Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are you religious/not religious?

+29
laxspartan007
Carcarius
Chuckles
Kasrkin Seath
Gold Spartan
JB
MrX
Felix
kslidz
CivBase
Toaster
Ascendant Justice
TNine
Nocbl2
Dud Doodoo
LeafyOwNu2
Angatar
A_Bearded_Swede
czar
Divine Virus
KrAzY
Zaki90
Cheese
Vigil
Ukurse
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rotaretilbo
Gauz
Ziggy
33 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Why are you religious/not religious? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Ascendant Justice Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:54 pm

Baconsen wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:
No, they also take the time to prove these discoveries as well.
You can't prove a discovery...

Wrong.

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Which all have meanings, and are later proven.
Not always.
There was one theory that stated that maggots grow from rotting meat.
Which was later disproved.

Because they found proof that they dont grow from rotting meat.

Ascendant Justice wrote:
At least science tries to discover how things work. Its a lot better than what religion does.
Which is what?

Saying that something is this because God made it that way.

Ascendant Justice wrote:

However both have been compared and heavily debated as to which is right so they ARE tied together.

I think TNine replied to this perfectly so, i'll just quote him.

TNine wrote:
That is incorrect. Science and Religion hardly are related at all. Just because they are normally said to be opposites does not make it true.

Proof of concept: I believe in both science and religion with all my heart and mind.

What YOU believe in doesnt make it proof/official.

Bolded = mine.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Why are you religious/not religious? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are you religious/not religious?

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Religion and science go hand in hand. You cant have one without the other. For if there was no religion, how could we know what was science? and vice versa?
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:14 pm

Modern day science and religion are two distinct systems. You don't need one to have the other, and they both can occur at the same time. As others have said throughout this thread, you can be religious but still be interested in science. It's not like you can only have interest in one or the other.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:36 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:Religion and science go hand in hand. You cant have one without the other. For if there was no religion, how could we know what was science? and vice versa?

guys science gives us religion
obviously

gold i dont really get what your saying if you could would you please elaborate and show some proof

kslidz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 753
Registration date : 2009-02-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:07 pm

kslidz wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:Religion and science go hand in hand. You cant have one without the other. For if there was no religion, how could we know what was science? and vice versa?

guys science gives us religion
obviously

gold i dont really get what your saying if you could would you please elaborate and show some proof
Sort of my point.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:46 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:
kslidz wrote:

[sarcasm]guys science gives us religion[/sarcasm]
obviously

Sort of my point.

fixed

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:24 pm

Felix wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
sargentbilco wrote:i follow science like a religion it helps me think clear about my actions

Science changes over and over. Did you know that only 60 years ago we finally accepted that the Earth moves? Following science blindly is like following a rope blindfolded to cross a highway.

To be fair, religion changes over and over as well.
I'd like to point out that we've known for FOUR HUNDRED YEARS that the earth is moving. Maybe not in Iran/Iraq, but the civilized world...
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:31 am

Ascendant Justice wrote:
CivBase wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:And I suppose saying that some imaginary entity created everything just like that is more logical?
I'm not even going to bother with that, it was so poorly thought out.

More like you dont have an answer to it.
How is God in ANY way imaginary? The notion of his existence has been around ever since recorded history.

And how is creation illogical in any way? At least it's an explanation, which is more than your precious science has given us.

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Civbase wrote:For the last f**ing time, people, science is not an alternative to religion. THEY ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Science is just for people who have half a fucking brain. When you are done following the ravings of some lunatic writer from way back when who believes that an imaginary person created everything, give me a call.
You know what, I'm not even going to bother with an immature brat who thinks he can come in here and shit all over me without having read a single thing I have said for the last five pages. When you are willing to grow up and do your research like good scientist should, give ME a call. Until then, I'll be strapping bombs on my chest and running into hotels yelling "Praise God!"

PS: You're either not even in middle school yet, or your science teacher sucks. Science cannot PROVE anything. Every scientific "law" is just a theory that fits every situation observed so far, but for all we know, every "law" that has ever been established could be flat out wrong. AJ, you have no more "proof" of the existence of Pluto than you do of God. All you know is what you've read.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sat Nov 28, 2009 9:59 am

Science is, by defintion, trying to explain the natural world in the belief that everything will react equally and therefore will be tested (i have a better wording in my book, but i'm lazy).

Since God is supernatural (and not natural), science has nothing to do with God, and therefore, religion.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Toaster Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:36 am

Civ wrote:How is God in ANY way imaginary? The notion of his existence has been around ever since recorded history.
sooo... a lot of people have been imagining it for a long time? I don't see what you're trying to prove here.

Civ wrote:And how is creation illogical in any way? At least it's an explanation, which is more than your precious science has given us.

Creationism isn't illogical, but the belief in Creationism is. And that last statement you made there.... shut the fuck up. Any 4 year old can come up with an explanation for the creation of the Earth/universe. Science doesn't just "make stuff up," they actually go out and make observations, and shape theories around them.

Civ wrote:AJ, you have no more "proof" of the existence of Pluto than you do of God. All you know is what you've read.

We have some faint images of pluto, as well as some heat images, and you can see it in a high-powered telescope. We also see its effect on Uranus' orbit.

Either way, the thing that differentiates science from religion is that they actually set out to be open to new ideas, and to confirm what they theorize to be true. A probe was launched in 2006 which is currently on its way to take some proper close-ups of the "ex-planet."
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:41 am

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:How is God in ANY way imaginary? The notion of his existence has been around ever since recorded history.
sooo... a lot of people have been imagining it for a long time? I don't see what you're trying to prove here.
Most followers don't imagine anything, they believe. Believing and imagining are two different things. Yah, it's possible that it all started with a few imaginations, but it's possible that it didn't. Imagination =/= belief.

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:And how is creation illogical in any way? At least it's an explanation, which is more than your precious science has given us.

Creationism isn't illogical, but the belief in Creationism is. And that last statement you made there.... shut the fuck up. Any 4 year old can come up with an explanation for the creation of the Earth/universe. Science doesn't just "make stuff up," they actually go out and make observations, and shape theories around them.
Belief in creationism is illogical only through the eyes of science. That is the only place where religion and science collide, belief. My point is, science cannot create a theory for how everything came to be because there is no evidence regarding said question.

Because there is no competing theory with any more evidence, there is nothing illogical about Creationism.

ReconToaster wrote:
Civ wrote:AJ, you have no more "proof" of the existence of Pluto than you do of God. All you know is what you've read.

We have some faint images of pluto, as well as some heat images, and you can see it in a high-powered telescope. We also see its effect on Uranus' orbit.
But have you seen it through a high-powered telescope? How do you know you weren't hallucinating? How do you know your mind wasn't putting it there because you wanted it to be there? Like I said, all you know is what you have read. Same goes for God.

I'm not suggesting that Pluto does not exist, mind you, but the evidence for AJ (and probably everyone here) regarding Pluto at this point is the same as the evidence regarding God.

ReconToaster wrote:Either way, the thing that differentiates science from religion is that they actually set out to be open to new ideas, and to confirm what they theorize to be true. A probe was launched in 2006 which is currently on its way to take some proper close-ups of the "ex-planet."
No, the thing that differentiates science from religion is the goals. They have two completely different purposes.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:57 am

CivBase wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:
CivBase wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:And I suppose saying that some imaginary entity created everything just like that is more logical?

How is God in ANY way imaginary? The notion of his existence has been around ever since recorded history.

Actually it started when some guy had a dream, and wrote a book about it. I can write a book about the last dream I had and I wouldnt expect it to be turned into a religion. Face it, your god has just been an imaginary figure that a man, who by today's standards would be considered clinically (sp) insane, has thought he had heard in his mind.

And how is creation illogical in any way? At least it's an explanation, which is more than your precious science has given us.

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Civbase wrote:For the last f**ing time, people, science is not an alternative to religion. THEY ARE TWO ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THINGS.

Science is just for people who have half a fucking brain. When you are done following the ravings of some lunatic writer from way back when who believes that an imaginary person created everything, give me a call.
You know what, I'm not even going to bother with an immature brat who thinks he can come in here and shit all over me without having read a single thing I have said for the last five pages. When you are willing to grow up and do your research like good scientist should, give ME a call. Until then, I'll be strapping bombs on my chest and running into hotels yelling "Praise God!"

This alone proves how desparate you, and most other Christians can get when someone tries to get them to see reality. You lash out with threats of death, insults, and fanatical preachings when the thing you have believed in all your life, is told to be nothing but an imaginary figure. Tell me Civ, do you think God gave you life? Do you think he gave you a job? A family? Money?

PS: You're either not even in middle school yet, or your science teacher sucks. Science cannot PROVE anything. Every scientific "law" is just a theory that fits every situation observed so far, but for all we know, every "law" that has ever been established could be flat out wrong. AJ, you have no more "proof" of the existence of Pluto than you do of God. All you know is what you've read.

All you have read is a book that tells you how to live your life. How is that any better? Recon Toaster already told you off on your little "Pluto" backlash statement. So I have nothing to say there.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:07 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Felix wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:
sargentbilco wrote:i follow science like a religion it helps me think clear about my actions

Science changes over and over. Did you know that only 60 years ago we finally accepted that the Earth moves? Following science blindly is like following a rope blindfolded to cross a highway.

I'd like to point out that we've known for FOUR HUNDRED YEARS that the earth is moving. Maybe not in Iran/Iraq, but the civilized world...

I meant as in continental drift.

But even in that argument. Christians have believed for TWO THOUSAND YEARS that Jesus was resurrected.

And only 400 years ago, the western world thought that the world is FLAT. And they also tried turning wood into gold. They also believed in witches and magic.

And for almost FIVE THOUSAND Years, the Jews believed that God created the Earth.

Last edited by Zaki90 on Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaki90 Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:11 pm

Gauz wrote:
Zaki wrote:Well, take the bombs out. Alot of present day churches have been threatening to murder gay people.

By a lot you mean almost none right? There are radicals in the christian religions, but very few openly preach the death of homosexuals during a public mass/service

You mean like in Islamic religions. Very few openly preach the death of "non-believers". But they do encourage it. It is just widely blasted to make it seem like a big deal. Like the swine flu.

Zaki90
Minion

Male Number of posts : 764

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:31 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Felix wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

But even in that argument. Christians have believed for TWO THOUSAND YEARS that Jesus was resurrected.

And only 400 years ago, the western world thought that the world is FLAT. And they also tried turning wood into gold. They also believed in witches and magic.

And for almost FIVE THOUSAND Years, the Jews believed that God created the Earth.

That post only proves how idiotic the human race is. Especially Christians.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by czar Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Felix wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

i lol'd
czar
czar
Minion

Male Number of posts : 570
Registration date : 2009-04-21

Back to top Go down

Post by kslidz Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
CivBase wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:
CivBase wrote:

Actually it started when some guy had a dream, and wrote a book about it. I can write a book about the last dream I had and I wouldnt expect it to be turned into a religion. Face it, your god has just been an imaginary figure that a man, who by today's standards would be considered clinically (sp) insane, has thought he had heard in his mind.

Ascendant Justice wrote:

This alone proves how desparate you, and most other Christians can get when someone tries to get them to see reality. You lash out with threats of death, insults, and fanatical preachings when the thing you have believed in all your life, is told to be nothing but an imaginary figure. Tell me Civ, do you think God gave you life? Do you think he gave you a job? A family? Money?

All you have read is a book that tells you how to live your life. How is that any better? Recon Toaster already told you off on your little "Pluto" backlash statement. So I have nothing to say there.

wait who had a dream what the fuck are you talking about

and thats not an argument you have just been an ass and he retaliated its not because you said God isnt real
its that you basically said anyone who believes in God is a fucktard without even giving an argument

in fact you havent given a single argument at all

and to RT there have also been numerous photos of UFOs
do you believe that there are aliens just flying around in our atmosphere

pluto has so little proof that it could be explained by something else but it also makes logical sense and is the first theory

hmm doesnt that sound familiar (oh yeah thats what creationism is)

kslidz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:22 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:Actually it started when some guy had a dream, and wrote a book about it. I can write a book about the last dream I had and I wouldnt expect it to be turned into a religion. Face it, your god has just been an imaginary figure that a man, who by today's standards would be considered clinically (sp) insane, has thought he had heard in his mind.
You have evidence for this? Not in the slightest. You contradict your own beliefs and make up stories yourself. How are you any better than the person you have created that you seem to detest so much?

Also, I hope you know that the above is how Einstein's widely accepted theory of time started.

Ascendant Justice wrote:This alone proves how desparate you, and most other Christians can get when someone tries to get them to see reality. You lash out with threats of death, insults, and fanatical preachings when the thing you have believed in all your life, is told to be nothing but an imaginary figure.
Someone has no appreciation for sarcasm. This is how idiots get when they realize they are wrong.

Ascendant Justice wrote:Tell me Civ, do you think God gave you life? Do you think he gave you a job? A family? Money?
No. Didn't see that coming, now, did you?

Tell me, what is your explanation? What is the "reality" that I'm supposed to see?

Ascendant Justice wrote:All you have read is a book that tells you how to live your life. How is that any better?
I never suggested that it was. Most of the scientific knowledge that you and I know, AJ, is dependent on the observations, experimentation, and theories of others as well as the trust that it has not been tampered with over the course of its existence.

Ascendant Justice wrote:Recon Toaster already told you off on your little "Pluto" backlash statement. So I have nothing to say there.
Told me off? He did no such thing you f***ing prick, but at least recon has the decency to use logical thinking and reasoning in his responses instead of making blind claims with no support. You disregard the very system that you cling so tightly to. All you want to do is argue, you don't want to debate, so you may as well leave.

Ascendant Justice wrote:That post only proves how idiotic the human race is. Especially Christians.
Vote: Ascendant Justice

Anyone else with me?

Recon? Rasq?
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:38 pm

CivBase wrote:
Ascendant Justice wrote:
This alone proves how desparate you, and most other Christians can get when someone tries to get them to see reality. You lash out with threats of death, insults, and fanatical preachings when the thing you have believed in all your life, is told to be nothing but an imaginary figure.
Someone has no appreciation for sarcasm. This is how idiots get when they realize they are wrong.

Except Im not wrong. Stop trying to say that there is a god, because there isnt one.

Ascendant Justice wrote:Tell me Civ, do you think God gave you life? Do you think he gave you a job? A family? Money?
No. Didn't see that coming, now, did you?

Tell me, what is your explanation? What is the "reality" that I'm supposed to see?

That everything that you do builds up to other events in the future. God didnt give you anything.

Ascendant Justice wrote:All you have read is a book that tells you how to live your life. How is that any better?
I never suggested that it was. Most of the scientific knowledge that you and I know, AJ, is dependent on the observations, experimentation, and theories of others as well as the trust that it has not been tampered with over the course of its existence.

Ascendant Justice wrote:Recon Toaster already told you off on your little "Pluto" backlash statement. So I have nothing to say there.
Told me off? He did no such thing you f***ing prick, but at least recon has the decency to use logical thinking and reasoning in his responses instead of making blind claims with no support. You disregard the very system that you cling so tightly to. All you want to do is argue, you don't want to debate, so you may as well leave.

I will do no such thing. And I thought you were beyond name calling my little religous friend? And I will not stop arguing until you give me an actual reason as to why god exists but instead you cannot find one so you get angry, and begin to toss insults and other stuff my way in some attempt to make me stop.

Ascendant Justice wrote:That post only proves how idiotic the human race is. Especially Christians.
Vote: Ascendant Justice

Anyone else with me?

Recon? Rasq?

Here you go switching to insults again. You try to ignore the fact that Christians are wrong.

Try again Civ.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Tell me AJ, since god in your mind does not exist, and there is no way he can exist, can you prove it? Can you prove God doesn't exist? Of course you cant, so quit fucking pissing every christian off.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:48 pm

Gold Spartan5 wrote:Tell me AJ, since god in your mind does not exist, and there is no way he can exist, can you prove it? Can you prove God doesn't exist? Of course you cant, so quit fucking pissing every christian off.

No one on the face of the earth has any evidence that he does exist, therefore, he technically DOESNT exist. Now I have a new question for everyone.

Why do you think God exists? What drives you to believe that some higher entity created everything with the snap of his fingers? That book called the Bible? Family influence?
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Gold Spartan5 wrote:Tell me AJ, since god in your mind does not exist, and there is no way he can exist, can you prove it? Can you prove God doesn't exist? Of course you cant, so quit fucking pissing every christian off.

No one on the face of the earth has any evidence that he does exist, therefore, he technically DOESNT exist. Now I have a new question for everyone.

Why do you think God exists? What drives you to believe that some higher entity created everything with the snap of his fingers? That book called the Bible? Family influence?
I cannot prove he exists. I cannot also prove he doesn't exist. Which is why I'm agnostic.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Im waiting....
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:12 pm

The existence of a god cannot be debated. It's a matter of what someone thinks.

So quit fucking attacking each other, stress is bad for your health.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Zaki90 wrote:
Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
Felix wrote:
Zaki90 wrote:

It's because we didn't know what caused these things to happen. If anything, this strengthens science's point, as people were curisous to see why these things were, well certain religious folks went "it's God devine will" or something along those lines.

Anyway, I don't see what you were trying to say here.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next