cruisers were just put on the sidelines, used to patrol outer UNSC space, or used for storage. Sure they were replaced due to costs, but they were still active and once the war started they were brought back from the sidelines.
Um... I remember from FoR that Halsey claimed the ships were either scrapped or retired.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sun May 23, 2010 9:00 pm

Plasma Rhinos, make absolutely no sense. Halo Wars = Broken worthless game.

So the idea was that the 'Plasma Rhino' was used to dispatch a high powered covenant bubble shield, when they simply could have dropped a nuclear bomb on it, or just, fired the MAC gun at it over and over again. Can you imagine how much time and money the UNSC would have poured into such an impractical weapon system? Way too much for it to make any sense. This is just one more facet in the enigma of awfulness that was Halo Wars, I mean, you had to devote entire armies of tanks to defend these stupid things, it 's traumatizing just recalling the whole spectacle.

Even if these stupid vehicles were prototypes, what makes you think that they would risk losing them by attacking a Covenant shield in the most impractical manner possible? Especially when there's a Covenant ground presence snooping around, you would think these vehicles would be locked away in the most protected section of the POA's docking bay until they can be offloaded it to wherever they need to go (in a toilet).
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sun May 23, 2010 10:20 pm

Looks to me like they were just trying to find an excuse to make the covers match the newer ones, so they remade them and added some "new content" to make people who have already read the books buy them again.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Grey101 Mon May 24, 2010 3:34 am

Ringleader wrote:Plasma Rhinos, make absolutely no sense. Halo Wars = Broken worthless game.

So the idea was that the 'Plasma Rhino' was used to dispatch a high powered covenant bubble shield, when they simply could have dropped a nuclear bomb on it, or just, fired the MAC gun at it over and over again. Can you imagine how much time and money the UNSC would have poured into such an impractical weapon system? Way too much for it to make any sense. This is just one more facet in the enigma of awfulness that was Halo Wars, I mean, you had to devote entire armies of tanks to defend these stupid things, it 's traumatizing just recalling the whole spectacle.

Even if these stupid vehicles were prototypes, what makes you think that they would risk losing them by attacking a Covenant shield in the most impractical manner possible? Especially when there's a Covenant ground presence snooping around, you would think these vehicles would be locked away in the most protected section of the POA's docking bay until they can be offloaded it to wherever they need to go (in a toilet).

1. If i am correct they didn't fire a MAC at the shield becuase they didn't want to damage what might be under it. Even if the nuke did cripple the shield (which it wouldn't) there would be a risk of destroying what was under the shield.

2. we don't know if any were officially destroyed neither, i have beaten said level and the one after it plenty of time without losing a single rhino. So unless a book or another source details it more then i am going to assume no rhinos were lost. Also Live field testing> laboratory tests, which is why the rhinos would be worth the "risks. so ONI can get some live action with them.

Grey101
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Mon May 24, 2010 4:07 am

And the fact this was in 2531. So you really going to tell me you were able to reverse engineer plasma weaponry and lasers from the Covenant in 6 years, and with Energy shields it took you nearly 30?
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Mon May 24, 2010 4:42 am

Halcyon-class cruisers were decommissioned at one time, but when the Covenant War broke out, they were refitted for military service in order for Humanity to field more ships in it's arsenal.

The UNSC uses plasma as an energy source and to cut heavy metals in factories, and attempted to produce it for use in their armed services, but apparently chose to abandon the project, instead falling back on projectile weaponry.

This is stated, if I remember correctly, in FoR. A small usage could have occured, but not in something like the Rhino that can operate a ton of plasma in a concentrated point and hit a target with spot on accuracy as if the Covenant were firing a weapon of theirs. The amount of time needed for this project would have been immense, but plasma in military use was already abandoned. So for the plasma we did have and use, the Rhino just doesn't make sense.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2