Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[ON] In The Endless Night

+4
Ascendant Justice
Ziggy
Gold Spartan
Omega 505
8 posters

Go down

[ON] In The Endless Night Empty [ON] In The Endless Night

Post by Omega 505 Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:13 pm

My try at an original story
Comments are wonderful
[ON] is "Original Novel" FYI

You know, I really hate Mondays.

“Get back here, freak. I’m gonna pound your face in!” yelled an unusually large man as he chased me down the street. It’s been an odd day, very odd indeed. I turned deliberately slow, trying to anger the simple minded man who’d been following me for about a mile now. It worked. His face flushed red, veins pulsing under his stretched skin. “You’re going to wish you’d never meddled, wizard. You should have left it alone.”

I gave him my best straight face, and then smiled cockily. That’s when he swung. His fist hit my face, bone cracking under the pressure. I spun, landing back down on the pavement. My vision began to blur, blood red mixed with black. The last thing I remember was a women leaning over me, her face hard with concern, fear, and surprise. That’s when I blacked out.

Yep, just a usual day in the life of Jonathan Featherwind, spell caster, demon slayer, monster vanquisher, and all round wizard. I provide help when asked and blow stuff up when threatened, but only if I have to.

Who knows, maybe today can still turn out for the best?
Omega 505
Omega 505
Minion

Male Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-11-21

http://omega505.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

[ON] In The Endless Night Empty Re: [ON] In The Endless Night

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:30 pm

This should be interesting....Your prologue is a little short though.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Omega 505 wrote:spell caster, demon slayer, monster vanquisher, and all round wizard
How very Jim Butcher of you.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 am

I'm going to give my criticism as much as people dislike it in this sub-forum.

It's overly descriptive in terms of single actions, and under-descriptive in terms of the actual story. You've not established anything going on apart from a strange man chasing the protagonist, yet at the same time you've managed to overly describe the minor and infrequent actions with a high level of detail that's pretty unnecessary.

And as I've said to the others who write here, you need an interesting structure for your sentences. Not just the same old "I walked slowly, trying to look at what was going on" or "The door slammed, making a loud noise". It gets incredibly monotonous after about 3 paragraphs, and it makes for boring writing.

Before somebody jumps in and says "This is a fan fiction section for teenagers" and that I "shouldn't expect a masterpiece", what I'm asking for doesn't require amazing literary and/or literacy ability. It's just basic sentence structure, and creativity.

Also you need to watch your tense at a few points. Switches around a little bit.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Male Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Ziggy, it's NOT EVEN DONE. He's giving a little view into it. Wait till he actually finishes a chapter.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:55 pm

Gold wrote:Ziggy, it's NOT EVEN DONE. He's giving a little view into it. Wait till he actually finishes a chapter.

^^^This.

Ziggy you need to settle the hell down with the critisism.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:
Gold wrote:Ziggy, it's NOT EVEN DONE. He's giving a little view into it. Wait till he actually finishes a chapter.

^^^This.

Ziggy you need to settle the hell down with the critisism.

Settle down? How am I worked up or agitated at all? I'm just simply pointing out the flaws and giving him constructive criticism.

I think you lot need to calm down and realise that criticism is acceptable. It's not ad hominem or just plain abusive, so it's perfectly fine. How is his writing style going to develop if nobody bothers to point out any of the flaws, or suggests alternatives? Simply saying "Great piece!" to every thing somebody writes will not better their writing style at all.

And still, just because it's a prologue, doesn't mean it's exempt from criticism. And even still, a prologue is supposed to introduce the story. That really didn't introduce or establish much to the reader apart from those few lines at the end. The rest seems rather superfluous in establishing the plot.

And I am not saying this in a malevolent or rude way, I'm just simply giving constructive criticism.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:30 pm

You made yourself sound more like a jackass than anything. Watch how you word things in the future.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:34 pm

I'm on ziggy's side... we get no where if people just pat us on the back and say "nice job".

Even if he sounds mean, he is still helping.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gold Spartan Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:58 pm

Gauz wrote:I'm on ziggy's side... we get no where if people just pat us on the back and say "nice job".

Even if he sounds mean, he is still helping.
I'm not disagreeing, it's only critizing one page of work doesnt seem like it's neccesarily needed. Especially when he hasnt even finished said page.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:You made yourself sound more like a jackass than anything. Watch how you word things in the future.

So I'm the one sounding like a jackass when you're the one telling me to "settle the hell down" for giving criticism? Nice logic there, buddy.
Otherwise, if you want to explain how I sound like such a jackass, please go ahead.

Gold wrote:
I'm not disagreeing, it's only critizing one page of work doesnt seem like it's neccesarily needed. Especially when he hasnt even finished said page.

That's true I guess, but I'm commenting less on the plot and more on the establishment of the plot in the prologue, and the general writing style. The writing style is probably going to be the same as the prologue's writing style, presumably, so I thought I may as well offer my advice on how to improve it.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by R!zZle BiZzl£ Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:51 am

lol, have you guys noticed how nearly every thead in TCF has turned into a an argument?
i think ziggy didnt need to calm down, but just mellow his critisism a bit, but i thought his critisism would be helpful for omega.
Personally i liked it ,a bit short, but when he was descibing that scene i could visualise it, so well done. Smile
R!zZle BiZzl£
R!zZle BiZzl£
Minion

Male Number of posts : 354
Registration date : 2009-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:21 am

R!zZle BiZzl£ wrote:lol, have you guys noticed how nearly every thead in TCF has turned into a an argument?
i think ziggy didnt need to calm down, but just mellow his critisism a bit, but i thought his critisism would be helpful for omega.
Personally i liked it ,a bit short, but when he was descibing that scene i could visualise it, so well done. Smile

Yeah, the reason every one ends up in an argument is that there are so many hormonal 15 year old pseudo-intelligent American teenagers who think that every point or opinion that they hold is valid and worth arguing. That, and the fact that all of the aforementioned teenagers seem to take offense to any and every comment, are the two root causes of all the conflict on this forum.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:57 pm

I think when it comes down to it, if you dont like how something is written in this sub-forum, then don't read it. That simple.

If you really want to improve things you are going to have to either
A. Provide people with examples of masterpiece writing
B. Make all the peopl take writing classes
C. Get new people

Hell, start your own writing class on this site. Go make a thread. Maybe that would improve the writing here to what you want.

I personally hate how every thread is an argument now. Sure, some may not be for a short time, but then someone comes and trolls it to turn it into one.
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Arguments.

Hate them.

Especially the pointless ones.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:24 pm

Seath, I don't know what kind of fucked up perception of reality that you hold, but clearly when somebody writes something and says "comments are wonderful", criticism is welcome and encouraged.

And as I said before, the arguments that start on this forum are mainly due to certain people who react to almost every partially contentious comment made, as well as those who hold grudges against other users and constantly attack their posts purely because they don't like them.
Oh, and add that to the huge levels of bigotry, arrogance and pseudo-intelligence and you've got a lovely mess of arguing and bickering.

This whole forum just needs to chill the fuck out and not decide to argue every single god damn point to the bone.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:19 pm

Ziggy wrote:This whole forum just needs to chill the fuck out and not decide to argue every single god damn point to the bone.

Behold! The Truth!
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Ziggy wrote:Seath, I don't know what kind of fucked up perception of reality that you hold, but clearly when somebody writes something and says "comments are wonderful", criticism is welcome and encouraged.

And as I said before, the arguments that start on this forum are mainly due to certain people who react to almost every partially contentious comment made, as well as those who hold grudges against other users and constantly attack their posts purely because they don't like them.
Oh, and add that to the huge levels of bigotry, arrogance and pseudo-intelligence and you've got a lovely mess of arguing and bickering.

This whole forum just needs to chill the fuck out and not decide to argue every single god damn point to the bone.

Ziggy wrote:there are so many hormonal 15 year old pseudo-intelligent American teenagers who think that every point or opinion that they hold is valid and worth arguing. That, and the fact that all of the aforementioned teenagers seem to take offense to any and every comment.

LOL.

Look whos talking.

inb4hormonal15yearoldpseudo-intelligentAmericanteenagersrage
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:15 pm

"just mellow his critisism a bit"

THAT was what I had meant. I just couldn't think of a better word or phrase at the time. But in all seriousness, I think we should stop ruining this thread.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:19 pm

Ascendant Justice wrote:

LOL.

Look whos talking.

inb4hormonal15yearoldpseudo-intelligentAmericanteenagersrage

Cool story bro.

Non-hormonal 16 year old from Australia != hormonal 15 year old from America

And the psuedo-intelligence? I guess there's no point debating that, but whatevs.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Ziggy wrote:Seath, I don't know what kind of fucked up perception of reality that you hold, but clearly when somebody writes something and says "comments are wonderful", criticism is welcome and encouraged.

Really, all you did was complain about all FF in general
Kasrkin Seath
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ziggy Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Kasrkin Seath wrote:

Really, all you did was complain about all FF in general

If you actually read my initial post in this thread you'd see the suggestions I made were clearly not complaints.
Ziggy
Ziggy
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down