Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

+11
Death no More
CivBase
Ruski
Kasrkin Seath
Rotaretilbo
Toaster
BBJynne
PiEdude
Cheese
KrAzY
Nocbl2
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Remove Daylight Savings?

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Vote_lcap36%Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Vote_rcap 36% 
[ 8 ]
Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Vote_lcap64%Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Vote_rcap 64% 
[ 14 ]

Total Votes : 22

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Empty Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:17 pm

So, I was thinking-should we get rid of daylight savings? Sure, back in the 19th century we weren't too "advanced" with agriculture. But now, we don't need daylight to work fields. We have portable headlights that are much more effective than pissing everybody off and fucking with time.... What's your guys' opinion?
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Empty Re: Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Post by KrAzY Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:23 pm

its 2 days of inconvenience for the ease of people in this country who actually do work early in the morning

stop whining like a little bitch and get over it, you'll survive
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? Empty Re: Daylight savings time: get rid of it?

Post by Cheese Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:41 pm

Yeah, I want my daylight saved thank you very much.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:43 pm

Well, I'm gonna be the Devil's advocate here, and say keep it.
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:16 pm

Daylight savings time: get rid of it? The_sun

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Doesn't day light savings have something to do with like... accounting for slight inconsistencies in the Julian calendar or something? Like Leap years?

Am I stupid?
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:02 pm

ReconToaster wrote:Doesn't day light savings have something to do with like... accounting for slight inconsistencies in the Julian calendar or something? Like Leap years?

Am I stupid?
no to both

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:04 pm

no, daylight savings time was made so that farmers get an extra hour to work

even with "technological leaps" a lot of farmers still can only work during the daylight hours in their giant fields
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:05 am

I say get rid of it, because it makes things for us Arizonans complicated, when trying to figure out what time it is elsewhere.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:10 am

keep it. Besides, helps once it gets dark during winter.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:50 am

Kasrkin Seath wrote:keep it. Besides, helps once it gets dark during winter.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:45 am

The way I see it, farmers can make their own adjustments to their schedules when they see fit. No need to drag in the rest of the world and cause everyone to be late or loose sleep.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:06 am

its only our country that does the daylight savings time

it affects you for two days... it affects them for the entire time... and if they all got pissed and went on strike, unlike the majority of jobs in this country, people would die... LOTS of people would die.

the price of food would go up drastically from having to import

so its like I said... get over it... you lose 1 hour of sleep for a couple of days once a year.... and you get those hour back at the other end of the year, might as well do SOMETHING to make the people who keep our country alive happy since we don't pay them anything, don't donate anything to them, don't thank them... hell... most people make fun of farmers because apparently doing one of the most crucial jobs in the country makes you a Poor hick.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am

I doubt they'd go on strike for that. Besides, do you realize just how much farmers do all day? Unless it's time for planting or harvesting, they do little to nothing. Wen they work, they base it off of when it's light out. What time the clock says is irrelevant.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:29 am

seriously civ, that is one of the most downright retarded things you have ever said

for one... farmers still base their schedules around time... they have kids who do school, they go to social events... shit like that... daylight savings time helps by making those more accessible while still haveing all the time they need to do their work.

and two... WHAT THE FUCK do you know about farming? obviously not very much... over half my family are farmers, and I can tell you that they do a fuck ton more work than just plant and harvest.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 pm

CivBase wrote:I doubt they'd go on strike for that. Besides, do you realize just how much farmers do all day? Unless it's time for planting or harvesting, they do little to nothing. Wen they work, they base it off of when it's light out. What time the clock says is irrelevant.
A good amount of farmers own live stock, so that's a year round job.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I would like to note that farmers could make adjustments to their alarms, thus being inconvenienced two days out of the year. Considering that they are inconvenienced two days out of the year anyway to adjust their clocks, I don't see why this would be such a big problem. I would also note that Arizonans are inconvenienced for half of the year.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm

It's more than just for farming, frankly, I like long summer evenings.
Stop whining, it's not that big of a deal. There are many studies of the positive effects of daylight saving times. Like
  • Increased Voter Turnout
  • Fewer Violent crimes
  • Safer trick-or-treaters
  • Fewer traffic accidents?
  • Energy conservation
  • People like it
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:19 pm

KrAzY wrote:seriously civ, that is one of the most downright retarded things you have ever said

for one... farmers still base their schedules around time... they have kids who do school, they go to social events... shit like that... daylight savings time helps by making those more accessible while still haveing all the time they need to do their work.

and two... WHAT THE FUCK do you know about farming? obviously not very much... over half my family are farmers, and I can tell you that they do a fuck ton more work than just plant and harvest.
Uh, yah... my family is farmers. In fact, I know a ton of farmers. I live in Iowa, in case you haven't noticed. My dad's side is all farmers, and my grandparents on my mom's side were also farmers. I spend an extended amount of time at my grandparents on my dad's side and assist with farming while I'm there (sometimes for quite a long time).

Yah, there's obviously a ton of other things that they do than just plant and harvest... but farming isn't like an office job. They do things as they're needed, not an 8-hour schedule. Their job isn't based on the clock. I suppose there are events and that sort of stuff, but that doesn't change much since their schedules aren't set in stone.

Rotaretilbo wrote:I would like to note that farmers could make adjustments to their alarms, thus being inconvenienced two days out of the year. Considering that they are inconvenienced two days out of the year anyway to adjust their clocks, I don't see why this would be such a big problem. I would also note that Arizonans are inconvenienced for half of the year.
That's what I was trying to say (and failing at, apparently).
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:53 pm

Way to completely ignore your best opposition Civ:
Gauz wrote:It's more than just for farming, frankly, I like long summer evenings.
Stop whining, it's not that big of a deal. There are many studies of the positive effects of daylight saving times. Like
  • Increased Voter Turnout
  • Fewer Violent crimes
  • Safer trick-or-treaters
  • Fewer traffic accidents?
  • Energy conservation
  • People like it
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:02 pm

Gauz wrote:

• People like it
From what people have said in this thread so far, people don't like it.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:07 pm

PiEdude wrote:Way to completely ignore your best opposition Civ
Have I? I'm sorry.

Increased Voter Turnout
...what?

Fewer Violent crimes
...what?

Safer trick-or-treaters
...what?

Fewer traffic accidents
Yah, during ONE of the days.

Energy conservation
Yah, during ONE of the days.

People like it
Yah, ONE of the days.

These sound like some really bad test...
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:09 pm

I would also note that, because Europe doesn't use the same two days for their DST changing, it makes things even more fucking confusing.

For example, right now, in the United States, I am in GMT -8. However, when calculating Europe time, I have to pretend that I am in GMT -7.

So, when dealing internationally, your inconvenienced for more than two days even if you aren't in Arizona.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 pm

Ye Olde Wiki-ma-pedia wrote:
The practice is controversial.[1] Adding daylight to afternoons benefits retailing, sports, and other activities that exploit sunlight after working hours,[3] but causes problems for farming, evening entertainment and other occupations tied to the sun.[4][5] Traffic fatalities are reduced when there is extra afternoon daylight.[6] Its effect on health and crime is less clear.

Although an early goal of DST was to reduce evening usage of incandescent lighting, formerly a primary use of electricity,[7] modern heating and cooling usage patterns differ greatly, and research about how DST currently affects energy use is limited or contradictory.[8]
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:28 pm

If that's the case, then just set every clock an hour back permanently.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum