Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

StarCraft 2

+33
JumpingJet
GreyApothecary
Ruski
kslidz
dragoon9105
Rotaretilbo
BBJynne
tiny tim
Death no More
CivBase
Vtrooper
Felix
LeafyOwNu2
MrX
Divine Virus
Zaki90
Kasrkin Seath
Dud Doodoo
Barbbachello
Elabajaba
Nocbl2
KrAzY
Lord Pheonix
JB
KristallNacht
TNine
Untamed Reign
Gauz
Rasq'uire'laskar
A_Bearded_Swede
Gold Spartan
Angatar
Ascendant Justice
37 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

StarCraft 2 - Page 9 Empty Re: StarCraft 2

Post by GreyApothecary Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:33 am

around 300 to 700 aus dollars
GreyApothecary
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:32 am

yeah you're fucked

jk, i got a gaming laptop for $800 and laptops automatically cost more anyway.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:29 pm

Ya, my budget is around 700$-800$ or so too, and my dad won't let me built my own :p

But he might be able to get a discount on HP and Dell ones. What good gaming computers are out there around that price?
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:29 pm

If you're buying a gaming computer, don't buy an HP/Dell, they're overpriced crap that come with a lot of bloatware.

For your price range, I'd recommend this. Decent brand, pretty good processor, pretty good gpu.
If you're shopping on your own, here's a basic guide of what to look for. Intel has different variations on the i5 series, theres the new ones which are dual core, and the old ones which are quad core. Old ones are better in this case, check the number beside the processor, if it's an i5 7xx, then its a good one. If the number is higher than 750, it's a better processor, naming system is simple for the newer Intel processors. For AMD processors, you'll want a Phenom II x4 (prolly a 965/955)or x6(x4 is quad core, x6 is hexa core, you won't really see a difference between a Phenom II x4 965/955 and a Phenom II x6 currently since games have yet to be optimized for hexacore processors). Same goes for gpus, Nvidia is currently at 4xx/5xx, while ATI is at 5xxx/6xxx(ATI made a stupid move with naming for the 6xxx series though, since the 6870 is worse than the 5870 in terms of performance, so watch out for that). Make sure to check benchmarks if you're looking at stuff on your own. 4gb of ram is standard, check the psu and try to get one over 500w (this is a handy tool to check around whether your powersupply is good enough) In terms of what to look for in a gpu, you'll probably want an NVidia 460 or better (higher number in same series is better(first number is series, 2nd is how good it is), if comparing graphics cards in different series, check benchmarks to see how they compare. For ATI graphics cards (could be called AMD graphics card, since they changed the name recently), you'll want a 5750/5770 or better (as with nvidia, the series is the first number, 2nd number is how good it is, 3rd number also how good it is (however, a 5830 still beats a 5770, since the 2nd number is bigger), 4th number is always 0 (I think))

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Alright. Thank you a lot Elabajaba, i definitely owe you one.

My dad is still laughing about buying our computer based on the recommendation of a guy he's never met. He started laughing harder when i showed him the price/value because it was the best advice we've gotten.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by JumpingJet Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:12 am

Elabajaba wrote:If you're buying a gaming computer, don't buy an HP/Dell, they're overpriced crap that come with a lot of bloatware.

For your price range, I'd recommend this. Decent brand, pretty good processor, pretty good gpu.
If you're shopping on your own, here's a basic guide of what to look for. Intel has different variations on the i5 series, theres the new ones which are dual core, and the old ones which are quad core. Old ones are better in this case, check the number beside the processor, if it's an i5 7xx, then its a good one. If the number is higher than 750, it's a better processor, naming system is simple for the newer Intel processors. For AMD processors, you'll want a Phenom II x4 (prolly a 965/955)or x6(x4 is quad core, x6 is hexa core, you won't really see a difference between a Phenom II x4 965/955 and a Phenom II x6 currently since games have yet to be optimized for hexacore processors). Same goes for gpus, Nvidia is currently at 4xx/5xx, while ATI is at 5xxx/6xxx(ATI made a stupid move with naming for the 6xxx series though, since the 6870 is worse than the 5870 in terms of performance, so watch out for that). Make sure to check benchmarks if you're looking at stuff on your own. 4gb of ram is standard, check the psu and try to get one over 500w (this is a handy tool to check around whether your powersupply is good enough) In terms of what to look for in a gpu, you'll probably want an NVidia 460 or better (higher number in same series is better(first number is series, 2nd is how good it is), if comparing graphics cards in different series, check benchmarks to see how they compare. For ATI graphics cards (could be called AMD graphics card, since they changed the name recently), you'll want a 5750/5770 or better (as with nvidia, the series is the first number, 2nd number is how good it is, 3rd number also how good it is (however, a 5830 still beats a 5770, since the 2nd number is bigger), 4th number is always 0 (I think))

tl;dr
JumpingJet
JumpingJet
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1269
Registration date : 2009-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:17 am

TNine wrote:Alright. Thank you a lot Elabajaba, i definitely owe you one.

My dad is still laughing about buying our computer based on the recommendation of a guy he's never met. He started laughing harder when i showed him the price/value because it was the best advice we've gotten.
We're telling you HOW to find a good laptop. I definitely don't recommend limiting your choices to what we've shown you. Look around for laptops within your price range and find the best one you can using what we've told you.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:03 am

Well, if you want to compare it to a similar priced hp, this is what they have at a similar price. It's got a bit better cpu and a bit more ram, but the gpu is awful, would cost you about another $150 to get the same one in the one i recommended, and the powersupply in the hp one is crap (only 300w, half that in the cyber power one, means you would have to upgrade the powersupply as well, which is a pain to do). Similar computer from dell costs over $800. Now, if you don't have a monitor and speakers, that's probably gonna add about $200 to the price.

CivBase wrote:We're telling you HOW to find a good laptop. I definitely don't recommend limiting your choices to what we've shown you. Look around for laptops within your price range and find the best one you can using what we've told you.

I thought we were looking for a desktop?

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:25 pm

CivBase wrote:

We're telling you HOW to find a good laptop. I definitely don't recommend limiting your choices to what we've shown you. Look around for laptops within your price range and find the best one you can using what we've told you.
I know, and i am. I'm just not finding anything very good, cause i'm not good at looking at all.
Elabajaba wrote:
Well, if you want to compare it to a similar priced hp, this is what they have at a similar price. It's got a bit better cpu and a bit more ram, but the gpu is awful, would cost you about another $150 to get the same one in the one i recommended, and the powersupply in the hp one is crap (only 300w, half that in the cyber power one, means you would have to upgrade the powersupply as well, which is a pain to do). Similar computer from dell costs over $800. Now, if you don't have a monitor and speakers, that's probably gonna add about $200 to the price.
Don't worry, i have the peripherals i need (good speakers, great monitor, old but good keyboard).

And that computer is essentially with the same problems i have right now, good processor but bad GPU. Considering my dad won't let me within 100 feet of our computer with a screwdriver, i don't think he would be especially happy about me dissecting our new computer. Not to mention that the graphics will be one of the more obvious results of the upgrade, i'd just prefer to get a good GPU right off the bat.

Not to mention the fact that in order to get most of the good features on that HP, it'd cost more than the computer you are recommending or probably a few others i can find. The recommended is 880$, i doubt that his buisness discount will be good enough to cover that. I'm guessing neither side comes with all of Microsoft Office, but the Newegg computer can be packaged with MS office, so that is another benefit. I'll see if there is anything better, but i don't think i'll find much if any.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:23 pm

I'd like to thank you too Elab. Because these posts are not only helpful to TNine who asked you directly, but they've also helpful to me who's been watching from the sidelines.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:01 pm

Divine Virus wrote:I'd like to thank you too Elab. Because these posts are not only helpful to TNine who asked you directly, but they've also helpful to me who's been watching from the sidelines.

No problem, if you have any questions just ask, and I'll try my best to answer them.

Last edited by Elabajaba on Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:56 pm

Anybody want to play?

Hmmm... on second thought my game has started freezng on the loading screen. Same for Civ 5. They were working fine the other day. Any suggestions?

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2259
Registration date : 2009-02-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:12 pm

Update drivers?
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:31 pm

I'll try it.

The last thing that changed was I got the SC update.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:57 pm

I feel so lonely as whenever I go, noone else is on Sad
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Cheese Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:04 pm

I'll play with you sometime. I think the problem is a server issue due to Cataclysm. Should be ok soon.

Cheese
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:10 pm

hopefully
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:16 am

Okay, my mom talked to a guy from Dell to find a good computer, and here are the specs to the computer they want to sell us:
Spoiler:

The CyberPower computer i am comparing it to is here, and is 250$ cheaper without getting any of the peripherals, or any of the software required. The difference is that the Alienware has a better memory (4x2GB compared to 2x2GB), but the Alienware is running a 5670 Radeon HD as compared to the Cyberpower's 5770 Radeon HD. Both of these are fairly good computer, but my parents really want the Alienware for the warranty. Is it a good deal?

Edit: 1.) It's not alienware.
2.) I can upgrade the graphics card.

So actually i'm set. A full new gaming computer for $1069.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:37 pm

The 5750 is about 40% faster than the 5670, and the 5770 is about 15% faster than the 5750, so the 5770 has quite the advantage over the 5670. The difference in ram won't really benefit you since I don't think you're going to be doing anything that could use all 8 gb (don't think you're doing any 3d modeling or working with large photoshop files, main things that would benefit from that). Also, both of them have dual core processors, with the difference being that the cyberpower has an unlocked processor (means easier overclocking, though i doubt you'll be doing that).

This is better than the cyber power and costs less, has the same warranty as the cyberpower (also, the dell warranty part is really confusing, and the only software really worth anything that comes with the dell is office (most of the software they're trying to sell you is free, and office costs about 125). If you need a monitor, the dell one only costs about $115, so you can easily buy a comparable one for that price (I'd recommend a monitor with a screen resolution of about 1600 x something(usually either 1600x900, 1600x1200, or 1680x1050)).

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:11 pm

sounds a bit like a rip off.

My laptop cost less with somewhat comparable specs. The biggest thing with buying a computer no matter where you get it from, is to tell the sales person, right after picking the computer, that you don't want anything else they're gonna try to sell you, except maybe the warranty.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:05 pm

Elabajaba wrote:The 5750 is about 40% faster than the 5670, and the 5770 is about 15% faster than the 5750, so the 5770 has quite the advantage over the 5670. The difference in ram won't really benefit you since I don't think you're going to be doing anything that could use all 8 gb (don't think you're doing any 3d modeling or working with large photoshop files, main things that would benefit from that). Also, both of them have dual core processors, with the difference being that the cyberpower has an unlocked processor (means easier overclocking, though i doubt you'll be doing that).
Yeah, but i can actually upgrade the graphics card in the Dell one, it's coming with a ATI Radeon 5770.

Elabaja wrote:This is better than the cyber power and costs less, has the same warranty as the cyberpower (also, the dell warranty part is really confusing, and the only software really worth anything that comes with the dell is office (most of the software they're trying to sell you is free, and office costs about 125). If you need a monitor, the dell one only costs about $115, so you can easily buy a comparable one for that price (I'd recommend a monitor with a screen resolution of about 1600 x something(usually either 1600x900, 1600x1200, or 1680x1050)).
1.) Checked the reviews for that PC, apparently, it has some serious sound issues with the fan. I am normally on the computer when my family is in the room watching TV or taking a nap or something. They complain about our fairly quiet fan, they'd kill me if i got this.

2.) Micrsoft Office+Monitor+iBUTPOWER actually costs the same as the PC i am trying to buy. ~125 + ~115 + 830 = ~1070, as compared to the 1069 that it costs from Dell. Seeing as the computer you are recommended has half the HDD, the Dell computer might be the better deal. Especially considering that my parents would not be pleased with me buying a computer that is bright orange, a glass window, and has a blue LED fan >.<
TNine
TNine
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Vtrooper Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:39 pm

who has this again?
Vtrooper
Vtrooper
Crimson Henchmen