Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

+8
Felix
Toaster
Onyxknight
Indecisive One.
Vigil
Kasrkin Seath
Ringleader
Ruski
12 posters

Go down

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet Empty NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

Post by Ruski Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:22 am

Courtesy of Yahoo! News.

President Barack Obama set a lofty next goal this week for Americans in space: Visiting an asteroid by 2025. But reaching a space rock in a mere 15 years is a daunting mission, and one that might also carry the ultimate safety of the planet on its shoulders.

"It is probably the hardest thing we can do because the asteroid is not coming on a schedule," NASA chief Charles Bolden told reporters late Thursday after Obama announced his space vision.

And when a specific asteroid is eventually selected, the window to launch a spaceship toward it will be much less forgiving than the windows for NASA space shuttles bound for the International Space Station, Bolden said.

"The space station gives us five minutes," he explained. "I'm not sure what an asteroid gives us, but then it doesn't come again for a lifetime."

And there's another compelling reason for touching an asteroid: Saving the planet.

In a panel discussion that followed President Obama's Thursday space vision speech, astrophysicist John Grunsfeld -- a former NASA astronaut who flew on five shuttle missions -- suggested sending humans to purposely move an asteroid, to nudge the space rock to change its trajectory. Such a feat, he said, would show that humanity could deflect a space rock if one threatened to crash into the planet.

"By going to a near-Earth object, an asteroid, and perhaps even modifying its trajectory slightly, we would demonstrate a hallmark in human history," said Grunsfeld, who flew on three shuttle missions to fix the Hubble Space Telescope. "The first time humans showed that we can make better decisions than the dinosaurs made 65 million years ago."

Take the moon, Grunsfeld said. Tycho crater, a huge impact crater on the moon visible from Earth, was created when an asteroid crashed into it 95 million years ago, he said.

"The dinosaurs saw that," Grunsfeld told reporters. "Thirty million years later they're snuffed out when the same thing happens to the Earth." [Asteroids Up Close.]

If humanity doesn't develop a capability to meet space rocks head-on, and win, than it is almost a certainty that an asteroid will eventually threaten life on Earth, he added.

TV's Bill Nye the Science Guy, vice president of the Planetary Society, said the president's asteroid plan carries risk, since it sends astronauts so far from home. But it is a risk worth taking.

"You're saving all of humankind," Nye said. "That's worthy, isn't it?"

What's out there

Scientists estimate there are about 100,000 asteroids and comets near Earth, but only about 20,000 are expected to pose any risk of impact. NASA has found about 7,000 of those objects, 1,000 of them flying in orbits that could potentially threaten the Earth in the future, NASA scientists have said.

Astronomer Donald Yeomans, head of NASA's Near-Earth Object program office at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, Calif., said there are about a dozen near-Earth asteroids that could be within reach of manned spacecraft, but most of those are relatively small. To make a crewed mission worth it, the target space rock would likely have to be at least 300 feet (100 meters) wide.

For comparison, the space rock that exploded in a magnificent fireball over Wisconsin this week was just 3 feet (1 meter) wide, Yeomans said.

"If you could study a few of them up-close, you get a better idea on how best to deflect them," Yeomans told SPACE.com."

And more asteroids are being found all the time. NASA's WISE infrared space telescope is discovering dozens of asteroids every day that were previously unknown. New surveys and spacecraft will add to that space rock bounty over the next 15 years to offer more candidates for a crewed asteroid mission, Yeomans said.

New firsts in space

The bold new mission for NASA unveiled by President Obama Thursday was ultimately aimed at sending humans to Mars in the mid-2030s. The asteroid mission is just the first step.

"By 2025, we expect new spacecraft designed for long journeys to allow us to begin the first-ever crewed missions beyond the moon into deep space," Obama said. "We'll start by sending astronauts to an asteroid for the first time in history."

Astronauts have been to the moon and it's time to do something new, Obama said. He pledged to revive the Orion spacecraft, initially canceled along with the rest of NASA's Constellation program building new rockets and spacecraft. Now it will be used as a space station escape ship and, later, play a role in deep space missions, Obama said.

A mission to an asteroid would likely take months. Astronauts would rendezvous with a space rock, not land on it because of its weak gravity, but NASA would not send humans to an asteroid to just look at it, Grunsfeld said.

"If you go up to this, you're going to want to crawl around on it and find out what makes it tick," Grunsfeld said. Tethers or pitons would be required to keep asteroid explorers from floating away, he added.

Astronauts on an asteroid mission would be flying outside the Earth's protective magnetosphere, which shields the planet from harsh space and solar radiation. Even the Apollo astronauts who landed and walked on the moon didn't face such a risk.

"It's every bit as exciting in a different way, we're going to deep space. You turn around and take a picture of the Earth, and it's going to be a dot. You're not even going to see the atmosphere," Nye said. "Going to an asteroid, man, it's tough and risky and dangerous, how cool is that?"

Space radiation and long-term isolation would be among the biggest challenges for deep space missions, said MIT professor Edward Crawley, who participated in the panel discussion with Grunsfeld and served on the White House committee that reviewed NASA's human spaceflight program.

Crawley recommended a tiered approach to training missions, with a series of ever-longer expeditions preparing astronauts to the long treks to asteroids and, eventually, Mars.

Understanding asteroids

In general, asteroids are no strangers to the people of Earth. Astronomers have long-watched the space rocks from the ground while spacecraft have visited -- some even landed on -- asteroids in deep space.

Today, Japan's Hayabusa spacecraft is returning back from a huge asteroid called Itokawa, where it attempted to collect samples to send back to Earth. Hayabusa is due to return in June. Meanwhile, NASA's ion-powered Dawn spacecraft is headed out to the asteroid belt to rendezvous with Vesta and Ceres, the two biggest space rocks in the solar system.

But robots are only as good as their programming, and ultimately still rely on human operators.

"Robots have never discovered things," Grunsfeld said. "People have discovered things, using robots."

There are secrets locked away on asteroids that may hold the key to understanding the formation of the solar system. Asteroids are thought to be the leftover remnants of the solar system's buildings blocks. The organic molecules and compounds on them may offer clues on how life began on Earth, and if it's possible elsewhere in the universe, Nye and Grunsfeld said.

For Yeomans, who has studied asteroids for 40 years, hearing President Obama's commitment to send humans to visit them was uplifting, to say the least.

"It was pretty exciting to hear him say that," Yeomans told SPACE.com. "Of course, Congress still has to pass the budget, so all these things are up in the air a bit."
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet Empty Re: NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

Post by Ringleader Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:19 am

I heard about this too, and I think there was also plans for landing a man on mars.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Male Number of posts : 1993
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Back to top Go down

NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet Empty Re: NASA's New Asteroid Mission Could Save the Planet

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:30 am

Ringleader wrote:I heard about this too, and I think there was also plans for landing a man on mars.
Yeah, but thats further off
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:42 am

I was reading up on a new rocket engine, it would have the fuel efficiency of an ion engine, with the power of a chemical rocket (Or maybe it's the other way around?), anyway, it would be able to land a man on mars in 39 days, which is really really fast considering the normal time is 6 to 7 months. The new engine is called VASIMR, and it could revolutionize space travel.

The could really send a man on mars soon, very soon.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:49 am

No, you have it the right way. Anyways, new rocket sounds kickass. From my understanding its basically a Plasma drive, lol
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:55 am

I think this is a prime example of a Politician bending the truth, I mean, saving the planet from a giant asteroid? Even though this will likely be the case in the future, he is clearly warping the facts. VASINR will be used for all sorts of things like putting cargo up in space and on the other planets before the astronauts arrive.

If Bill Nye thinks it's a good idea, then I guess we better get to it!
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:44 am

I always assumed we either

A) Fire all our nukes at it.

B) Recreate the movie Armageddon.(I LOVE YOU MAAAAAAAAAN!!!)

C) Recreate the Movie Deep Impact (The Water receded.)
Vigil
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Indecisive One. Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:06 am

Vigil wrote:I always assumed we either

B) Recreate the movie Armageddon.(I LOVE YOU MAAAAAAAAAN!!!)

C) Recreate the Movie Deep Impact (The Water receded.)
Armageddon was awesome.
Indecisive One.
Indecisive One.
Minion

Male Number of posts : 349
Registration date : 2010-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:26 am

Vigil wrote:B) Recreate the movie Armageddon.(I LOVE YOU MAAAAAAAAAN!!!)

When i first read this this was my first thought lol
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:45 am

It's always a black president who tries to save the Earth from an asteroid....
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:09 pm

ReconToaster wrote:It's always a black president who tries to save the Earth from an asteroid....

All we need to do is replace the president with Morgan Freeman and then we'll be ok.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:19 pm

Felix wrote:
All we need to do is replace the president with Morgan Freeman and then we'll be ok.

I like this idea so much you can not even understand
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:28 pm

Indeed, I think he would be an awesome President, especially with the things he supports.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:30 pm

Plus he could narrate everything the country does with astounding skill Razz
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:31 pm

He could convince world leaders to do whatever he wants with his smooth calming voice.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:34 pm

He also is a firm believer that black people should get over slavery and stop using it as an excuse.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:37 pm

Is that true?

I would vote for him. And I'm not even allowed to.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:39 pm

He said in when he talked to Stephen Fry when he did 'Stephen Fry in America.'

The Pure Awesomeness of having those two in a room talking nearly caused my head to explode.
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Wow... Those are literally the two greatest voices in the world.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:14 pm

Can anyone say President Freeman and Vice president Fry?

I can't, because I lost my voice...
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:48 pm

Ringleader wrote:I was reading up on a new rocket engine, it would have the fuel efficiency of an ion engine, with the power of a chemical rocket (Or maybe it's the other way around?),
Given that those two qualities are the respective engine's strengths, let's hope it's that way.

Ringleader wrote:anyway, it would be able to land a man on mars in 39 days, which is really really fast considering the normal time is 6 to 7 months. The new engine is called VASIMR, and it could revolutionize space travel.
Yeah, you got it right the first time.

Vigil wrote:I always assumed we either

Wouldn't work...

ReconToaster wrote:It's always a black president who tries to save the Earth from an asteroid....
Ah, you read "Moonfall" too, huh?

Lord Pheonix wrote:He could convince world leaders to do whatever he wants with his smooth calming voice.
President Morgan Freeman, with Energy Secretary Gordon Freeman.
And David Wells to be appointed as head of NASA... Channeling Carl Sagan's spirit.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Ringleader Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:23 pm

Firing nukes at it or blowing it up on the inside would create millions of smaller fragments that would probably cause a different flavor of hell on earth. Shooting a laser at it would cause a pressure imbalance on one side, which would create a thrust effect that, over time, would change the course of the incoming object. A gravity tractor would also work without creating different problems.
Ringleader
Ringleader
Crimson Muse

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:04 am

Gordon Freeman has never done physics right. Think about it: the Black Mesa incident, numerous teleport malfunctions, stuff always needing to be plugged in. He'll doom us then save us all!

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:36 am

'The right man in the wrong place can make all the differance in the world.'
Vigil
Vigil

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:34 am

"Wake up and... smell the ashes."
Carlos Spicyweiner
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum