Legalization of Marijuana

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Should we?

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_lcap23%Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_rcap 23% 
[ 7 ]
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_lcap33%Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_rcap 33% 
[ 10 ]
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_lcap13%Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_rcap 13% 
[ 4 ]
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_lcap30%Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Vote_rcap 30% 
[ 9 ]
 
Total Votes : 30

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by CivBase on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:47 pm

Onyxknight wrote:don't get me started on inhalants...
Don't need to.
Inhailants are poisons, not drugs, end of story.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Onyxknight on Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:48 pm

CivBase wrote:
Onyxknight wrote:don't get me started on inhalants...
Don't need to.
Inhailants are poisons, not drugs, end of story.
right the ngood day/night whatever you want to call it ^.^
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Age : 25
Location : wherever i want to be....maybe in your house o.O
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KristallNacht on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:11 pm

CivBase wrote:
Doesn't matter. My point is that people will still do it.
People still do it now. So that won't increase. In fact, after the first time, I know of no one that has driven high again.

civbase wrote:
So yah, over time they smoked more and more. That would be because their bodies are building up a tollerance. Within a few years, it will be too weak to enduce the high they are in search of. Whether they move on to a stronger drug or not depends on who they are.
Only a small few ever got to once a day. And the people I know that moved up to E only did so because their dealers said "hey you should try this." They didn't go in search of it, or even think about trying it.

civbase wrote:
In your post you quoted yourself. Go ahead and look.
or you could show me.

civbase wrote:
Yes, because every other person I see on the streets uses marijuana...
A very very clear majority of americans are social drinkers (as in holidays and family get-togethers and whatnot).
You'd be surprised who does and does not use marijuana.

civbase wrote:
Have you not done the same with what you've seen? They haven't had any problems yet, so they never will is basicly what I'm hearing from you.
I've found a LOT of people. None have had problems. One of my friends PARENTS even smoke. They have for a long time. Either way, you're using the rare but possible situations as a generality.

civbase wrote:
After extended use of the drug, the dopamine production comes to a hault. I never said it is the extensive output of dopamine that causes this, that is where the chemicals in the drug come into play.
What you said was repeated outside stimulation that causes the body to release a hormone/chemical eventually leads to no regular releases of such a hormone/chemical.

civbase wrote:
hehe, that rhymes
No, long term use leads to long term problems. Legalizing the drug will obviously lead to long term abusers as this is an extreamly addictive drug. You don't need to smoke it 10x a day to have long term effects from it. 1x a week works just fine.
Long term drinking of coffee has long term problems. It's proven that drinking coffee/caffeinated products on a regular basis reduces the brains functionality when not under its influenced. Second, Marijuana has no withdrawals, and thus isn't addictive. People want it, but I've never found anyone that has ever felt that they needed it. Even when off it for over a month.

civbase wrote:
No, it isn't. It leads them away from driving, how does that decrease danger? That just means that there's no increase in danger. And as I said before, they still did it. They forced themselves into the situation and they did it. IT WILL HAPPEN! And if it happens at all, that is obviously an increase in danger.
I said it makes the act more dangerous, though still not much more dangerous, but it decreases the chance the act will happen. You also seem to think that DUI instantly = death. How many people drink and drive and don't die? A SHIT LOAD. I still have yet to here of a marijuana induced traffic collision.

civbase wrote:
No they are not. I have said it before and I will say it again, drugs use foreign chemicals while sex uses chemicals that your body is built to create. That is why having sex doesn't give you lung cancer, genius.
Drugs use their own chemicals to INDUCE a chemical release in the body. Sex uses action to induce a chemical release.

Oh, and Marijuana doesn't give you lung cancer, genius.

civbase wrote:
Like I said before, having sex doesn't give you lung cancer. You only pointed out one of numerous effects. Getting birthday preasents increases endorphine output, but it doesn't have the same effects as smoking marijuana.
Marijuana doesn't give you lung cancer either, and as I've said already, we are on one point, the dangerous effects of marijuana are a different piece of the puzzle. Too bad you are talking about this piece of CHEMICAL DEPENDANCY. Lung cancer has nothing to do with dependancy.

civbase wrote:
The effects of chemical dependency? Ha! I believe there was a woman in the news a while back. She smoked weed every day in the same spot, in the corner of the third floor of some building. Well, one day she went there and the building had been demolished. So, she went next door, third floor, corner. They found her dead a while later. Why? Because her brain went crazy, that's why. When faced with a different surrounding, her brain basicly had a nervous breakdown and shutdown itself. There's just possible one long-term effect of chemical dependency.
Congratulations. One woman, in a contest, drank 8 gallons of water and died. Thus, water MUST always kill people!!!! See the ignorance?

civbase wrote:
Said it before, saying it again. Judgement is the first thing to go.
Go get high or drink. Judgment isn't the first thing to go. It's actually one of the later things to go. With marijuana, your judgment actually gets better in the areas it actually matters.

civbase wrote:
Beautiful, isn't it? This is the result of tar from ciagarettes. Now, lets multiply that by 6 and see what happens.

Oh, lovely. Because the tar from cigarettes obviously don't kill people...
Brilliant, now actually find out how long that person had been smoking and how many a day. Chances are its far longer and far more times a day than anyone that smokes marijuana does. Don't you love it when people use information completely out of context.

civbase wrote:
So it's an inhailent? Well, there you go. Inhailents are worse than any drug, but you obviously can't make them illegal.

It's not an inhalant. It's an incense. It's meant to be used as an incense. And people that do illegal things with it SMOKE IT like they would any plant.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by BBJynne on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:18 pm

I'd start using marijuana if it was legal, but i don't use now



im thinking a few people would also do that

just putting that out there

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Age : 27
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by CivBase on Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:36 pm

KristallNacht wrote:
CivBase wrote:
Doesn't matter. My point is that people will still do it.
People still do it now. So that won't increase. In fact, after the first time, I know of no one that has driven high again.
Sure it will increase. More people with the drug = more driving while high.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
So yah, over time they smoked more and more. That would be because their bodies are building up a tollerance. Within a few years, it will be too weak to enduce the high they are in search of. Whether they move on to a stronger drug or not depends on who they are.
Only a small few ever got to once a day. And the people I know that moved up to E only did so because their dealers said "hey you should try this." They didn't go in search of it, or even think about trying it.
Yah, but they had no reason to say no being as their marijuana wasn't providing a high any more.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
In your post you quoted yourself. Go ahead and look.
or you could show me.
How? In a quote?
Fine, I'll get a screeny because you're too lazy to check it.
Here

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
Have you not done the same with what you've seen? They haven't had any problems yet, so they never will is basicly what I'm hearing from you.
I've found a LOT of people. None have had problems. One of my friends PARENTS even smoke. They have for a long time. Either way, you're using the rare but possible situations as a generality.
And prehaps they have a physical dependence instead of a psycological one. Chemical dependences are psycological.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
After extended use of the drug, the dopamine production comes to a hault. I never said it is the extensive output of dopamine that causes this, that is where the chemicals in the drug come into play.
What you said was repeated outside stimulation that causes the body to release a hormone/chemical eventually leads to no regular releases of such a hormone/chemical.
I never said that the stimulation causes it. It is mearly a side effect.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
No, it isn't. It leads them away from driving, how does that decrease danger? That just means that there's no increase in danger. And as I said before, they still did it. They forced themselves into the situation and they did it. IT WILL HAPPEN! And if it happens at all, that is obviously an increase in danger.
I said it makes the act more dangerous, though still not much more dangerous, but it decreases the chance the act will happen. You also seem to think that DUI instantly = death. How many people drink and drive and don't die? A SHIT LOAD. I still have yet to here of a marijuana induced traffic collision.
Not near as many people smoke marijuana as those that drink alcohol. And I do not think that DUI means instant death, but there is a definite chance, far greater than regular driving.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
No they are not. I have said it before and I will say it again, drugs use foreign chemicals while sex uses chemicals that your body is built to create. That is why having sex doesn't give you lung cancer, genius.
Drugs use their own chemicals to INDUCE a chemical release in the body. Sex uses action to induce a chemical release.
Yes, exactly. And the chemicals that induce the reaction have such undesired side effects.

KristallNacht wrote:Oh, and Marijuana doesn't give you lung cancer, genius.
But the smoke from it does. Last I check, you don't smoke sex.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
Like I said before, having sex doesn't give you lung cancer. You only pointed out one of numerous effects. Getting birthday preasents increases endorphine output, but it doesn't have the same effects as smoking marijuana.
Marijuana doesn't give you lung cancer either, and as I've said already, we are on one point, the dangerous effects of marijuana are a different piece of the puzzle. Too bad you are talking about this piece of CHEMICAL DEPENDANCY. Lung cancer has nothing to do with dependancy.
So? Because we're talking about a specific effect I can't refur to others?

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
The effects of chemical dependency? Ha! I believe there was a woman in the news a while back. She smoked weed every day in the same spot, in the corner of the third floor of some building. Well, one day she went there and the building had been demolished. So, she went next door, third floor, corner. They found her dead a while later. Why? Because her brain went crazy, that's why. When faced with a different surrounding, her brain basicly had a nervous breakdown and shutdown itself. There's just possible one long-term effect of chemical dependency.
Congratulations. One woman, in a contest, drank 8 gallons of water and died. Thus, water MUST always kill people!!!! See the ignorance?
You've already said that you can't OD on marijuana. And, you just said that we can't refur to other effects. Drinking 8 gallons of water has nothing to do with chemical dependency.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
Said it before, saying it again. Judgement is the first thing to go.
Go get high or drink. Judgment isn't the first thing to go. It's actually one of the later things to go. With marijuana, your judgment actually gets better in the areas it actually matters.
Yah, you'd think that because your judgement is the first thing to go.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
Beautiful, isn't it? This is the result of tar from ciagarettes. Now, lets multiply that by 6 and see what happens.

Oh, lovely. Because the tar from cigarettes obviously don't kill people...
Brilliant, now actually find out how long that person had been smoking and how many a day. Chances are its far longer and far more times a day than anyone that smokes marijuana does. Don't you love it when people use information completely out of context.
You're right. Maybe that person was doing a pack a day for 50 years strait. Silly me, using unrealistic examples. So now let's do some math... so marijuana twice a day for 50 years gets you the same result. Waduya know.

KristallNacht wrote:
civbase wrote:
So it's an inhailent? Well, there you go. Inhailents are worse than any drug, but you obviously can't make them illegal.
It's not an inhalant. It's an incense. It's meant to be used as an incense. And people that do illegal things with it SMOKE IT like they would any plant.
Okay, then it should be illegal. Your point? I'm guessing it's something like with the alcohol, it should be outlawed before marijuana. Well guess what? You're right. Here's a cookie.
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Best_Cookie-20
However, I still fail to see the relation between this and marijuana.

BBJynne wrote:I'd start using marijuana if it was legal, but i don't use now



im thinking a few people would also do that

just putting that out there
I'd say don't, but that wouldn't go over so well in a debate thread.


Last edited by CivBase on Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Bzsigy2
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Location : Etchisketchistan
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Toaster on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:04 pm

You're right. Maybe that person was doing a pack a day for 50 years strait. Silly me, using unrealistic examples. So now let's do some math... so marijuana twice a day for 50 years gets you the same result. Waduya know.

Again, as NT said, this is completely irrelevant. Cigarettes have nicotine and are thus addictive. Marijuana is not. Most pot smokers do not smoke twice a day. Many are much more casual, and only smoke on occasion.
Toaster
Toaster
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2715
Age : 26
Location : Ohio
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Lord Pheonix on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:26 pm

I know dudes that drive better high, boosts their conecentration




Its only illegeal because the government can't make a profit off of it.


They made alcohol illegal at one point, but brought it back once THEY were the main and ONLY distributor of it. Making sure that they make the money.


If they could find a way to be the only seller of marijuana then they would do the same and make it legal, but they can't and for the forseeable future won't.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Pheonix92
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Gold Spartan on Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:54 pm

Hell no. Just HELL NO! The long term(and short term) effects are even worse than tobacco. as said previously, Marijuana effects your vision, builds up tar in your lungs faster than cigarettes, and increases your rate of cancer at a faster rate than tobacco. The marijuana plant should be erased from existence! If you ask me.
Gold Spartan
Gold Spartan
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 3405
Age : 24
Location : Kentucky, where else?
Registration date : 2008-03-24

http://www.fftu.info/forum/index.php?

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KristallNacht on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:36 pm

CivBase wrote:
Sure it will increase. More people with the drug = more driving while high.
More people paranoid about driving = less people driving high.
More people inclined to stay home and watch cops = less people driving

civbase wrote:
Yah, but they had no reason to say no being as their marijuana wasn't providing a high any more.
Actually it was. Many went back to marijuana exclusively. But that doesn't change the fact ASSOCIATION caused them to try it in the first place.

civbase wrote:
Here
I'll give you that, I accidentally forgot to cut that part out...so my statement in response to myself was actually waht you had said prior to that.

civbase wrote:
And prehaps they have a physical dependence instead of a psycological one. Chemical dependences are psycological.
Chemical Dependencies are physical. A dependency replaced with use of a PLACEBO = psychological. Either way, that doesn't change the fact very few have serious problems associated with marijuana. Those that do are irresponsible with their entire lives in the first place.

civbase wrote:
I never said that the stimulation causes it. It is mearly a side effect.
But the stimulation of drugs causes natural chemicals to be released. As you yourself have said.

civbase wrote:
Not near as many people smoke marijuana as those that drink alcohol. And I do not think that DUI means instant death, but there is a definite chance, far greater than regular driving.
About the same amount of people smoke marijuana now as drank during the prohibition. And Marijuana based DUIs have a far lesser chance of getting into an accident than an alcohol induced DUI.

civbase wrote:
Yes, exactly. And the chemicals that induce the reaction have such undesired side effects.
Thus your argument that marijuana has a very unique and unprecedented side effect of lowered endorphin levels is null and void. Thanks for playing.


[qoute="civbase"]But the smoke from it does. Last I check, you don't smoke sex.[/quote]
Nor are you required to smoke marijuana.

civbase wrote:
So? Because we're talking about a specific effect I can't refur to others?
Not in relation to this bit of the argument, no. That would be a very scapegoat like tactic to attempt to substitute in an unrelated point to cover up the fact that one was falling apart.

civbase wrote:
You've already said that you can't OD on marijuana. And, you just said that we can't refur to other effects. Drinking 8 gallons of water has nothing to do with chemical dependency.
The point being made (via sarcasm which you don't seem to understand) is that using a solitary event as a standard is horribly ignorant.

civbase wrote:
Yah, you'd think that because your judgement is the first thing to go.
Except I'm looking back and judging the situation. The first thing to go is, and always will be, the pointless social boundaries people use to limit their actions.

civbase wrote:
You're right. Maybe that person was doing a pack a day for 50 years strait. Silly me, using unrealistic examples. So now let's do some math... so marijuana twice a day for 50 years gets you the same result. Waduya know.
Now look at peoples smoking habits. Oh wait, not that many people smoke marijuana twice a day. AND when they do, chances are they aren't even getting an entire cigarette's worth of marijuana.

civbase wrote:
Okay, then it should be illegal. Your point? I'm guessing it's something like with the alcohol, it should be outlawed before marijuana. Well guess what? You're right. Here's a cookie.

However, I still fail to see the relation between this and marijuana.
Things are legal for certain purposes and may be used outside. Doesn't stop the thing from being legal.

Lord Pheonix wrote:
Its only illegeal because the government can't make a profit off of it.

Actually, they very easily could. LA already has cannabis vending machines. By TAXING the weed, the government makes profit. Get it sold at wal-mart (since they'd sell anything) and it gets taxed.

Gold Spartan5 wrote:Hell no. Just HELL NO! The long term(and short term) effects are even worse than tobacco.
Explain.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Lord Pheonix on Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:17 am

Marijuana builds up more tar?




Thats just plain lies

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Pheonix92
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by capn qwerty on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:37 am

"Pics or it didn't happen!"
capn qwerty
capn qwerty
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2736
Age : 26
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Gauz on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Super-necro, I'm sorry, but now that we're all a bit older, marijuana is less of a mysterious drug, and it's 2012, I think this should be revived.

I think, objectively, the legalization of marijuana is only logical and reasonable.

Some of the concern with it in this thread was about driving while under the influence of marijuana. Driving while under the influence (which I'll just abbreviate as 'high' for brevity) isn't nearly as much of a problem as it's made out to be. People who are high driving are much more careful when compared to drunk people. Marijuana users often report feeling that they're moving faster than they actually going. The reverse is true for alcohol however.

There is no conclusive evidence stating that marijuana usage is dangerous to your health. Inhaling the smoke of ANY substance is dangerous and carcinogenic to your health, tobacco has MORE carcinogens than marijuana does though.

Marijuana is sorta-kinda a gateway drug. The reason for that is NOT the actual marijuana itself, but instead its illegal status. When marijuana consumers live in a state where it is illegal to buy marijuana for recreational use they have to resort to buying from underground networks of dealers. THIS IS WHERE EXPOSURE TO HARDER, ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES OCCURS!

The last point would be that the federal regulation of marijuana would result in millions upon millions of dollars tex gain AND savings in the justice department.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KrAzY on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:55 pm

the gateway part to marijuana is the crowd it makes people associate with to obtain it, not the act of smoking it itself.

they tried it with mice, and geing exposed to marijuana does not increase the chance of moving on to a harder drug like heroin. the opposite, however does occour with nicotine... which is legal.

alcohol is much more dangerous than marijuana. and it is a HUGE waste of tax-payer money to incarcerate people who are found with a little bit of pot or a growing a plant for themselfs. it is a financially unwinnable fight that doesn't have any positive effects for anyone. the simple fact that it is illegal causes more damage than the plant itself.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Lord Pheonix on Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 pm

And people who go to jail for years for marijuana more than likely come out as actual fucking criminals since they had to live that way to survive in the prison.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Pheonix92
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Gauz on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:10 pm

Seriously, it's like going from a rational person to the law sending you to prison to TRAIN you as a criminal THEY can catch! It's like....



batman!
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KristallNacht on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:52 pm

wow...
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Angatar on Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:26 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they legalized marijuana, the number of users would drop 'cause they're rebels.

Also, it'd probably be much more expensive than it is now.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Angatarcopy-1
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Age : 24
Location : Long Island
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:28 am

You miss several important points.

First, the reason that cigarettes are as carcinogenic as they are is because of how they are produced. If you grew your own tobacco and smoked it, it would probably be about as benign as weed is. However, if you legalize marijuana, who do you think is going to be producing and selling it? The big tobacco companies, of course. And what are the chances that they are going to spontaneously change the formula that is so successful with cigarettes? Slim to none, of course. Weed in its own right isn't dangerous right now, but put it into the hands of the big tobacco companies and you've got a cigarette that effectively makes you drunk, as well.

Moreover, you have ignored several other factors. A lot of people talk about marijuana as a safe drug because it is so incredibly difficult to actually overdose on. What you seem to forget is that marijuana still has an effect on the brain, even if it doesn't kill you outright. Marijuana impairs cognitive thought, but, unlike alcohol, the effects therein can last for days or even weeks after having used the drug. Someone who smokes marijuana frequently will be continuously in this impaired state. Studies have consistently linked chronic or frequent marijuana use to self-destructive behaviors such as skipping work, being late, having accidents, etc. Marijuana makes you feel happy for a few hours, and then makes you lazy and stupid for a few days.

Chronic marijuana use is also linked with various mental disorders, primarily in regards to emotional instability, such as anxiety and depression. It also has been linked with schizophrenia. While it doesn't appear to cause cancer outright, in every other way, marijuana is worse for your lungs and heart than tobacco is. Chronic marijuana users tend to suffer from more respiratory illnesses than tobacco users (again, cancer withstanding). Chronic marijuana users are also roughly five times more likely to suffer a heart attack after using.

So no, marijuana is not some perfectly safe, harmless substance. It might not be as dangerous as other substances, but writing it off like it's harmless is just as much bullshit as claiming that it kills brain cells and causes cancer.

Next up, you seem to be increasingly confused about the difference between jail and prison. So let me enlighten you. People who go to jail do not become criminal masterminds. Jail is a miserable place where people are constantly being moved in and out and around. You never get to know anyone, and you're never in one place long enough to really pick up anything. Jail is where you go for misdemeanor possession of weed. You can be there for up to a year. People who go to prison will have the opportunity to learn to be more efficient criminals. You're in one place, people aren't moving around as much, people don't leave nearly as often. Prison is where you go for felony possession and dealing. So no, Joe Schmoe who got caught with an ounce of pot isn't going to prison to become a hardened criminal. Dealer Jim, who is probably already a hardened criminal, is going to prison.

Moreover, you seem to be creating a false dilemma in which the only options are legalize marijuana or imprison offenders. We can change the punishment, as well. What if, instead of a $2000 fine and a year in jail, misdemeanor possession was just a $5000 fine. Suddenly, it is quite profitable for marijuana to be illegal.

And frankly, I can argue that it is unprofitable for any crime to be illegal. The judicial and prison systems are so horribly contrived that they sicken me. When the homeless want to be in jail/prison because it's nicer, there is a serious problem with the system. Every time we catch a killer, we take on the responsibility of paying for that fucker's room, board, and food for the rest of his life, or at least for a good twenty years. This isn't a reason to legalize things because they are "unprofitable". This is a reason to reform the actual system.

This all isn't to say that they shouldn't legalize marijuana. I just find it insulting that the people here are acting like legalization is the only reasonable recourse, when it very clearly is not.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Rot_cube_Signature-1
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4540
Age : 29
Location : Arizona
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Gauz on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:54 am

You're right, the tobacco industry would get involved with marijuana if it becomes legal. I don't think that all legal marijuana will have additives like tobacco though, because there'll always be the people who want just the organic marijuana w/o additives.

What is your source that the effects or marijuana in the brain last that much longer? I've never experienced that and I'm not sure if that's true. It has been linked with an increased chance of psychosis, but even they claimed they're uncertain about it. Although they have enough evidence to warn people that it may increase the chance of developing psychosis.

Marijuana also has been claimed to be used as medicine to treat some severe diseases successfully.

I guess if you make a ridiculous fine for possession it would still be profitable illegal, but I still think that's unreasonable (for such a petty crime). The profit off taxing it would be much greater. Plus it'll curb the usage of harder, more illegal substances.

I don't think marijuana is harmless, I never did, but I don't think it's nowhere near as harmful as it needs to be if it's going to be illegal.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:21 am

i don't have the time right now to read the whole thing so i'll just respond to this.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Moreover, you have ignored several other factors. A lot of people talk about marijuana as a safe drug because it is so incredibly difficult to actually overdose on. What you seem to forget is that marijuana still has an effect on the brain, even if it doesn't kill you outright. Marijuana impairs cognitive thought, but, unlike alcohol, the effects therein can last for days or even weeks after having used the drug. Someone who smokes marijuana frequently will be continuously in this impaired state. Studies have consistently linked chronic or frequent marijuana use to self-destructive behaviors such as skipping work, being late, having accidents, etc. Marijuana makes you feel happy for a few hours, and then makes you lazy and stupid for a few days.


I know people that smoke weed every day and graduated with honors and continue to do really well.

I really don't think its so much that marijuana causes people to skip work, just stupid people that want an excuse to skip work.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Location : San Diego, California
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:25 am

Correlation does not imply Causation.



Because a dumb fuck smokes weed and skips work does not mean that he skipped work because of weed, it's because he was a dumbfuck.


And their is a significant correlation between dumb fucks and people who smoke weed.

_________________
Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Pheonix92
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7572
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KrAzY on Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:26 am

Rot, you need to go look up some studies on the persistant mental state of chronic alcohol abusers. as that is SEVERELY more destructive than "skipping work, being late, having accidents"


it is not the federal governments job to stop people from doing something that is self destructive, states can get in on that, but mainly that is supposed to be a personal choice. I choose not to drink or smoke because I don't like it and I want to maximize how long I live.


also Rot, if you think that spending a year of your life in jail isn't damaging to someone and that they won't come out of it more likely to later go on to prison. you are flat out ignoring the actual statistics. And I won't even get started on the act of trying to make money off of people by making something illiegal and fining it away from them. that is SO unethical I honestly can't believe you would suggest something like that.


to be clear here. I have never smoked, tobacco or marijuana. and even if was legal I wouldn't. I also find people who are high to be incredibly irritating and I don't like to associate with them. I don't have a stake in this what-so-ever. but just because I don't like something doesn't mean it should be illiegal for people who want to waste their time, money, and potentially their health.
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Gauz on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:05 am

Persistent effects of marijuana after the 'noticeable' effects wear off is only a trait in chronic users of marijuana.

The link with marijuana and psychosis is there, but it isn't clear and I'm sure that the chances are only noticeable in those who are A. Chronic users and B. Have a genetic disposition to mental disorders.

Chronic use may be a risk in those with genetic dispositions to certain diseases.

The keyword is chronic.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:42 am

So, did nobody else see this?

Marijuana research

Also, there's a place I walk by on my way to school that smells like pot. I don't care how high you get, I can't imagine putting up with the smell.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Age : 29
Location : Follow the cold shivers running down your spine.
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by KrAzY on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:54 am

I will accept peer reviewed studies Rasq. not posts from the Huffington post with no listed sources.


get me the actual source on that and I will probably change my mind on this debate


Last edited by KrAzY on Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Age : 30
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Legalization of Marijuana - Page 4 Empty Re: Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum