Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Halo 5: Guardians

+8
Nocbl2
Rasq'uire'laskar
laxspartan007
KrAzY
PiEdude
Ruski
CivBase
Angatar
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Halo 5: Guardians Empty Halo 5: Guardians

Post by Angatar Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:48 pm

https://imgur.com/a/Zm0gi

I know a lot of people are apathetic about Halo, but I can't help be excited for a Republic Commando-like game with Blue Team.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Halo 5: Guardians Empty Re: Halo 5: Guardians

Post by CivBase Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:06 pm

Apparently it will not have split-screen.  I just finished a bit of a rant on the waypoint forums in response.

CivBase wrote:As a fan of Halo since the original and owner of every Halo game to date, I can say that a lack of split-screen may actually prevent me from buying Halo 5 - at least not until a significant price drop.

I never had Xbox Live for the original Xbox, so split-screen was my only way to enjoy any multiplayer experiences with Halo: CE and Halo 2. Without it, my interest in the game probably would have died long ago. Around the time of Halo 3, ODST, and Reach, I managed to acquire Xbox Live and a lot of friends who also enjoyed the Halo games. Thanks to this, my experience primarily transitioned to online coop, but I still frequently played games on split-screen with friends who were visiting or did not own a system of their own.

Then I went to college.

Suddenly, I was unable to balance work and school in a way which would allow me to devote much time to multiplayer. That - coupled with the progression system in Halo 4 - pushed me away from the multiplayer scene and, once again, a bulk of my experience with the game was from playing split-screen with friends. I recently purchased an Xbox One primarily for the single player portion of the Master Chief Collection. I have since played through many of the campaigns in split-screen with several friends who had never played Halo before and re-visited some campaigns on legendary with friends who had. In fact, that has accounted for a massive majority of my play time on the Xbox One - far beyond Destiny, Sunset Overdrive, or the MCC multiplayer.

Although I did not think Halo 4 was as good as most Halo games, I thought it was a good first entry from a new company and had high hopes for Halo 5. With this news, however, I feel like I will get far less replay value from the game and I do not feel it will be worth $60, especially after many of my friends have dropped Xbox for PC or PS4 in the wake of recent controversies.

In all honesty, I could not give the slightest toss about a graphics downgrade for split-screen play. I understand that, when it comes to implementing something like that, it is probably easier said than done. Still, I would much rather have more fun playing a game that looks alright than be stuck playing a great looking game by myself and have no desire to return to it when I'm done. After all, the Master Chief Collection seems to have sold extremely well and, frankly, those games don't hold a candle to today's graphics showpieces.

Maybe I'm in the minority of their sales demographic, but I can't imaging this wont have an impact on their sales. I do wish 343 the best of luck with the game, but I am very disappointed by this news and will probably wait a year or two for a big sale or drop in price. Without split-screen, Halo 5 is almost definitely not worth $60 to me and I will be interested how many others feel the same way.

-----

As a sort of side note, I find the big shift away from split-screen console games that we've seen over the past decade or so to be particularly strange. I know there are still other reasons to game on a console over PC, but it seems to me like consoles are giving up one of their greatest strengths: couch-based "party gaming". The internet can never completely supplant local multiplayer, and local multiplayer is only economically feasible for most people when split-screen is available.

Without the ability to play with friends locally, I may as well invest a bit more in a gaming PC with more accurate controls, more games, cheaper games, no added online costs, full backwards comparability, and better graphics. I can still plug it into my TV and use an Xbox controller for most games if I want that experience and a PC also allows me to access many additional services for working, communicating, browsing the web, and much more. I am quickly finding fewer and fewer reasons not to do this.

CivBase wrote:I feel like this is a prime example of why console games should offer some graphics options. Those who demand 60 FPS can lower the graphics options for split-screen. Those who are fine with 30 FPS can crank up the shiny to the next level - maybe even throw in some anti-aliasing or tessellation.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:13 am

https://i.imgur.com/8efW18p.jpg

Its pretty much confirmed that Buck's in now. High probability that he and maybe Romeo are with Locke, since they are still working for UNSC/ONI and are now Spartan-IV's.

Nathan Fillion looks great.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:23 am

Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:51 pm

"Holy shit Civ, we'll put in split-screen #Goddamn"
PiEdude
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:41 pm

Ruski wrote:https://i.imgur.com/8efW18p.jpg

Its pretty much confirmed that Buck's in now. High probability that he and maybe Romeo are with Locke, since they are still working for UNSC/ONI and are now Spartan-IV's.

Nathan Fillion looks great.

he looks more like charlie sheen to me
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:12 pm

Makes me want to re-watch Firefly...

PiEdude wrote:"Holy shit Civ, we'll put in split-screen #Goddamn"
CivBase is satisfied.

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:he looks more like charlie sheen to me
Cannot unsee
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by laxspartan007 Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:17 am

ITS FUCKING BLUE TEAM, but technically...you need 5 to be a full team, they only have 4. BECAUSE SAM DIED THEN KURT DIED...BUT YES THEY BROUGHT THE TEAM BACK!

REPUBLIC COMMANDO FLASHBACKS, ima go read fall of reach, first strike, maybe the flood, and ghosts of onyx again...
laxspartan007
laxspartan007
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1272
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:52 pm

My reaction overall:

Pros:
-Squad combat is something Reach needed, and Halo 5 looks like it'll deliver.
-The weapon sandbox looks better, and seems to be aping Call of Duty less.
-Beautiful visuals.

Cons:
-Prometheans are still in, dumber than ever.
-343i can't write for shit.
-We're rushing into yet another galactic struggle.
-Spartans look like shit. Buck and select members of Blue Team merely look terrible.
-We're still stuck with Halo 4-era Covenant.

Sorry I can't be more in-depth, I'm busy at the moment.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:09 pm

It looks interesting, but I'm not gonna buy an Xbox One for it Razz
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 pm

laxspartan007 wrote:ima go read fall of reach, first strike, maybe the flood, and ghosts of onyx again...

Why? Between Reach and 4, every book you listed is effectively no longer canon.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by laxspartan007 Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:22 pm

nostalgia sake and brushing up on blue team history, and the books that are relevant I recently finished anyway (Glasslands, The Thursday War, Mortal Dictata) so im not going to re-read them
laxspartan007
laxspartan007
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:19 pm

laxspartan007 wrote:(Glasslands, The Thursday War, Mortal Dictata) so im not going to re-read them
Why would you want to? Razz
Rasq'uire'laskar
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2929

Back to top Go down

Post by laxspartan007 Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:38 pm

I liked them, issues with cannon, but I liked the books for the good read.
laxspartan007
laxspartan007
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:38 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:
-343i can't write for shit.

I actually think Hunt the Truth was very well done, in writing and execution. The only thing I'm concerned about is it might end up like Spider-Man 3, where you got three half-assed villians rather than one whole-assed villian. Or Halo 2, which had a lot going on that didn't get closure.

343i also tries to tie the games to the other works, so while Halo CE, 2, and 3 can be played through without looking at other material and having their stories make sense, Halo 4 really requires you to either read the Greg Bear books or at minimum watch the terminals in Halo 4. Unfortunately, since you have to find the terminals as you play through (and also I think back out and use a Waypoint to watch them), it's unlikely you'll actually see them first time through.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:16 am

The shame is that we didn't want a plot so convoluted that you needed to have read a trilogy just to understand. All we've ever asked for was for the story to give a nod in our direction. Some little cameo or minor event that would acknowledge the books. Like if Halo: Reach, instead of destroying all established book canon just to shit in our cheerios, had just followed the basic events set up by Fall of Reach, and maybe one of the squads from Red Team makes an appearance, that would be all we needed.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:29 pm

So anyone play (or watch) halo 5 yet? Watched the whole thing today and I have to say it left me feeling... meh. Maybe it's cause I didn't play it or just cause my bitterness gave me bias in the other direction, so I was wondering what you guys thought.
Felix
Felix
Banana

Male Number of posts : 2083
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Back to top Go down

Post by TNine Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:29 pm

TBH i always a multiplayer kinda guy and i stopped following Halo after a little bit of Reach--i liked H3's gameplay with players constantly dueling it out with BRs and going for the 4-shots, i liked the run-and-gun playstyle where you are constantly fighting and shooting. Having the armor abilities and the sprint kinda tried to turn it into this pseudo-tactical game. It was super frustrating to run into someone, only to have them run away rather than fight you and be completely hopeless in trying to kill them in the meantime. I never played H4, but looking at H5--it has ADS?? There's no such thing as Halo with ADS imo.
TNine
TNine
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1200

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:26 pm

I used to be a story person, until I realized that I never pay attention to the story when I play games

I really like emergant gameplay and situations, where unexpected things happen and I cant pick out and guess story beats. so open ended games like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress appeal to me, as well as multiplayer that isnt super focused

I've kinda outgrown deathmatch games, I like objectives, but I like it best when its a big team going for the objective, I look forward to future war games like arma supporting teams with 200+ people per team
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:28 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:I used to be a story person, until I realized that I never pay attention to the story when I play games

I really like emergant gameplay and situations, where unexpected things happen and I cant pick out and guess story beats. so open ended games like Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress appeal to me, as well as multiplayer that isnt super focused

I've kinda outgrown deathmatch games, I like objectives, but I like it best when its a big team going for the objective, I look forward to future war games like arma supporting teams with 200+ people per team

We should play planetside 2 then Razz
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:30 pm

holy shit how havnt I heard of a game like this

im downloading it now, I hope it is as good as it sounds on its feature list
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Felix Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:08 pm

Mr.Inferior of the two Admins wrote:holy shit how havnt I heard of a game like this

im downloading it now, I hope it is as good as it sounds on its feature list

I find it enjoyable if that means anything. I just get bored on lonely when I have no one to play with Sad
Felix
Felix
Banana

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:12 pm

Given that Rot's idea was based off Planetside 1, you definitely have heard of it. :p

I'd be down to play Project Reality with anyone, though.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:42 pm

After having watched a playthrough of Halo 5, holy shit, 343i just doesn't know what to do.

Here is a reddit post which I thought touched on a lot of great points regarding Halo 5: Guardians:

"Completely agree. Reed seems like some writer that came into the franchise having not played the games. To prepare to write Halo 5, he had his 6 year old son explain the Forerunner books and then skimmed the wiki summary of the franchise. Spoiler

Halo 5's story has a few major flaws that I can't even rationalize: major spoilers and major bitching ahead
-Threads set up in Halo 4 are untouched. Librarian's Geas, Chief's humanity, Didact, Janus Key, all untouched.

-The game required knowledge of other material, leaving casual fans of the games in the dark, just like Halo 4. What's The Domain? Who is Chief's team really? What's with the Arbiter's war? I have friends who don't even understand why the covenant are even still a thing because they never explain it in the games. A single line of dialogue in the moment can solve a lot of these, and Blue Team as a whole just needed more material for Locke's description of them to stick.

-The narrative of the promo material was awesome and very robust, yet nonexistent in the game. This made it feel misleading.

-If we're gonna play 4/5 of the game as not Chief, the characters have to be endearing. Buck was the only good part of Osiris, and even he felt under represented. 343 also has a serious problem with creating new characters, not developing them, and then abandoning them. Vale and Tanaka's roles would be better off with filled by under used established characters. Palmer and Dare would have been good fits, and then make Palmer not infuriating so players can warm up to her, and maybe gasp she develop her attitude for the better after the events of Halo 4/Spartan Ops.

-Jul 'Mdame had a pretty anticlimactic death after his major role in Spartan Ops. His entire story could have been better told (see previous bullet...) and his death just seemed like a quick way to show off Locke as a badass so we'd like him, ending a big thread from Halo 4.

-Cortana being alive completely undermines the impact of Halo 4's ending.

-Claiming AIs were the actual Reclaimers is a huge retcon. Hopefully it's just Cortana being crazy (see next bullet)

-The Cortana we saw in Halo 5 is nothing like the character that had over a decade of development. The shift to her hating Halsey and totalitarian rule and AI > humans was on a dime and without an explanation, it is completely immersion breaking. At face value, it makes no fucking sense and honestly ruined the whole campaign for me. They can fix this with more story (say she's rampant crazy or the Domain corrupted her) but as it was presented I completely rejected it as a long time Halo fan.

-More story in Halo 6 can solve some of these issues, like the Cortana thing. But it doesn't change the fact the 343 intentionally will leave players feeling a certain way for 2 years, and they should have taken care to make sure players were not left disappointed. If they're going to have payoff's like Cortana is actually still rampant or the Domain is actually Gravemind's ass controlling her, lay some seeds now so people can speculate. As it stands there is no indication that the story at face value isn't the complete reality, and we'll have to stew in this for the next few years."
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Angatar wrote:Given that Rot's idea was based off Planetside 1, you definitely have heard of it. :p

I'd be down to play Project Reality with anyone, though.

you overestimate my ability to notice things in context
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next