Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ShootMania

+5
Lord Pheonix
KrAzY
dragoon9105
Ruski
Gauz
9 posters

Go down

ShootMania Empty ShootMania

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Oh look another Ubisoft IP, cool.

The trailer doesn't explain much, but I learned some form E3. Basically it'll be an FPS with the primary weapon being a rocket launcher. This is to make it different from most FPS's today, and it really does because you're not using an assault rifle to shoot brown people.

I saw another game mode that looked pretty sweet, it was team based. Each team had 3 people and each team would take turns sending one of their players to fight all 3 opposing players. Sounds rigged right? Well the cool part is the single guy in the 1v3 has a rail gun with a much faster projectile speed than the standard rocket launchers. The single player can only take two rocket hits, dying and losing the round on the second. If he kills all 3 enemies though his team is awarded a point. Then they rotate between each player until one team reaches 3 points I think? Looked cool
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

ShootMania Empty Re: ShootMania

Post by Ruski Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Looked generic to me, if not a rip off of Quake/UT. Kinda looked boring during the match they had at the Ubisoft conference.
Ruski
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh you couldn't be farther from the truth. Crysis 3 looked generic. Farcry 3 looked generic. CoD looked generic. Dead Space 3 (as of E3) looked generic. Medal Of Honor looked generic. Gears of War looked generic.

This on the other hand, does not look generic. Simple, yes but then again there is nothing wrong with being simple. Simple might be boring but it keeps things... well, simple.

Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:15 pm

Crysis Looked Like Crysis, Farcry Looked Like Farcry and Cod Looked like Cod.

Also your accusing Cod of Being Generic? Cod tells everyone else what Generic Is.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2839
Registration date : 2009-02-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:22 pm

Yes, I'm calling CoD generic, cuz it is. The point that I was making was that they're all cover-based 'realistic' shooters, and that there are a lot of them.

ShootMania is not apart of that group and therefore is not generic, which I think is good.

I also think this looks more fun than running from chest-high-wall to chest-high-wall.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:46 pm

A Quake Clone is a Quake Clone and a Cod Clone is a CoD clone. Like it or not Cod sets the Standard thus isn't generic itself yet everything that follows that standard is generic.

Last i Checked Crysis still has its suit powers which make it more akin to Halo than Cod. Your Fighting Aliens, You have a Suit with Nanoshielding, You have a stealth Power and a Superspeed/strength power, Your a Super Soldier not Mr. Regeneration with a Hitscan Rifle.

Farcry 3 is based on what the Farcry Predator expansion for the first game Which was Stealth-Action First Person shooter that had multiplayer again more comparable to Halo's. (That had really bad AI for stealth).
Did you even watch the Demo? The Demo didn't have the Main character Sitting behind a wall regenerating his health, He killed more people with a Knife Kill or with a Tiger than an assault rifle. That's different and a good sign in my opinion.

You can literally play Quake Live for free on your browser for a better quake experience. Shootmania really had no reason to be made, unless they plan on releasing it for dirt cheap since all it showed, and looked like was just a Multiplayer only Quake stripped down to its base elements.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:05 pm

sorry to say it gauz, but ruski and dragoon are right, this is a strait rip from a single UT gametype, and it doesnt even seem to be as involved as UT can be.

being Not CoD doesn't mean it isn't a generic shooter, and the weapons that are claimed to be a "rocket launcher" seem no more tactical or game-changing than a generic assault rifle
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3965
Registration date : 2008-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:17 pm

Gauz is young enough to have never really experienced playing Unreal or Quake though, so it seems new and exciting for him.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:18 pm

dragoon9105 wrote:A Quake Clone is a Quake Clone and a Cod Clone is a CoD clone. Like it or not Cod sets the Standard thus isn't generic itself yet everything that follows that standard is generic.
CoD 4 wasn't generic because it basically started the whole modern war shooter thing, so it was unlike other FPS's. Every game after CoD 4 that is still CoD is generic because it's in the same group as CoD 4... what does it even matter if I call a CoD game generic or not? It's just a word, and if I call it generic or not doesn't change the fact: it is.

dragoon9105 wrote: Did you even watch the Demo? The Demo didn't have the Main character Sitting behind a wall regenerating his health, He killed more people with a Knife Kill or with a Tiger than an assault rifle. That's different and a good sign in my opinion.
Yeah I saw the video, I saw the fancy scripted auto-lock knife kills. I also saw lots of strategically placed chest-high-walls that are just begging to be hid behind when you take a pounding.

dragoon9105 wrote: Shootmania really had no reason to be made, unless they plan on releasing it for dirt cheap since all it showed, and looked like was just a Multiplayer only Quake stripped down to its base elements.

Dude, its source material (Quake 3) is like 11-12 years old, that alone is enough of a reason. Not only but this is NOT QUAKE! Yes, they're strikingly similar, but they have different aspects that make them what they are. Quake III has a bunch of different guns, this one only has really 2 (not a bad thing).

Srsly, find another reason other than "herp it's Quake" because not really and so what?
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:Gauz is young enough to have never really experienced playing Unreal or Quake though, so it seems new and exciting for him.
I know what Quake is, I know PLENTY of old games.

Just like I know plenty of old movies, and books. No I'm not young and stupid, I'm just trying to be objective and rational. The game honestly does look fun, yeah I can play Quake III and it'll be similar but a newer updated version of an old game isn't bad.

Ask Valve, they're making Dota 2.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:21 pm

well gauz, if you want the argument of "its not quake" to be put to the side you need to also drop the "its so original and different" argument, because it isn't
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:24 pm

I didn't once say it was original, you'll hardly ever hear me call any game "original" either.

I said it was different to most FPS's today/shown at E3.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Gauz wrote:

This on the other hand, does not look generic.

KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:26 pm

Looking at it "objectively" then it's a game with a 6 multiplayer person cap, 2 kinds of weapons, 1 type of game match and with those stats i'm going to say only 3 or 4 maps.

Pass.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by A_Bearded_Swede Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 pm

Gauz wrote:Oh you couldn't be farther from the truth. Crysis 3 looked generic. Farcry 3 looked generic. CoD looked generic. Dead Space 3 (as of E3) looked generic. Medal Of Honor looked generic. Gears of War looked generic.

The only game you listed that seems generic is the new Medal of Honor game...

AND

How the fuck did Farcry 3 look generic? That game looks like its going to be batshit crazy with its story. It hardly seems generic. But i dunno how your brain works there bud.

Also

I'm guessing you are calling the other games generic for being similar to their previous titles in the series.... Yeah no, games in an ongoing series are supposed to have similar gameplay. If they dont you have that bullshit like the one Zelda game on the cd rom crap.
A_Bearded_Swede
A_Bearded_Swede
Crimson Chef

Male Number of posts : 1743
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:34 pm

there is nothing wrong with generic anyways, there are tons of "generic" games that I find really fun...

I'm just skeptical of a game that could be modded into UT3 in a few weeks. actually, someone in my intro to game design class DID mod something similar to this.

it was fun, but his level designs wern't great

the gametype is old as can be, and although there is nothing wrong with few weapons, variety is the spice of life and the mechanics of a game would need to be FANTASTIC to make up for lack of versitility of play, but they just look like what we have seen before
KrAzY
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:36 pm

KrAzY wrote:
Gauz wrote:

This on the other hand, does not look generic.

Generic: of, applicable to, or referring to all the members of a genus, class, group, or kind; general.

The group I was referring to: Mainstream AAA FPS titles and the FPS's shown at E3 (Why? because this is an FPS, so there's the link)

ShootMania is not generic when being compared to the group I was specifically referring to, that's that.

Lord Pheonix wrote:Looking at it "objectively" then it's a game with a 6 multiplayer person cap, 2 kinds of weapons, 1 type of game match and with those stats i'm going to say only 3 or 4 maps.

Pass.
Idk if that really is the multiplayer cap, 2 kinds of weapons shown thus far (and yeah there wont be very many), there is more than one game mode, and yeah it'll be released with 3 environments but also include a Map editor for some player made content if you want to.

I can see why you wouldn't like that, and I'm beyond fine if you don't for that reason. I was only upset that one would so easily dismiss it for being similar to Quake III, that's dumb.

The fun in this game will be around the gameplay, the developers claimed they wanted fewer weapons to minimize the time spent not in gameplay, which is a noble cause given that gameplay is everything to a game. The gameplay is designed around that whole skill-intensive arena style combat, much like Quake was. I'm pretty sure this game was made to be a new 'tournament' game, which it'll do really well I will assume.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:47 pm

KrAzY wrote:there is nothing wrong with generic anyways, there are tons of "generic" games that I find really fun...

I'm just skeptical of a game that could be modded into UT3 in a few weeks. actually, someone in my intro to game design class DID mod something similar to this.

it was fun, but his level designs wern't great

the gametype is old as can be, and although there is nothing wrong with few weapons, variety is the spice of life and the mechanics of a game would need to be FANTASTIC to make up for lack of versitility of play, but they just look like what we have seen before
Sure, there's nothing wrong with generic, hell some of the games showed at E3 could end up being really good. I'm more saying I've been playing games very similar to these since whenever the hell CoD 4 came out, and this game <ShootMania> is a break of pace, as in I haven't seen something like it recently.

Please don't take my words way out of context, I don't want to turn this into a huge argument of "What is recently?" or something else really nitpicky...

Sorry if I sounded like I was bashing all those games and that makes you upset, and if you don't like it that's fine.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Divine Virus Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:13 am

The way I see it is this, and I do speak only for myself. This game may not have a number attached to its name like so many of the games we've seen at E3, but that being said it also didn't show anything to me that would make it stand out or even want to to get it.

Perhaps it was due to a lackluster showing of the game (nothing was really explained well) or perhaps it's just not my style of gameplay. As time goes by, will this title become interesting? Who knows, Guess I'll wait and see but, as of right now, it's not on my radar. This could just be because I don't know enough about the game. Also, if it's PC only, then that wouldn't do me any good. At least for now.
Divine Virus
Divine Virus
Crimson Epidemic

Male Number of posts : 3125
Registration date : 2008-08-23

Back to top Go down

Post by dragoon9105 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:43 am

I greatly enjoy a good game of old style Bunny Hopping Railgun intensive Gameplay. But when i do I go with Quake or Unreal. The Game being like Quake isn't a bad thing. The Game showing two weapons, one Map, and frankly what looked to be rather simple map layout, (Big ass staircase cut in three) At E3, its biggest and for some people only chance to make an impression, and it fell right on its face.

Now thats not to say Quake Multiplayer has a variety of weapons since everyone uses the Rockets Railgun and shotgun but the other options are there for those skilled enough. These guys had 1 person with a launcher on each team and twin rail guns, Fine in a competitive aspect but your showing off the game not your Railgun timing.

From What i've seen it looks like a stripped down slightly shinier version of Quake live.
dragoon9105
dragoon9105
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:24 am

Few triple-A games can be said to be completely unique and they largely set the pace for standards.

Is this game a completely new idea? No.

Is it a quake ripoff? No.

I'm sure some guy saw elements from old and new games and thought "what would happen if I mixed traits A, B, and C from games X, Y, and Z?" I'm sure it involves a lot of elements from Quake, Team Fortress, Call of Duty, Halo, and the like. I'd consider that enough to justify calling it unique - although, at its core, not original (but then, is anything?).

It looks interesting to me but far too empty. I'd rather not pay for team-based MP games like Team Fortress, Monday Night Combat, Tribes Ascend, or Brink. I don't care much for matchmaking with team games (especially shooters) and there usually aren't enough people I know online at once to get a team together. Combined with a lack of quality single-player, I don't get much value from these games.

Could still be interesting to watch as it's developed.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:30 am

It's by the same guys who made Trackmania, and if they manage to make it as fun as Trackmania, then I'm sold.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:09 pm

I thought I would include that in the OP but didn't think anyone knew what trackmania was.

Anyway, I think the game has real potential for the "Professional Gaming" scene. In fact, it seems like it was almost made for tournament play.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum