Crimson Flame
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

+10
KristallNacht
RX
Rotaretilbo
Angatar
GreyApothecary
Nocbl2
Lord Pheonix
Death no More
CivBase
mcz
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ? Empty Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

Post by mcz Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:29 pm

Well I certainly wasn't ! People said, "get this game, its great and SUPER SCARY!" and I was like Very Happy So I went out there and bought it. I have to say it's a GREAT game, it's really fun and entertaining, has great music, perfect and thrilling story, but I wasn't really scared even once. A few times I was shocked by the sudden monster appearance but never felt fear.

I think that people today are too wussy. They see a monster and immediately call it a scary game (F.E.A.R.). Check the games like Shadow of the Comet or Darkseed series or Forbidden Siren. Hell, even Silent Hill is like a 100 more scary, as you approach something which you can't make out and then suddenly you realize what it is. The horror in these games creeps at you very slowly and by realizing what you are experiencing, you start to be afraid.

What is your opinion on this subject ?

Do you know any good scary game ? Please leave a comment, I enjoy them very very much Kool
mcz
mcz
Minion

Male Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-28

Back to top Go down

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ? Empty Re: Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

Post by CivBase Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:53 pm

Been a while since ya last visited, hasn't it?

I have nothing else to say lol. The only 'horror' game I have is Dead Space... and I haven't played past the second level yet >.>
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ? Empty Re: Amnesia: The dark descent.... were you afraid ?

Post by mcz Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 pm

No, I have been lurking around since the dawn of time, but I never had anything to say. I just enjoyed to read all your comments.

And on the 2nd thing. Dead space, well, yeah, it is 'horror' game, with no horror to speak of Very Happy
mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:38 pm

mcz wrote:

And on the 2nd thing. Dead space, well, yeah, it is 'horror' game, with no horror to speak of Very Happy

Dead space is a scary game but you sound like you've played to many horror games to actually be scared by it. The first time I played it I was scared out of my mind, the game got me and I loved it. The problem here isn't that dead space has no horror in it(quite the contrary), it's that your too desensitized to even think it's scary.

I say this with absolutely no bias.

Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 2178
Registration date : 2009-03-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 pm

Well, considering I get scared easily, I think it's not really true. Maybe it's because I can see it's a game but that wouldn't explain why I still have nightmares for like 15 years about this from Shadow of the Comet.click only if you dare

But maybe yeah, you are right after all Very Happy

ps. I only have nightmares about the very 1st painting, I mean, from Shadow of the Comet, otherwise I have many other monstrosities hunting me in the darkness, with vast majority being many times scarier than Dead Space necromorphs or grunts from Amnesia.
mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by CivBase Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Dead Space was startling... not scarey.
CivBase
CivBase
Adbot

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm

When they make a Slender Man game where your only weapon is your wits(which you would have none of) and fuck all else THEN I will be afraid of video games.

Till then, I play in dark room alone and naked fearing no man (but Eldrich abominations fuck yes)
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7574
Registration date : 2008-03-23

https://crimsonflame.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:11 pm

DS 2 isn't that scary DNM...

It just gets your blood pumping.
Nocbl2
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyApothecary Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:24 am

considering i haven't played Amnesia i have no comment
GreyApothecary
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-09-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:44 am

In Dead Space, the second room the Hunter ambushes you scared the shit out of me because of how many Necromorphs there were, and the door didn't open for a few minutes.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:25 am

Nocbl2 wrote:DS 2 isn't that scary DNM...

and that's it ! Being startled or shocked is nothing compared to thinking about a game for years and not getting it out of your head.

BTW. Slender Man game would be cool. But they are all already dead, so not much point of making it, except for the lolz Smile
mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:13 am

Well good thing I wasn't just referring to DS2.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:54 am

Death no More wrote:

Well good thing I wasn't just referring to DS2.

Wait, he meant DS 2 as Dead Space ? Aw hell, I thought he meant Dark Seed 2

Last edited by mcz on Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total
mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:35 pm

mcz wrote:And on the 2nd thing. Dead space, well, yeah, it is 'horror' game, with no horror to speak of Very Happy

mcz wrote:Well, considering I get scared easily, I think it's not really true.

I doubt that. It sounds more like you played a few very specific games a long time ago, when you scared easy, and now your mind has elevated them to ungodly proportions. I watched that video of yours, and was sorely disappointed. It is just a recounting of references to various Lovecraftian and Mythos works.

You don't seem to even really understand what horror is. Dead Space certainly contained horror. The environment, sound design, and game interface were amazingly well done. For me, playing on the 360, it really felt like I was Isaac because the controls really lent themselves to being bulky, and the overhead view personalized it just enough while still giving you that last minute warning as a Necromorph reared up to strike you from behind. I wouldn't call Dead Space the greatest horror game, but it knew how to scare, and it wasn't about startling, either. Many of the scariest moments in Dead Space are moments that involve no combat at all. You're walking along a hallway, you catch a glimpse of a Necromorph crawling into the vents just ahead of you, and then the lights fail. You expect attack immediately, but from what direction? You're at a three-way intersection, so you back into the corner of the shallowest, a dead end, pointing your flashlight down the hallway, occasionally up to check the vents. You can just vaguely hear the whispers in the back of your head. But an attack never comes. And as time passes, the dread only builds. Dead Space was filled with moments such as this, moments where you thought you were about to be attacked, but where you were not. There were dozens, even scores of instances where I recognized a classic "scare area" and went in cautiously, expecting a scare, where none came.

On top of that, Dead Space is a classic example of how reliant horror is on sound. The sound design in Dead Space was simply flawless. Every little drip of water, every random creak, could be an enemy. Paranoia sets in. You spin around at every slight sound. Was that the AC kicking on, or a Necromorph dropping behind you?

The big combat wasn't necessarily scary in its own right, but it was extremely hectic, which added an element of fear. You weren't in control. When you entered a big room and Necromorphs just start dropping around you, you couldn't just calmly shoot them one by one. You had to run every which way, dodging this way and that, blasting away often carelessly. And in those few moments where it presented targets at a distance where you could calmly shoot them one by one, it was usually a trap to steal your focus from the Necromorph coming up behind you.

At the end, Necromorphs played on the same values that Head Crabs do, but on a much greater scale. Even on the lower settings, when Necromorphs don't do shit as far as damage goes, they evoke fear because they don't just charge at you. Where a Head Crab will make an unprepared player freak out and probably waste some ammo, the Necromorphs are much more willing to mindfuck you.

It is frankly at least a little ignorant to claim that Dead Space contains no horror at all. It is certainly not the scariest game out there, but the horror elements in the game are still well done, by all accounts.
Rotaretilbo
Rotaretilbo
Magnificent Bastard

Male Number of posts : 4541
Registration date : 2008-07-21

http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Death no More Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Couldn't have said it better myself Rot.
Death no More
Death no More
Lord's Personal Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:03 am

2Rot: I never said that I dislike Dead Space, its a great game and I have finished both twice, but the instances where you are supposed to be attack but you aren't are so few, I could easily count them on my one hand. My brother is 25 and also loves horror movies, novels, games and never finished the game, he said its too repetitive, that it feels like a non stop: Get in a room, kill some random enemies, rince and repeat.
There should have been more instances where you don't fight, but basically every room had some enemies, even the bonus rooms sometimes had enemies. The only part that invoked a tiny bit of horror in me was when you were fighting the invincible guy. You knew that no matter how many times you sliced him, he will still come after you, which was really cool and there should have been much more of these in the games, if not most of them, with only a very few limited and environment specific ways of killing them.
The game design was fun for the most part in DS, but you had guns ! And a lot of and powerful guns ! How could I feel afraid of ANYTHING, when I had such an insane arsenal of so vastly destructive weapons like force gun or line gun ? That is the main reason why the game couldn't even hope to scare me. I am walking down the corridor in a huge power armor with huge guns, so how can anyone even hope to defeat me ? A necromorph jumps at me and I blast him across the room pieces of him flying everywhere. Wow, that really scared me, the only thing that is scary about this game is how insanely powerful you are, even on impossible. Maybe if dead space had only 1/5 of its enemies, or even 1/10 but which were a hundred times stronger, than it might be scary, because every confrontation with the enemy would be deadly, unlike here where you can fight off 20 necromorphs easily.

Other thing, the ghoul by Richard Upton Pickman is by far one of the scarriest things I have EVER seen. I mean just look at it, those eyes are like real, I get some serious paranoia when I look at it for too long. I once remember like 2 months ago when I played it, that my game froze for like 10 seconds longer on that painting than it should. I was pressing all the buttons furiously but nothing worked and then I started to feel hysteria buidling up inside me. Luckily, the screen unfroze and I could continue. There is something really disturbing about the image, maybe that it has been painted from real life ?

mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:03 am

Did you play DeadSpace 2 on Hardcore? If not, you should try it.
Angatar
Angatar
Lord's Personal Minion

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by RX Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 am

Talking of scary: When I was younger I stopped playing Zelda: OoT for a year because of them damned skeletons at Hyrule Field.

Needless to say, I did not do well at the shadow temple when I reached it..

and I liked F.E.A.R., it got me pretty terrified at moments when that damned little girl popped up. So I'd call F.E.A.R. 1 a good horror game, 2 and 3 are too concentrated on being shooters imo.
RX
RX
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1958
Registration date : 2008-12-12

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:13 pm

fear 3 had its final little boss fight thing was fairly adrenaline pumping and just on the border of being legitimately scary. I'm not gonna have nightmares over it, but it does amp up the stress
KristallNacht
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:27 pm

It's hard to feel scared of something in a game when you are holding an automatic weapon/shotgun.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by mcz Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Lord Fucking Pheonix wrote:It's hard to feel scared of something in a game when you are holding an automatic weapon/shotgun.

My point exactly, especially in Dead Space where you wear power armor and huge guns with insane power
mcz
mcz
Minion

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:59 pm

And the ability to stop time and enemies.
Lord Pheonix
Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Back to top Go down

Post by Onyxknight Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Rotaretilbo wrote:
mcz wrote:And on the 2nd thing. Dead space, well, yeah, it is 'horror' game, with no horror to speak of Very Happy

mcz wrote:Well, considering I get scared easily, I think it's not really true.

I doubt that. It sounds more like you played a few very specific games a long time ago, when you scared easy, and now your mind has elevated them to ungodly proportions. I watched that video of yours, and was sorely disappointed. It is just a recounting of references to various Lovecraftian and Mythos works.

You don't seem to even really understand what horror is. Dead Space certainly contained horror. The environment, sound design, and game interface were amazingly well done. For me, playing on the 360, it really felt like I was Isaac because the controls really lent themselves to being bulky, and the overhead view personalized it just enough while still giving you that last minute warning as a Necromorph reared up to strike you from behind. I wouldn't call Dead Space the greatest horror game, but it knew how to scare, and it wasn't about startling, either. Many of the scariest moments in Dead Space are moments that involve no combat at all. You're walking along a hallway, you catch a glimpse of a Necromorph crawling into the vents just ahead of you, and then the lights fail. You expect attack immediately, but from what direction? You're at a three-way intersection, so you back into the corner of the shallowest, a dead end, pointing your flashlight down the hallway, occasionally up to check the vents. You can just vaguely hear the whispers in the back of your head. But an attack never comes. And as time passes, the dread only builds. Dead Space was filled with moments such as this, moments where you thought you were about to be attacked, but where you were not. There were dozens, even scores of instances where I recognized a classic "scare area" and went in cautiously, expecting a scare, where none came.

On top of that, Dead Space is a classic example of how reliant horror is on sound. The sound design in Dead Space was simply flawless. Every little drip of water, every random creak, could be an enemy. Paranoia sets in. You spin around at every slight sound. Was that the AC kicking on, or a Necromorph dropping behind you?

The big combat wasn't necessarily scary in its own right, but it was extremely hectic, which added an element of fear. You weren't in control. When you entered a big room and Necromorphs just start dropping around you, you couldn't just calmly shoot them one by one. You had to run every which way, dodging this way and that, blasting away often carelessly. And in those few moments where it presented targets at a distance where you could calmly shoot them one by one, it was usually a trap to steal your focus from the Necromorph coming up behind you.

At the end, Necromorphs played on the same values that Head Crabs do, but on a much greater scale. Even on the lower settings, when Necromorphs don't do shit as far as damage goes, they evoke fear because they don't just charge at you. Where a Head Crab will make an unprepared player freak out and probably waste some ammo, the Necromorphs are much more willing to mindfuck you.

It is frankly at least a little ignorant to claim that Dead Space contains no horror at all. It is certainly not the scariest game out there, but the horror elements in the game are still well done, by all accounts.
i agrre with your points and id like to add a few things.
Ammo(especially on the harder difficulties) was hard to come by, so not only do you have those instances your also wondering how much ammo you have and how much you'll have after your next fight,there had been instances where id go through an area or level with little to no ammo and/or health.
Onyxknight
Onyxknight
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1833
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I be scared when played Marathon.

Last edited by BBJynne on Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:00 pm

some of the super mario levels are scary.

And the clever traps even scarier.
Gauz
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next