Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

+10
KristallNacht
RX
Rotaretilbo
Angatar
GreyApothecary
Nocbl2
Lord Pheonix
Death no More
CivBase
mcz
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:47 pm

mcz wrote:2Rot: I never said that I dislike Dead Space, its a great game and I have finished both twice, but the instances where you are supposed to be attack but you aren't are so few, I could easily count them on my one hand.

In the first chapter alone there were about three or four such instances. You'd need at least a few score fingers to a hand to pull off such a feat.

mcz wrote:My brother is 25 and also loves horror movies, novels, games and never finished the game, he said its too repetitive, that it feels like a non stop: Get in a room, kill some random enemies, rince and repeat.
There should have been more instances where you don't fight, but basically every room had some enemies, even the bonus rooms sometimes had enemies. The only part that invoked a tiny bit of horror in me was when you were fighting the invincible guy. You knew that no matter how many times you sliced him, he will still come after you, which was really cool and there should have been much more of these in the games, if not most of them, with only a very few limited and environment specific ways of killing them.

The Juggernaut necromorph wasn't really that frightening. It was thrilling, but not frightening. It was an "oh shit, I can't kill this thing" sort of excitement, but not an "oh shit, I just shit myself" sort of horror. This just goes to further my original point that the horror games of your childhood so psychologically affected you so as to completely desensitize you to horror. You don't even seem to understand what horror is, confusing it with adrenaline wrought by thrilling moments or just intense action that requires retreat rather than direct action.

mcz wrote:The game design was fun for the most part in DS, but you had guns ! And a lot of and powerful guns ! How could I feel afraid of ANYTHING, when I had such an insane arsenal of so vastly destructive weapons like force gun or line gun ? That is the main reason why the game couldn't even hope to scare me. I am walking down the corridor in a huge power armor with huge guns, so how can anyone even hope to defeat me ? A necromorph jumps at me and I blast him across the room pieces of him flying everywhere. Wow, that really scared me, the only thing that is scary about this game is how insanely powerful you are, even on impossible. Maybe if dead space had only 1/5 of its enemies, or even 1/10 but which were a hundred times stronger, than it might be scary, because every confrontation with the enemy would be deadly, unlike here where you can fight off 20 necromorphs easily.

Maybe if you were playing on the absolute lowest difficulty, or playing with an account that had every single unlock from the start. Try playing the game on a fresh profile on the upper difficulties. Necromorphs can one or two shot you, ammo is basically impossible to come by, and enemy AI is far more intelligent. That is part of what makes Dead Space so good. You have the ability to fight back, so you can see just how futile it is.

mcz wrote:Other thing, the ghoul by Richard Upton Pickman is by far one of the scarriest things I have EVER seen. I mean just look at it, those eyes are like real, I get some serious paranoia when I look at it for too long. I once remember like 2 months ago when I played it, that my game froze for like 10 seconds longer on that painting than it should. I was pressing all the buttons furiously but nothing worked and then I started to feel hysteria buidling up inside me. Luckily, the screen unfroze and I could continue. There is something really disturbing about the image, maybe that it has been painted from real life ?

I think you're just broken. It's a painting. The painting doesn't exhibit any strange qualities. The only reason to be afraid of it at all is when a cheesy narrator implies that it is a nonfictional painting. And even then, its more of a "oh, interesting" rather than "that shit is scary".

This is very clearly an instance of psychosomatic fear. You are afraid of it because when you were a kid, it scared the fuck out of you. Because you were a kid. I used to have the hilarious notion that The Relic was the most frightening movie in existence. This was because it was the very first rated R movie I ever watched, which occurred when I was about 8. I had nightmares for years. But having rewatched the movie, it isn't really that scary. It has an interesting plot, but it isn't even a proper horror film. It's a fantasy action film with visceral horror elements weaved in now and then.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ? - Page 2 Empty Re: Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

Post by KristallNacht Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:47 pm

the only horror things I've really seen are japanese horror films. Because they're psycho-horror, not action-horror.
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:00 pm

I personally also prefer Asian-style psychological horror, but I think its just because we're overexposed to Western visceral horror. I feel like Dead Space has a good mix of the two, either way.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:05 pm

Japanese know how to fuck with your head.

If we go to war with them again, their psychological warfare program will defeat us before a single shot is fired.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:20 pm

Amnesia scared the sh!t out of me. Im still lacking the male genitalia to finish the main campaign, nevermind the free DLC or all the custom stories I downloaded. Main reason this game reigns supreme is the amazing atmosphere and sound effects (a good surround sound head set does wonders) and the fact that you arent packing enough heat to take down a small army.

No weapons = threat level amplified x100

Anyone heard of the Wii game Ju-On? Its an on-rails game like DS Extraction but its set in the "Grudge movie setting". Anyways theres an emulator that allows you to play it on PC.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:47 pm

I prefer games like Dead Space to Amnesia because I prefer horror games that are like "sure, try to shoot the enemies, it's not going to work" to games that are like "just hide until they go away". Don't get me wrong, Amnesia's horror atmosphere is amazing, but it kind of feels like a Splinter Cell game in the sense that I'm just waiting for the "guards" to go somewhere else. Dead Space isn't the best example, but games where you have a gun and it just isn't very effective are a lot more scary, because they eliminate the "well, if I had a gun, this wouldn't be so bad" element of games like Amnesia.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Back to top Go down

Post by Ascendant Justice Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:11 am

One thing that Dead Space does extremely well imo, is their intros. The whole thing where you being chased and cant do shit all about it really does well to get the blood flowing as you enter the game's world.

I guess to me, how well Im able to "deal" with a threat determines how scared of something I am (exluding jump scares). In Dead Space, it all depends on how much ammo Im carrying (also some areas are dreadful).

In Amnesia I cant do shit all against something bad. I guess the reason is that I REALLY allow myself to get immersed. Game feels more realistic. It not being in the future, the main character breathing heavily when hes scared all does wonders. The only way that you can not be scared of something is if you remember that a monster is just a badly programmed AI :p Something that can be stopped by a knee-high wooden bedframe placed across a doorway (lulz).

I dunno, the way I judge horror games is not by gameplay and such, but by how scared I get. Dead Space had some good jump scared, excellent atmosphere, and a few areas that I dreaded. But I finished it.

In Amnesia, I've have had a few areas where I literally was afraid to move forward. No horror game to date has done that to me. And its atmosphere is beyond excellent (IMHO). I have not finished Amnesia. Ive had it for like 4 months and I havent completed half the game.

EDIT: FUCK YOU EMOTICONS

EDIT 2: Bollocks.
Ascendant Justice
Ascendant Justice
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2136
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:20 pm

How can you be afraid in dead space ? You have so insanely powerful guns like line gun and force gun AND YES I did play on impossible and finished it !
How can you say that Juggernaut (or whatever that invincible thing is) was not scary when you followed by a sentence " I like 'sure, try to shoot the enemies, it's not going to work" ? That doesnt make any sense at all. On that note, the thing is that you can't kill is that you always have to be on your guard when the chase starts, so you have a permanent feeling of despair, as you can't kill it, only run further.

Amnesia was like a thousand times scarier, but still, I was much more afraid at for example Silent Hill or the game that I never finnished, Forbidden Siren.

As far as horror movies go, Uzumaki is my all time favourite
mcz
mcz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:57 pm

Plus having the foam finger gun that literally shoots with a sound of a guy saying "bang bang" really takes out the fear of the game.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2